Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

apperently asia stopped making PC MMOs altogether

exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
and focusing on mobile games only.
Now theres only eu/na left. And they were always behind in terms of trends. And thers not much coming from our side for the next few years compared to what we were used to.

Comments

• feroshusferoshus Member UncommonPosts: 164
    DMKano said:
    Not true.

Also - lol at "asia". 
    Dude don't laugh, this guy clearly has the inside track on happenings in "asia". It's clear that asia had a meeting and decided to focus on mobile from now on. I'm glad someone came and told us.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Hardly, what about Lineage eternal to mention one? ASTA, Ghost in a shell online, Supernova... 

Most companies making the games for mobile platforms are new companies, NC soft, Namco Bandai, PWE and the rest still makes PC games.

Many of those games wont come here though, particularly Japanese MMOs seems to often not bother with translating to english.

Things are worse in EU/NA, in Japan, China and south Korea there are still larger companies making MMOs, in the west does it seems like all MMOs are either crowdfunded or made by small indie companies with a small budget.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Loke666 said:
    ........... in the west does it seems like all MMOs are either crowdfunded or made by small indie companies with a small budget.
    In other words, nothing is being made in the West
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited May 2016
    Are you talking about mmo or mmorpg?  There is a massive difference.

A few publishers who used to pay for mmorpg titles to be made or at least signed publishing deals after the fact have abandoned the mmorpg market and moved to the much more profitable mobile one but that's not everyone.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Loke666 said:
    ........... in the west does it seems like all MMOs are either crowdfunded or made by small indie companies with a small budget.
    You mean: "Nothing worthwhile is being made in the West" ? :D
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    Didn't Asia go into the "film" industry?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Loke666 said:
    I have zero faith in indie / crowd-funded development. (Mostly crowd-funding)
    The whole concept of CF rewards game development and not game release. The longer it takes to develop, (assuming the "crowd" continues to "fund") the more money the game makes. Conversely, once the game releases, the developers have already made the money. They owe the product to people who no longer owe them money for it. So there is no more revenue. So the profits stop once the game is released. And no one sees how broken this system is and why it will NEVER produce an MMORPG.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited May 2016
    Loke666 said:
    Hardly, what about Lineage eternal to mention one? ASTA, Ghost in a shell online, Supernova... 

Most companies making the games for mobile platforms are new companies, NC soft, Namco Bandai, PWE and the rest still makes PC games.

Many of those games wont come here though, particularly Japanese MMOs seems to often not bother with translating to english.

Things are worse in EU/NA, in Japan, China and south Korea there are still larger companies making MMOs, in the west does it seems like all MMOs are either crowdfunded or made by small indie companies with a small budget.
    I know for sure that Asta is dead in his homecountry and the company shutted down that game to focus on mobile games only.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Loke666 said:
    The whole concept of CF rewards game development and not game release. The longer it takes to develop, (assuming the "crowd" continues to "fund") the more money the game makes. Conversely, once the game releases, the developers have already made the money. They owe the product to people who no longer owe them money for it. So there is no more revenue. So the profits stop once the game is released. And no one sees how broken this system is and why it will NEVER produce an MMORPG.
    Not entirely true.

Elite:Dangerous was partly crowdfunded, and has released and is still running AND pumping out new content. Well, it has to pump out new content, because the game's financial survival is entirely dependant on selling expansions constantly.

Crowdfunding will produce a few great games, even though most of the projects will be trash or never launch.

Just as AAA studios will produce a few great games, even though most of them will be generic and meh...

The problem is that many people have convinced themselves that ONLY indie devs can EVER produce a great game. That's just as delusional as trying to claim that all AAA games are rubbish.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Not entirely true.

Elite:Dangerous was partly crowdfunded, and has released and is still running AND pumping out new content. Well, it has to pump out new content, because the game's financial survival is entirely dependant on selling expansions constantly.

Crowdfunding will produce a few great games, even though most of the projects will be trash or never launch.

Just as AAA studios will produce a few great games, even though most of them will be generic and meh...

The problem is that many people have convinced themselves that ONLY indie devs can EVER produce a great game. That's just as delusional as trying to claim that all AAA games are rubbish.
    I really hope so, but we wont really be sure of anything for a while. Some crowdfunded games seems really good, Pantheon is the top game on my waiting list right now but if they deliver and what impact they will have on the future of the genre is anybodies guess right now.

One thing to remember is that it is the talent of the devs that really matters, great devs can make a good game with aa limited budget (Eve and Guildwars are 2 good examples of that) but crappy devs can never make anything good no matter how much money you pour on them. It doesn't help when a suit that doesn't game makes the dcisions either.

In a perfect world do you have both great devs and a good budget without too much influence by none gaming investors but that have been rare.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Lean times indeed for more traditional MMORPG development, especially in the west.

We only need a small handful of indie titles to be reasonably successful to provide more real choice in terms of design than we've seen in the past 10 years.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

DMKano said:
    Loke666 said:

When it comes to innovation and risk taking, I'd put my money on indies any day even if many of them fail.

I'll pass on the shiny and pretty for some vision and soul.

AAA delivers the polish and pretty graphics but the drive for profits and mass appeal usually ends up in formulaic gameplay that's been rehashed to death.

There are exceptions of course but generally speaking that's how it is
    Let's resume this discussion when "vision and soul" is enough to bring an MMORPG to release.
    Loke666 said:
    Not entirely true.

But that's primarily a single player game with multi player function isn't it? (Haven't played it myself)
    It's not an MMORPG and from what I hear it's a pretty shallow experience. I mean it's great their is at least an example of a partially crowd funded game out there. But What i am seeing now doesn't look like it will work.

The way I see it working is to get initial funding to gain the attention of real backers. But that's not what I am seeing in any of these. They just want to raise the whole thing with CF money.

As I pointed out in a previous thread. A successful MMORPG is very expensive. I seriously doubt one can be produced short of a mid 8 figure cost if not 9....minimum. And most of these CF games are promising EVERYTHING EVERYONE wants with only a fraction of that money. What's more is most of these guys probably need to be managed. They have creativity and vision but lack leadership and discipline.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    why not a mmorpg that u can play thru smart phone and pc?
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited May 2016
    why not a mmorpg that u can play thru smart phone and pc?
    This has existed since March 2011 (Vendetta Online).  Currently, VO is the only fully 3D MMORPG I know of that allows users on both smart phone and pc to directly interact in a virtual world.

There is also Albion Online (in pre-release).  However, from what I have seen AO is more 3/4 3D, like a HD Ultima Online.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited May 2016
    Well the thing with mobile game is- since you play on mobile you cant expect high end graphics and overly deep complexity. The phones arent made for high end graphics either and lets not talk about battery and the small screen.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    exile01 said:
    Well the thing with mobile game is- since you play on mobile you cant expect high end graphics and overly deep complexity. The interface and the are not made for long playhours.
    Mobile has some graphical limitations, although the gap is shrinking.  The graphics on my LG G Vista aren't that far behind the 2008 desktop all-in-one Mac sitting proudly on my desk at home.

I'm not sure why you would say that game design on mobile precludes "deep complexity".

Complexity can take many forms.  The depth in learning to dodge an incoming flare pattern holds just as much (if not more) complexity than learning an optimal skill rotation in WoW.  PvP tactics in the game I play are highly evolved and very complex.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I don't think that is true. There is some truth in the statement, but it's not entirely true. Asia in general (since you didn't mention a specific part) is super focused on mobile games because it brings insane profits, and a lot of people there play mobile things quite a bit more. I know in Japan the handhelds do a lot better than consoles due to the limitations in living areas and lack of space for multiple TV's for other family members to use, and they started doing remote play due to this like the Wii-U having the ability to play games on the gamepad instead of the TV and the Vita connecting directly to the ps4 to remote play games. 

But MMORPG games are still going to come out. They still have giant followings for LAN centers in Korea, and a lot of people go there specifically to play MMORPG's with friends or just alone. There is a lot less focus on solely developing MMO games but they still have games coming out. It's a strange time to be in, since even giants like Konami are going mobile mainly (and pachinko) due to crazy investment to profit ratio. It's just a bit sad since I would love to play more triple A mmo's out of Asia and the US but it just isn't nearly as profitable anymore.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Studios in Korea, China, Japan, and even Malaysia are all still developing PC MMO titles.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    West is preparing for the leap to the much larger console market with the next gen consoles.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    They've stopped making Politically Correct mmo's - great!
    ah not that .....
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    They making mobile MMORPG now , bring old game back on mobile and make new games .
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I really hope Moonlight Blade works out and comes here. I played it recently and I'd be absolutely heartbroken if we didn't get it or if the game sank before launch and we don't get an english patch.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I have noticed far more games coming from Asia that even qualify as MMORPGs and not just MMOs than the number of games that are being produced in the West that I would like to play. So your observation or attempt to scrounge up an agreement is weak.
    Chamber of Chains