Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets Fix Grinding System

2»

Comments

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Eluwien said:
    Yes it serves the purpose of giving you a time-sink so you can spend more time in-game to avoid the tedious problems of your real life. And as such I understand why some people love grind.

However, it's the least entertaining and immersive mechanism in MMORPGs.
    I hate the activity of grinding myself and I usually look for ways to avoid it.. but what is most important about playing MMORPGs is a big healthy population... unfortunately people need these danging carrots to chase. I don't really understand it myself but I am glad that they join the game so we can compete hopefully.

I've played dozens of MMORPGs and must admit that grind is necessary to keep the majority of the population playing. They quit otherwise. I usually like to play games when they launch and its always the same seeing people play until they run out of grind and then quit..... I hate it too because I don't want to grind to compete so I look for ways around this, which is why I like to catch each launch. Sometimes the PVP is worth it to keep playing, other times its not...
    iixviiiix said:
    What's wrong with the current system?
    Too much level gated contents that require to grind to unlock .

What OP called grind , i call it hunt . Basically , hunt the monster for the worth of itself (material) instead to get reward from other (quests).

When you look at the hunt , it relate to worth of mob and the hard of the puzzle how to win again the mob .

What reward when you hunt the "stronger than you" mob ? can you use the reward come from the mob that you kill ?

Location of the mob and the combination of the mobs .

That's just the concept of singeplayer game . When put it in MMO , you need to add the multiplayer part and natural of massive multiplayer .
    Something like , what point for 40 men to kill an monster ?

If you dig deeper , many problem pop up . Most developer don't dig that deep , they chose easy way .
    Uhhh maybe your English is bad or I am just clueless to what you mean so I'll just ask..

Why are you playing MMORPG? Can you give an example of a game you are talking about?

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

iixviiiix said:
    What's wrong with the current system?
    Too much level gated contents that require to grind to unlock .

What OP called grind , i call it hunt . Basically , hunt the monster for the worth of itself (material) instead to get reward from other (quests).

When you look at the hunt , it relate to worth of mob and the hard of the puzzle how to win again the mob .

What reward when you hunt the "stronger than you" mob ? can you use the reward come from the mob that you kill ?

Location of the mob and the combination of the mobs .

That's just the concept of singeplayer game . When put it in MMO , you need to add the multiplayer part and natural of massive multiplayer .
    Something like , what point for 40 men to kill an monster ?

If you dig deeper , many problem pop up . Most developer don't dig that deep , they chose easy way .
    Uhhh maybe your English is bad or I am just clueless to what you mean so I'll just ask..

Why are you playing MMORPG? Can you give an example of a game you are talking about?
    Call it Engrish haha .

Start with some old game like ragnarok online or priston tale . Now i just an MMO hopper .
    Those game wasn't perfect so i have a hobby to think about how to make those games better . Though i never have change to step in game industry .

Why i playing MMORPG ?
    many reason i keep search for MMORPG , mostly drama between people and the interest in human social in virtual world .
    Player more open their heart in online multiplayer game social .

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Mendel said:
     No one has innovated, because prior efforts chose not too.  
    Blizz did. They went out of their comfort zone, scrapped a classical mmorpg, and made a sci-fi online team shooter. 
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2016
    Mendel said:
     No one has innovated, because prior efforts chose not too.  
    Blizz did. They went out of their comfort zone, scrapped a classical mmorpg, and made a sci-fi online team shooter. 
    LMAO. If developers take seriously all whinning here, they just will do like Blizzard did to TITAN and reduce an MMO to what these people really want: no grind, join balanced and competitive pvp intantly.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Grinding has taken on a negative connotation today, and its not because there is anything inherently wrong with doing something more than once in a video game. The process should be fun, and offer enough variation to keep the process enjoyable.

Its sad that good grind that used to exist is now so abominable because people demand instant gratification.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Gdemami said:
    waynejr2 said:
    The removal of having to put in effort has hurt this industry
    Speak for yourself, you are not an "industry".

I did. I am speaking my opinion on the industry.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    iixviiiix said:
    Slay 1 mob that have same/greater level as player = 1 level? (the most easy)

or 2? 3? 10? 

Lets say 10 same/greater level mobs as player = 1 level

1 mini boss monster = 5 mobs?

1 world boss monster = 10 mobs/ 1 full level?

How u get exp in group? at least 1 hit the monsters till it die to get full exp?

Did u still get exp againts lower level mobs? If yes how much?
    How about the root of problem , "why have to grind ?"

Depends on what you mean by the root and grind.  Grind could be called repetition.  Repetition begins at 3.  So, your third combat in a game is the start of repetition and therefore grind.  But who would  complain about having to grind a third combat?  Not many.

If you are talking about content.  Well, it takes longer to make hand crafted content than it does to play it.  Some mmorpg players think it is trivial or that they should have endless content and the devs are just lazy.  Look at how many man hours are put into creating a movie.  Similar.

Now someone will open their pie holes about player created content or some type of automated system of content generation like procedural content generation.  Player created content is fine but is easily exploited so you need to allow it but don't give any rewards (xp, money, drops) for it. Do it for the fun of it.

PCG has been around for a long time in the lab.  I prefer hand crafted work to PCG however, that doesn't mean there isn't some kind of game for which is wouldn't be good enough.  Plus the more free to play throwaway games we have could allow devs to slip in a shoddy PCG.  Why not?  The game is a throwaway game.

The PCG will get better.  As long a companies don't hold advances back with IP claims, in the long run, it could be the solution to content generation costs.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

It is impossible to create a MMO with a infinite set of different things to do that you don't have to repeat anything ever again. No budget would fit in such ridiculous dream.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kabulozo said:
    It is impossible to create a MMO with a infinite set of different things to do that you don't have to repeat anything ever again. No budget would fit in such ridiculous dream.
    Why need an infinite set of different things to do?

Just have a finite set ... let players do them, and then move on. It is not like you have to run a game forever to make money. 
    edited June 2016
    Kabulozo said:
    Why need an infinite set of different things to do?

Just have a finite set ... let players do them, and then move on. It is not like you have to run a game forever to make money. 
    Wildstar is a perfect example of a high cost AAA MMO that couldnt retain players: massive lay offs and now it is closer to death than ever.

That's why it is getting harder at least in the west to mantain AAA MMOs, players stay some time and move on. With this, western MMO development now means indie studios.
    edited June 2016
    Even Blizzard abandoned the ship and turned what would be the next big thing in western MMO development into a multiplayer shooter.

Asian players tend to be more stable and stay in a game for years, that is why right now there are more AAA MMOs being developed in Asia while in west MMO became a crowdfunded indie market.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    iixviiiix said:

Why i playing MMORPG ?
    many reason i keep search for MMORPG , mostly drama between people and the interest in human social in virtual world .
    Player more open their heart in online multiplayer game social .

Same reason that I play.... so population is what I am looking for most of the time but also playing the launches of games so that I can have an opportunity to be ahead of other people without grinding... if the game is fun, I keep going and try to stay ahead of other people competitively, but I am only like this when a game launches, not when I join midway because I do not feel the pressure that I do from wanting to be ahead of other people.

Without grind, I would have played much less... even though I do not like to grind and look for ways around it.

Being ahead of other people is one of the best carrots to dangle in front of me because I like PVP mostly but its unlikely that I will be willing to grind to an endgame to experience it... no I need to be guaranteed that the grind is worth it.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Dullahan said:
    Grinding has taken on a negative connotation today, and its not because there is anything inherently wrong with doing something more than once in a video game. The process should be fun, and offer enough variation to keep the process enjoyable.

Its sad that good grind that used to exist is now so abominable because people demand instant gratification.
    Grind has always had negative connotations - there is no such thing as good grind. 

Repeating =/= grind. 

Something only becomes a grind when it stops being fun. For example, I enjoy raiding and I enjoy pvp, so despite the repetitiveness, it is not a grind for me. However, I hate questing, so questing for me is a grind, even though minimal repetition of actual content.