Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is MMO dead for you?

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    No, as bleak as things currently are, I have not lost hope that I will find another game I enjoy. 
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Not dead no.  However the magic is for me at least.  In the early days mmos were really ambitious and dared to push limits.  Now they just seem like regular games and it seems silly to invest extra time to them.  Add the hacking issue and I lose most of my motivation to play.  

Mainstream is reality tv, crappy pop music, cheesy super hero movies trying to be dramatic, etc.  Mmos are becoming mainstream.  
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

For all intents and purposes? Yes.  And has been for a while.  I had a brief glimmer of fun with FFXIV until I burned through all the content and the game didn't give me a compelling reason to stay (such as community, etc). But outside of that I haven't played nor had the interest in playing an MMO for a long time. I just looked a little while back and the last time I played WoW was in early 2011 (and I didn't particularly enjoy most of cataclysm).

I have restrained hope for Camelot Unchained and Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, but outside of that probably the most formative and awesome gaming genre in my life has been an empty and dead husk.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    For me it might as well have been called dead, the last game I bought was The Secret World, last game I felt invested in was Rift. I have tried games like gw2, ff14, eso, wildstar, neverwinter among many others but they just won't capture me. They give me the feeling of been there, done that, someone else did it better already.

I still follow games like pantheon, camelot unchained and crowfall.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    edited June 2016
    I liked Black Desert from trying the beta, the action combat and several other things were refreshing and very fun. Even though I don't play it, due to disliking the monetization, I think it's an important game for the genre.

I hope other developers can take many good features from that game and improve other aspects. A BDO-style action combat RvR(PvP) game in the Warhammer universe sounds appealing to me :]

Warhammer Online is currently the only MMORPG I play, a few hours per week on a private server. Of the upcoming games Camelot Unchained is the only one I plan to check out.
    Post edited by Foncl on
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    absolutely.. and I have a dozen MMORPGs installed on my computer... finding it really hard to log in any of them, because they are crap compared to games and times that we have lost forever.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    edited June 2016
    MMORPG is pretty dead for me, I now reside in the MMOFPS genre with Planetside 2, which is really a MMORTSFPS with the new base building system. It's a PVP MMO sandbox.  I've returned to single player RPG's, where  RPG can really do it's thing. Witcher 3 is such a great reminder  on how bad the RPG experience in MMORPG's has gotten.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    IAmMMO said:
    MMORPG is pretty dead for me, I now reside in the MMOFPS genre with Planetside 2, which is really a MMORTSFPS with the new base building system. It's a PVP MMO sandbox.  I've returned to single player RPG's, where  RPG can really do it's thing. Witcher 3 is such a great reminder  on how bad the RPG experience in MMORPG's.
    I like Witcher 3 - but you have to admit all those PoIs on the map SMACK of MMO design :)
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    archeage pretty much dead, i dont know what trion doing with those much money they get in alpha stage. still no siege war until now. 

gw2? the game design is good but i hate the graphic. u cant look at gw2 graphic anymore after u saw black desert online.

teso? too much pve for my liking. pvp map is not newbie friendly. level cap also too high.

black desert? i need to buy paid vpn this week to experience it. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Well I voted No because I've never stopped actively playing MMORPGs since 2001 and have almost 2 years straight exclusively with EVE currently.

But I could have voted yes as no modern MMO has been worth playing for more than 3 months since WOW launched. (I did not find EVE until 2007)

Nor do I see much on the horizon of interest outside of a few promising indie MMOs, most don't appeal to me.

I'll likely stick with EVE until they close the doors on it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited June 2016
    fodell54 said:
    scorpex-x said:
    Why would anyone post here if they thought it was?

To dance on the corpse? To rant about how it died? To grief together?

At this moment, 37% voted "yes". 
    Let's be honest more then 37% of the people on this site are fucking stupid. They are here for one reason and mmos aren't it. They're here to do one thing and it starts with a T and end with 2 L's.

The other people voting "yes" are people that are stuck in the past and still complaining that not a single good game has come out in the last 10 years. Gimme a fucking break.
    If one defines "Good" as adhering to older game designs, then there has been no MMORPGS worthy of playing in over 10 years for sure.

But if you enjoy the current designs then you will see no issue.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The MMO is not dead. The MMORPG is.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    How can it be dead when I am still playing games with other people ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    cheyane said:
    The question was asked towards the individual and not if the genre was still around.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:

I'll likely stick with EVE until they close the doors on it.
    what do you do after that?
    cheyane said:
    You have to ask the 41% (up to 41 now) who voted "yes". 
    fodell54 said:
    scorpex-x said:

Let's be honest more then 37% of the people on this site are fucking stupid. They are here for one reason and mmos aren't it. They're here to do one thing and it starts with a T and end with 2 L's.

The other people voting "yes" are people that are stuck in the past and still complaining that not a single good game has come out in the last 10 years. Gimme a fucking break.
    So do you belong to the 37% or the 63%?
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    fodell54 said:
    scorpex-x said:

Well I voted yes because I like to PVP competitively... games are dying for us.... we just keep losing and losing because most people don't look for that I guess?

Its not like interacting with the environment... population matters more so they die faster.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I picked up MMOs (right after Quake/Unreal Tournament) back in days of Asheron's Call/Everquest 1 and rode on that wave ever since until past 5 years or so. I skipped all other genres during that period until I figured MMO's actually are the least developed of any genre.

You want competitive PVP?
    Battlefield/CoD or Quake/DOOM/Unreal or LOL/DOTA or Overwatch/Battleborn all of them without exception offer way more polished experience than any MMO ever has.

Great story?
    Gimme a break will ya! Single player games provide superior narrative and gameplay environment for those that like to immerse themselves. FarCry/Tomb Raider/Witcher/Assasin Creed/Dragon Age and Mass Effect jut to name a few and the list is much longer.

Let's be honest, majority today zergs through single player content SOLO only to end up in some player hub and queue dungeons or raids and that's it.  Entire open landmasses are desolate of all players, a complete waste of developer resources.

Developing an MMO just isn't viable from any perspective nor is playing one.

However they just slap MMO tag to pretty much any game nowadays that's got online gameplay implemented in any form so I just chuckle to that term.

Basically this forum is MMO, it's massive, got people from all over the world on at the same time, content is what we make it but it's got no graphics but having graphics isn't requirement for an MMO soo...
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I see this period as a necessary adjustment. What follows is anecdotal. 

The big budget jack-of-all-trades MMORPG in the style of WOW belong to another time, and they seem to have been deemed too risky by most large studios, who are instead moving towards MOBAs, CCGs and coops. The F2P cash grabs seem to be alienating a lot of consumers and are increasingly reliant upon a very few whales to stay afloat. Both are on the decline or are struggling to attract loyal players.

MMORPG is a young genre that has been over-shadowed by one behemoth of a game. With the games that followed in that mold in decline, and the mercenary cash-grabs receiving shorter shrift from an increasingly savvy playerbase, it leaves a gap in the market for a few indies to provide some alternatives. One of which will capture the imagination of players, become wildly popular and move the genre forward in a different direction; and then the whole cycle will repeat and we will be having this same discussion in fifteen years time when we are all bored of Yet-to-be-released-MMO-clones.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Voted No

There are still MMOs out there - by which i mean games with 500+ concurrent players on the same server / shard / instance who are able to interact with one another if they choose to.

However, I don't actively play any MMOs at the moment because my choices are very limited for my particular playstyle. I don't like action combat, so most modern releases aren't my cup of tea and the older games have either changed too much for me to enjoy anymore or are missing features which I deem essential (typically objective-based open world pvp - aka keep fights!)

I am still hopeful for the future. Games like ESO, Destiny and The Division have shown us that the console market has an appetite for purely online multiplayer RPGs so I think we'll see more console devs moving into the MMO space. Whilst Destiny and TD aren't MMOs, they're moving in the right direction. We should also start seeing some of the indie MMOs coming to fruition over the next 18 months which also has the potential to revitalise the MMO space. 
    Games like ESO, Destiny and The Division have shown us that the console market has an appetite for purely online multiplayer RPGs so I think we'll see more console devs moving into the MMO space.  
    isnt it the other way around? instead of making mmos, western AAA devs are making online games with some mmo elements?

and of course to broaden the appeal of mmos, these games are called mmos by some websites.
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Definitely, no.. Not dead, and not even close to ever dying.. Still playing and being entertained by what has been produced.. And designing what I eventually want.. :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Kyleran said:
    fodell54 said:
    scorpex-x said:

If one defines "Good" as adhering to older game designs, then there has been no MMORPGS worthy of playing in over 10 years for sure.

But if you enjoy the current designs then you will see no issue.
    For some it doesn't even seem they were fans of the actual genre, they just happened to like one or two titles in it. I could have fallen into that group up until a few years ago. It took realizing my taste had to expand a bit if I still wanted to play some of these games. Now I'm up to 5 MMOPRGs that I liked :P..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• myxaplixmyxaplix Member UncommonPosts: 41
    In a world of MOBAs and end game PVP only games, MMOs seem to be few and far between. Thank Jebus for Fallout4 and XCOM2.