Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft movie NA mediocre sales opening day.

Comments

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited June 2016
    Aori said:
    Kabaal said:
    It doesn't matter how well it does from this point onwards anyway, it's already made more than it's production cost back so it's all profit from here on in.
    They still have to pay for marketing. Taxes and theater fees also take a chunk too. The amount they need is between 400-500m.
    Apparently marketing was expensive too.

They need 540mil before they begin making any profit. It's safe to say there won't be a sequel if Warcraft doesn't make at least 600mil.

Besides that number is probably even higher as Warcraft will do very poorly domesticaly. Internationally they lose 90% of all the money there, due to taxes, cinemas taking their fees which is always at least half etc.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Albatroes said:
    People really think WoW is bigger than what it really is/was. Its big in the mmorpg world, but not so much compared to other entertainment franchises.
    WoW is still huge, no joke. And not just in America
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    DMKano said:
    The acting was painful to watch.

The script was really bad.

My wife walked out of the movie and went shopping - I should have done the same thing, but foolishly I stayed.

It wasn't all horrible.

The CGI was actually good, the orcs were good -but just not good enough as the rest of it was so damn dull.

They should have just made a 100% in house Blizzard CGI movie and it would have been 100x better IMO

You thing you could do better ?
    You could act better ?
    You could write a better script?
    Oh please ....give us a break all glorious critique
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited June 2016
    This movie had bad acting, a rushed script and felt like to much was being smashed into one movie making scenes feel incomplete like batman v superman. And lets be honest if this wasn't wow and didn't offer nostalgia we would have all hated it.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    filmoret said:
    Volgore said:
    cronius77 said:
    i watched it , theaters was mostly empty here. The movie was terrible though, Travis Fimmel is def a one type of emotion actor no emotion at all and he did all his stupid vikings faces.
    I wrote that in my quick impression-thread in the warcraft forums and wonder why nobody else noticed this.
    Travis Fimmel's acting seems to be incredibly one-dimensional. People either love or hate his acting in Vikings, but it's definately lame to see Ragnar Lothbrok in Lothar.

Except for Garon, the casting was horrible altogether. Ben Foster was completely lost and borderline irritating in his role as Medivh.
    They got better and more renown actors like Clancy Brown or Tony Kebbell for the CGI-orcs and left us with Ruth Negga as a totally non-majestic queen and Dominic Cooper as a miscast king Wrynn without character.

Yea the Travis guy plays a good Ragnar.  We haven't seen him anywhere else so we really don't know about his ability to act.  Are you saying that he basically acted like Ragnar when playing Lothar?
    You can definately see it. Same mimics and at times even the same gestures.

Last night i re-watched very briefly a scene in which Khadgar and Lothar examine a dead body and even in that few seconds i noticed it again.

You thing you could do better ?
    You could act better ?
    You could write a better script?
    Oh please ....give us a break all glorious critique
    You don't have to be a movie director to not like a movie.
    You don't have to be an actor to tell if others act bad.
    You don't have to be a writer to dislike a story.

I guess you are also playing every videogame there is on the market and eat at every restaurant, because unless you have made a game yourself or are a cook, you just can't critizise any of them.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    DMKano said:
    Kabaal said:
    It doesn't matter how well it does from this point onwards anyway, it's already made more than it's production cost back so it's all profit from here on in.
    The production cost was $180 million.

The marketing cost was - unknown - but pretty huge.

Then there's distribution costs, fees to theaters etc...

There's a LOT more hidden costs to cover before you hit  the "gravy train"  in movies

$160 million was the budget for the film including marketing from the film makers.  Blizzard's own marketing budget is unknown, but their profits come from selling the rights, any more eyes it puts on Blizzard products, and future revenues from sales and rebroadcasts.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    JDis25 said:
    Albatroes said:
    People really think WoW is bigger than what it really is/was. Its big in the mmorpg world, but not so much compared to other entertainment franchises.
    WoW is still huge, no joke. And not just in America
    Agreed, it always amazes me how uninformed people are about wow.

Wow still at it's lowest point makes a billion dollars a year, they have 5 million subscribers which is 9 times more than it's nearest competitor.  I can't think of one other mmorpg that has 1 million subscribers let alone 5 (inb4 registered players)

There is nothing on the market that comes close to wow, it's not as popular as it was but it's still the clear unmatched winner of the genre.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited June 2016
    watched it last day and it was decent, actualy more close of good that bad

we got so many bad movie... all the others they releases are not better that the warcraft one, yet the critic act they are so much better lol....if you follow critic that sad honestly...

the metacritic review from user are 7.8 or something, mean that good, yet the critic say that 2.0 or something.

critic often give 10/10 on ultra bad games when they releases, and peoples give it 1/10...

im trusting more the critic of the real peoples that these fool, in fact when critic say a movie realy bad im usualy just go to see it and often im enjoying it, when they say a games releases and that 10/10 im waiting for a few real gameplay and review before order the games !! i dodge some pretty bad games this way.

critic are wrong, for me real critic would give overall a good view of the general peoples if you will enjoy something or not, kinda a general.

but right now you got critic who give warcraft a 1/10 because it dont follow the ''lore'' of the games, honestly?

if you want know if the movie good or bad, go see it, for me that was good, but that my taste.

would never follow critic
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited June 2016
    Horusra said:
    DMKano said:
    Kabaal said:

There's a LOT more hidden costs to cover before you hit  the "gravy train"  in movies

$160 million was the budget for the film including marketing from the film makers.  Blizzard's own marketing budget is unknown, but their profits come from selling the rights, any more eyes it puts on Blizzard products, and future revenues from sales and rebroadcasts.
    Usually a movie has to make double the budget to make a profit, because half the sales goto the place screening the film.

Having said that, people need to keep in mind that box office is not the be all and end all.  There are toy sales, blue ray sales, netflix deals etc.

Also do people think Blizzard made this film?  Blizzard sold the rights to the film companies and nothing more, they already got their money from the deal.  How the movie does now isn't a big deal to them because it's not like they are making money off it, that's all on the 2 film companies who paid Blizzard to use the name.

Oh and Warcraft is now on it's 4th day in China and has so far taken $145m there alone.  It has made $277m so far worldwide.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-warcraft-china-1201793569/
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Volgore said:
    cronius77 said:
    i watched it , theaters was mostly empty here. The movie was terrible though, Travis Fimmel is def a one type of emotion actor no emotion at all and he did all his stupid vikings faces.
    I wrote that in my quick impression-thread in the warcraft forums and wonder why nobody else noticed this.
    Travis Fimmel's acting seems to be incredibly one-dimensional. People either love or hate his acting in Vikings, but it's definately lame to see Ragnar Lothbrok in Lothar.

Except for Garon, the casting was horrible altogether. Ben Foster was completely lost and borderline irritating in his role as Medivh.
    They got better and more renown actors like Clancy Brown or Tony Kebbell for the CGI-orcs and left us with Ruth Negga as a totally non-majestic queen and Dominic Cooper as a miscast king Wrynn without character.

it reminded me a lot of that stupid dungeon siege movie return of the king or whatever that had jason statton playing the lead in it. Travis Fimmel did nothing at all but put Ragnar Lothbrok in the movie the entire time, I feel the same as you do for sure. I honestly didn't like anything at all with the movie except the CGI was good. Other than that, it was in my opinion a movie made to try to milk mainstream and warcraft fans with little to no actual substance or care put into the movie. 
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    scorpex-x said:
    Horusra said:
    DMKano said:
    Kabaal said:

Usually a movie has to make double the budget to make a profit, because half the sales goto the place screening the film.

Having said that, people need to keep in mind that box office is not the be all and end all.  There are toy sales, blue ray sales, netflix deals etc.

Also do people think Blizzard made this film?  Blizzard sold the rights to the film companies and nothing more, they already got their money from the deal.  How the movie does now isn't a big deal to them because it's not like they are making money off it, that's all on the 2 film companies who paid Blizzard to use the name.

Oh and Warcraft is now on it's 4th day in China and has so far taken $145m there alone.  It has made $277m so far worldwide.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-warcraft-china-1201793569/
    $160 is the number being quoted by some but this may not Blizzard's "extra" marketing. Either way $500M is the gross revenue being suggested by e.g. https://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-china-record-opening-box-office-imax-results-1201769124/ (which someone linked yesterday) which is on a par with the x3 estimate often used.

Remember the mantra? As it is with games so it is with films. Cinema owner show films to make a profit. They do not provide the building, screens, pay the staff, clean up after viewers etc. just to hand all the takings over. Universal did not make and distribute the reels for free. TV and poster adverts cost money and so on.

As far as royalties go depends. Reports indicated that Legendary Pictures entered into a content licensing deal with Activision Blizzard. Which could mean anything. A guaranteed sum; a smaller guaranteed sum + "small" share of profits or a straightforward % of any profit or loss.

The nature of the deal usually reflects how much control the parties have. So if Legendary had all the control the Sam Mendez script would probably have been made and Universal would have released the film probably in February say in the US. Scrapping scripts and influencing the release date - which directly impacts potential profit/loss - suggests that Activision Blizzard may have more of a profit/loss arrangement. (Higher risk but more control and higher potential reward).
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    It is like looking at WOD, how can you say it is good ? They did nothing extra in this movie except let us know there is going to be another one at one point. But other then that it is exactly WOD lore that was given to us nothing else.

Not that much action or anything of any value. The only thing i can say is cool and thank you for giving me a crap Warcraft movie but at least thanks for making one. Would have been way better for them to just make a CGI movie ( Would have cost less also ). 

EDIT: there is 1 thing that was nice to look at and it is the way the orc woman looks at men's in this movie other then that rofllllllll
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208
    josko9 said:
    Sales in Europe were very mediocre too, so not really surprising that's it's going to flop in NA.

LOL what are you talking about it was #1 in 11 countries
    I'm cautiously optimistic that this titantic failure is going to finally sink World of Warcraft for good. It's, by all account, just a terrible movie - I have seen some reviewers actually calling it the Battlefield Earth of this generation. WoW has been an albatross around the neck of MMORPGs for too long now, dragging everyone else down to its level. If there's any justice in the world, this movie, of all things, will end the phenomenon. 
    Yeah umm well to bad for you becuase there was a dev interview only yesterday, and they already have confirmed 2 more wow expansions and more are coming after that.

scorpex-x said:
    Warcraft will most likely be the new pacific rim, a movie that did poorly in America but amazingly well everywhere else. 

The US isn't that important anymore, they are far too easily influenced by critics with an axe to grind.
    Oh really? How do you explain the success of the Transformers movies then?
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    The acting was painful to watch.

The script was really bad.

My wife walked out of the movie and went shopping - I should have done the same thing, but foolishly I stayed.

It wasn't all horrible.

The CGI was actually good, the orcs were good -but just not good enough as the rest of it was so damn dull.

They should have just made a 100% in house Blizzard CGI movie and it would have been 100x better IMO

Everyone knows what a TRION fanboy you are and completely dismisses this.
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    As an avid Warcraft fan, most important thing for me was the story, and they delivered, effects, cgi were great, and the scenery great.

Cast is all wrong tho, except orcs and few others ,seems its weak point.
    I hope theres a sequel, it can be more than this.
    As an avid Warcraft fan, most important thing for me was the story, and they delivered
    This is curious...as an avid warcraft fan, how can you like the story of the movie?
    So far i read everyone saying that even with the many shortcuts the movie takes storywise, it still misses like 30min+ of playtime to explain itself more.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I'm not surprised its doing so well in China.  They really love our movies.  The only annoying part about them though is every five minutes someone jumps up in front of the screen and yells, "cheap popcorn! visit wesellcheapwowpopcorn.com"
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited June 2016
    Albatroes said:
    Yupp, it is big in games/mmos, just not as big as maybe other franchises in movies.

Im sure all the low scores are from people who have zero clue about the Warcraft lore and were completely lost in the movie. I usually dont watch movies (its been almost a decade since i watched an entire one... Beowolf lol), and Warcraft movie really got me excited, cant wait to see it.

• Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Volgore said:
    As an avid Warcraft fan, most important thing for me was the story, and they delivered
    This is curious...as an avid warcraft fan, how can you like the story of the movie?
    So far i read everyone saying that even with the many shortcuts the movie takes storywise, it still misses like 30min+ of playtime to explain itself more.
    Becouse the movie was in the making for a decade, and untill recently believed as dead project.
    Its not rare that movies dont follow books, or this case game completely.
    If they do get funds, and get better cast, something even better will come out.Can only hope.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'm not surprised its doing so well in China.  They really love our movies.  The only annoying part about them though is every five minutes someone jumps up in front of the screen and yells, "cheap popcorn! visit wesellcheapwowpopcorn.com"
    I hear they also have a system that will allow you to pay someone else to watch the movie for you, you take over when the credits start to roll.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I'm cautiously optimistic that this titantic failure is going to finally sink World of Warcraft for good. It's, by all account, just a terrible movie - I have seen some reviewers actually calling it the Battlefield Earth of this generation. WoW has been an albatross around the neck of MMORPGs for too long now, dragging everyone else down to its level. If there's any justice in the world, this movie, of all things, will end the phenomenon. 
    Yeah umm well to bad for you becuase there was a dev interview only yesterday, and they already have confirmed 2 more wow expansions and more are coming after that.
    Agreed, a bad movie will not really hurt a game (the D&D movie certainly proved that), a good one can affect it somewhat with getting old players back with nostalgia but current players wouldn't quit no matter how bad the movie is. If you want more proof, then Uwe Boll is a great example, his lousy movies have not impacted any of the games he based them on.

As for upcoming expansions, Everquest is still releasing them so anyone thinking Wow would stop after Legion is clueless. I don't think Wow ever can come back to the golden days and slowly will bleed players with a few millions jumping in for a month after each expansion but it is a long time before it will go down.

Of course, it is not unlikely that another MMO will pass it in players. Lineage is a good bet, it is actually gaining players even if it is older than Wow (and have more than 3 mil active paying subscribers in NC softs latest numbers) but if GW2, FF XIV or ESO got a really great expansion while Wow got a bad one of them could pass as well. It better be a great expansion though because there is a huge difference between "could" and "will"...
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The numbers are in the movie grossed 10.7 million on Friday in NA. That number includes 1+ million in trailer sales.  It will require 500 million gross worldwide to break even.

Not looking good right now.
    Are you onto something or just on something?