Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Overwatch sell poorly?

Comments

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Kane72 said:
    Mirathel said:
    gervaise1 said:
    As long as it does well enough it should to continue to perform; continue to sell, sell DLC and cash shop stuff (cosmetic only atm but could be extra services and so forth later).

There wont be any DLC or season pass. All content (maps, heroes, modes) will be completely free forever. The only thing they are selling are the loot boxes. I've seen quite a few popular streamers buy 200 of those things at a time
    People are buying loot boxes to unlock the things you get anyway from playing the game?  If you've unlocked everything, what is there left to play to achieve?
    It's a competitive game.  You play to compete with other people.  
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    moshra said:
    Kane72 said:
    Mirathel said:
    gervaise1 said:
    As long as it does well enough it should to continue to perform; continue to sell, sell DLC and cash shop stuff (cosmetic only atm but could be extra services and so forth later).

There wont be any DLC or season pass. All content (maps, heroes, modes) will be completely free forever. The only thing they are selling are the loot boxes. I've seen quite a few popular streamers buy 200 of those things at a time
    People are buying loot boxes to unlock the things you get anyway from playing the game?  If you've unlocked everything, what is there left to play to achieve?
    Exactly, have people actually played shooters on this site? I keep hearing this type of rhetoric.. This isn't Diablo with it's loot pinatas, it's not MMORPG PVP where you get tokens for gear.  It's an online shooter, the pay out is quick PVP fun, that's what the genre is all about.

I blame Blizzard for this mentality though TBH. PRe-WOW people didn't need carrots to have fun in PVP, now they expect those carrots in everything they do.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Look you guys need to realize that no matter how many copies they sell- they will never ever make a profit with this game. OVerwatch is a recycled WoW 2 and with the initial idea wich was abadoned they already made a huge loss wich wont be covered even with 15mil copies. Thats what im thinking.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    moshra said:
    Kane72 said:
    Mirathel said:
    gervaise1 said:

Yeah I know that and perhaps I didn't make my point very well.  People are going to get that stuff anyway because they play the game, so what's the point of buying it as it doesn't give you any in-game advantage or improvements?
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    It sure sold a lot better than HOTS.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    It is doing rather well in the UK. Chart-Track, which tracks physical sales only, said 47 per cent of launch week sales were on PlayStation 4, 36 per cent on Xbox One, and 18 per cent on PC. Who said PC physical sales were dead?

Overwatch is Blizzard's fastest-selling console game, Chart-Track added. This means it sold more in launch week than the console versions of Diablo 3 and, wait for it, StarCraft 64. Remember that?

Full Story: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-31-overwatch-fastest-selling-blizzard-game-on-console-in-uk

Guess will see overtime how it does.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I play the PC version, can always find a game quickly, even at 3-5am in the morning. That to me, as a gamer, is a success.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Kane72 said:
    moshra said:
    Kane72 said:
    Mirathel said:
    gervaise1 said:

Yeah I know that and perhaps I didn't make my point very well.  People are going to get that stuff anyway because they play the game, so what's the point of buying it as it doesn't give you any in-game advantage or improvements?

So you're asking, why would people continue to play the game after unlocking everything?

To show off I guess.  Everything you can buy is aesthetic.  I would think after spending a large sum of money to purchase aesthetic items or a butt load of time would make someone a little more invested in the game.  There are also achievements you need to complete to obtain certain sprays or player icons.
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    It is doing rather well in the UK. Chart-Track, which tracks physical sales only, said 47 per cent of launch week sales were on PlayStation 4, 36 per cent on Xbox One, and 18 per cent on PC. Who said PC physical sales were dead?

Overwatch is Blizzard's fastest-selling console game, Chart-Track added. This means it sold more in launch week than the console versions of Diablo 3 and, wait for it, StarCraft 64. Remember that?

Full Story: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-31-overwatch-fastest-selling-blizzard-game-on-console-in-uk

Well it's surely their fastest selling console game considering that currently they're having only two of their titles on consoles and Diablo 3 was released on consoles years after its PC version. Also nowadays major console titles sell way faster than years or even decades ago. It just doesn't make sense to compare OverWatch (physical and digital copies) sales to StarCraft 64 (physical cartridges launched 16 years ago) sales. OW launched on all platforms at the same time supported by an unprecedentedly huge and costly marketing campaign so no wonder it sold fast on consoles too.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    rertez said:

Also nowadays major console titles sell way faster than years or even decades ago. It just doesn't make sense to compare OverWatch (physical and digital copies) sales to StarCraft 64 (physical cartridges launched 16 years ago) sales..
    That's fair I was just quoting the website.

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    I went and bought it just because I like having a shooter to play once in awhile and I haven't been able to find anything decent. I'm not overly impressed with the variation of maps and modes although the number of types of playable characters is pretty good. I knew all this before I bought it but I'm pretty confident that Blizzard will update the game regularly. They have done a pretty good job with there other games as far as regular updates so I expect the game to have more content as time goes on. Since it was buy to play and right now it does seem to be cosmetic only cash shop, I think I'll end up getting my money's worth out of it in the long run. I wish I had paid closer attention and figured out there was a 40$ basic version but oh well my mistake. They got an extra 20 out of me. Hope they put it to good use.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    DMKano said:
    Well it's all about recouping the total cost of development and marketing (including retail box cost + paying for retail shelf space etc..) and then making a huge profit on the top.

It doesnt have to all come from box sales as they do have a cash shop.

So without knowing the total cost (marketing + development, cost of retail boxes and shelf space), if someone threw a number like the game sold 4 million copies + cash shop sales - we wouldn't know if that was decent, great, or amazing because Blizzard never releases how much it all cost in the first place.

DMKano said:
    The game tops the sales at most vendors, console and PC.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/uk-video-game-sales-overwatch-shoots-number-1/
    Tops the charts on the various amazon sites too.

And that's all without the digital sales.

I'm not worried for Blizzard here.

Remember you had 10 millions players in the open beta. Even if just 25% bought, it's already a smashing success.
    2.5 million would be very questionable as "smashing  success" without knowing the total cost for Blizzard.

My guess that Overwatch cost Blizzard somewhere between $150-$300 million (total cost not development cost), so 2.5 million sales wouldn't be good.

Now 6+ million sales thst would be smashing 
    I'm curious what happened in your mind that made your 2nd post almost 100% contradict your first. You go from saying

"There's no way to tell if 4 million copies sold is decent, great or amazing because Blizzard never releases how much it all cost in the first place"

to "2.5million would be very questionable as a "smashing success, now 6 million would be smashing" while also giving out some random development cost guess, even though you pulled it out your ass with nothing to back it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    DMKano said:
    The game tops the sales at most vendors, console and PC.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/uk-video-game-sales-overwatch-shoots-number-1/
    Tops the charts on the various amazon sites too.

And that's all without the digital sales.

I'm not worried for Blizzard here.

Remember you had 10 millions players in the open beta. Even if just 25% bought, it's already a smashing success.
    2.5 million would be very questionable as "smashing  success" without knowing the total cost for Blizzard.

My guess that Overwatch cost Blizzard somewhere between $150-$300 million (total cost not development cost), so 2.5 million sales wouldn't be good.

Now 6+ million sales thst would be smashing 
    The whole game is basically recovering the cost of their cancelled project, as long as they cover the cost to convert the game to it's current form it's a "win" I guess.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Kabulozo said:
    It sure sold a lot better than HOTS.
    Yeah, probably.

But most likely because HotS hasn't sold any copies at all.

Because, you know ..... it's free.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Kane72 said:
    Mirathel said:
    gervaise1 said:

Easy..they will bring new heroes

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2016
    7 Million global players in a week. I think they are doing smashingly don't you think so OP?

You must be very pleased for them since you seemed a bit worried about their success.
    Chamber of Chains
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    DMKano wrong about Archeage, wrong about BDO, wrong about Overwatch.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Thread is only two pages long, how many "doomsayers" ya even think there are?

More common argument seems that it's just disappointment that the game is small and lacking in features.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Eeeewww, it's soooo awkward when your "Has the game failed ?" thread is still active when the game announces its 7M player mark.

Hehehehehehehe...
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    I bet they sell 10 mill copies within the first month.
    You heard it here first....   Still trying to find the source on 7 mil copies sold.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    You heard it here first....   Still trying to find the source on 7 mil copies sold.
    Here is the official 7 mil and counting:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160602006554/en/Overwatch®-Global-Hit-7-Million-Players—and-Counting
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Varking said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Here is the official 7 mil and counting:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160602006554/en/Overwatch®-Global-Hit-7-Million-Players—and-Counting
    I cant find their source.  There are no quotes from Blizzard in the article so it wasn't from an interview.  Maybe a phone call idk.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    You're stretching pretty hard with those links. The only one applicable to your claim is the last and only in the context that Distopia was questioning the longevity of the game.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited June 2016
    Diablo 3 sold 6.3 million in its first week, Overwatch sold 7 million in its first week, thus overwatch is blizzard's fastest selling video game, and it sold more than they told investors it would.

Meaning blizzard owned it again, blizzard are still years away from not being able to sell even a polished turd at 5+ mil copies the first week with ~100mil advertising :)

5 mil copies at only $40 (no collector's, or cash shop/loot boxes) is 200 million, so if polished turd cost $10k they would earn 99 million dollars :)
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    LOL, ROFL, OMFG you re kidding etc etc etc.