Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brad's posts make me worried

TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
I feel like I can't post this on the Pantheon forum.  It hits to close to home and there are to many "yes men" over there...though there are "no men" too hah.

Brad made another post recently that really worries me.  I discussed something similar a few weeks ago about a different post by Brad.

Maybe it's because when it comes from Brad directly it seems to hold more weight?  I never get the same worried feeling when other devs/mods post things about game design.  Maybe it's because Brad doesn't explain himself well?...though he can be long winded.

The recent one that worries me is about pets and how they want to have pets for all, or close to all, classes.  They wouldn't be all combat pets like many of us are used to.  They could be pets that buff or have extra storage etc.  The idea was a lot of pets usable situationally in combat or in non-combat.

This just seems like one of those things new games try to do to lure in new players, but it ends up repelling more players than it attracts.  Especially because of who Pantheon is targeting as its demographic.

Honestly, between this pet thing, and the whole progeny system, and some past blog posts, I'm starting to think I shouldn't have donated.

Why can't they...as the saying goes...keep it simple stupid? 

The niche they are targeting wants a challenging game similar to the first gen mmos.  This fluff is a waste of development time that isn't necessary to build the game that is being advertised.  It has a very good chance of driving away the people who would normally stick with the game for 5-10 years if they just kept it simple.

Comments

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Here is the link to the thread for those interested.  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3470/the-first-warning-bell/view/page/1

I tend to agree with the OP about the pets, but his post does exclude a lot of information / discussion including examples from Brad.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Yeah, it seems whenever a team tries to recreate a classic feel they just can't help themselves from adding modern game designs which corrupt the original vision.

WAR and ESO are two notable examples, but there are others. 

Sticking to the vision seems to be beyond most devs, they just want to keep adding to the games audience by throwing in features that frequently turn away more folks than they gained.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    The best thing to do is post your concerns in a constructive way where the devs can see it. If what you say makes sense and others follow along then the devs will take notice and hopefully ease your concerns with better examples or deeper explanation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    lol@donkeys and mules...

Good idea but made me laugh. Why not a Kangaroo? they have pouches and stuff.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Why would they want to add pets for all? Seems a strange thing to waste time on. Pet classes are one thing but for buffs and storage?
    I mean add donkeys or mules for party storage or something but I see no reason to add pets for everyone. I would just be focused on the core features and game and let the other stuff go for now. 
    That's why I said what I did above. Clarification on what he means might reveal that this is exactly the type of thing he's talking about.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    TBH I liked this in SWG (everyone having some kind of pet to use for storage/etc). 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    My thing is, many of the game ideas sound good to me.  Why does the medium they are presented in have to be pets?

Pets are notorious for having issues.  Pathing issues, controlability issues, response delay issues, lag issues, visibility issues etc.

It seems there are better ways to implement these.

Everyone having pets out sounds horrible.
    Distopia said:
    TBH I liked this in SWG (everyone having some kind of pet to use for storage/etc). 
    I mean it can be a good thing as long as they don't let it get too crazy. I have pets in ESO but they don't do anything but I wonder how having storage pets would impact a tailoring profession. The bag crafter. If they even have them  
    I know in SWG those who had the most items for extra storage were almost always the crafters themselves. In SWG's case the bags were still highly sought after (using them to store components in on ships, houses as well as on the go. Most used multiple bags plus droids/pets to store things in when out in the field, yet that was a very big part of the game (commerce as well as a need for all kinds of storage units). 

They could always ensure the need for other storage items such as bags, by allowing the use of only one pet at a time (the rest would be stored somewhere back in town). Having bags would still be ideal in that case.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    If I wanted a pet I'd make a pet class. Please don't dumb down the world with this nonsense.
    If I wanted a pet I'd make a pet class. Please don't dumb down the world with this nonsense.
    How in anyway does extra storage or buffs dumb down the world? LMAO

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Distopia said:
    I don't know if it dumbs it down but it sure would make it dumb. I can't stand the pet overload in newer MMO's. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Yeah, honestly I'm very hyped about this game a couple of others, but this element does worry me abit since it can easily go overboard depending on the direction(s) they choose to go with it. We'll see though.
    Gyva02 said:
    Distopia said:
    I don't know if it dumbs it down but it sure would make it dumb. I can't stand the pet overload in newer MMO's. 
    Yeah I would agree if it is nothing more than what you see in modern MMOs ( silly miniature cosmetic pets) . How it was in SWG as an example was nothing like that. Which is the game this brought to mind for me, which has little to do with that negative implementation you address. 

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    edited June 2016
    Distopia said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Distopia said:
    Yeah I would agree if it is nothing more than what you see in modern MMOs ( silly miniature cosmetic pets) . How it was in SWG as an example was nothing like that. Which is the game this brought to mind for me, which has little to do with that negative implementation you address. 
    No, actually I just hate seeing trains of things following everyone around even if they did have a purpose. If a decision is made that everyone gets a pet all I ask for is a button I can press that removes them from my view. I don't want to see that circus... 
    Gyva02 said:
    Distopia said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Distopia said:
    No, actually I just hate seeing trains of things following everyone around even if they did have a purpose. If a decision is made that everyone gets a pet all I ask for is a button I can press that removes them from my view. I don't want to see that circus... 
    That was essentially my point, people didn't have them out all of the time, since they could lose them in combat, it was best to keep them stored until you needed them. Hence there wasn't much of a train problem, unless you were with a CH, even then they couldn't have many pets out at once. It wasn't like you see today in towns, where everyone has something following them around. 

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited June 2016
    Brad has been very honest with his vision. He won't add things that dilute said vision, that doesn't mean that there will be things added that makes the game slightly different from everquest and vanguard. The group-centric and role-centric design of the original will still be around.

A pet system won't ruin the combat feel of the game, if it did it won't make it to launch.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Still dont get why people are acting like these issues are new when they were known for years in the east. Even then, white knights yelping that hacks dont affect their game until hackers kill them and take loot they were working on getting lol. Oh now its a problem....right....
  • WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Familiars for casters, elemental/skeletel pets for necro/elementalists and ofc. Beastmaster's animal kingdom., I am fine with that. But dont make mandatory pets for every single class, it will just turn into a clunky stupid ass pokemon event in major cities and raids.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Seems fine to me so long as its not a cash shop item and the buffs are insignificant things like a small % of 'out of combat run speed' or something.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
     In original SWG there were Creature Handlers, who could have the really good pets, but all other classes could still have pets that had a little utility. Later they nerfed those pets and they were less useful. I enjoyed that feature, personally.

Brad keeps telling people this game isn't going to just be EQ with better graphics, and that there will be some new/different things. 

It seems odd to donate money to a game, and gain special access to be able to speak to the Devs on their forums, and then post here instead out of fear of [I don't know what]. /shrug

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Having optional pets for everyone to "help out" with various features of the game sounds "designed for the Cash Shop", lol

Just look at BDO's pet system. Everyone agrees that you don't need them, but everyone seems to buy them anyway for some reason...