Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In depth thoughts of RoI

LaDraqKumeiaLaDraqKumeia Member UncommonPosts: 6
Hello everyone :)

I assume most of you don't know too much about this game. I played it in KR, then a bit on priv server, and lastly on beta just to see how different things are. 

I won't go over thing like graphics, combat system etc. I will just point out few facts about this game, its cons and pros (in my opinion) and then let you decide if you wish to play it or not. I can also point out what can be in Nexon's cash shop and if it should be considered pay to win. Let's go!

p.s Sorry for my english and if the text is a bit chaotic :pleased: 

MOUNTS

Yes, yes, tons of mounts. So called familiars. Though.. it doesn't really matter. You can collect common ones for achievements (there are achievements that require you to capture mobs from the whole map and then it rewards you with something. Can be another familiar of a better type or pet or something else.

What are familiar types?
There are only a few. Grey is Common one, Elite is Blue one, Heroic is Yellow one and Legendary is purple one. They might have change the names in Nexon, I didn't really pay attention. Why does it matter? The better the type is, the higher stats it has. So more stamina (when you run out of it you can't ride a familiar, it needs to rest or you need to drink stamina potions), more combat stats (though they usually suck, unless you have a legendary one) and the better the type, the higher level it can earn (common ones were capped at level 10, elites at 25 and so on).
Common familiars are just easy tameable mobs, you can find them anywhere. Elite ones are usually 'bosses' of Common ones. So let's say there is herd of bears somewhere, they are all Common type, but the boss creature, which is maybe a recolor or a bit bigger, is Elite. Sometimes they require an item in order to be able to tame them. But those items are rather easily obtained - in example in order to tame an Elk boss you need to harvest herbs around for a chance of obtaining the item to tame this guy. With Heroics and Legends fun starts. Or rather the pain :expressionless: In order to tame any of these types you need so called "Mark" (can be called differently in Nexon). There are some Elites that require Mark too, but those are rather easily obtained. It's crafted or looted from high end dungeons/tower challenge (I will go over tower and dungeons later). Usually to craft Mark you need: receipe (rare drop), sealed familiars (you ned to capture X amount of familiars, then seal them) and familiar orbs. Last ones are most painful for begginers. You get them from quests or high end content (dungeons mostly). Keep all of them on your journey! After 2 days of playing and reaching 30 level (out of 50 I believe) I only managed to collect like 10 orbs. Whereas crafting Mark for Heroic familiars require like few hundred of them. Ouch.
In tower you can drop Marks (no need to craft them). Though here I am not sure if it was a priv server feature - I didn't go that far in KR server.
Also, please note that even if you have Mark it only gives you a possibility to tame the familiar - if you happen to fail, you will need another mark to keep trying. And trust me, taming Heroics/Legends is rather hard.

Okay since I went through the types and Marks, two more things to say: Legendary Pack is OP af when it comes to just mounts. Why? It's pretty simple: because Karios most likely (I can't be too sure, but I think they said he is Legendary type, though he is recolor of Heroic red dragon) has huge altitude (familiars have their limits in how high they can fly. Heroic and Legendary usually have around 700-1000m altitude, where common flyers have like.. 300 meters. At very best). If you go over familiars altitude, you will simply dismount. And the very first flyers you get are not only slow but also their altitude limit is low. On the next map you will be send to after you get your red parrot, you will find yourself in trouble since altitude there is around 600 meters (all maps have their limits too. Even if you have a familiar with limit of 1000, a map might have a lower altitude so you won't be able to fly higher). And yeah, your parrot will be like 300, unless they change it. 
P.S once you get to floating island map, try to tame those lizard-dragon-like things around the fortress, then go for eagles that are much much higher. It iwll make your lives easier.
So, Legendary Pack Founders will get their Heroic/Legendary familiar at the very start, whereas the "casual" players will have to go through a horror to get one. And no, don't go for Heroics/Legends before you hit level cap, even if you have a Mark - the level difference matters while taming. And even high level players had difficulties taming, let's say level 35 heroic familiar. It's all about RNG mostly, sadly (or maybe not, depends if Nexon adds some item in cash shop that will make taming easier).

And lastly: fusing! You can fuse even common familiars for a chance of getting Elite or better type. You need 4 familiars at max level. They don't need to be of the same race (so you can fuse 2 bears, 1 lizard, 1 bird etc), as long as they are max level its fine. After you fuse them you lose them all and receive one familiar. It has a chance of being a better type, so if you want to - try to get some Elites that don't require mark, level them up and then fuse for a chance on something better.
How do you level up a familiar? By riding it, if I recall correctly. I could just stand afk and the exp bar would increase, though the better the type, the longer it takes. Much longer for Legendary types.

All in all, this system of being able to tame almost every creature looks good only on paper. You won't have too many slots (like 4 without paying?) for your familiars, so you will only go for non Heroic/Legendary mounts at level cap only to get your achievements/components for Marks. Common familiars are just not worth having.
Fuse common stuff, you can get Elites from it. And so on.

Comments

• LaDraqKumeiaLaDraqKumeia Member UncommonPosts: 6
    DUNGEONS/RAIDS

About that - you won't find anything like WoW raids that requires tons of communication, much skill etc. What I like about them though is that you can do all of them in a group of 2 or 3 at best. It scales perfectly fine so if you never liked having to gather lots of people just to do high end content - don't worry. You will still need a gear though, but most of it came with just questing. Not sure if Nexon changes it, I hope it doesn't. 
    As mentioned earlier, I didn't get to do much of end content on KR so this experience I take from private server that had changed some stuff. I am not sure about which ones were their change and which ones weren't, sadly.
    You want to do dungeons for familiar orbs/marks and chance of getting better gear.

TOWER

So what is tower? If you played BnS it's like Tower of Mushin. If you played Dragon's Prophet - its like a Column. Basically you go there solo, there is a tiny room and you smash and kill stuff until they kill you. You collect points for killing enemies etc and based on your score you get rewards. As mentioned earlier, you can get Marks to tame Heroics/Legends there, so it's nice to do. There is also a leaderboards and the best players get some other nice rewards too.

WHAT CAN BE P2W ASPECT?

If Nexon is smart, they will do the "pay 2 convenient" and "pay 2 pretty", rather than "pay 2 win". Although they already revealed premium system...

What is Pay 2 Convenient?
    Basically stamina potions for your familiar. Or maybe familiars themselves, better ones, that can fly longer/on higher altitude, because you will get pissed with common flyers that can't reach some quest ares. Trust me, it reeaaaallly hurts and if I got to chose, I would buy one mount for the sake of my sanity... Also, bag and familiar slots.

What is Pay 2 Pretty?
    Costumes, outfits, familiar recolors (because in FP you receive skin thingy to change their looks.).

What can be Pay 2 Win?
    Mats. Items that boost your stats (like the one for Legendary Pack). Exp potions (though they are more of pay 2 convenient imo), drop rate potions. Taming rate success potions.
    So yeah, whole Premium Service thingy.

Please note that it IS possible to receive Ellun's currency (premium one) by questing but they are rather small amounts.

Should I play it if I don't want to spend a penny?
    It's your choice. I mean, it shouldn't be that bad buuut... I don't know, for myself, If I am gonna touch it. Seeing the FP contents makes me doubt. Because I know how huge pain is to level up in this game without a good flying mount. Because by seeing Premium I want to puke (I hate this system x_x). And because those talismans are a huge NOPE to me and should never have existed.

I'm sorry buuut I can't go over everything. It's just too much, I also probably forgot about some things.
    If you have other questions about stuff I didn't include, feel free to ask, I will do my best to answer them.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Does the combat stay potato or does it get better higher levels? I could only play it a few hours before I wanted to punch myself in the nethers due to the really poor combat responsiveness.

Also very nice job on the taming explanation, covered everything I had questions about, thank you!
  • LaDraqKumeiaLaDraqKumeia Member UncommonPosts: 6
    LIOKI said:
    Does the combat stay potato or does it get better higher levels? I could only play it a few hours before I wanted to punch myself in the nethers due to the really poor combat responsiveness.

Also very nice job on the taming explanation, covered everything I had questions about, thank you!
    Define "gets better". Not sure how far you got in beta but you are able to fight from your mount using either crossbow or spear. The higher the level, more skills you get. I actually enjoy mounted combat, its fun, but it doesn't allow you to use certain skills of your class - only few class skills can be used while mounted. 
    Familiars also have skills, though they don't do that much damage. Damage of familiar skills improves with their levels, but its not a huge amount. There are also set items for your familiar, this can improve them too. 
    Overally I think the game's combat system is not really dynamic, most of the time you will find yourself standing in place and spamming keys. I mean, you should avoid stuff, but priests are so op they can outheal most of the damage. Without any cooldown.

World boss here. As you can see, most of the time you just spam buttons, he sometimes cast this big aoe thingy and that's pretty much it :s 

To me game is more about collecting. Even tower gets boring obligation after some time. Trying to get rare familiars is really fun but also a pain - I will give you example of Agnas the Red, which is the original "Karios" model (it's wll, red/magma color).

Agnas is heroic familiar. It flies around Hakana's dragon area (not sure how they officially translated them but its in the bottom left corner of the first map, looks like wastelands with big crystal on the map drawing).
    There are some common red and black dragons flying around on almost max altitude (like 500 iirc). You need to kill TONS of them to drop Scales. Drop is not guaranteed, I found myself farming them for 12 hours to get all of them. And my boyfriend had to farm them 2 days because he was less lucky. 
    The receipe for Agnas' mark drops from boss "Jeranin". Its higher level than map offers, I believe 35 or something. You need to keep killing him to get the receipe.
    Then you need to kill Agnas until you get his heart.
    After you have all of  those marks, you can craft a Mark and attempt a tame. Though like I said - you shouldn't bother with Heroic or Legendary familiars before you hit level cap. Even on highest level you will have difficulties taming them and depend more on luck than anything else (unless you have Founder's Pack talisman with taming chance increase..)
    Some legendary/heroic familiars are also in dungeons, they too require mark + can be rare spawns themselves.

Collecting for achievements was the most fun I was having. I was running dungeons/raids as a routine to get mats/chance for a better armor/marks etc. Then I did tower, and after I ran out of possibilities, I tried to get achievements - although in current Beta I can only see 3 of them because they are far behind content in KR/priv servers.

So yeah, all in all: combat can get boring but the game is more about collecting than fightning imo.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Is item upgrading dependent on cash shop items to improve success rates?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Jacobin said:
    Is item upgrading dependent on cash shop items to improve success rates?
    Probably.

Nexon has claimed that cash shop will work differently from Japanese/Korean version, and revealed almost no information at all on how the cash shop will work.

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Pay to win has really gone out of style, brings a cancer to the game and in the end less profit. I'm sure they will take the "pay for less armor" route.

Unless the game falls flat on its face in the first few months, than they will sell anything the remaining will pay for.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited June 2016
    22 minutes of just sitting there shooting that giant graphically-pretty-but-inactive-lazy-slob of a world boss and all he does is disintegrate in 2 seconds.  How... anticlimactic.  It's definately not Gradius or Touhou, that's for sure.