Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR Backpack computer

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
edited May 2016 in Hardware
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/27/11790674/hp-virtual-reality-gaming-pc-backpack

no screen, PC made as a packpack for VR. could be used for more than just VR in my opinion

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    It looks cool, and is conceptually moving in the right direction for VR, but 1 hour battery life? Sure it's hot-swappable but wtf? That's just such a bad limitation that it makes me wonder if they understand their audience at all.

1 hour is nothing to a gamer. 1 hour is nothing to someone who is even watching a movie!!! lol And sawpping a battery in the middle of a game in which you have to remove/put on gear and I can only sit back and wonder what they're smoking.

Lastly, even with fans (why are the vents not on the outside facing away from the body?) this will get hot which only adds another layer of discomfort. HP, go home, you're drunk.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited May 2016
    Rusque said:
    It looks cool, and is conceptually moving in the right direction for VR, but 1 hour battery life? Sure it's hot-swappable but wtf? That's just such a bad limitation that it makes me wonder if they understand their audience at all.

1 hour is nothing to a gamer. 1 hour is nothing to someone who is even watching a movie!!! lol And sawpping a battery in the middle of a game in which you have to remove/put on gear and I can only sit back and wonder what they're smoking.

Lastly, even with fans (why are the vents not on the outside facing away from the body?) this will get hot which only adds another layer of discomfort. HP, go home, you're drunk.
    actually I am impressed it has battery power at all, I didnt read that part. 

When god creates better physics for batteries then we can get a better battery until then, yeah your likely going to be getting an extension cord

Totally agree with the fan issue. Its very likely this will not be a huge seller just something to attract attention to HP in general

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    People are already hurting themselves with VR sets when they're tethered.. and many of them have nothing to do with the cabling.  Now untether them and it will only get worse.  Only the Vive with their pass through camera will help.. but even the passthrough camera has a delay...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, I could see a console in the future you strap on your back... Cool idea but propable a bit too early, at the moment you have a high chanse of running into a wall if you use it indoors. 
    edited May 2016
    Loke666 said:
    Well, I could see a console in the future you strap on your back... Cool idea but propable a bit too early, at the moment you have a high chanse of running into a wall if you use it indoors. 
    well a few things.

1. it would only work with the Vive anyway
    2. the Vive pulls you out of the game if you reach the perimeter and you can see the outlines of the walls and furniture at that point.
    3. I dont think anyone thinks this is a serious product for the massives, HP is just throwing an idea out there to say they did it and perhaps it will stick.
    4. In in the Home Theater business there are steeros and TVs for all income brackets. I see this as someone a guy with 1000 square feet of empty wareshouse space on his penthouse apartment might buy. I dont think its for the general masses (ps. you can link Vive cameras and in theory have 1000 square foot room of uninterrupted space)

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Rusque said:

My suspicion is that VR gaming will be very different and people may not have the marathon sessions if they are standing and moving round all the time.  The benefit of this is free moment.  Watching a movie is very sedentary and not something you need a backpack for.

My guess is the reason the system only has an hour battery is for heat, weight, and other comfort issues. 

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    Rusque said:

My suspicion is that VR gaming will be very different and people may not have the marathon sessions if they are standing and moving round all the time.  The benefit of this is free moment.  Watching a movie is very sedentary and not something you need a backpack for.

My guess is the reason the system only has an hour battery is for heat, weight, and other comfort issues. 

I like your observations and I agree that VR will be different from traditional gaming as it relates to time. People seem to think that is a killer, I dont.

who sits and watches movies for 12 hours straight? but yet movies are still extremely relevant. Like Sex, its doesnt have to be long to be awesome.