Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delay of the Valencia Update

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
Well looks like they want to fix issues with hacking and botting before they release this, smart.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/88634-delay-of-the-valencia-update/

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
  • caine6621caine6621 Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Nice to see a company take this approach. 

There are only 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Tiller said:
    Well looks like they want to fix issues with hacking and botting before they release this, smart.

Is that going to even be possible?  (well, feasible).  It'd take like, all sorts of all new programming coding and server structure to really get at the root of the problem.  Otherwise, the best they can do is something like all those games that use those utterly worthless game-guard programs, which are... well, utterly worthless.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Tiamat64 said:
    Tiller said:

Is that going to even be possible?  (well, feasible).  It'd take like, all sorts of all new programming coding and server structure to really get at the root of the problem.  Otherwise, the best they can do is something like all those games that use those utterly worthless game-guard programs, which are... well, utterly worthless.
    Yeah, I would assume it would take months to get the problem corrected.  It's not like it's something they've got a handle on in other regions and just need a patch or two.  Delaying updates indefinitely to try in fix hacking isn't going to really solve anything. 

Though they already planned to delay the next class release which is the most important update so I'm not sure this is a big loss.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "Well looks like they want to fix issues with hacking and botting before they release this, smart. "

Wait, what?  They said issues came up with the seiges being put into our client.  They didn't mention "fixing hacking and botting".

I'm hopeful there are improvements to catching and punishing hackers and botters but I certainly do not in any way expect it to be totally fixed, ever.  Let alone in a week.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2016
    "Well looks like they want to fix issues with hacking and botting before they release this, smart. "

Wait, what?  They said issues came up with the seiges being put into our client.  They didn't mention "fixing hacking and botting".

I'm hopeful there are improvements to catching and punishing hackers and botters but I certainly do not in any way expect it to be totally fixed, ever.  Let alone in a week.

He's probably referring to this part of the post by Daum:

"We also want to take this opportunity of deployment to further improve the security system of the game, targeting bots and such forbidden software. This is an ongoing task on which we've been working for a while now and the Valencia & Siege Mode update could be a key point in that matter, as we don't want the new Siege content to be overshadowed by this matter."

Yea, um... without server checks, I'm not sure how they can target bots and forbidden software.  And yet they are saying they're doing something.  Again though, most I can think of that'd be economically feasible for most companies in a hypothetical case like this, let alone a newbie like Daum, is one of those useless game guard X-trap outside programs that pops up when you launch the game.  And those never do anything to any decent hacker program.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yea, um... without server checks, I'm not sure how they can target bots and forbidden software.  And yet they are saying they're doing something.  Again though, most I can think of that'd be economically feasible for most companies in a hypothetical case like this, let alone a newbie like Daum, is one of those useless game guard X-trap outside programs that pops up when you launch the game.  And those never do anything to any decent hacker program.
    Sure they do.
    ...Until the hackers find their way around it in a day or two, and the program's utterly useless again. :p

It's the same struggle anti-virus and every other software developer has to put up with. Unfortunately as an Asian import, I don't ever see them changing the EU/NA version so drastically from the original one. =/

As Kano mentioned on another thread... they have no need for server side authentication over there. They have other means in place to keep people from being dirtbags.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Hacking and botting fixed, lol, won t happen.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    DMKano said:
    Tiamat64 said:

He's probably referring to this part of the post by Daum:

"We also want to take this opportunity of deployment to further improve the security system of the game, targeting bots and such forbidden software. This is an ongoing task on which we've been working for a while now and the Valencia & Siege Mode update could be a key point in that matter, as we don't want the new Siege content to be overshadowed by this matter."

Exactly - the 3rd party anti-cheat programs (like hackshield (now defunct), game guard and Xigncode3) are an absolute joke. 

My opinion on existance of those is to give the "warm and fuzzy" to your average player who never hacks, but it does nothing for actual hackers who write 3rd party exploit kits
    Don't they already have Xigncode.  What are they going to do try and use gameguard and Xignecode? 

I've never noticed those programs put any sort of dent in hacking or botting.  I wonder how they get hired?  They must have one hell of a sales team.