Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why MMORPGs (or games in general) don't include a Steam release?

SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
I have always wondered why MMORPGs and games in general, would gimp themselves and not release on Steam on their launch.

Why would you lose millions of potential customers (even with Valve's cut on profits) and make your game not thrive as it could?

I ask this because if we take the example of Wildstar, had they release on Steam at launch I think the whole game sucess (or lack thereof) would have been so much different...
If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation

Comments

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited May 2016
    Because Steam is horrendously expensive, they take large a chunk of the initial box price and they also take a cut of every micro-transaction or expansion pack released after the fact if it's on their version of the game.

Anyway, the kind of people who play an mmorpg are almost always already well aware that the game is coming out, steam has minimal impact and mmorpg titles don't even do well on there anyway.

The only time an mmorpg comes on steam is when the game is struggling.

At best you get a few thousand people, just not worth it at all.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Eve is on steam
    so there is that
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    There are lots of MMOs on steam. 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited May 2016
    35% of the gross on any sale.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Some games have way to buy the game currency outside of steam, so steam wont get the cut.

I have seen games doing this and you buy the coins on their website and it appears on your account, even if the game was on steam.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • IdiNahuiPidarIdiNahuiPidar Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited May 2016
    I think steam community is toxic . MMORPG.COM toxicity is nothing compare to that toxicity.

So I don't like steam

Also VAC  bans ....  Gm can log in and ban all guild only because 1 member was aimboting   not only this but I was against it and reported him too ....

As result of 30 people Contacting support and proving that other guild was using aimbot ....just ignored
    To none of us responded.
    Steam support is terrible. And they can throw VAC ban left and right

I was banned many times because of my hot head but never seen  such bull shit .

Also Steam scum take part of the revenue Fuck them !!!

On the other hand MMORPG community has some people who report left and right for personal abuse  and Vaross keeps banning every one who disagree with them
    Post edited by IdiNahuiPidar on
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    steam unstable always crash. even glyph is better
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Grunty said:
    30% is what I understand it is, not 35%

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

All of these answers thus far do not really address the NET of the OPs question.

Example:
    so what if Steam takes a huge cut, so what if its even 90% cut, its still another possible revenue stream that otherwise does not exist.

Response: 
    yes but that is one customer that would otherwise buy from a different service thus NET goes down

However:
    However if Steam increases exposure and thus overall consumers then NET does not go down.

hmm which is it? I can try and explain it in a different way if there is any confusion

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I think steam community is toxic . MMORPG.COM toxicity is nothing compare to that toxicity.

So I don't like steam

Also VAC  bans ....  Gm can log in and ban all guild only because 1 member was aimboting   not only this but I was against it and reported him too ....

As result of 30 people Contacting support and proving that other guild was using aimbot ....just ignored
    To none of us responded.
    Steam support is terrible. And they can throw VAC ban left and right

I was banned many times because of my hot head but never seen  such bull shit .

Also Steam scum take part of the revenue Fuck them !!!

On the other hand MMORPG community has some people who report left and right for personal abuse  and Vaross keeps banning every one who disagree with them
    LOL so much made up bs in this post. 

You clearly have no clue how VAC bans are issued. And OMG Steam takes a cut of the games that get sold on their platform, RIOT!!!!! Its a fucking store,  of course they get a cut.

• FFFGFFFG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited May 2016
    Because steam represented about 10% of PC game sales last year.  Sure they may have 150 million accounts but a very small fraction of those accounts actually used steam in 2015 to purchase games.  

Why would anyone want to purchase an mmo or any game that requires a launcher through steam?  Oh let me open steam just so it can open the launcher for my game?  No thanks I'd  rather just open the launcher. 

I dont know a single person that has used steam to purchase a multiplayer game...
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

So I don't like steam

Why do you care? Just use steam as a convenient front-end, store, and organizer. No one says you have to participate in the forums, or "community".
    edited May 2016
    FFFG said:
    Because steam represented about 10% of PC game sales last year.  Sure they may have 150 million accounts but a very small fraction of those accounts actually used steam in 2015 to purchase games.  

Why would anyone want to purchase an mmo or any game that requires a launcher through steam?  Oh let me open steam just so it can open the launcher for my game?  No thanks I'd  rather just open the launcher. 

I dont know a single person that has used steam to purchase a multiplayer game...
    correction: Steam has 250 million 'active' accounts which means logged in within 30 days.

in the end the question that matters is 'does Steam bring in a NET gain of users or would it just transfer some of the same user base away from other more attractive revenue streams. I dont know but I think steam would increase over all NET number of users. If a game is not on Steam I rarely ever know it exists personally speaking

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    edited May 2016

4. What is your revenue split?

We don't discuss our revenue split publicly. Once your game goes through Steam Greenlight, we'll get to those details.

I've read some games were asked to not only give the 30-35% (varies I'm sure) for sales on Steam but also from previous sales and all micro transactions as well. Different stories from different places.

The thing is, the PC does not require an app store and the more money a developer can get for their product the better. It's their product. If the game is good, Steam will do nothing for it anyway. Look at Minecraft.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    FFFG said:

I prefer games that are on steam and have in fact purchased games again to make them part of my steam library.

Why?

1. Because steam will automatically update games and in my case, Steam is un-metered data through certain ISP's in Australia (doesn't count towards my monthly data allowance). 

2. It connects me with my gaming friends outside an mmo online's friend list.

3. Where applicable it allows login and purchases with only my steam account as authentication. 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    edited May 2016
    Kilrain said:

We don't discuss our revenue split publicly. Once your game goes through Steam Greenlight, we'll get to those details.

I've read some games were asked to not only give the 30-35% (varies I'm sure) for sales on Steam but also from previous sales and all micro transactions as well. Different stories from different places.

I'm not entirely convinced that major publishers don't have any sway with this 30-35% rumor and dont get alternative contracts offered.

For example bethesda. They seem very cozy with valve for someone that is taking 30-35% of their profits.

Then again i could be completely wrong.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Grunty said:
    This is my source for 35%.  http://steamcommunity.com/games/316390/announcements/detail/896591243095505772

"Because end of Summer is not as far as it seems, we have started planning for future custom armor orders. However, at this point we realized that with Steam taking away about 35% of each transaction, it is economically inefficient for us to continue taking orders for custom made armor at the existing prices. "

Their clan armor sales required a minimum of 10 sets of armor at $30 U.S. per set. 

I don't doubt that major developers and publishers get better deals than small developers and publishers. I don't doubt that different contracts state different amounts.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    edited May 2016
    There is no reason to release there. They take a big cut of your sales.

A lot of big publishers like Ubisoft, EA, Microsoft and Blizzard have also decided not to release any of their games on steam. I am honestly surprised Activision puts their Call of Duty games there. COD is so popular that people will go out of there way to buy it. No need to be on steam.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Nitth said:
    Kilrain said:

I'm not entirely convinced that major publishers don't have any sway with this 30-35% rumor and dont get alternative contracts offered.

For example bethesda. They seem very cozy with valve for someone that is taking 30-35% of their profits.

Then again i could be completely wrong.
    Yeah there is no way the likes of Bethesda or Activision are giving 35% to Valve. Those companies don't need steam to sell their games at all.

But indies who have no other choice will probably pay a lot more.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Grunty said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Grunty said:
    This is my source for 35%.  http://steamcommunity.com/games/316390/announcements/detail/896591243095505772

"Because end of Summer is not as far as it seems, we have started planning for future custom armor orders. However, at this point we realized that with Steam taking away about 35% of each transaction, it is economically inefficient for us to continue taking orders for custom made armor at the existing prices. "

Their clan armor sales required a minimum of 10 sets of armor at $30 U.S. per set. 

I don't doubt that major developers and publishers get better deals than small developers and publishers. I don't doubt that different contracts state different amounts.

I found about 4 discussions with people saying it was %30 and I found this article:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-and-gog-take-30-revenue-cut-suggests-fez-creator-phil-fish/

so are we all to say that if we take Steam active users, steam sells then its a very small part of PC gaming?

sweeet

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I think the better question is why cant people find games without Steam? We see it on here all the time that people werent even aware of a game that has been out for years (many for free) and didnt know about it until it came to Steam.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I think the better question is why cant people find games without Steam? We see it on here all the time that people werent even aware of a game that has been out for years (many for free) and didnt know about it until it came to Steam.
    If it weren't for a certain poopy orifice of the internet that shall go unnamed, I wouldn't have found out that DFO was being relaunched. Some people can't afford to cram their games in between the piles of browser trash and big name game updates sites are getting to paid to crow about.
    i will give my answer to your question if you answer mine

assuming this is dirrected to me