Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm going to kick the tires on this thing again.

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
Logged into Steam and decided to give this another go. Took all day to DL, Install and update, but the game itself looks enjoyable. I was just put off by the lack of UI customization and that I couldn't set up my movement like I do in my other MMOs. It frustrated the hell out of me the 1st time I played this game.

However, I never really got a fair assessment of the game itself. I'm going to see if I can play it enough to get accustomed to the UI and experience what this one really has to offer.

I'll come back a few times to update how it's going for me.

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    What bothered you about the UI? Was it because you couldnt click on the hot bar? Not enough info? There are some pretty good UI mods out there you could check out.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    edited June 2016
    Wrong game oops
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    While i think the UI in ESO is the cleanest (and therefore best) UI in mmos for my personal taste, I understant mmo players tend to prefer the WoW/FFXIV-like clusterf*** UI with every bit of information on the screen obsctructing the view of a beautiful game. With that said, ESO on PC has a lot of UI addons(mods) that make the UI closer to what traditional mmos look like.

I used to have Minion (i think its by ZAM), an app similar to the Curse app but cleaner to manage ESO addons on PC. If you didn't like the clean UI in ESO i highly recommend you get some of the UI addons. There are really good ones.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Logged into Steam and decided to give this another go. Took all day to DL, Install and update, but the game itself looks enjoyable. I was just put off by the lack of UI customization and that I couldn't set up my movement like I do in my other MMOs. It frustrated the hell out of me the 1st time I played this game.

However, I never really got a fair assessment of the game itself. I'm going to see if I can play it enough to get accustomed to the UI and experience what this one really has to offer.

IMO the best thing you can do is avoid trying to play it as you would a quest hub game. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    I saw lots of complaints on steam about founders having to pay again. This is not true I have a founders and downloaded from Landmark website and have all of my founders items. Not sure if Daybreak should give founders steam keys but it is giving them bad remarks seeing as the game was intended to be free to play. 
    Hmmm, lol.

As for the UI issue I grabbed a UI mod yesterday that allows full movement of all the elements and it made a big difference. The vanilla UI really isn't bad, not intrusive and functions well. I would also suggest a mod to change the way the inventory functions from a list style to a grid. There are more mods you should have but a quick youtube search will help a lot more than my ramblings.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The UI issue is that I cannot remap W (WASD) to M1+M2 and use the mouse to move and turn. I hated having to use both WASD AND the 1-2-3-4 Keybinds. I prefer the 1-2-3-4 keybinds and then turn and move with the mouse.
    Distopia said:

IMO the best thing you can do is avoid trying to play it as you would a quest hub game. 
    My goal is to work on crafting. I've always enjoyed MMOs more when Crafting and leveling can go hand in hand. I have always enjoyed MMOS where I can level with gear I created. One of the reasons I truly enjoyed earlier SWTOR was because I could use mod gear and keep replacing the mods as I leveled. Then I'd give my companion my hand-me-down mods.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The UI issue is that I cannot remap W (WASD) to M1+M2 and use the mouse to move and turn. I hated having to use both WASD AND the 1-2-3-4 Keybinds. I prefer the 1-2-3-4 keybinds and then turn and move with the mouse.
    I believe only full-on tab target mmos do that because M1+M2 dont have any special attacks/defence/skill so they make it a default running button on those games. What you can do is check the keybinding options and look for an autorun button. Hopefully ESO does have one.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Distopia said:

My goal is to work on crafting. I've always enjoyed MMOs more when Crafting and leveling can go hand in hand. I have always enjoyed MMOS where I can level with gear I created. One of the reasons I truly enjoyed earlier SWTOR was because I could use mod gear and keep replacing the mods as I leveled. Then I'd give my companion my hand-me-down mods.
    Yeah agreed, I also enjoyed that aspect of TOR. Crafting seems fairly robust in ESO, I've not given much time to it though, so I have little advice to offer in regard to it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Do you have a mouse with more than 2 buttons? If so can you not bind auto run to mouse button 3?

immodium said:
    Do you have a mouse with more than 2 buttons? If so can you not bind auto run to mouse button 3?
    Not Auto-run, but W. Unless I can set it up to stop auto-run when I release the button.

But really, It's fine. It bothered me before. I'm coming into it again knowing this limitation and will just expect to adjust my game to it.

• choagiechoagie Member UncommonPosts: 4
    It is possible to map the W (forward) key to the mouse.  When you are in controls>keybindings click on one of the four mappings for Move Forward.  The trick is, when the dialogue box appears asking what key to map, move the arrow cursor into the grey field in the dialogue box and click the mouse button you want to map there. It only acknowledges mousebutton entries when the cursor is inside the grey field.

Hope that helps
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Distopia said:

ESO is the right game for you!  I love the crafting because it is the best gear and stuff.  I get to use it immediately as I make it and know that I have top tier gear at that level... especially the low levels.  I make a new set of gear about every 4 to 6 levels to keep me current.  You go to the special set crafting tables that you discover and that you have researched traits for.  So you can make gear sets with bonus for like Stamina, Health, Magika, etc.

ESO crafting is a blast, profitable and gives you the edge in pvp and/or pve.

Have fun!

Sz  :)
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Can anyone speak to grouping? I liked the game when I played, but I hated how hard they made grouping. Has grouping become more accessible and easier?

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

SaunZ said:
    Distopia said:

ESO is the right game for you!  I love the crafting because it is the best gear and stuff.  I get to use it immediately as I make it and know that I have top tier gear at that level... especially the low levels.  I make a new set of gear about every 4 to 6 levels to keep me current.  You go to the special set crafting tables that you discover and that you have researched traits for.  So you can make gear sets with bonus for like Stamina, Health, Magika, etc.

Have fun!

Is there a guide for this somewhere?
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    SaunZ said:
    Distopia said:

Have fun!

Is there a guide for this somewhere?

I don't really use a guide except for knowing the sets, where they are at, what attributes they have and how many traits I need to research per piece to craft them myself.

I use this guide to know which sets I am going to craft:  http://tamrieljournal.com/crafted-item-sets-eso/

enjoy,

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I agree about the crafting its quite good in ESO. One aspect I like in particular is that you can find these special crafting stations scattered throughout the world that make special named gear. If you don't look at the internet to find the exact locations, its fun to explore the world trying to find them.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    dreamer05 said:
    Can anyone speak to grouping? I liked the game when I played, but I hated how hard they made grouping. Has grouping become more accessible and easier?
    Tricky question. The "tool" is better but there seem to be people who don't know about it. And on the PC side I suspect it has a "legacy reputation".

May be different on consoles.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Always a good idea to give a game a fair assessment.  Those, 'I played for 30 minutes and the game is the worst in history' reports we get periodically, drive me nuts.  I'm a firm believer of giving something a good test drive before making a final decision.

I self identify as a monkey.

I think I may have found an acceptable key-map. At least for now. I bound "W" to M3, "1" to M4 and "2" to M5.
    I'll see how this goes for me.

I've also created and deleted about 6 characters. OK, so I am well acquainted with Lyris and The Prophet now. LOL. 

I have tried the Hight Elf Sorc about 2 times, I'm on my second DK ATM, this time, a Dunmer. I've yet to see what a NB feels like. I may try that one later this evening.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    dreamer05 said:
    Somewhat... but the game still makes use of a lot of phasing and several "solo only" instances. Those solo instances though are clearly marked and they are all part of the main game or zone story lines.

You can not group everywhere all the time but you can most of the time.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED