Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

None, not even one mmo.

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited May 2016
    Krimzin said:

Wildstar is a great example of bad.  Maybe not bad in some eyes but OBNOXIOUSS.  Wildstar failed, everyone knows that, so why is that such a great example you may ask ?.......Because it's a bloated example EVERY OTHER MMO.  

Wildstar failed because people are bad. The game itself was great, but it was to hard for the throngs of WoW players who cant move and attack. The game was going great until raiding began. Once people hit raiding and couldnt down the content with little to no effort like WoW, they quit. It was simply to hard for them.

The Game had a lot of things going for it.

Solid variety of classes.
    No Tab targeting.
    Holy Trinity 
    Solid questing.
    Good trade skills
    Good Secondary Jobs.
    Adult humor.
    Graphics were good, but characters a little to cartoony IMO
    Large World to explore

and many more.

The only true negative was that the game was Hard
    Wildstar had some other serious negatives.

1)  Game was basically deserted.  If you can log on, play for an hour in public areas while moving around a lot, and never see another player in that time, something has gone horribly awry.  It was really a problem of a botched server architecture.

2)  Really wonky controls.  Who decided that a given key should sometimes make you strafe and sometimes turn, depending on how long it has been since you last attacked?  A game where you're fighting more against terrible controls than against the mobs that are nominally your opponents has serious problems.

3)  Far too many bugs, some of which could completely block main quest line progress and go unfixed for long periods of time.  And who decided that it was a good idea to have quests where, the only way to acquire it is to stand in some particular spot and type a completely undocumented console command in the chat?

4)  A lot of dependence on other players happening to be around, and not just for group content.  In some games, this wouldn't really be a problem, but see (1).

And all of that for a game that, even if they fixed the glaring issues, would only be decent and hardly great?  This was months after launch, not playing in some alpha testing.  I have no interest in giving the game another chance, even if they have fixed some of the problems.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    For me it's like:
    Rift? Yeah, I could play it again. But the quests are so boring and you have no choice what to do, it's all on rails and the same over and over.

Tera? It was fun for a while. Then I made a break. Then I played it again, and my character was in a zone that has been abandoned in the meantime: all quests removed and whatnot. I was too annoyed to try to find my way or restart from scratch.

GW2? My inventory is clogged up with tons of stuff. I don't just want to sell it since I might need it, but neither do I want to invest a couple of hours sorting it to see what I really need. I also can't play it without inventory space. So I don't.

FE? The game has aged and so the graphics are bad. At least the questing is ok.

Wildstar? When I first read about it, I thought that it's not for me, since it's so cute and colorful, and I disliked that you could never have actually different weapon types. It also had no free trial at first. Once it was actually for free, everything was super laggy. And now I lost any motivation to try.

WoW? It also has aged considerably. I could log in and try some dungeons that have been patched in since I played it the last time...

But in the end, I rather switch between DOTA2, Civ5, Hearthstone and random other games. 

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    scorpex-x said:
    There is nothing wrong the MMO market, you're just jaded and grumpy.

Go play some other genre, the constant whining from people like you is annoying to read.

Grandpa logic.

How is he any different than uninvited console gamers coming in our genre and demanding changes to MMORPGs. So many demands and changes, that we now have to call MMORPGs, MMOs. 

None of us "grandpas" came to your genre uninvited, demanding changes to your genre until unrecognizable. I think we grandpas, have a right to point out that your uninvited changes have a proven track record of games that are so bad, most players won't stay around for more than a few months before jumping onto the next one.

The cool factor of MMORPGs was that you could play online. Well, now consoles can be played online. Console gamers can go back now.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Krimzin said:

Wildstar is a great example of bad.  Maybe not bad in some eyes but OBNOXIOUSS.  Wildstar failed, everyone knows that, so why is that such a great example you may ask ?.......Because it's a bloated example EVERY OTHER MMO.  

Wildstar failed because people are bad. The game itself was great, but it was to hard for the throngs of WoW players who cant move and attack. The game was going great until raiding began. Once people hit raiding and couldnt down the content with little to no effort like WoW, they quit. It was simply to hard for them.

The Game had a lot of things going for it.

Solid variety of classes.
    No Tab targeting.
    Holy Trinity 
    Solid questing.
    Good trade skills
    Good Secondary Jobs.
    Adult humor.
    Graphics were good, but characters a little to cartoony IMO
    Large World to explore

and many more.

The only true negative was that the game was Hard
    Wasn't only the that.  When ESO came out the bosses at the end of the quest lines tore you a new one if you didn't know what you were doing.  Molag Bal had people crying.  Yet that game had a slump then bounced back pretty well.  Wildstar had badly organized questing system and poor combat mechanics. TSW has bad combat mechanics, maybe some difficult monsters but great questing and story lines.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    If I wanted an old school fix, I would probably fool around in Asheron's Call.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I wish the industry took a stagnant nose dive long ago because this recent lack of quality has me doing BETTER things like getting back into sports and getting outside.

I am not really the addictive type,i need something or a game to be really good to get me to play it almost everyday,i don't play just to be addicted to levels or loot.
    This is why my entire 30 or so gaming years has taken a 360,i am now only playing single player games and back outside where i belong.

Originally i was becoming addicted when i saw ideas within FFXI and the nice graphics and added stuff from EQ2 but since that time,nothing is remotely good,well i guess FFXIV is remotely but that is not good enough for me anymore,i look at it in that i have much better options in life when wasting my time on entertainment,movies,sports "playing and watching" and like i said ,just getting outside more.

I actually feel sorry for the young generation,addicted to staring at PC screens and cell phones and many looking frail,pale and white to downright sickly.Point being ,don't waste your life away on mediocre crap,there are plenty of other things to do in life,than waste your money making devs rich for shotty work.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I've recently taken to recommending this to "not even one!" type posts on this site, but you should try Vendetta Online.  It's a phenomenon, and you haven't seen the genre if you haven't at least played it:

As @Distopia suggests, you could also try Eve.

If neither of those titles "does" it for you, perhaps taking a break from the genre would be in order; try something very different, like Minecraft, or (if you are more adventurous) Dwarf Fortress.  Massive Chalice is also a nice fantasy turn-based strategy game in the vein of X-Com.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    100% agree, MMO's have taken what made them great and moved it all to the FRONT of the game and left nothing worth while at the end.  Then just piled in convenience after convenience along the way.  No challenge just give mes all the way.

The ones that try to be different  say ( Black Desert ) bless their hearts, just didn't get the fun formula right, for me anyways.  I've never like RTS games, to me BD is an RTS with spastic action combat,  But also an amazing game world mixed in there.  I still give that game high praise, it just doesn't fit with me after playing for some time.

I am in the same boat as you, and keep looking back over my shoulder at EQ, EQ2 and Vangaurd with a heavy sigh.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    wait for riders pf icarus  or wait even longer for lost arkl..we will all be playing lost ark only when that game releases

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I found another extremely packed Vanilla WoW server.........Only a level 8 Priest and l ready made two friends and joined a guild.  All in a few hours......My friends list will be the longest ever.  I plan on knowing everyone on the server.  I plan on being the go-to guy when it comes to healing groups :)
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited May 2016
    Even if people can name you a mmorpg, you'll find excuse like its a bad game, or the cashshop, or whatever.

There are tones of mmorpg that's not like anyother.  Problem is no one is playing them.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I have like 10 MMOs installed but cannot find myself playing any of them...

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I have like 10 MMOs installed but cannot find myself playing any of them...
    So play something else. It is not like we have to play MMOs.