Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Alpha 2.4 now available to all backers

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
edited June 2016 in Star Citizen

Edit: Alpha 2.4 now also on the standard LIVE server and available for all backers :-)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15355-Star-Citizen-Alpha-24-Available

***********************************************************************************************************************

The long awaited Alpha Patch 2.4 is now available to ALL backers - at the moment still only on the PTU server (but open to all). Once this final stress test is complete, it will be available on the live server (where again all backers have access). PTU will then switch to Alpha Patch 2.5 testing.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6728316

"Greetings Citizens,

As part of a final series of tests, Star Citizen Alpha 2.4 is now on the PTU for all backers to assist in stressing the servers!

SC Alpha 2.4 introduces the first iteration of in-game persistence and shopping, as well as major changes to the controls, updates to the ship roster (including making the massive Starfarer flyable in-game), bug fixes, balance updates and more! In short, this is our biggest and most important update since Star Citizen Alpha 2.0.

You can read all about the new systems below, and find a complete list of changes in the 2.4 Patch Notes here. We will have a more detailed post outlining 2.4 when we go live."

Zyloh-CIG then describes in more detail what is new in Alpha 2.4 (see the link)

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Man you missed the most important part.  The persistent universe is running.  Wonder if the economy is up or just some shops to help players get by.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Ah I see you said in-game persistence.  Sorry my brain didn't make the connection.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I wish I could like this game but this is just another Eve Online v 2.0

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    From someone with extensive knowledge about both EVE and Star Citizen -

they are VERY different.

Have fun
  • TemperHSTemperHS Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited June 2016
    SC is nothing like EVE, at all.

The only similarity is that both take place in space. It's odd to see you say that, as anyone who hasn't been living under a rock for the past few years should be well aware of how different the two games are.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Good to see that they've opened up testing,
    I hope they can get the performance bottlenecks sorted out sooner rather than later. Testing at 10 - 25 fps doesn't make the experience much fun tbh.
    edited June 2016
    I hope they can get the performance bottlenecks sorted out sooner rather than later. Testing at 10 - 25 fps doesn't make the experience much fun tbh.
    Get a 1080. People report 70 fps at ultra settings.

To get an idea how that looks like, check out this 20 min Star Citizen video run on a good machine in 4k mode. THAT is how it COULD look like if you have the right rig:

Xenthor - the video creator - has this rig.

OS - Windows 10
    M/B Asrock X99 Extreme4
    PSU Corsair HX1000i
    RAM 16 Gig Ripjaws 2400 MHz Quad channel CAS 15
    i7-5820K 4.6 GHz watercooled with Corsair H100i
    GPU Inno3D iChill Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Black Series
    SSD Samsung evo 500 Go
    Harddrive WD Blue Desktop 1 TB
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Screen Acer XB270HUbprz

Have fun

edited June 2016
    No dude :D, I'm not spending £600+ in an attempt to get better frame rates when my current card does fine in everything but Star Citizen.

The problem isn't really down to client hardware, it's primarily an engine problem. CryEngine is just sending far too much data especially with the size of the maps it's working on with SC, it's bogging their servers down, it's bogging their network down and the overload is just leading to piss poor frame-rates. They need to get a handle on dynamic deprioritising and/or network relevance or whatever you want to call it, the sooner the better.

Ben Parry (ex-Frontier dev) discusses it here https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4ndlt7/dev_response_on_possible_reasons_behind_crusader/

In the above thread you'll see people with 390X, 980Ti etc getting 15-20 fps, it doesn't seem that throwing more money at it guarantees an improvement.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Erillion said:
    Get a 1080. People report 70 fps at ultra settings.

Xenthor - the video creator - has this rig.
    OS - Windows 10
    Case - Corsair Carbide Series 330R Titanium Edition
    M/B - Asrock X99 Extreme4
    PSU - Corsair HX1000i
    RAM - Ripjaws 16Go 2400Mhz Quad-channel CAS15
    Proc. - i7-5820K 4.6Ghz, watercooled with Corsair H100i
    GPU - Inno3D iChill GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Black Series
    SSD - Samsung EVO 500 Go
    Hardrive - WD Blue Desktop 1 To
    Mouse - Logitech G502
    Screen - Acer XB270HUbprz

Have fun
    Pardon me but i will disagree on this one. I fully comprehend that SC will push the hardware boundaries however people without top range rigs should be able to enjoy the game with decent quality graphics. Something which is not case atm. I know it is Alpha but the optimization up to this point is quite poor.

Telling people to buy an expensive card like the 1080 isn't the answer.

Plus not many can afford a rig like the one said video creator has. I am one of them.
    No dude :D, I'm not spending £600+ in an attempt to get better frame rates when my current card does fine in everything but Star Citizen.
    You could also wait until the optimization is done, which follows the Alpha phase.

I am of the old Wing Commander generation. You usually had to buy a new rig when the next Wing Commander came out .. and it was worth it.

By the time SC Persistent Universe launches (my personal estimate: end of 2017) a LOT more people will have these better systems we now call high end rigs. And with these systems one can enjoy SC (to quote NVIDIA ;-) "The way it is meant to be played!" ;-)

Have fun
  • BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    This is spam. Everyone that has access knows this from his email or the official website. It is pure copy/paste spam.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I kind of remember early on when Chris was talking about pushing the limits of today's PC's and making a game for PC gamers and how excited everyone was about that concept in general.    Now people are complaining they need to upgraded their PC to play the game smoothly.  All I can say is LOL.

I have to agree with Erillion on this one.  Don't expect to have smooth game play with SC even with a moderately good PC.

Its going to take a HIGH end dedicated gaming rig to play this game in all its glory.  And that my friends is how it USED to be for the PC gamer's that can remember those days.

There was always that one game that forced you to upgrade your PC to enjoy it.  Well guess what?  There hasn't been a single PC game in the last 10 years or so that has forced me to upgrade to get better performance.  I've just been doing it anyway because I have money to do it and because PC gaming is my main hobby.  AAA Developers stopped pushing the envelope long ago,  now they treat everyone like console peasants because that's always their hope, to get it on consoles for the big sales numbers.  And the indies don't have the resources to do it.

Its about freaking time someone has started to raise the bar again.
    goboygo said:

Its about freaking time someone has started to raise the bar again.
    HEAR HEAR !

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    You could also wait until the optimization is done, which follows the Alpha phase.

I am of the old Wing Commander generation. You usually had to buy a new rig when the next Wing Commander came out .. and it was worth it.

By the time SC Persistent Universe launches (my personal estimate: end of 2017) a LOT more people will have these better systems we now call high end rigs. And with these systems one can enjoy SC (to quote NVIDIA ;-) "The way it is meant to be played!" ;-)

Have fun
    Back then you had to buy a new computer every year.  Things have evened out a bit and I'm very glad for it considering rigs back then would cost you 2k$.  But I think you are right it needs to be optimized and that phase hasn't completed yet.  I have managed to play the game on a 960m gtx.  Now I'm not pulling 60 fps and I'm not using ultra settings.  But it is definitely playable with a laptop if you aren't one of those people who must have best graphics with best fps.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Bascola said:
    This is spam. Everyone that has access knows this from his email or the official website. It is pure copy/paste spam.
    Is there a point in your reply ?

This is the SC section of MMORPG where all related info is shown as appeared in guess where.. SC / CIG webpages.

Same happens for WoW, SW TOR, ESO etc.. everything presented in their respected forums here is available on their official websites as well.

Are you leaving the same reply whenever a MMORPG member or a moderator presents news regarding the aforementioned games in their dedicated forums ?
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I know what you're saying but I don't agree with saying one should wait for optimisation.
    If on average people were getting something like 40 fps it would be acceptable. Everything would still need optimising but it would also be enjoyable to playtest, when you're getting half of that it takes a lot of the enjoyment away from it.

They're going to have to implement this stuff anyway, you can't just brute force it with better hardware, so why not start getting it in now before adding everything else to the game, they reduce server load, they reduce network bandwidth etc.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I know what you're saying but I don't agree with saying one should wait for optimisation.
    If on average people were getting something like 40 fps it would be acceptable. Everything would still need optimising but it would also be enjoyable to playtest, when you're getting half of that it takes a lot of the enjoyment away from it.

They're going to have to implement this stuff anyway, you can't just brute force it with better hardware, so why not start getting it in now before adding everything else to the game, they reduce server load, they reduce network bandwidth etc.

You may not have a choice but to brute force it or wait. I remember when the early Landmark builds were super horribad. I remember getting somewhere in the range of 5 fps. Same with Wildstar. It is sucky, but I'm assuming that there is a combination of poorly-optimized code, possibly background tools or debugging stuff. FYI, I run Wildstar at high settings at 60 fps now, after release. So it does get better. What card are you running right now? Could maybe, possibly, be an issue with the card too?

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Do not ever advise a NVidia Card if they are planning to do anything with 64bit, get an AMD 480 they're aroung 199$

Optimisation will happen in the netcode cause this is what is causing the lag, they can't optimise the other stuff without lowering the quality.
    The mysterious Dev version (1000s of scripts in the background) is a myth, there maybe 3-4 debug and monitor scripts but they should not have any heavy impact on the code otherwise they are programmed very very badly.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

Shodanas said:
    Bascola said:

This is the SC section of MMORPG where all related info is shown as appeared in guess where.. SC / CIG webpages.

Same happens for WoW, SW TOR, ESO etc.. everything presented in their respected forums here is available on their official websites as well.

Are you leaving the same reply whenever a MMORPG member or a moderator presents news regarding the aforementioned games in their dedicated forums ?
    In other forum people make discussion thread. This person here just copy paste information. I don't see this in any other forum. Maybe you can show me what forum has same amount of no discussion copy paste/spam.

I look at WoW forum..nothing. Is only discussion about topics. Nothing copy paste.
    I look at SW:TOR...nothing. Only discussion about game, no copy paste.
    I look at ESO....oooh, NOTHING again. No copy paste.

I look at this forum...it is mostly non discussion thread with only copy paste. All spam!

So please you show me, i wait.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited June 2016
    Torval said:
    Bascola said:
    Shodanas said:
    Bascola said:

In other forum people make discussion thread. This person here just copy paste information. I don't see this in any other forum. Maybe you can show me what forum has same amount of no discussion copy paste/spam.

I look at WoW forum..nothing. Is only discussion about topics. Nothing copy paste.
    I look at SW:TOR...nothing. Only discussion about game, no copy paste.
    I look at ESO....oooh, NOTHING again. No copy paste.

I look at this forum...it is mostly non discussion thread with only copy paste. All spam!

So please you show me, i wait.
    It's not spam, certainly not compared to all bitching threads. I'm not a SC backer or member, I don't go to their site, and I appreciate the news blurbs. I'm looking forward to Squadron 42 so I keep an eye on the updates.
    TBH you should visit the official sites from the developers regardless which games you are interested in, although the stuff maybe copy/pasted there is a high chance that developers do updates that are missed by the OP.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    TBH you should visit the official sites from the developers regardless which games you are interested in, although the stuff maybe copy/pasted there is a high chance that developers do updates that are missed by the OP.
    In the case of this specific OP, I would venture the oppinion that, no, not much will pass HIM by... Not regarding SC anyways.

:p 
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    edited June 2016
    Bascola said:

[mod edit]
    Erillion said:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6728316

You can read all about the new systems below, and find a complete list of changes in the 2.4 Patch Notes here. We will have a more detailed post outlining 2.4 when we go live."

Zyloh-CIG then describes in more detail what is new in Alpha 2.4 (see the link)

Have fun
    It's not actually a news article or press release he quoted but a dev's forum post so....first rule doesn't apply because he gave proper credit for the quote and a link.

I'll give you the advertisement bit though.  Heck, just adding the word "Discuss," at the end would remove that technicality.

spam
    spam/
    noun
    1. 1.
      irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
    Ironically his post being relevant to the forums and being appropriate for the forums means it's not spam.  Yours however of calling other peoples posts spam while offering no contribution to the thread, IS spam.  Really if you thought it that way then you should've just flagged and moved on.

On topic, Any idea of when the stress test is supposed to end anyways?  (Another case of I don't actually look at the website or forums, so these posts are helpful to me.)
    Post edited by Vaross on
    edited June 2016
    Wankyudo said:
    On topic, Any idea of when the stress test is supposed to end anyways?  (Another case of I don't actually look at the website or forums, so these posts are helpful to me.)
    If you look on website instead of here you will know. Is ironic, right?
    Alpha 2.4 is now on LIVE server, available for all backers.

Have fun
  • VIM24VIM24 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Before you do start to have fun though, take a look at the brand new TOS that CIG brought together with 2.4. You will have to agree with it if you want to play. ;)