Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively Article discusses bringing expectations "back down to earth"

Comments

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited June 2016
    [mod edit] How about just to wait and see ?
    If they succeed weee!!!!!! great if not whatever .
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited June 2016
    Zultra said:
    The news today all but confirms it's existence. 
    Hmm.. not sure why the message was blank.. anyhow:

Yeah I don't think this is a scam at all.  I just have serious doubts about their ability to deliver on their promises.  Pretty close to how the author seems to feel.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    More useless trash talk ?Slapshot aren't you tired of it? How about just to wait and see ?
    If they succeed weee!!!!!! great if not whatever .
    Is it useless? Is it really trash talk? Trash talk is usually insults with no basis in reality. If I said your mom was so fat, she fell out of bed from both sides, that is trash because that isn't possible, and I don't know your mom. What was discussed in that article, on the other hand, was actual reality and how mmos and their development have worked in the past.

If you want nothing but positivity and rainbows, hit the official forums. If you don't want to endure objective discussions on your dream game, you probably shouldn't spend much time on mmorpg.com.

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    This article was written before the announcement that they are partnering with Improbable. The use of SpatialOS will help keep the development time down and help control costs immensely. The SpatialOS engine will also do a lot with streamlining the implementation of the systems and mechanisms Soulbound wants to put in CoE. This partnership is why they will be able to stay within their proposed time frame and budget.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    900K? 30KK is the minimum nowadays if you want to try getting some buzz with your MMO.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I'm a little confused. I did a little research on this SpatialOS and it doesn't seem like it's a match for CoE. The Software is meant for virtual worlds to exceed conventional limits, specifically in the area of the number of players allowed in the same world space at any given time. The primary purpose of SpatialOS seems to get massive amounts of players in the same space.

WTH does a niche game need with that?  

Sure, I can see advantages across the board. It looks like a really great concept and something the MMORPG genre needed for a long time. But  Well....I guess we will see how this benefits this game overall. Though I still think it's not going to save them nearly enough money to make up the gap of the 900K they have and the tens of millions they need.
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Kabulozo said:
    900K? 30KK is the minimum nowadays if you want to try getting some buzz with your MMO.
    A few centuries ago aluminum was a precious metal exclusive to the rich, now it is widely available.

Clocks used to be expensive and rare, now you can buy a digital watch for a few dollars.

Paint brushes used to require animal fur bristles, now they can be produced with synthetic fibers cheaply.

Things change.
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited June 2016
    Vucar said:
    Kabulozo said:
    A few centuries ago aluminum was a precious metal exclusive to the rich, now it is widely available.

Clocks used to be expensive and rare, now you can buy a digital watch for a few dollars.

Paint brushes used to require animal fur bristles, now they can be produced with synthetic fibers cheaply.

Things change.
    The changes you mention were accomplished progressively, following trends.  The current trend for MMORPGs is that they're increasingly costly to develop.

Those changes also occurred over a long period of time, in some case hundreds of years. Chronicles of Elyria is slated for release in less than 2 years.
  • MorwynnMorwynn Member UncommonPosts: 54
    GeezerGamer, I don't know all the ins and outs of the new SpatialOS but Caspain explained the yesterday's Q&A how the game world is designed. With well over 25 different biomes, each with their own weather systems and patern, not to mention natural disasters (a stretch goal), animal migrations, changing tearrain and with the ability of teraforming in the future, to me sounds like a living virtual world.

So if you have a chance stop and check out the Q&A towards the 3/4 mark and he explains the many facets of the world.

DM21 Gaming (CoE): 

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Caspian

Are we really going to let this guy get away with giving himself a Nickname? I am pretty sure it's old magic that forbids anyone but the most legendary musicians from getting away with this. I mean it's not like we don't know his name, why does he need an alter ego? I met Richard Garriot (Lord British) once and while that guy was pretty cool in person, his moniker always struck me as lame. 

Why didn't Massively cover this part of the story?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DrakenhoffDrakenhoff Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Archlyte said:
    Caspian

Are we really going to let this guy get away with giving himself a Nickname? I am pretty sure it's old magic that forbids anyone but the most legendary musicians from getting away with this. I mean it's not like we don't know his name, why does he need an alter ego? I met Richard Garriot (Lord British) once and while that guy was pretty cool in person, his moniker always struck me as lame. 

You mean just like you have a nickname on the forums?

Why don't you use your real name?

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

• ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Archlyte said:
    Caspian

Apparently Caspian is an important part of the CoE lore 
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm a little confused. I did a little research on this SpatialOS and it doesn't seem like it's a match for CoE. The Software is meant for virtual worlds to exceed conventional limits, specifically in the area of the number of players allowed in the same world space at any given time. The primary purpose of SpatialOS seems to get massive amounts of players in the same space.

Sure, I can see advantages across the board. It looks like a really great concept and something the MMORPG genre needed for a long time. But  Well....I guess we will see how this benefits this game overall. Though I still think it's not going to save them nearly enough money to make up the gap of the 900K they have and the tens of millions they need.
    Well, apparently the CoE design is aimed at having "up to 30K player characters and 70K NPC's" in the game world at all times.

Remember that player characters never leave the game world once created, they simply become AI-managed when the player logs out.

With 100K characters permanently active in the game world, it's easy to see why CoE needs bleeding-edge tech like SpatialOS.

The unproven and ambitious indie team developing CoE will use SpatialOS to make CoE a viable game !

PS: The SpatialOS engine is currently being developed by an unproven and ambitious indie team from the UK... :D 

Well, apparently the CoE design is aimed at having "up to 30K player characters and 70K NPC's" in the game world at all times.

Remember that player characters never leave the game world once created, they simply become AI-managed when the player logs out.

With 100K characters permanently active in the game world, it's easy to see why CoE needs bleeding-edge tech like SpatialOS.

The unproven and ambitious indie team developing CoE will use SpatialOS to make CoE a viable game !

PS: The SpatialOS engine is currently being developed by an unproven and ambitious indie team from the UK... :D 
    Really bored of your negativity now.

Signed Davan Drakenhoff ruler of Castle Drakenhoff the impenatrable castle made from cardboard

The first part of my post was fact, the second part was sarcasm.

But if you prefer, I'll drop the facts, tone down the sarcasm and stick with pure negativity.

The first part of my post was fact, the second part was sarcasm.

But if you prefer, I'll drop the facts, tone down the sarcasm and stick with pure negativity.
    Really sarcasm ???
    Definately read more like negativity 

You basically stated one of my concerns, (I posted in a different thread) There are so many questions about this right now. They are trumpeting this announcement but are failing to see the flip side.

The unknown here is MASSIVE! No body knows how (or even IF) this is going to work. And they think this is going to bring funding up? Not that I was on the fence before as I will never pay for an unreleased game, but if I was on the fence over COE prior to this announcement, I'd have climbed right down and taken a back seat playing the waiting game.........well that's what I am doing now anyway so.......
    edited June 2016

But what he said is correct. Both teams and products are unproven and/or undeveloped. They are both ambitious and they are indie developers. He didn't lie, It's not even an opinion really. Sure he added blatant sarcasm to the post, but frankly, I think it is justifiable given what these developers are promising. What he said is 100% truth.

If you are bored with the truth, then what does that mean? You don't like him challenging your fantasy with reality? IMO, this bird will never fly. There is just cause to doubt this game will ever see the light of day. Look at what they are promising.......You really think $1M is going to fund that?  Really?
    edited June 2016

But what he said is correct. Both teams and products are unproven and/or undeveloped. They are both ambitious and they are indie developers. He didn't lie, It's not even an opinion really. Sure he added blatant sarcasm to the post, but frankly, I think it is justifiable given what these developers are promising. What he said is 100% truth.

If you are bored with the truth, then what does that mean? You don't like him challenging your fantasy with reality? IMO, this bird will never fly. There is just cause to doubt this game will ever see the light of day. Look at what they are promising.......You really think $1M is going to fund that?  Really?
    It might be true that they are an unknown developer but it's still negative. I'm sick of people nit picking at thegame no matter what the team do.

Is that what this site is about? Picking at developers trying to do something that the main stream won't do because they all want the next o cash cow?
    And here is me thinking it was about people who love mmorpg's and want to find info on their next game....

Also if you followed the game you would see that they don't think $1M will be enough. But then all the people that are negative literally look at what they asked for on the ks and think that's the full budget...

• DukeTyrionDukeTyrion Member UncommonPosts: 89
    This may sound a bit silly, and apologies if it does but ...

... leading up to the kickstarter, the numbers for 'top voted games' on the front page all started to change, many of the numbers for various games were in the 8's, but quite quickly over a few days CoE went up to 8.4 and all the other games' ratings dropped below 8. Because I thought it all a bit weird, I decided not to back CoE (I know tin foil hat and all that).
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited June 2016
    @Drakenhoff 
    None of our business when you support their shady and unprofessional approach.

None of your business when we don't support it.
    Harbinger of Fools

It might be true that they are an unknown developer but it's still negative. I'm sick of people nit picking at thegame no matter what the team do.

Is that what this site is about? Picking at developers trying to do something that the main stream won't do because they all want the next o cash cow?
    And here is me thinking it was about people who love mmorpg's and want to find info on their next game....

Also if you followed the game you would see that they don't think $1M will be enough. But then all the people that are negative literally look at what they asked for on the ks and think that's the full budget...
    I don't really care what they think they need. It's all about what they have. Look at the game they are selling us and can you honestly tell me you believe it can be done with..........what are they up to....1.2M now?

Afaik, this site exists for the discussion of all matters relating to online games, past, present and future. Not exclusively, but mainly.

So discussing the pro's and con's of new game projects is entirely within the scope of this site. Many of us have seen projects similar to CoE in the past. Some of us have even supported some of those projects. Most of us have seen what happens when a small team arrives on the scene and promises to deliver the moon AND stars...

I'm not critical of CoE because "it's trying to do something different", I'm critical because I think the game design and timetable are wholly unrealistic.

Scepticism should be welcomed, because if your project can confidently face the critics, then it will sell itself. And there will always be critics for every project, that is just human nature.

Archlyte said:
    Caspian

You mean just like you have a nickname on the forums?

Why don't you use your real name?
    You first. My name is not known for good reason. If I had a game company and appeared in the public it would be different. 
    What's up with the thin skins? Game isn't out, there is nothing to objectively dislike. Probably better to let people vent and kindly correct misinformation instead of ramping up the butthurt. If this game releases with half the stuff they are proposing it will be awesome.