Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hanging Up My Hat On This One..

JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,351
Black Desert, Like Archeage could have been the best MMO on the planet. So much freedom, so much personal choice, consequences, guild comradery, you can really carve out your niche in the game.

Where it fails, is that it only appeals to the "hardcore" crowd. While anyone can have fun leveling a character to 50, this is not enough to be able to experience all this game has to offer. THAT is where the game fails. You see.. when Mediah came out, it only took me about a week or so to gear up for it. That's fine, it was wonderful seeing the new lands, and continuing with my progression.

Now, that I am getting to the point where I am fairly well geared, RNG is now the only way to get my character to where I need to be for upcoming content, Valencia. This and hours and hours of grinding to 55. Even if I manage to get myself to where I need to be for Valencia in a month's time (it's looking like it will be that long); by that time, I will hate this game, hate my class, I don't know how people do it. The combat isn't THAT good that I want to grind out BDO like a full-time job just to enjoy the new zone.

Why are Valencia's gear requirements so restrictive? Does that make BDO a better game to some people? Is that your badge of honor for slogging through endless hordes of easy-mode enemies and bosses?

Another annoying thing is that I finally got my witch's earrings, and marks of shadow, tree spirit belt. I was going to go through the horror of PRI'ing (upgrading) all of these, now they are gone from the marketplace and nobody cares about them anymore now that Pirate accessories are out, and when Valencia launches, even better accessories will come out... such a waste. Now I have to either somehow swipe them off the AH or grind them myself (not doing that). OR buy all new accessories, which means grind more money. grind, grind, grind. RNG, RNG, RNG.

It sucks because what this game does best, is what you will be doing the least. What this game does best, is what most players will never get to experience. And so it goes, another MMO that lost me due to being too demanding of my time, and primarily focused on the stuff that isn't all that fun. I know when it's time to quit a game when I login for the sole reason of not being left behind, rather than because the game is fun to me.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
«134

Comments

  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    It could have been the finest MMO on the planet if it was utterly and completely different, perhaps :)
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,351
    DKLond said:
    It could have been the finest MMO on the planet if it was utterly and completely different, perhaps :)
    Yeah, I knew it too, everyone said it's grindy. I guess I underestimated it, and believed the grind would be more interesting and fun than it is.  Love guild pvp though, love crafting, gathering, farming, fishing, cooking, etc. I love the world, the quests, the horses, the combat. 

    But the game doesn't focus on those, it focuses on RNG, and Grind. To Pearl Abyss, that is what makes BDO the best game in the world to them, and that completely turns me off. I don't mind RNG, or grind, but that it is SO much the focus of this game, I feel I can no longer play it.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    JDis25 said:
    Black Desert, Like Archeage could have been the best MMO on the planet. So much freedom, so much personal choice, consequences, guild comradery, you can really carve out your niche in the game.

    Where it fails, is that it only appeals to the "hardcore" crowd. While anyone can have fun leveling a character to 50, this is not enough to be able to experience all this game has to offer. THAT is where the game fails. You see.. when Mediah came out, it only took me about a week or so to gear up for it. That's fine, it was wonderful seeing the new lands, and continuing with my progression.

    Now, that I am getting to the point where I am fairly well geared, RNG is now the only way to get my character to where I need to be for upcoming content, Valencia. This and hours and hours of grinding to 55. Even if I manage to get myself to where I need to be for Valencia in a month's time (it's looking like it will be that long); by that time, I will hate this game, hate my class, I don't know how people do it. The combat isn't THAT good that I want to grind out BDO like a full-time job just to enjoy the new zone.

    Why are Valencia's gear requirements so restrictive? Does that make BDO a better game to some people? Is that your badge of honor for slogging through endless hordes of easy-mode enemies and bosses?

    Another annoying thing is that I finally got my witch's earrings, and marks of shadow, tree spirit belt. I was going to go through the horror of PRI'ing (upgrading) all of these, now they are gone from the marketplace and nobody cares about them anymore now that Pirate accessories are out, and when Valencia launches, even better accessories will come out... such a waste. Now I have to either somehow swipe them off the AH or grind them myself (not doing that). OR buy all new accessories, which means grind more money. grind, grind, grind. RNG, RNG, RNG.

    It sucks because what this game does best, is what you will be doing the least. What this game does best, is what most players will never get to experience. And so it goes, another MMO that lost me due to being too demanding of my time, and primarily focused on the stuff that isn't all that fun. I know when it's time to quit a game when I login for the sole reason of not being left behind, rather than because the game is fun to me.

    You paid $40 not $10000, as long as you got your moneys worth stop whining.  Jeeze, it doesn't even have a sub.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,764
    edited June 2016
    MMO player plays MMO endgame for a few months, gets bored and quits.  News at 11.

    "But the game doesn't focus on those, it focuses on RNG, and Grind."

    Every MMO endgame focuses on RNG and grind.  Maybe they aren't usually as blatant as the gameplay in BDO, but the principle is the same.  All MMOs want to give you a reason to keep playing, and the best way devs have come up with for doing that is RNG and grind.

    Seems like a shame to quit a day before Valencia and seiges.  As for why Valencia has high gear requirements, it's the final big update that I'm aware of.  It's supposed to last for a really long time.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,351
    I wish the grinding was guild wars and PvP, not slaying thousands of easy-mode monsters. I wish grinding was being able to craft your own jewelry, but that is far surpassed by the people who literally grind mobs.

    MMO devs should make you want to grind because that is the fun part, in BDO the fun part is literally the activity you will do the least.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,351
    scorpex-x said:


    You paid $40 not $10000, as long as you got your moneys worth stop whining.  Jeeze, it doesn't even have a sub.
    Hey if nobody voices their opinion, when will games change? look at the genre, it's being destroyed by P2W, Grind, RNG, "hardcore" games. This will destroy the genre, and it already is.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,764
    JDis25 said:
    I wish the grinding was guild wars and PvP, not slaying thousands of easy-mode monsters. I wish grinding was being able to craft your own jewelry, but that is far surpassed by the people who literally grind mobs.

    MMO devs should make you want to grind because that is the fun part, in BDO the fun part is literally the activity you will do the least.
    I get your point- I'm just saying most MMOs do it this way.  If you play the endgame to be top tier you're going to burn yourself out- in any MMO, not just BDO.

    Killing thousands of easy-mode mobs is boring, but so is clearing thousands of easy-mode trash mobs in dungeons or easy-mode mobs in open world dailies.

    As for me, I'm taking it really slow.  I'm looking forward to joining a somewhat casual guild and defending a small node.  Spending a lot of time on the subsystems.
  • BascolaBascola Member UncommonPosts: 425
    JDis25 said:
    I wish the grinding was guild wars and PvP, not slaying thousands of easy-mode monsters. I wish grinding was being able to craft your own jewelry, but that is far surpassed by the people who literally grind mobs.

    MMO devs should make you want to grind because that is the fun part, in BDO the fun part is literally the activity you will do the least.
    You can kill harder monster. no one make you kill trash...
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,351
    edited June 2016
    JDis25 said:
    I wish the grinding was guild wars and PvP, not slaying thousands of easy-mode monsters. I wish grinding was being able to craft your own jewelry, but that is far surpassed by the people who literally grind mobs.

    MMO devs should make you want to grind because that is the fun part, in BDO the fun part is literally the activity you will do the least.
    I get your point- I'm just saying most MMOs do it this way.  If you play the endgame to be top tier you're going to burn yourself out- in any MMO, not just BDO.

    Killing thousands of easy-mode mobs is boring, but so is clearing thousands of easy-mode trash mobs in dungeons or easy-mode mobs in open world dailies.

    As for me, I'm taking it really slow.  I'm looking forward to joining a somewhat casual guild and defending a small node.  Spending a lot of time on the subsystems.
    I definitely got my moneys worth, I really enjoyed 1-50, and even 50-53 where I am at now. But I am bored now, and there is little else I can do to change it. The game has funneled me into grinding and RNG, and I cannot avoid it any longer.  I can see myself coming back again, when I have more free time, and so the combat will feel fresh again.

    I fight ogres sometimes, and other tougher mobs, but it's really no different. Just have to remember to jump sideways more often. This combat system was designed for PvP but you PvE 95% of the time.

    Again it is a great game, you won't regret playing it, and I don't want to take away from anyone's enjoyment. they could really take it places, but not sure if they will. Population continues to drop, it's sad to see because the game is beautiful and it does so much right in regards to questing and exploration.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Why people think the questing and exploration is good in BDO is mind boggling. Zero reason/incentive to explore anything in the game at all, none, nada, zero, ziltch. I just do not get it.
    The combat was the greatest feature of the game for me.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,351
    LIOKI said:
    Why people think the questing and exploration is good in BDO is mind boggling. Zero reason/incentive to explore anything in the game at all, none, nada, zero, ziltch. I just do not get it.
    The combat was the greatest feature of the game for me.
    contribution points?
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Oh yeah! I forgot about those... as I never had a need for them aside from getting my gear to ultimate and making a fishing boat, which turned out to be a useless waste of time.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,764
    edited June 2016
    LIOKI said:
    Why people think the questing and exploration is good in BDO is mind boggling. Zero reason/incentive to explore anything in the game at all, none, nada, zero, ziltch. I just do not get it.
    The combat was the greatest feature of the game for me.
    Besides the contribution points, there's also the fact that if you go somewhere, there's probably something to find.  Tons of hidden caves and random NPCs all over with little stories attached to them.

    Most MMOs there is no reason to explore because there is literally nothing to find.

    Also, were you the one that was saying the boat is useless because you don't lose stamina when swimming?  I definitely lose stamina when I swim.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,406
    LIOKI said:
    Why people think the questing and exploration is good in BDO is mind boggling. Zero reason/incentive to explore anything in the game at all, none, nada, zero, ziltch. I just do not get it.
    The combat was the greatest feature of the game for me.
    Besides the reason of "because it's there and it's a beautiful world (for the most part) contribution points are a huge benefit and can severely hinder you if you require various nodes or want to invest more into the nodes so you can get better drops.

    Have you not been using or "getting" your contribution points?
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I have around 165CP points I think, haven't logged in for two weeks or so, and I never saw the need for them outside getting a "crafting" house to make ulti gear. Node connections for fishing, but they made grinding mobs far more profitable than fishing now. I have a Artisan 7 fisher cause they said fishing was the shit, turns out they were kinda right?

    No the boats are needed to get across the water, never argued that point, I died in a hurricane in the middle of the ocean that was at least a little entertaining.

    Seriously though, there aren't stories tied to any areas, be honest the quests are dull as a butter knife.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I truly liked the game, I also felt like it was pretty awesome, but that veil wore off and now I just can't wrap my mind around people hyping it up to others with unrealistic expectations. Maybe I am just old and jaded now...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,406
    JDis25 said:
    scorpex-x said:


    You paid $40 not $10000, as long as you got your moneys worth stop whining.  Jeeze, it doesn't even have a sub.
    Hey if nobody voices their opinion, when will games change? look at the genre, it's being destroyed by P2W, Grind, RNG, "hardcore" games. This will destroy the genre, and it already is.
    Well, my opinion is that I like the game the way it is sans the bad programming decisions that allow for cheating. I don't think it's destroying the genre at all.

    Is it my perfect game? Hardly but I would have to actually make my perfect game myself and that's not about to happen.


  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    JDis25 said:
    scorpex-x said:


    You paid $40 not $10000, as long as you got your moneys worth stop whining.  Jeeze, it doesn't even have a sub.
    Hey if nobody voices their opinion, when will games change? look at the genre, it's being destroyed by P2W, Grind, RNG, "hardcore" games. This will destroy the genre, and it already is.

    games will change based on money more than the millions of random posts on forums.  Don't buy games you are 100% on if buying a "bad game" gets you this upset.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,406
    LIOKI said:
    I truly liked the game, I also felt like it was pretty awesome, but that veil wore off and now I just can't wrap my mind around people hyping it up to others with unrealistic expectations. Maybe I am just old and jaded now...
    No I think you have a valid point in that people need to be honest about the game both good and bad. There's a lot of bad (some of it subjective some not) and it does no one any favors to color the game all candy and roses only for the new player to discover it's not.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

    You have given up on the game because you have shrunk the potential enjoyment that you can derived from the game to the one aspect of the game that is not enjoyable ... and that is its RNG aspects.  There is a lot more to the game than jumping on the RNG treadmill and acquiring BiS gear.  I won't criticize your point of view if that is, in fact, the only area of the game that you find enjoyable and the only reason you played the game in the first place.  But its really no different than the jumping on the dungeon crawling treadmill in the vast majority of MMORPGs to acquire BiS gear.  A player that plays the game casually and delves as ardently into the other life skill aspects of the game will get a lot more bang for their dollar out if BDO, than a player who's predominant goal is acquiring BiS gear to the point of burn out and exhaustion.  
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Do yourself a favor and play the KR version, you will love it. And don't ask me how, google it.

    Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,240
    Yeah, like in every mmo the honeymoon period ends several months after launch. I could tell this was a game I had no long term interest in right away. I'm using it as a temporary home with some pvp until CU or something better.

    Putting very little $ in and decreasing the time I invest so I don't burnout on the mindless grind. The game did have much more potential than what it currently has reached or is likely to reach in the future. The "Westernization" of Eastern mmo's seems to be a process no Eastern developers or Western publishers have mastered yet. Conversion rates are never right, already known Eastern version code vulnerabilities are left in place, and they never cease to be p2w in the transfer.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Best move you ll ever make.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,221
    It is sad that so many PvPer's buy the game and think they are going to have loads of fun.  The reasons to PvP aren't in the game yet and there is a bunch of grind to attempt to compete.  Why PvPer's couldn't see that this game was going to be a big challenge for them to enjoy is beyond me.  

    As someone whom doesn't have much interest in BDO PvP or trying to be the best..I really enjoy the game (aside from the hacking of course).
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,764
    LIOKI said:
    I have around 165CP points I think, haven't logged in for two weeks or so, and I never saw the need for them outside getting a "crafting" house to make ulti gear. Node connections for fishing, but they made grinding mobs far more profitable than fishing now. I have a Artisan 7 fisher cause they said fishing was the shit, turns out they were kinda right?

    No the boats are needed to get across the water, never argued that point, I died in a hurricane in the middle of the ocean that was at least a little entertaining.

    Seriously though, there aren't stories tied to any areas, be honest the quests are dull as a butter knife.
    No what I mean is that you may stumble upon an NPC with a tidbit of a story.  Or a secret cave.  My point is there are actually things to find when you explore, unlike most MMOs which have literally nothing outside the questhub track.
Sign In or Register to comment.