Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat defines the MMORPG

ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
But should it? I am wondering if an MMORPG has to have absolutely spellbinding combat. WTF is spell binding combat? Is combat really role-playing? Isn't MMORPG combat really pretty boring anyway? 

MMORPGs seem to be largely built on the Kill and Collect model. 

Is the combat mechanic the thing which must define a game the most? Maybe it is, but I wondered what the thinkers here have to say about it. In an MMORPG you will typically engage in tens of thousands of fights until it becomes an almost rote task. Could an MMORPG work with a very simple, low importance, or summarized combat system?

If not simple, then what about combat that is very serious, and cannot be entered into lightly, but that represents a small investment of game time overall?

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

Comments

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    You can always play Second Life...

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Grinnz said:

That's a good point, and I guess it was supposed to be a virtual world without combat (never played it). Outside of mundane virtual world simulator, what could you do with say a fantasy MMORPG that lacked traditional or action combat? 

What other kinds of combat could exist?
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited May 2016
    Combat does define mmorpgs, and no it should not, imo. Not if we ever want an mmorpg that offers a virtual world where all player types can find a place and play a role. As Wolfshead said, we're all nothing more than mercenarys now in mmorpgs, when the original idea behind MUDs and online worlds was to provide a way for people to play as they please.

My ideal mmorpg would host many forms of gameplay like a fantasy second life and as much to accomplish in non-combat endeavors as adventurers would gain from combat.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Grinnz said:

Or a tale in the desert, the only combat they have is a single test which is one out of many.  most of the game is crafting.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited May 2016
    MMORPG  <--Without the game aspect, it just becomes a virtual world such as Second Life or IMVU (although they do have mini-games within them).

Combat doesn't necessarily define a game, but it's the main driving force behind a lot of them, because it creates conflict, which is good for storytelling and retaining interest.

I would say, persistence & progression, define the genre, not solely combat.
  • GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Assuming the themes for these games originated from things like D&D with adventuring and whatnot, it's no surprise that combat and murder is the main focus. But I agree, it's a shame.

I'd love a game where combat is just one element of the gameplay, where you could essentially progress through the whole game without ever raising a weapon. I'd love for deception and redirection without having to kill, to be a viable play style. I'd love for exploration, crafting and trading to be a viable play style, just as much as strapping on some armour and going on a killing spree.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    edited May 2016
    Dullahan said:
    Combat does define mmorpgs, and no it should not, imo. Not if we ever want an mmorpg that offers a virtual world where all player types can find a place and play a role. As Wolfshead said, we're all nothing more than mercenarys now in mmorpgs, when the original idea behind MUDs and online worlds was to provide a way for people to play as they please.

My ideal mmorpg would host many forms of gameplay like a fantasy second life and as much to accomplish in non-combat endeavors as adventurers would gain from combat.
    bro i google what is MUD and it is awesome!!

its basically a text based mmorpg

what is the best mud medieval fantasy theme?
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    DMKano said:
    The root of the problem is the core design:

Infinitely respawning piñata mobs - which leads to every player essentially being a mass murderer at best, and over time a genocidal maniac. 

This is what vast majority of the mmo games have done so far - infinite respawn with infinite killing - it's the design model that the game industry has settled in because it's known and easy to do. 

If a MMO was built around a finite resource model (very hard to pull off) - akin to virtual living/breathing world - it would be an entirely different experience, because indiscriminate mass killing wouldn't even exist as a mechanic in such a game at all.

Seasonal hunting with limits (as in RL depending on season and type of animal) would be in, but it would all be controlled as all sustainable ecological systems are.

There would be a balanced cycle of life/death with all things including players and NPCs.

I would like to see an MMO with finite resources with realistic consequences, like the Easter Islanders chopping down the last of their trees and succumbing to starvation and disease. 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Wow great thoughts, and I didn't realize how the infinite mobs and murder machine were such a big part of it.

I don't think I would like to play a game with no combat, but I think the Hamster wheel of Killing can get a bit stale. 

Someone mentioned D&D, and too often simplistic D&D games are really just about rolling dice against enemies. More sophisticated games use combat as a potent spice rather than a universal ingredient. 

An Ecosystem would go along way toward a different type of game. Right now you literally have to Kill to Move across the landscape, and the path behind you will fill in with new mobs like water with no end or respite.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    On the surface it may seem that the combat systems define a mmorpg. But it is actually the design behind the combat systems that forms how a game really is. What are the reasons to do combat?
    When the reasons for combat becomes combat for combats sake, then it is mindless slaughter; but given interesting reasons from the game design, it suddenly transforms the combat.

Many a mmorpg have neglected good reasons and background for why you do combat and ended up being too much function and very little form. As an example, to only do combat to level up to max is a weak reason and because of that the combat will define the game.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Rhoklaw said:
    Dullahan said:

bro i google what is MUD and it is awesome!!

its basically a text based mmorpg

what is the best mud medieval fantasy theme?
    In my opinion, I think Gemstone IV is probably one of the best MuDs out there, but believe it or not, you pay a hefty monthly fee just to get 1 character slot. Funny thing is, I've actually played Gemstone IV off and on during my MMORPG days simply because the lack of expectations. However, there is a very deep player dependency in Gemstone IV, such as getting buffs or if you aren't a Rogue, getting your treasure boxes disarmed if trapped and locks picked.
    gg bro. great character creation. im playing it now
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Combat is usually a part in role-playing games (online or tabletop) but it isn't roleplaying in itself.

And it might be that MMOs have too much combat in percentage of the content, it certainly have far more then almost any P&P campaign have.

In P&P you have intrigues, puzzle solving, romance, resource managment, strategy (in some campaigns players might be officers leading an army or ruling a kingdom) and a lot more.

The problem is that many of thses features are hard work to get into MMOs, or just get pointless due to wikis.

We played some Forgotten realms this saturday, the rogue got killed in a reverse gravity trap and the rest of the party got beaten up (2 of them bathed in my acid trap, and even when they figured out how the gravity trap worked they alos got falling damage on the other side of the reverse gravity field). It was a puzzle trap dungeon, not much based on rolls but the players had to figure out how to bypass the traps and solve the puzzels. If they just could have gone online and checked how to do things it wouldn't have been fun for anyone.

Unless you either could figure out a way for a AI to make random traps or design a few thousands that can show up in any dungeon it wont really work in a MMO, and the replay value of a static trap puzzle dungeon is pretty much zero even without any wikis.

Certain features would work in a well made sandbox game but wont work in themeparks, others are hard but possible to make and some don't just work at all.

The devs tend to play safe and combat content is the easiest to make of all content. One could wonder why they can't make the combat in itself more fun though considering how much of the games are based on it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Dullahan said:
    I'd love a game where combat is just one element of the gameplay, where you could essentially progress through the whole game without ever raising a weapon. I'd love for deception and redirection without having to kill, to be a viable play style. I'd love for exploration, crafting and trading to be a viable play style, just as much as strapping on some armour and going on a killing spree.
    It has been done.  It is called Uncharted Waters Online.  It's one of the weirdest MMORPGs there is, and it has a very long learning curve, in part because it completely disregards most MMORPG conventions.  But it's also really good.  Try it.
    Archlyte said:
    An Ecosystem would go along way toward a different type of game. Right now you literally have to Kill to Move across the landscape, and the path behind you will fill in with new mobs like water with no end or respite.
    Sounds like you want Wakfu.
    Quizzical said:
    Dullahan said:
    It has been done.  It is called Uncharted Waters Online.  It's one of the weirdest MMORPGs there is, and it has a very long learning curve, in part because it completely disregards most MMORPG conventions.  But it's also really good.  Try it.
    I've been suggested to try Uncharted Waters Online before. Had a look at it and can't really say it appeals to me. I'm sure the gameplay is plenty good, but the theme and anime aesthetics unfortunately turns me off enormously.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "If not simple, then what about combat that is very serious, and cannot be entered into lightly, but that represents a small investment of game time overall?"

I think that would be really cool, but then what are people going to be doing besides combat?

People expect a lot of playtime out of their MMOs.  People play MMOs for 8-12 hours a day for months and still complain there isn't enough content and quit.

Combat is an easy out, but it works.  It keeps the player engaged (I prefer action-combat because it keeps you slightly more engaged).

If you're going to minimize combat, than what could you put in that would keep the player at least as engaged while they're playing the game for say 8 hours a day?
    Quizzical said:
    Dullahan said:
    I've been suggested to try Uncharted Waters Online before. Had a look at it and can't really say it appeals to me. I'm sure the gameplay is plenty good, but the theme and anime aesthetics unfortunately turns me off enormously.
    I have no idea where you got that UWO was anime.  It sure doesn't look anime to me.  It originally launched in 2004, so it doesn't have the latest and greatest graphics.  But you're rarely to never going to get deep gameplay with the latest and greatest graphics, simply because those two things really conflict with each other.

If you dislike the historical setting (loosely 16th century, though they take considerable liberties with the timeline), then so be it.  But if you choose your MMORPGs primarily on the basis of graphics and setting, don't be upset if you spend the rest of your life playing mediocre WoW-clones.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Archlyte said:
    But should it? I am wondering if an MMORPG has to have absolutely spellbinding combat. WTF is spell binding combat? Is combat really role-playing? Isn't MMORPG combat really pretty boring anyway? 

CRPGs are primarily combat games, not just MMORPGs.

Whether it is "really" RPing is irrelevant. CRPGs are different from tabletop RPG, and it is silly to think that they should, or can be the same. 
    "If not simple, then what about combat that is very serious, and cannot be entered into lightly, but that represents a small investment of game time overall?"

I think that would be really cool, but then what are people going to be doing besides combat?

People expect a lot of playtime out of their MMOs.  People play MMOs for 8-12 hours a day for months and still complain there isn't enough content and quit.

Combat is an easy out, but it works.  It keeps the player engaged (I prefer action-combat because it keeps you slightly more engaged).

If you're going to minimize combat, than what could you put in that would keep the player at least as engaged while they're playing the game for say 8 hours a day?
    If you're playing MMOs for 12 hours per day for months on end, how do you eat?  Don't you need a job, or to go to class, or something?  And don't you need to sleep sometimes?  Playing computer games for 12 hours per day for months is pretty strongly correlated with serious life problems, and not something that games ought to cater to.  Thankfully, it's not something that very many people do.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Dullahan said:

I'd use SWG as an example of this over something like second life, which is nothing but a virtual store front in this day and age...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    MMORPG do have viable options to do other things than just combat. Combat should be part of a good MMORPG but non combative roles should be there.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2016
    Quizzical said:

If you're playing MMOs for 12 hours per day for months on end, how do you eat?  Don't you need a job, or to go to class, or something?  And don't you need to sleep sometimes?  Playing computer games for 12 hours per day for months is pretty strongly correlated with serious life problems, and not something that games ought to cater to.  Thankfully, it's not something that very many people do.
    So, what, you're saying that people don't/shouldn't expect a lot of gaming hours out of their MMOs?

If you're (ridiculously) suggesting that MMOs should provide the same amount of hours as single player games, then yeah, this isn't an issue.

Kind of hard to get recurring payments/subscriptions out of people that are done with a game in 20-60 hours though.

I'm not saying 12 hours/day is the norm.  Reading comprehension pls.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    You can play EVE for 13 years and never fire a gun.  I have a friend who runs an industrial empire and all he does anymore is build Carriers, Dreadnoughts,Force Auxiliary ships, Super Carriers and Titans.

He uses the profits to make even more money on market speculation.

The best games have options for many different types of players.  The worst games force you to go on genocidal rampages across the landscape, murdering hundreds of thousands of naked mole rats so you can turn their spleens in at a static quest marker.
    edited May 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    Dullahan said:
    I have no idea where you got that UWO was anime.  It sure doesn't look anime to me.  It originally launched in 2004, so it doesn't have the latest and greatest graphics.  But you're rarely to never going to get deep gameplay with the latest and greatest graphics, simply because those two things really conflict with each other.

If you dislike the historical setting (loosely 16th century, though they take considerable liberties with the timeline), then so be it.  But if you choose your MMORPGs primarily on the basis of graphics and setting, don't be upset if you spend the rest of your life playing mediocre WoW-clones.
    By "anime" I mean the Final Fantasy'esque distinctly japanese artstyle apparent throughout various screenshots and videos. Prettified featurelss faces safe for their giant twinkling eyes, children galore and perfect hair. Case in point:

I realize how silly it is to pick and choose based on artstyle and setting and I hate myself for it.
    edited May 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    Dullahan said:

By "anime" I mean the Final Fantasy'esque distinctly japanese artstyle apparent throughout various screenshots and videos. Prettified featurelss faces safe for their giant twinkling eyes, children galore and perfect hair. Case in point:

I realize how silly it is to pick and choose based on artstyle and setting and I hate myself for it.
    That's probably not even an actual game screenshot; at minimum, it would be pretty tricky to recreate in-game even if you were trying to.  It's probably a render for marketing purposes that used actual game art assets.  In real gameplay, you're zoomed in far enough to make out facial features sometime around never.  You're basically a ship much of the time, though whether this "much of the time" is 10% or 90% (or anywhere in between, of course) depends a lot on what you like to do in the game.