Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Card Game Meets Turn-Based Strategy Coated with Pixel Art - Duelyst Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

imageCard Game Meets Turn-Based Strategy Coated with Pixel Art - Duelyst Review

For a change, let’s start with a challenge: Can you find any article about digital CCGs (collectible card games) that doesn’t mention Hearthstone at least once? See, I already did it myself. However, even if you are not the biggest fan of Blizzard’s success game, it is hard to neglect how much it opened the door for a new generation of great digital card games. One of those is Duelyst, a Kickstarter-funded little gem that is so much more than just a CCG.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited May 2016
    On top of all of the above, there is an ingame narated Lore you can listen to that add a huge RPG aspect and the factions are really disctinct in playstyle and feel to their mechanics in a very satisfying way.

You can get to ''S RANK'' (equivalent of legend) totally f2p, i was able to do this in my first month of play and even if now i have all the cards each month (season) i create a smurf to do it again as it is very fun

You get gold / rewards and hidden acheivement while playing so playing the game is very rewarding and you dont need t spend that much money to get your first ''competitive'' deck.

This is an amazing game that all chess, turn based and CCG gamers will love.

Oh the best part of this game is that your deck doesnt matter as much. The RNG is really toned down and way less present than in HS and the chess board, turn based gameplay and tactical aspect make it that ''skill'' and smart thinking is highly rewarded. The best cards / decks dont win you the game as much as the best strategy, positionning, movement of troopes does.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,869
    edited May 2016
    Tried it for a bit. I'd rather have well done card art that doesn't move over pixelated animated characters. It's hideous. This is coming from a guy who grew up with an Atari.

Currently playing: Red Dead Online, Destiny 2 and MTG: Arena

==============================================================

Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, BDO, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, EVE, EQ1, EQ2, ESO, Fallen Earth, FFXI, FFXIV, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MxO, Neverwinter, Rift, RoE, Ryzom, Shadowbane, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...and a bunch of others not worth mentioning.

===============================================================

Joined - July 2004

• YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Wish I'd read the bit about the installer. Not a bad game though, I don't mind the pixel graphics that much.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,869
    edited June 2016
    I forced myself to keep playing, and it's a good game, despite my hatred of their art direction. They have no excuse not to make this thing mobile asap.

Currently playing: Red Dead Online, Destiny 2 and MTG: Arena

==============================================================

Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, BDO, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, EVE, EQ1, EQ2, ESO, Fallen Earth, FFXI, FFXIV, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MxO, Neverwinter, Rift, RoE, Ryzom, Shadowbane, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...and a bunch of others not worth mentioning.

===============================================================

Joined - July 2004