Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chris Roberts and Star Citizen will not be at E3 this year.

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295

>>> Do you have a source that the event will be fully paid by tickets? >>>

Feel free to contact the Manchester venue for a quote. Event size 750 people. If you want a verifyable fact w.r.t. the cost of such an event.

Or compare prices in the internet e.g. here for the UK
    http://www.prestigevenuesandevents.sodexo.com/

>>> Do you have a source that you indeed organized big events like that? >>>

Yes. But none that I will post here as this is personal information and I am not about to feed the doxing trolls
    from the SomethingAwful forum.

>>>It's 650 now not THOUSANDS. >>>

That sentence made no sense.
    650 visitors times ticket price 40 equals 26000 english pounds (about 38.000 $).

>>> I doubt anything you say is true. >>>

You can doubt it as much as you like. That is your right.

It all comes down to credibility.

Have fun
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    E3 is history. More and more major Publishers/studios are backing out and go for more localized events like the Games Con's and PAX's, as those are actually visitable by the people that buy your game! You know, your fans.

Even Nintendo is hardly showing anything this year, other than the new Zelda. This has created a huge backlash and dissapointment in the Nintendo community by the way.

E3 is just a former shell of itself. The Games con's and PAX events have been much more interesting in the past 2 years or so.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

This is not an epic news development, lol, but by all means keep trying to make it so ! :D 

So is it a waste of time for CIG?

Do they have to fly the team to E3?

You did not answer my questions yet. 

Carry on Commandos!
    Yes, it is a waste of time and money for CIG, unless they're going to do a full presentation.

Yes, they need to fly a full team to E3 if the want to do a quality presentation. That would include preparing various aspects of the presentation beforehand, which takes time and pulls people away from their day jobs. Anyone doing a half-baked presentation at E3 looks like an idiot in front of the world's gaming media.

SC is hardly an unknown indie project at this point. No doubt if they felt they needed a fresh influx of funding, they would have been waving the flag at E3 for all that sweet "exposure and promotion".

Clearly E3 is less important than working on the game development at this point ! :D
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    JeroKane said:
    E3 is history. More and more major Publishers/studios are backing out and go for more localized events like the Games Con's and PAX's, as those are actually visitable by the people that buy your game! You know, your fans.

Even Nintendo is hardly showing anything this year, other than the new Zelda. This has created a huge backlash and dissapointment in the Nintendo community by the way.

E3 is just a former shell of itself. The Games con's and PAX events have been much more interesting in the past 2 years or so.
    However, E3 appears to be redefiining itself this year being open to the public (maybe that is next year) anyway, changing the rules big time they are

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    bmw66 said:

I am wondering why the Star citizen representative on this forum, @Erillion, is not posting this important news about the game. I always see him post almost immediately after CIG releases anything.

Carry on Commandos!
    Why??  Because the whole project is floundering.  What are they going to show a pre-alpha game after 5 years and 100+ mil down the tubes.  What we have here is a failure to launch. This game will NEVER happen as advertised and there WILL be a class action suit.
    All they have to show is 64 bit space actually working.  That would be enough to see engineer's jaw drop all over E3.  Since they claim to have 64 bit space working it wouldn't be that hard to do.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    SEANMCAD said:
    JeroKane said:

However, E3 appears to be redefiining itself this year being open to the public (maybe that is next year) anyway, changing the rules big time they are

A little too late. They should have done that from the beginning.

Now they have been surpassed by Games Con and PAX events, as these events are loved by the fans, since they are much more accessible.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Whoa! Almost a full month without a runaway SC topic! Huh, maybe the whole E3 decision was simply a ploy to get people to talk about the game again.... ;P

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited May 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Whoa! Almost a full month without a runaway SC topic! Huh, maybe the whole E3 decision was simply a ploy to get people to talk about the game again.... ;P
    See page 1 of the thread (near the bottom of the page) about the theory that @Erillion ; and  @trionwreck ;  are the same person  and just doing it to drive up the site metrics ;-)

Have fun
  • trionwrecktrionwreck Member UncommonPosts: 128
    >>> That sentence made no sense. 650 visitors times ticket price 40 equals 26000 english pounds (about 38.000 $).

Let me remind you again as i did 3 times now. You said:

Erillion said:
    Amount of money hosting the event takes away from Star Citizen development budget:

None. ZERO. Nichts. Nada.

All paid for by ticket prices - paid voluntarily by thousands of interested backers attending the event. Operative word here being  VOLUNTARILY. As is the rest of the crowdfunding campaign. 

Have fun 

THOUSANDS of backers will pay for the event.

Still no source...i am waiting @Erillion ;.

Where is your source that the event is paid in full by thousands of backers?

You made the claim. You need to provide the source. No, your made up credibility that you are an event organizer is not verifiable fact. Nice try though.

Carry on Commandos!
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    If E3 isn't open to the public then they have a million really good reasons not to attend this year.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited May 2016

This is not an epic news development, lol, but by all means keep trying to make it so ! :D 

So is it a waste of time for CIG?

Do they have to fly the team to E3?

You did not answer my questions yet. 

Carry on Commandos!
    Yes, it is a waste of time and money for CIG, unless they're going to do a full presentation.

Yes, they need to fly a full team to E3 if the want to do a quality presentation. That would include preparing various aspects of the presentation beforehand, which takes time and pulls people away from their day jobs. Anyone doing a half-baked presentation at E3 looks like an idiot in front of the world's gaming media.

SC is hardly an unknown indie project at this point. No doubt if they felt they needed a fresh influx of funding, they would have been waving the flag at E3 for all that sweet "exposure and promotion".

Clearly E3 is less important than working on the game development at this point ! :D
    Just checking here again, you are saying:

>>> Yes, it is a waste of time and money for CIG, unless they're going to do a full presentation.

Participating in your sponsors (AMD) event at E3 with free stage time and an opportunity to show an audience of millions of gamers your game is a "waste of time for CIG"?

>>> Yes, they need to fly a full team to E3 if the want to do a quality presentation.

You have to fly a full team to E3 because Chris Roberts promised last year to attend the event this year for an interview on stage and show a teaser, trailer etc?

>>> Clearly E3 is less important than working on the game development at this point ! :D

You are also saying that Chris Roberts going to an interview for one day is going to impact development so dramatically that it just can't be...I can't even....screw this...

Carry on Commandos!
    filmoret said:
    If E3 isn't open to the public then they have a million really good reasons not to attend this year.
    How about the millions of gamers watching the live feeds and the videos after E3? Yeah, clearly a waste of time. Also, it's open to the public this year for some events.

Carry on Commandos!
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    CIG and their  chairman have nothing  to show on E3 !
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    SpottyGekko said:
    [...]
    That would include preparing various aspects of the presentation beforehand, which takes time and pulls people away from their day jobs. Anyone doing a half-baked presentation at E3 looks like an idiot in front of the world's gaming media.
    [...]
    Indeed, and you don't start a month before the event for such kind of presentation.
    More likely they already started to put together a presentation because 3 1/2 weeks ago they wanted to attend.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Erillion said:
    exile01 said:
    Why does a ks funded game need to be on a expensive exhibition like E3? Isnt E3 the most expensive exhibition out there? 
    No it is not because it is sponsored by companies like AMD, Intel and NVIDIA. **snip**
    You DO know the difference between E3 sponsors (that sponsor the ORGANIZERS, NOT the participants) and sponsors for individual participants, do you not ?

Have fun
    And your point is? You DO know the difference between E3 and participants, don't you?

Carry on Commando
    His point is that you have no source for your claims that CIG attendance is sponsored.

In case you forgot, SpottyGekko pointed out that many developers don't feel ROI is sufficient for attendance.

Your response was:

E3 is sponsored just like Intel sponsors CIG attendance at gamescon.

Why would you respond with that, if this was about the event itself - and not the cost of CIG attendance?
    Let me spell it out for you, son, since you are having trouble to comprehend what the AMD PC Gaming show is.

It is an event by AMD with journalists of PCGamer to present AMD sponsored games/developers.

AMD is the organizer of this PC Gaming show. AMD invites people they sponsor to be on stage for an interview and presentations with staff from PCGamer magazine. The same AMD that sponsors CIG since the start. The same AMD that has a skin for a spaceship in the game.

Let me give you an example: If someone get's invited to a late night talk show to present his product (and let's be honest that is all they do). Does he have to pay or will he get sponsored by the show?

Is that clear enough for you?

I'm afraid it's not enough.

What's your source for AMD sponsoring CIG attendance - and not simply the event itself?

What are the costs you think CIG has to attend this show that AMD is hosting at E3? They are guests at the AMD event. What exactly do you think they would have to pay?

They don't have a booth. They don't have to pay for a stage. They have NO COST to attend other than to get to E3 and like i said, they have an office a few blocks from E3.

Carry on Commandos!
    Ehm, you mean other than paying a bunch of developers for X amount of time to do nothing productive on a game? You think that comes at no cost for CIG? They're not working for free, you know.

How about travel expenses for the developers who're not "around the block" - and who might be essential for demo purposes?

Who pays for food and drink?

Once again, not all developers think the ROI is sufficient to warrant these expenses, which is why I'm asking who's sponsoring the attendance, since you claimed they were being sponsored.
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:

Ehm, you mean other than paying a bunch of developers for X amount of time to do nothing productive on a game? You think that comes at no cost for CIG? They're not working for free, you know.

How about travel expenses for the developers who're not "around the block" - and who might be essential for demo purposes?

Once again, not all developers think the ROI is sufficient to warrant these expenses, which is why I'm asking who's sponsoring the attendance, since you claimed they were being sponsored.
    Hahaha, they cancelled less than 3 weeks ago. That development time for the supposed demo or trailer is already wasted. Think before you post, son.

Only Chris Roberts was going to attend. He promised that last year.

Carry on Commandos!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

...Chris Roberts promised last year to attend the event this year for an interview on stage and show a teaser, trailer etc?

>>> Clearly E3 is less important than working on the game development at this point ! :D

You are also saying that Chris Roberts going to an interview for one day is going to impact development so dramatically that it just can't be...I can't even....screw this...

Are you thinking before you type this? (cough)

CR doesn't just grab his toothbrush and hop on a plane for a quick trip to E3, lol

A demo, trailer, etc. takes weeks of preparations and planning. Ask anyone who's actually done of those in front of a large audience.

I can just see it now: "All Chris Roberts had to show at E3 was another trailer ! OMG, the game is vapourware ! Rabble, rabble..." :D 
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    filmoret said:
    yep, they could present their new ships :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

DKLond said:

Hahaha, they cancelled less than 3 weeks ago. That development time for the supposed demo or trailer is already wasted. Think before you post, son.

If they're going to show the demo in a more complete state at a later event, then please explain how that time has been wasted.

Source for the claim that no other CIG people would attend?

If you're going to call random people "son", at least have the capacity to represent an authority - instead of just embarrasing yourself over and over.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    JeroKane said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    JeroKane said:

A little too late. They should have done that from the beginning.

Now they have been surpassed by Games Con and PAX events, as these events are loved by the fans, since they are much more accessible.

could be true. It is a reason why currently developers are not that intrested at least non-'First Party Developers'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited May 2016
    >>> 650 visitors times ticket price 40 equals 26000 english pounds (about 38.000 $).

Let me remind you again as i did 3 times now.
    You can remind me another 20 times if you want and if it makes you happy.

I told you where to get a quote from the CIG event Manchester Venue for a 750 person event (=max. capacity). Feel free to write them if you want an exact number.

That quote will be verifyable FACT.

From my personal experience 38 k$  is more than enough to pay for such a venue.

THAT is an OPINION. An educated guestimate.
    Therefore no source given or needed.

You can always compare my guestimate with the quote you get from the Manchester venue and prove me wrong. Feel free to search for other venue prices online and compare it.

Anyway .... back to the thread topic .... Chris Roberts will not be at E3 ...  but WILL be at GamesCom a short while later, with a showfloor booth, a dedicated team of SC devs and something interesting and new to show. 

Personally i am happy about the decision that CIG concentrates on more game development and then a nice, thoroughly prepared GamesCom show.

Have fun
    edited May 2016
    Erillion said:
    >>> 650 visitors times ticket price 40 equals 26000 english pounds (about 38.000 $).

I told you where to get a quote from the CIG event Manchester Venue for a 750 person event (=max. capacity). Feel free to write them if you want an exact number.

You can always compare my guestimate with the quote you get from the Manchester venue and prove me wrong. Feel free to search for other venue prices online and compare it.

Anyway .... back to the thread topic .... Chris Roberts will not be at E3 ...  but WILL be at GamesCom a short while later, with a showfloor booth, a dedicated team of SC devs and something interesting and new to show. 

Personally i am happy about the decision that CIG concentrates on more game development and then a nice, thoroughly prepared GamesCom show.

Have fun
    Yeah so no source or facts. Thank you for confirming.

You still owe everyone a source for your thousands of backers paying for the event.

Erillion said:
    Amount of money hosting the event takes away from Star Citizen development budget:

All paid for by ticket prices - paid voluntarily by thousands of interested backers attending the event. Operative word here being  VOLUNTARILY. As is the rest of the crowdfunding campaign. 

Have fun 

SOURCE?

Look @Erillion i get it, you made up some fantasy numbers and claimed thousands of backers pay for an event you have no idea how much it costs and now you desperately try to back pedal and get out of that hole. You even went so far as to make up the fact you organize huge events and are an expert on it. It's really getting embarrassing for you.

It's fine to sometimes just admit you made shit up to look important.

Carry on Commandos!
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Yeah so no source or facts. Thank you for confirming.

You still owe everyone a source for your thousands of backers paying for the event.

Erillion said:

Have fun 

SOURCE?
    Why would he owe anyone because you're unwilling to be reasonable?

I'm afraid that's not how it works my boy.
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

If they're going to show the demo in a more complete state at a later event, then please explain how that time has been wasted.

If you're going to call random people "son", at least have the capacity to represent an authority - instead of just embarrasing yourself over and over.
    Source for them showing the demo in a more complete state at a later event?

Read the article i posted. It is the source, son.

The only one embarrassing himself is the one that can not even spell it and claims E3 is a waste of time for CIG.

Carry on Commandos!
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:

Source for them showing the demo in a more complete state at a later event?

Read the article i posted. It is the source, son.

The only one embarrassing himself is the one that can not even spell it and claims E3 is a waste of time for CIG.

Carry on Commandos!
    Oh, now it's a spelling contest?

You're getting more mature by the minute, aren't you :)

By the way, you need to capitalize "I" when referring to yourself. Just saying ;)
This discussion has been closed.