Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would it take for you to become an indie developer?

DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
On a serious level, what would it take for you to drop whatever you're doing now - and just go for it?

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Money, around $100k.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Skill, knowledge, experience, motivation and money.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DKLond said:
    On a serious level, what would it take for you to drop whatever you're doing now - and just go for it?
    A gun to the head ?

I've been a software developer all my life, but in business applications, not games. At least in business apps, you never get death threats from users... :D 
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    DMKano said:
    There is nothing in the world that would make me want to be a developer of any sort. I am happy being a locust. 

If someone wants to be an indie developer all they need is desire and skill obviously  - because you can develop a game alone, many indies have done so.

Another option is rpgmaker.
    If skill and desire was enough, I'd be making games all day long.

Ambition and energy, sadly, are needed too :)

But I'm not asking what it takes - but what would make others do it.

Just curious.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    DKLond said:
    DMKano said:
    There is nothing in the world that would make me want to be a developer of any sort. I am happy being a locust. 

If someone wants to be an indie developer all they need is desire and skill obviously  - because you can develop a game alone, many indies have done so.

Another option is rpgmaker.
    If skill and desire was enough, I'd be making games all day long.

Ambition and energy, sadly, are needed too :)

But I'm not asking what it takes - but what would make others do it.

Just curious.
    It comes down to a money thing. I would want all the money that is required for every year of development, figuring in delays including an extra year or two as a buffer assuming I had figured out about how many people could feasibly buy the game and whether or not, once those sales happened, I would be in the black and would be able to continue with another game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Reliable income, benefits, skills. I would have a great time bringing games to life. I'm very creative and when I make things I'm passionate about them and can't wait to show them off. I work like a man possessed when it comes to projects. Game development would be an ultimate canvass for bringing my ideas to life.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    More children! I currently have 4 boys and I've been teaching them about software development, using game development as a means to capture their attention. Things are coming along, but they tend to have the collective attention span of a poodle at the best of times "squirrel !!!". So I figure if I had another 10 or 20, we might be able to have a releasable game in the next decade :) 

It would probably take a collective interest and a glimmer of hope. Oh! And a can of unicorn farts. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    DKLond said:
    A gun to the head ?

I've been a software developer all my life, but in business applications, not games. At least in business apps, you never get death threats from users... :D 
    and then there is the other thing.

I am a few years from early retirement, I have been behind a computer working for 24 years (10 years of which coding), do i want to spend my freedom coding or would I rather learn archery and travel the country.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I am a hobbyist game designer, so the step from there to indie game designer would only be finding a teammate who wanted to lead development of a game that I had designed, or who wanted me to collaborate with someone on a new design.  I can do that from home in my free time, so I don't charge for that.  Concept art and script writing take a bit more work but I'd be happy to supply them in support of one of my own designs.  Buuuut, the question asked is about being a developer.  What, precisely, does that mean I'd have to do?  I'm not a programmer, aside from doing some basic scripting of quests and combat AI.  I'm not a professional quality artist either, though I could probably improve my 3D art to something usable for a game if I had 20k to throw at software and tools.  I don't have the personal drive and motivational and organizational skills, or the knowledge about engines and other development topics, to be a competent lead developer; no amount of money would fix that.  So finding such a person to work with would be the main requirement besides a pile of money.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    I am a hobbyist game designer, so the step from there to indie game designer would only be finding a teammate who wanted to lead development of a game that I had designed, or who wanted me to collaborate with someone on a new design.  I can do that from home in my free time, so I don't charge for that.  Concept art and script writing take a bit more work but I'd be happy to supply them in support of one of my own designs.  Buuuut, the question asked is about being a developer.  What, precisely, does that mean I'd have to do?  I'm not a programmer, aside from doing some basic scripting of quests and combat AI.  I'm not a professional quality artist either, though I could probably improve my 3D art to something usable for a game if I had 20k to throw at software and tools.  I don't have the personal drive and motivational and organizational skills, or the knowledge about engines and other development topics, to be a competent lead developer; no amount of money would fix that.  So finding such a person to work with would be the main requirement besides a pile of money.
    to add to your question.

What if  person created a rule set (as you have), organized it (as I assume you have) and put it in a book form as a D20 game. would one then be a indie game developer? I say yes

Thus given that it sounds to me like you have about 80% of above then it sounds like indie developer to me.

anyway, more of a question on my part given the example.

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Buuuut, the question asked is about being a developer.  What, precisely, does that mean I'd have to do?
    to add to your question.

What if  person created a rule set (as you have), organized it (as I assume you have) and put it in a book form as a D20 game. would one then be a indie game developer? I say yes

Thus given that it sounds to me like you have about 80% of above then it sounds like indie developer to me.

That's true; if I wanted to spend about 3 months worth of my free time putting together a roleplaying handbook I'd be able to self-publish it as an ebook.  No money needed unless I wanted to try to promote it.  If I wanted to spend 6 months on it I could have actual illustrations.  Would anyone buy this book, well, with no promotional campaign it wouldn't sell much.  If I gave it away for free, does it then not count as an indie game?  There are a lot of interesting facets to this question.  But my guess is that the functional answer is going to be: "We're talking about video game development here, (maybe MMO development specifically?) and an indie roleplaying system developer just isn't the same as an indie game developer."
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Buuuut, the question asked is about being a developer.  What, precisely, does that mean I'd have to do?
    to add to your question.

That's true; if I wanted to spend about 3 months worth of my free time putting together a roleplaying handbook I'd be able to self-publish it as an ebook.  No money needed unless I wanted to try to promote it.  If I wanted to spend 6 months on it I could have actual illustrations.  Would anyone buy this book, well, with no promotional campaign it wouldn't sell much.  If I gave it away for free, does it then not count as an indie game?  There are a lot of interesting facets to this question.  But my guess is that the functional answer is going to be: "We're talking about video game development here, (maybe MMO development specifically?) and an indie roleplaying system developer just isn't the same as an indie game developer."
    yeah and the question came up for me because its exactly what I am thinking about doing. 

Going the PnP route with an idea I have. I am a programmer by trade but I dont want to go the full video game route becaues I dont want to code all night after coding all day. Now given my skill set I could make a online resource of the PnP which would kinda make it more of a webbased version of a PnP game? anyway been thinking about doing that

• GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Financial stability and the skills required

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    In my case a totally brand new brain.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I worked on one for like 9 years before realizing it is just a waste of my time. Moved on to other stuff that ACTUALLY pays me to do it. Current project is financing the next project but it is NOT MMO.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    ArChWind said:
    I worked on one for like 9 years before realizing it is just a waste of my time. Moved on to other stuff that ACTUALLY pays me to do it. Current project is financing the next project but it is NOT MMO.
    My next project which I hope to start in 2 more years is driving my RV all over american where ever I want to or not if I dont want to. My dream of doing going where I want, when I want...oh yeaha

SEANMCAD said:

Going the PnP route with an idea I have. I am a programmer by trade but I dont want to go the full video game route becaues I dont want to code all night after coding all day. Now given my skill set I could make a online resource of the PnP which would kinda make it more of a webbased version of a PnP game? anyway been thinking about doing that
    The main reason I haven't done a book (which would be for an email/forum friendly system with dice used only by the GM) is that I don't play non-computer RPGs so I don't really know how many people still use book-based systems at all, or what they are looking for in a new system, or if they would prefer not to have to learn a new system.  Nor do I have any friends who have asked me to write up my system because they want to play with it. :confounded:  Meanwhile I am really in the mood for a FF-style PS1/2 era RPG with the satisfying kind of grinding and some ancient ruins containing the clues to some giant mystery...
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DKLond said:

97.8 million dollars.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    A real job offer
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I already work in IT as a technical development manager (managing a team of programmers) and I've been a programmer most of my adult life. 

There is literally nothing you could do to get me to be a programmer again (except if it was the only job I could get - I'd rather be a programmer than homeless!). 

However, if I had a bunch of friends who wanted to make games and at least one of them was a talented programmer then I'd be up for it. I'd willingly learn modelling skills and I'd love to do the design work / plan out mechanics / project management / marketing / finance. I'd also need the game idea to be something I genuinely believed in. 
    I already work in IT as a technical development manager (managing a team of programmers) and I've been a programmer most of my adult life. 

There is literally nothing you could do to get me to be a programmer again (except if it was the only job I could get - I'd rather be a programmer than homeless!). 

However, if I had a bunch of friends who wanted to make games and at least one of them was a talented programmer then I'd be up for it. I'd willingly learn modelling skills and I'd love to do the design work / plan out mechanics / project management / marketing / finance. I'd also need the game idea to be something I genuinely believed in. 
    Yeah, I know what you mean.

I can "borrow" code and merge it with bits and pieces of my own, but it'll never be my passion. I hate how coding something ends up being 95% detective work and 5% progress.

I can do decent UI art, I'm an ok writer - and I'm willing to challenge anyone in terms of creative game design - but coding is damned hard work.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    DKLond said:

I can "borrow" code and merge it with bits and pieces of my own, but it'll never be my passion. I hate how coding something ends up being 95% detective work and 5% progress.

I can do decent UI art, I'm an ok writer - and I'm willing to challenge anyone in terms of creative game design - but coding is damned hard work.
    Lol, I agree about detective work!

I also seem to have an issue remembering languages. Even at school, I was usually top of my class in just about everything except languages, I could just never remember all the words!

But yeh, the detective side annoys me. Develop locally - takes a while but get everything working. Move to development server, nothing works. Spend hours / days / weeks searching for solution, internet comes close to having answers but never quite there. Error logs often point at the wrong thing. Create a duplicate of the project on the same development server but duplicate works, despite being 100% identical code. Then, deploy to live environment, something breaks again. Pull your hair out trying to fix. 

Usually turns out to be something that shouldn't break but somehow has, like PHP versions are 1 minor release apart between environments, or the process for cycling error logs is creating the new error logs with wrong permission level or something irritating like that. 

Boring, frustrating and never ending! 

When I was working in QA for a AAA games studio they actually offered me a development job for good money but I turned them down. Great team, nice enough company, but uggghhh, the thought of having to program underlying systems on a complex driving game just scared the shit out of me. You just know that someone out there would find an obscure bug that only occured on their particular hardware setup and I'd have to fix it. Screw that!
    DKLond said:

Lol, I agree about detective work!

I also seem to have an issue remembering languages. Even at school, I was usually top of my class in just about everything except languages, I could just never remember all the words!

But yeh, the detective side annoys me. Develop locally - takes a while but get everything working. Move to development server, nothing works. Spend hours / days / weeks searching for solution, internet comes close to having answers but never quite there. Error logs often point at the wrong thing. Create a duplicate of the project on the same development server but duplicate works, despite being 100% identical code. Then, deploy to live environment, something breaks again. Pull your hair out trying to fix. 

Usually turns out to be something that shouldn't break but somehow has, like PHP versions are 1 minor release apart between environments, or the process for cycling error logs is creating the new error logs with wrong permission level or something irritating like that. 

Boring, frustrating and never ending! 

When I was working in QA for a AAA games studio they actually offered me a development job for good money but I turned them down. Great team, nice enough company, but uggghhh, the thought of having to program underlying systems on a complex driving game just scared the shit out of me. You just know that someone out there would find an obscure bug that only occured on their particular hardware setup and I'd have to fix it. Screw that!
    Hehe, yeah.

I think you really need to be in love with code to make a job out of it.

I quit Computer Science twice before I realised that would never be me ;)
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

Easy, money, give me enough money and I'll become a indie dev.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    A real job offer
    Ah. Been getting those job offers where the office ends up looking like this eh?

Lol. I know that couch :+1: