Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG truly a dying genre

Comments

• FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Terranah said:
    Hey guys, been awhile since I posted around here, but I sort of agree with the sentiment of the OP.  While many 'mmo' are being released, none have sparked the interest or passion in me that I once had for the genre.  

Some of the old games are still around and I even spent maybe a year playing and supporting an emulator of a certain space based mmo.  It brought back a lot of the joy and wonder of mmos which for me is role playing and living an alternate life in a virtual setting.  In that year, some of my mmo friends reconnected through the game and started a guild, built a city, and leveled quite a few characters to max.  I got my old architect back, built houses in beautiful locations, decorated, and became my characters while I tuned out the real world.  It was really a lot of fun.  

I would be interested in an experience like that again if mmo's return more to their roots instead of using the term mmo has a marketing ploy to garner interest.

There seems to be a common theme here one I'm shocked by.  So a 6 year old can understand he/she has grown out of a hobby like playing with baby toys.   But here we have grown adults who can't understand, accept and move on from the fact they have out grown mmos or video games in general.  Clearly the genre has passed you guys by but yet unlike a 6 year old these grown adults can't move on.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,820
    Terranah said:
    Hey guys, been awhile since I posted around here

Indeed, long time not seen you.

Cant blame you too.
    I too only post very rarely, and browse this site out of boredom and force of long since redundant habit 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,410
    Pantheon will be the mmo I spend my future mmo days in. Hopefully until then I hope the emu for Vanguard gets done.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,867
    Yeh I guess it's been a while.  Still hoping for a sticky.  Come on Bill (if you read this), help us out.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,207
    FFFG said:
    Terranah said:
    Hey guys, been awhile since I posted around here, but I sort of agree with the sentiment of the OP.  While many 'mmo' are being released, none have sparked the interest or passion in me that I once had for the genre.  

Some of the old games are still around and I even spent maybe a year playing and supporting an emulator of a certain space based mmo.  It brought back a lot of the joy and wonder of mmos which for me is role playing and living an alternate life in a virtual setting.  In that year, some of my mmo friends reconnected through the game and started a guild, built a city, and leveled quite a few characters to max.  I got my old architect back, built houses in beautiful locations, decorated, and became my characters while I tuned out the real world.  It was really a lot of fun.  

I would be interested in an experience like that again if mmo's return more to their roots instead of using the term mmo has a marketing ploy to garner interest.

There seems to be a common theme here one I'm shocked by.  So a 6 year old can understand he/she has grown out of a hobby like playing with baby toys.   But here we have grown adults who can't understand, accept and move on from the fact they have out grown mmos or video games in general.  Clearly the genre has passed you guys by but yet unlike a 6 year old these grown adults can't move on.
    False comparison

When a 6 year old outgrows their childish toys, it is the child that has changed but the toys stay the same. 

With MMOs the reverse is true. We (players) have stayed the same but the toys have changed. 

Also, clearly a lot of people have moved on. Some of us have simply quit playing modern MMORPGs because they've changed so much from what they were that the enjoyment we used to find can no longer be found. We still hang around on forums like this in the hopes that we can influence future MMOs or simply reminisce about past games we enjoy. 

Others have managed to adapt and find enjoyment in the new style of MMORPGs. Thats great for them and I'm happy for them. I tried my best to adapt as well, but modern MMORPGs just don't do it for me - they are trivially easy and I hate the trend towards action combat. 

As for the general theme of the thread, I both agree and disagree. 

In pure statistics, the OP is wrong - there are more MMOs, more players and more money than at any point in the genres history. Genre can't be dying if the genre is bigger than ever before. 

In terms of developers in the market, the OP has a point - western AAA devs have pretty much abandoned the genre and we have no new AAA MMORPGs in the pipeline that we're aware of. That shows a lack of confidence in the genre in the west and a lack of new releases will only worsen the situation short term. Longer term, its all just cyclical. We'll soon have a big gap in the market in the west and eventually a AAA dev will step in to fill the void, make a ton of money thus sparking the next round of cash grabbing. 

In terms of creativity, the OP has a minor point, but this is purely subjective. The first 10 years of MMORPGs was all about exploring possibilities, trial and error and creation of fundamental principles for the genre. The second 10 years has been about refinement - there have been far less "big ideas" but tons of smaller features and improvements. 

In terms of the future, I simply believe we are in a slump, but a temporary one. The themepark MMORPG has burnt itself out - there are too many of them that the playerbase is too spread out for AAA devs to think it worthwhile building new ones. Other types of MMO haven't yet had much success, so we're limited to indie devs. However, AAA console devs have started moving into the MMO realm (Destiny, The Division) and whilst we've yet to have an actual MMO, they're moving that direction. This will only be a good thing for the genre as the console devs bring new ways of thinking and new ideas into the market to replace the stagnant themepark MMO. 
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    edited May 2016
    It's just not a genre that can draw in players like it used to.

Everything is online now, everything is multiplayer, everything is twitch this or e-sports that...

Traditional MMO gameplay is just to boring for today's fast paced audience.

Thankfully it's a great time for RPGs, action games, shooters, strategy, moba... lots to play, lots to love, but yeah - no major AAA mmo's coming out every few months like we had in 2003-2013 or so.

You just have to make so many sacrifices to make an MMO, the impact on gameplay and story and everything else is just too much.

Maybe the technology will catch up and we'll be able to get a true MMO with the amazing story of Witcher and the tactical/visceral gameplay of Dark Souls with the production value and scale/scope of Uncharted...

... but I doubt it. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    The genre is dead when all the publishers decide to stop updating these games and shut them down, doesn't look like that's happening to me.  Wow is getting a new expansion and pretty much every one of the 50+ mmo titles running has development teams working on them to add new content. 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,762
    I agree, the MMORPG is a dying or even dead genre. The MMO, however, is alive and kicking due to p2w cash shops and mind numbing amount of people willing to play the trash that comes out today.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,762
    FFFG said:
    Wrong the old school bitter mmo vet is a dying breed.  Truthfully I think that is a good thing.  You guys have been left in the dust the fact today we have more people playing mmos then ever before and the fact we have more mmos to choose from then ever before pretty much destroy your doom and gloom rant...my advice to you OP is move on this isn't a battle (well you are fighting alone as developers clearly could care less about those like you) you can win...facts just aren't on your side.
    What facts are those? That gamers like you actually like this crap they try to call MMORPG's today? The fact is you have no clue what a true MMORPG is all about and what makes it great. We "old school bitter vets" are bitter. Because we had a genre we enjoyed, it was niche, but it was ours. Now devs cater to the masses of people like you willing to take some cheap experience you will play here and there and move on. Probably spend hundreds of dollars in the cash shop while you are at it. They love you and yours, which is why they will continue to put out this Asian MMO cash grab crap until you get bored and move on to some other genre.

You are right, developers don't care about us, but do you think they care about you? You are a big fat money sack with bones to them, nothing more. They hear $$$$$cha-ching$$$$$ when they see you coming. So spare me the condescending remarks about us as if you are somehow the superior one here.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,776
    scorpex-x said:
    The genre is dead when all the publishers decide to stop updating these games and shut them down, doesn't look like that's happening to me.  Wow is getting a new expansion and pretty much every one of the 50+ mmo titles running has development teams working on them to add new content. 
    Yes,  developers are updating games, however, these games are in decline and they are not making new ones. There is writing on the wall. When the OP uses the term, "dead/death" it's figurative and used in proper context to say there is a major problem that does not look good for the forseeable future. Anyone who thinks that not having any studios developing any MMORPG isn't a big deal has their head in the sand. Using semantics  and pointing out 100 examples of "Shitty-Game (still) Online" to deflect the point doesn't change the fact that we probably won't be seeing a decent MMORPG worth spending much time in any time soon.

Viper482 said:
    FFFG said:
    Wrong the old school bitter mmo vet is a dying breed.  Truthfully I think that is a good thing.  You guys have been left in the dust the fact today we have more people playing mmos then ever before and the fact we have more mmos to choose from then ever before pretty much destroy your doom and gloom rant...my advice to you OP is move on this isn't a battle (well you are fighting alone as developers clearly could care less about those like you) you can win...facts just aren't on your side.
    What facts are those? That gamers like you actually like this crap they try to call MMORPG's today? The fact is you have no clue what a true MMORPG is all about and what makes it great. We "old school bitter vets" are bitter. Because we had a genre we enjoyed, it was niche, but it was ours. Now devs cater to the masses of people like you willing to take some cheap experience you will play here and there and move on. Probably spend hundreds of dollars in the cash shop while you are at it. They love you and yours, which is why they will continue to put out this Asian MMO cash grab crap until you get bored and move on to some other genre.

You are right, developers don't care about us, but do you think they care about you? You are a big fat money sack with bones to them, nothing more. They hear $$$$$cha-ching$$$$$ when they see you coming. So spare me the condescending remarks about us as if you are somehow the superior one here.
    Oh yeah show us your anger and hostility show us how emotional you get over video games yes let that anger over video games out you go man. 

See the the difference is I am intelligent enough to know the Developers indie and big are here to make money.  I am also intelligent enough to make my own decisions on what I spend my money on.  I am also mature enough where I will never get emotionally involved in video games like you clearly are...so yes you put that all together I'm clearly far superior then those who act like you. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,725
    edited May 2016
    cameltosis said:
    False comparison

When a 6 year old outgrows their childish toys, it is the child that has changed but the toys stay the same.
    It is not false comparison because that was not the point - whether "toys has changed" is irrelevant.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    Viper482 said:
    FFFG said:

Calm down....

What about folks like myself who experienced both, can enjoy both old and new and have accepted shit in life changes? I can tell you one thing, it's better than being bitter and getting this angry over the topic.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    Viper482 said:
    FFFG said:

Calm down....

What about folks like myself who experienced both, can enjoy both old and new and have accepted shit in life changes? I can tell you one thing, it's better than being bitter and getting this angry over the topic.
    Maintaining your outlook is great. You have shown your patience and acceptance of change for quite some time now. But I just want to ask.......Do you miss games like SWG or has your adaptation to the "new" taken away the desire to play in such a virtual world?
    Distopia said:
    Viper482 said:
    FFFG said:

Calm down....

Maintaining your outlook is great. You have shown your patience and acceptance of change for quite some time now. But I just want to ask.......Do you miss games like SWG or has your adaptation to the "new" taken away the desire to play in such a virtual world?
    FYI a lot of people didnt enjoy SWG and in no way look at SWG other than a failed mmorpg...
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Rhoklaw said:
    The genre isn't dead, but rather the passion and creativity required to design good games. Once MMO's became a popular business model and creation shifted from passionate developers to men in suits, that is what caused this genre to go into the toilet.

As much as it sucks and I've said it before, crowdfunded games are the only way to get the genre / market back on track with MMO's that make sense for gamers, not for CEO's to line their pockets.
    A CEO that actually got that fun games earn more money in the long term then a short money grab would work as well. The real problem is that the larger companies think short term and want a quick profit, MMOs take long time to make and while they have a huge potential for earnings that usually takes time.

A good MMO takes 5 years to make and earn money for twice that time  and it seems that most CEOs think they will have moved on to something else before the game even released. Also, MMOs can't really be just pasted and copeid of another successful game, when you have finnished the game he ideas you copied are old and the original game have 2 expansions out. That works with ordinary games which usually takes a year to get out.

SWG? I don't miss it because I still play it when I get an itch heh (it helps that my old server runs their own EMU).. That's a good question though, my desire for something more along those lines remains. I just gave up on any expectation of it happening long ago. Even with proposed concepts like COE, SC etc... that hasn't changed. When those titles look more like actual games and less like attempts, that will change. 

In the end for me it's about living in the now, enjoying what I can from what's available. That helps keep the bitterness at bay.

FFFG said:

FYI a lot of people didnt enjoy SWG and in no way look at SWG other than a failed mmorpg...
    Heh, I'm not one of those people... Failed or not I really liked SWG

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I dunno but this website is still here...and I am still reading crap on here since for the last 8 years.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

Distopia said:
    FFFG said:

That's fine My point was a lot of these old bitter vets always refer to SWG as the shining example of what mmorpgs should be today.  When the truth is thats clearly not what the majority of players want today and a lot of people just didn't care for SWG that's partly why it's not around today other then the emulator.   
    FFFG said:
    Distopia said:
    FFFG said:

That's fine My point was a lot of these old bitter vets always refer to SWG as the shining example of what mmorpgs should be today.  When the truth is thats clearly not what the majority of players want today and a lot of people just didn't care for SWG that's partly why it's not around today other then the emulator.   
    That is certainly true.

FFFG said:
    Distopia said:
    Viper482 said:
    FFFG said:

Calm down....

The question was directed @Distopia  because I know he played that game specifically. It was a tailored example not meant for anyone else.
  • HarikenHariken Member RarePosts: 2,382
    Its just dead for big name game companies. They don't want to waste time or money in genre where the player's are not loyal anymore. To many mmo's to chose from now. Most players play a mmo for just a couple of months and move on to the next one. Look at B&S that game was a big thing and now you hardly hear anyone talk about it. Same thing will happen to BDO.
    FFFG said:
    Distopia said:
    Viper482 said:
    FFFG said:

Calm down....

The question was directed @Distopia  because I know he played that game specifically. It was a tailored example not meant for anyone else.
    If you get angry when people reply to something that was "tailored" for only one person I suggested you use the PM feature. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    FFFG said:
    SWG did have some good ideas and while I don't think there should be a new game just like it made someone could be inspired by it's crafting, resource management and it's player owned stores and establishments.

There have been a lot of interesting mechanics in MMOs that just died out and some of those are worth a look to inspire new games, not to copy and paste them but to evolve things in a different way. 

The problem with MMOs now is that almost all of them more or less play the exact same way and that isn't healthy for a genre, the players have been tiring of it and more and more people are moving to other types of games, be that Mobas (PvP fans), single player games like Witcher 3 (roleplaying fans), Diablo styled games (dungeon lovers) and so on. It is kinda like a pub that only serves Budweisser (or to be more exact that all pubs in your town only serves that).

Just remaking 15 years old games wont work, their time have passed but neither does remaking the same newer game either long term. There is of course many people who do enjoy the current MMO mechanics but there are way too many games doing the exact same thing so new games doing that have little chanse of being successful.