Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTX 1070 already reviewed

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Looks really good.  I'll be looking to upgrade and it seems, from this review at least, that the 1070 would be a better choice than the 980.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited May 2016
    Something is amiss there.  The card has 80% of the memory bandwidth of a GTX 1080 and about 72% of the computational power.  Yet it gets more than 80% of the performance of a GTX 1080 in all but one of their benchmarks, and sometimes nearly 90%.  That shouldn't happen unless the bottleneck is elsewhere--such as a CPU bottleneck.

It's possible that the bottleneck is some fixed-function graphical hardware to some degree, which would explain the results if the GTX 1070 is created by disabling parts of several GPCs while still keeping all GPCs active.  But I'd bet on Nvidia disabling a GPC outright in at least some GTX 1070s, if not all of them.  If they do so in some but not all, then you could get substantially different performance in different GTX 1070s, which would really be two different cards entirely--and they'd surely send only the higher performing ones with all GPCs active for reviews.  A CPU bottleneck is the more likely explanation, though.

The real comparison, which we don't have yet, is to the top Polaris 10 card.  It's likely that the GTX 1070 will be both faster and more expensive than Polaris 10, but by how much on both counts is a huge matter.  Paying 10% more for 50% more performance is a much better value than paying 50% more for 10% more performance.

We'll see when they're actually available.  The nominal launch date is June 10, but that could be anywhere from a very thin soft launch (like the GTX 1080) to an actual hard launch.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    There are some sites I dont trust on reviews. Gamespot is one of them.

1080GTX appears to not be as a big deal as PR is making it out to be

The GTX 1080 will eventually be a much bigger deal than it is today.  Give it a year or so and it will be widely available for under $500, while all of the 28 nm cards outside of the low end will be discontinued.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited May 2016
    On one of the earlier slides of 1070, it showed the opposite from the slides on guru3d and techpowerup slides

Instead of this there (1 whole GPC disabled) it showed 1 cluster per GPC disabled, and another cluster in the bottom right GPC disabled to make up for the 5.

The explanation was if i recall correctly that this way all a repeat of 3.5GB+0.5GB impossible (which was wierd to me because i was under the impression that it only mattered that ROPs weren't cut for that)

I found the other cores diagram :
    Post edited by 13lake on
    edited May 2016
    If i'm understanding this correctly would a 1070 with a first picture configuration be gimped compared to a 1070 with the second picture configuration ?

And that this would be what you mentioned Quizzical, with Nvidia sneakily sending the non-gimped version for testing and for instance the first founder's edition batch, and then after the reviews are over, sending out the second batch to unknowingly destroy performance ?

And how does this correlate to the ROP count ?

If the ROP could would hypothetically be the same in both versions, would the gimp only be slight then ?
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    SEANMCAD said:
    I agree with this. Currently GTX 1080 is just NVidia's way of getting large price premium from the fastest graphic card available.

I think GTX 1070 might be the big deal here. If NVidia can just launch and manufacture the non-founders editions it'll be really good performance at decent price.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I agree with this. Currently GTX 1080 is just NVidia's way of getting large price premium from the fastest graphic card available.

I think GTX 1070 might be the big deal here. If NVidia can just launch and manufacture the non-founders editions it'll be really good performance at decent price.
    I think that prices for this generation will become more attractive faster than usual. I say this because both Sony and Microsoft have annouced a 4K console. They are either trolling us and its not 4K gaming but 4K video only or there is another manufacturing shift about to take place we are not aware of

13lake said:
    If i'm understanding this correctly would a 1070 with a first picture configuration be gimped compared to a 1070 with the second picture configuration ?

And that this would be what you mentioned Quizzical, with Nvidia sneakily sending the non-gimped version for testing and for instance the first founder's edition batch, and then after the reviews are over, sending out the second batch to unknowingly destroy performance ?

And how does this correlate to the ROP count ?

If the ROP could would hypothetically be the same in both versions, would the gimp only be slight then ?
    This is about raster engines, not ROPs.

The second version of a GTX 1070 would be a better card than the first version.  I'm not sure how much better, but for Nvidia to freely mix the two and not tell you what you're getting is definitely not kosher.  That would be worse than the 3.5 GB fiasco with the GTX 970, in which all cards were the same and the launch reviews were representative of what you actually got.

I don't know if Nvidia will do that, though.  If only one version exists, that's fine, of course.  If both exist but are labeled differently (e.g., the 768 MB and 1 GB versions of the GTX 460), it's fine.  I'd even be okay with it if both cards exist, but the worse one gets sent out for reviews--but of course, Nvidia would never do that.  But sending out a ringer for reviews that isn't representative of what gets stuffed into retail boxes is definitely not okay.

So why do I suspect that Nvidia might do exactly that?  The reason for the GTX 1070 is so that you can still sell chips that are partially defective.  Nvidia and AMD have both done this for many years, and there's nothing wrong with it.

But chips can be defective in different ways.  Suppose that a raster engine is defective.  In that case, if the other three GPCs work, you can disable the one with the broken raster engine and you get the first graph.  Suppose instead that two compute units from different GPCs are defective, but everything else works.  In that case, you can disable five compute units, including the two defective ones, and you get the second graph.

Both of those are going to happen in the real world, though I have no idea how common they will be.  But Nvidia surely wants to sell both types of parts.  If they have a further salvage part (say, a GTX 1065) that claims, say, 13 compute units, 3 GPCs, and a 192-bit memory bus, most GP104 chips will be able to meet those requirements, so they can sell anything that doesn't fit the second graph as a GTX 1065.  And Nvidia might do exactly that; that's basically what they did with the GeForce GTX 465, for example, which was completely above board.

The GTX 970 couldn't do this.  It had 13 compute units enabled, while disabling an entire GPC would leave only 12.  Of course, GM104 was on a much more mature process node, so it probably had much better yields than GP104 does so far.  Disabling 1/4 of your compute units for your top salvage part is an awful lot, but it's what you have to do if you're going to disable an entire GPC and you only have four of them.

Hopefully someone in the tech media will ask Nvidia directly.  This does matter, after all.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Vrika said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I think that prices for this generation will become more attractive faster than usual. I say this because both Sony and Microsoft have annouced a 4K console. They are either trolling us and its not 4K gaming but 4K video only or there is another manufacturing shift about to take place we are not aware of
    The rumored release date of the next Xbox (late 2017) would pretty neatly fit an APU with some Zen cores, roughly a Polaris 10 worth of GPU, and two stacks of HBM2.  That would be a nifty part, but the rumored PS4.5 is rumored to launch much sooner than HBM2 usage will be practical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited May 2016
    Ive alrerady posted this in another topic, but i like this reviewer as he tested wide variety of games (22 games tested) opposed to everyone else who just test few "standard" games and he also tests games that are rarely tested (so he obvioulsy doesnt stick to the "benchmark guidelines"):

http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review-22-games-tested-at-1080p-1440p/

he also has OC testing:

http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/geforce-gtx-1070-overclocking/

Post edited by Malabooga on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Malabooga said:
    Ive alrerady posted this in another topic, but i like this reviewer as he tested wide variety of games (22 games tested) opposed to everyone else who just test few "standard" games and he also tests games that are rarely tested (so he obvioulsy doesnt stick to the "benchmark guidelines"):

http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review-22-games-tested-at-1080p-1440p/

he has also OC testing:

http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/geforce-gtx-1070-overclocking/

Agreed. Your post showed the card being put through a battery of testing unlike any other site. Gives a wide range of detail in how the card performs under a variety of situations. 
    Not that huge of a difference between 1070 and 980ti.

edited May 2016
    An overclocked 980 Ti strix for example destroys overclocked 1070 in every game and test except arma 3 in that hardwareunboxed video (don't remember which exact 980 Ti was overclocked, but used strix as an example)

The 1070 and 1080 have vastly less overclocking room because of two reasons :
    1. New immature node 
    2. More aggressive and higher base clock set boost 3.0

It's basically as if u would take a 20% overclocked 980 Ti from a board partner and make it into the founder's edition, just without adding better cooling, or proper power delievery.

It's absolutely an ingenious move to make your semi-paper tiger even more fierce :)