Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surface Pro 5 said to pack 4K display, Intel Kaby Lake processor

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    That may be an interesting product
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't see why they bother with a 4K screen that small, I can see the difference for 2K on 24" and 4K on 30", below that they look the same to me. Now, light refresh rate and color scale matters even on a small screen.

Otherwise it look fine but the screen resolution seem more like a gimmick to me then actually useful.

The 4K resolution might just be a rumor though since it isn't confirmed.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Agreed. I love my Surface Pro 4. I will most likely pick up a 5 and hand my 4 over to my daughter.
    If you're leaving Surface Pro 4 land can I have your stuff?

I've been debating on getting a SP4.. but I guess it would be somewhat smarter to wait for the SP5... if nothing else it will drop the SP4 price. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Loke666 said:
    I don't see why they bother with a 4K screen that small, I can see the difference for 2K on 24" and 4K on 30", below that they look the same to me. Now, light refresh rate and color scale matters even on a small screen.

Otherwise it look fine but the screen resolution seem more like a gimmick to me then actually useful.

Well I agree in terms of practicality.

That being said, I could definitely tell the difference between the iPad Retina vs non-Retina, and that's only about half the distance from typical PPI to what PPI would be at 4k (Retina is 2048x1536).

Now I don't know if 4k would be better than Retina, maybe there is some drop off where increases in PPI don't really translate to better picture quality (diminishing returns).
    edited June 2016
    It is more for photo editing which it has been very useful for. A 4K screen would be great for my hobby time in video and photo editing. 
    I gave away my iPad Air not too long ago. Don't get me wrong, I loved the thing, I used it mostly for reading and web browsing while the wife watched her TV shows. There were a few apps I would use, and a few games from the App store that I would waste time with (but very few I would actually call quality). I often thought it would be nice to have something in a similar form factor that could stream Steam In-Home, so I could access my entire PC library on it, even if it's being streamed.

I do miss my iPad, but I dunno that I would get another just yet, it makes for an expensive web browser and I could get a cheapo android to do just that. I have eyed the Surface for a while now. I've replaced it with my 3DS for the most part - which really sucks at web browsing, but has some really good games on it (Bravely), and a plain jane Kindle for reading.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Loke666 said:

well i think the primary motovation is marketing. For phones I think its marketing AND for transferable VR tech.
    For Illustrator type work (like the adds for Surface Pro) the problem is:
    1. that market is fairly small
    2. most in the market already have a great Wacom tablet which have been reliablity better option for illustration.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    4k on a small screen is kinda worthless. I had a Dell XPS with 4k Infinity Display and there just wasn't a significant difference, so I ended up with an i7 Surface Book (it's for work, not gaming if anyone is wondering, I wouldn't recommend one for gaming purposes).

Of course, all else being equal (battery life / performance) then I'd have no qualms about going ahead with 4k just to have it. But when working I have my laptop plugged into a 30" 4k monitor for the extra real estate.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    The NFL uses Surface Pros on the sidelines for replays of previous plays. They are used by every team in Football. Pretty cool stuff.
    Yes you are right about that. Quarterbacks on the bench looking at it wondering why their wide receivers are idiots and not getting open lol.

GO LA RAMS....(Finally have a football team again) :p

edited June 2016
    The NFL uses Surface Pros on the sidelines for replays of previous plays. They are used by every team in Football. Pretty cool stuff.
    Yes you are right about that. Quarterbacks on the bench looking at it wondering why their wide receivers are idiots and not getting open lol.

ummm guys..

NFL uses Surface Pros because of an advertising agreement between the NFL and Microsoft. 

true story I will find link

best I can find in short notice
    http://mashable.com/2016/01/28/microsoft-surface-nfl-contract/#PS4fClNWuPqd

400 million dollar deal

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

ummm guys..

NFL uses Surface Pros because of an advertising agreement between the NFL and Microsoft. 

true story I will find link

best I can find in short notice
    http://mashable.com/2016/01/28/microsoft-surface-nfl-contract/#PS4fClNWuPqd

400 million dollar deal
    Yeah we know. They still use them.
    Do you think Apple did not try and secure the same deal? Or Samsung?
    In fact it has already been reported that since the NFL turned down using the Ipad Pro due to compatibility issues with front office PC's, Apple turned to Baseball and Apple and the MLB signed a deal. The NFL is on record stating the Surface Pro provided more power and the compatibility with their computers they were looking for. ;) 
    yes of course Apple and Samsung would try to make the same deal and but its still worth mentioning and no I do NOT think most of your audience when you say what you said actually do know this

and to be clear I am not trying to pew pew Surface Pro with any agenda like I do somethings I am just suggesting some perspective

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    For a laptop the size of the surface pro, a 4k resolution is almost to the limit the average human eye can discern. I think the limit is 8k for a 27" monitor.
    Naturally this poses several issues. Power, more pixels need more electricity which could be an issue for a hybrid laptop. But the current surface pro also has a high resolution. Durability, 4k panels tend to be less durable. Low refresh rate, something at 30hz would be difficult to work on. Graphics chip, it will be drawing alot more from the gpu. It may not be possible for an Intel chip. Maybe AMD secured a deal with Microsoft.
    It'l  probably get a crystal well Intel GPU in it. For desktop stuff (browsers, Office, etc) they are plenty powerful enough to drive 4k. Apple has been driving 2880xwhatever Retina displays with Crystalwell for a while now.