Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article: ‘Overwatch’ is the most arrogant game of 2016

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    ^^^ Someone who plays for a carrot rather than fun or healthy competition.. ^^^ :)

The character progression is the element I can't wait to get past in any shooter/twitch based game I've played. I was disappointed when they added it to the Battlefield series.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    We have moved on from content packed games that want to retain players long term, now the companies want to make pretty games that are very shallow and made with a short development schedule.  Sadly consumers seem to ge fine with it.

Star Wars battlefront is a great example, extremely bare bones and online only game that had a far shorter dev time than usual.  It sold well over 12 million copies, lost almost all of its players very quick but it didnt matter because it still made a ton of money.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm interested in seeing sales numbers for Overwatch.  The only thing I've seen announced was for European sales, which listed no numbers.  It simply said "exceeded expectations."

I was hoping we'd get some info for the North American region today.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I would have started a thread but bleh I'm in jail and not because of anything I did which pisses me off.  

Right now Overwatch has more viewers then League of Legends on twitch.   I have never seen any game  have more viewers then LOL.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    edited June 2016

Lol, nope, it really is that good. People just can t handle that it s a Blizz game. I m not a Blizz lover at all, but they made one hell of a good game. I have 20+ hours in already, and still look forward to getting home and playing it. Not everyone is the same obviously, but to me, and many I know , this is the best game to come in a long while, and a lot of fun at that. Don t see me getting bored for a long, long time.

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited June 2016
    Youre in jail? Sorry to hear that. At least you have internet... in prison?

edit -- not meaning to derail the thread... My thoughts: I didnt buy it. But my guild leader Sandy in my guild has been playing it quite a lot. Meaning she isnt online in WoW anymore because shes been playing Overwatch. She says she will come back when Legion releases, though.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Can't say I agree.

Firstly, the only direct competitor is Team Fortress 2. I don't think the market is saturated with games like Overwatch. Call of Duty, CS:GO and Battlefield are all extremely different. While they are shooters, Overwatch is an ability centric game, much more similar to MOBAs than to CS:GO.

Secondly, competetive team games are not known for meta-progression. The main point is that all players are equal. The player progresses in terms of personal skill, not game dictated "skill". Adding any substantial progression system would pull away from that core principle.

I remember the main criticism for Heroes of the Storm was actually forced progression. People were upset they need to unlock abilities - saying they can't compete on an equal footing on lower levels.

I think Overwatch is unique enough for it to be a viable product. The moment to moment gameplay is fun, which is the most important thing. It could use with more social features in my opinion, to establish a stronger sense community. I did not play Counter Strike because of levels, but because my friends played it too.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    filmoret said:
    I would have started a thread but bleh I'm in jail and not because of anything I did which pisses me off.  

Right now Overwatch has more viewers then League of Legends on twitch.   I have never seen any game  have more viewers then LOL.
    At least you seem to have good company in jail...

With all the familiar "faces" I've seen in jail over the past week, I'm beginning to feel like I missed out on some awesome prank you guys pulled on Bill. :P

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I honestly would give it a whirl, I'm just not going to pay $40 for a game that also has microtransactions.

I still maintain that DOTA 2 has far and away the best monetization model in the industry (outside of standard buy to play models, which are my preferred).

If they want my money its either an entry fee in the form of a game purchase, or me buying purely cosmetic items through an in game store, not both.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    DMKano said:
    Oh it's happened before - but usually it doesn't last for more than a few days - because once the mega-streamers start playing LoL/Dota2 again - thats 60k viewers right there.
    A friend of mine expressed the opinion that Twitch would make or break both Battleborn and Overwatch, both being mostly arena-based PvP-focused, so out of curiosity I've been looking at the 'Games' list a few times a day ever since BB launched.

Since its launch I haven't seen Overwatch out of the top five, almost always in the top three, and quite often in the #1 spot. That may or may not continue to be the case, of course, but so far I've seen no evidence of Overwatch slowing down. Nor are its numbers particularly dependent on time-of-day, which seems to indicate it's not just dependent on a couple of big name streamers.

Battleborn (which I bought, but quickly bored of; I don't own Overwatch) has dropped like a rock. I rarely see it over 500 viewers and at the moment it's so far down the list I can't be arsed to find it.

Somewhat to my surprise, I've noticed that since the 1.2 patch The Division (which I also own, but haven't played in weeks) has stabilized at around 5K viewers, for the most part, after having dropped down to the 1K range prior to the patch. Didn't really expect to see it make a Twitch comeback, given that, unlike Destiny, it lacks arena PvP and, at least as far as I can figure out, PvP is the big draw on Twitch.

I honestly don't know how good an indicator Twitch is of a game's overall health, I suspect my friend is right and that for PvP-focused games it's probably pretty good. Whatever the case, since launch Overwatch has been pulling consistently high numbers, often the #1 spot, and so far there's no real indication of it slowing down.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "Furthermore, despite Blizzard’s trademark attention to detail, the layout of the maps often leaves something to be desired. Many of the maps feature impromptu choke points where players continually rush at one another, attempting to kill enough members of the opposing team to press forward to the objective."

I disagree with this point.  Clearly the chokepoints are intentional.  It allows for strategic setting up for characters that need to, which is a lot of them.  There are tons of nooks and crannies for snipers to work out of around them, plenty of places for symetra to hide things.

When I watch low-level games, players do just rush at eachother.  But in higher-level games, people make calls to wait and group and push as a unit.

Compared to CS:GO maps I've seen, these maps are way better and better looking, of course.

I see all of Blizzard's attention to detail throughout the game.

As for his main point that they didn't reinvent the wheel, well, that's not what Blizzard does, and nowhere did they claim to have done it.  They take solid ideas and polish the hell out of them.

There are some really cool things and character abilities I've not seen in games before. 

Granted, I've not played many shooters or TF2, but the game seems fresh to me. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Random dude on the internet doesn't like a thing.  News at 11.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2016
    "Furthermore, despite Blizzard’s trademark attention to detail, the layout of the maps often leaves something to be desired. Many of the maps feature impromptu choke points where players continually rush at one another, attempting to kill enough members of the opposing team to press forward to the objective."

I disagree with this point.  Clearly the chokepoints are intentional.  It allows for strategic setting up for characters that need to, which is a lot of them.  There are tons of nooks and crannies for snipers to work out of around them, plenty of places for symetra to hide things.

When I watch low-level games, players do just rush at eachother.  But in higher-level games, people make calls to wait and group and push as a unit.

Compared to CS:GO maps I've seen, these maps are way better and better looking, of course.

I see all of Blizzard's attention to detail throughout the game.

As for his main point that they didn't reinvent the wheel, well, that's not what Blizzard does, and nowhere did they claim to have done it.  They take solid ideas and polish the hell out of them.

There are some really cool things and character abilities I've not seen in games before. 

Granted, I've not played many shooters or TF2, but the game seems fresh to me. 
    This.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Blizzard is going to add all sorts of goodness to OW over the coming months and years. While I don't play for hours at a stretch, and never will, I love it and can't see myself bothering with any other FPS. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Blizzard fans are so bored they think this is the greatest game ever created.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    If I hadn't racked up hundreds of hours in Global Agenda (back in the day) and TF2 I would probably be right along side all those others enjoying this game. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2016
    filmoret said:
    Blizzard fans are so bored they think this is the greatest game ever created.
    I don't think a single person has said that and it's a cheap shot to say so. It's a game that people enjoy for many different reasons -- I love it because it's not a twitch-based game (though it can be) and I feel I contribute to my team even without being twitchy. It's not perfect, but it's a decent  game that appeals to gamers from lots of different genres and age brackets.

It's a game that millions love because...here's a shocker....it's fun. 

If turnabout is fair play, let's try this: Blizzard haters lack imagination. :dizzy: 

I'm going to assume that you said what you did because it's irksome that people like a game that you don't. Know what? What makes this world so amazing is that all sorts like all kinds of different things. Don't like OW? Great. But don't besmirch those who do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Ginaz said:
    Random dude on the internet doesn't like a thing.  News at 11.
    Random dude on the internet commenting on another random dude's comment about another random dude's comment. News at 11:30

Dog.jpg 59.4K

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    filmoret said:

Oh it's happened before - but usually it doesn't last for more than a few days - because once the mega-streamers start playing LoL/Dota2 again - thats 60k viewers right there.

All it takes is TWO 30k+ streamers to put Overwatch at the top now.

Now Overwatch could be popular for longer but - I doubt that it will stay #1 for years like LoL
    Actually no. This was never happened before. Yes some big streamers are streaming Overwatch quite often. But for example we met a new streamer with Overwatch named Seagull. He is not a new streamer actually. He was a professional Team Fortress 2 player before. But he made his fame with Overwatch and just last night he has +29k watchers on his stream. And he doesn't even use a cam. Plus one of the biggest CS Go streamers Josh OG decided that he will stream Overwatch regularly from now on. And he actually announced the biggest prize pool ever for an Overwatch tournament. He will organize it and the price is $25k. This is not a big prize normally. But this is a tournament witch created by a single streamer. So this is actually HUGE. On top of that there are huge amount of asian streamers and their channels put up some great numbers already. Yeah we never saw something this big before on Twitch. The closest thing I can remember is Heartstone. And yeah the only similar thing is just an another Blizzard game.

On the topic, well I don't agree with the op in any way. I already played Overwatch +450 hours(beta included) and I still play it everyday without slowing down. This game made me quit mmorpgs(finally). And I don't think I will ever get bored from it, given that I played Tf2 over +3000 hours.
    edited June 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Comparing Overwatch to Halo, Counterstrike and Call of Duty is like saying that Ketchup is Marinara Sauce.

Then he says that after investing a dozen hours, he's seen it all... after saying it's worse than Halo, Counterstrike and Call of Duty in which you will see all there is to see in 15 minutes.

The ignorance in this "review" is astounding.  Someone has an axe to grind because all their buddies are playing Overwatch and they're sitting on an empty CoD server going "Guys?  Guys??!?".
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Think I'm more impressed Runescape is no. 16. Guess people still into it...