Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Fast Travel Is Boring

nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
Watch Black desert online. Most streamers on twitch spend 70% of their time walking to the destination ingame.

Some even play hearthstone while their toon is riding horse. some not even on the computer.

No fast travel is a waste of time, anti insta fun and boring.

its fun when u want to explore the world for the 1st time. watching the the area. but its very boring when u repeat the same area 1000 times.

I think every mmorpg should have fast travel.

Adamantine

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    There's no disagree button but "I disagree".

I'm loving the no fast travel in Black Desert.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    I don't.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Once node wars and control become a thing, the lack of fast travel will become quite important.

If you can instantly teleport from town to town, one powerful guild can lock down the whole game, because they could instantly port their zerg to defend against any attack on their holdings anywhere on the map.

Luckily there are plenty of MMO's that have fast travel for those that demand it. BDO is not one of them, however, and will never be.
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    DMKano said:
    I think it works well in Black Desert the way it is.

The continent of Black Desert would feel absolutely tiny if they put in fast travel, because you'd be able to to get from catfish/hexe to media to valencia in less than 30sec.

The game is specifically designed for players that have a lot of time to invest. Black Desert is not for short gameplay session crowd, which is what instant travel caters to.

Let the game be for what it was designed for - gamers that like to invest huge amounts of time into their game. 

It's good for the market to have games that cater to different players, Black Desert fills a niche quite nicely 

If Black Desert could load quickly/immediately, fast travel would have been an amazing addition to the game. Lineage 1 had blessed teleport scrolls and the /bookmark option. You could immediately load into an area to engage in pvp/pve, tele out, buy potions, tele in, keep a persisting battle going.

Black Desert makes it difficult for battles to persist. Once a zerg wins, the enemy is done. And if you want to continue fighting, you can't respawn at the nearest node or the enemy just gangbangs you upon respawn. How is that fun?
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Once node wars and control become a thing, the lack of fast travel will become quite important.

If you can instantly teleport from town to town, one powerful guild can lock down the whole game, because they could instantly port their zerg to defend against any attack on their holdings anywhere on the map.

Luckily there are plenty of MMO's that have fast travel for those that demand it. BDO is not one of them, however, and will never be.
    see how gw2 handle it on wvw. waypoint is upgraded thing, not always there. and it can be contested.
  • GankableGankable Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Would also note that fast or instant travel was a solution to the problem of 'if I'm paying a monthly subscription, then too much of that subscription cost is spent on traveling from place to place'. Though these days, both older and newer generations of gamers are spending less and less time on gaming, so it's sometimes hard to justify the lack of fast/instant travel.

Guess it really comes down to whether you want immersion or convenience. And BDO picked the former.
  • GrayPhilosopherGrayPhilosopher Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I don't think the lack of fast travel is the problem, rather the way it's implemented.

I can see how running from one town to the next gets boring, because nothing happens. Right?

In my experience with open world games, you're often tasked to go to the next town over or even across the continent, like it's some trivial thing that's expected to take 5 minutes.
    "Oh hey yeah could you go fetch this stuff for me from my buddy Dave in that one city that's f*cking far away? thanks!"

It's like the concept of dangerous encounters while travelling is lost entirely. I think it could liven it up tremendously if you add some more tension and potential danger when you're on the road. Danger that can be avoided as long as you're observant. 
    Like @SpottyGekko mentioned. Once Node Wars and Control become a thing, there will probably also be a more exciting travelling atmosphere.

Now take a game like DayZ, it's a bit of a hardcore title compared to many things so it might be a risky comparison. But in it, you never know when or where you're going to run into a player. And if you do, whether or not they're even friendly. Knowing this, you're much more likely to be on your guard and travel cautiously, even though you're trying to get halfway across the map.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    The lack of fast travel was one of the few redeeming qualities of the game. Traveling everywhere and seeing others doing the same made the world feel real.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Lack of fast travel isn't the problem. It's the fact that the journey on foot or on horseback isn't worth it.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    I don't think the lack of fast travel is the problem, rather the way it's implemented.

I can see how running from one town to the next gets boring, because nothing happens. Right?

In my experience with open world games, you're often tasked to go to the next town over or even across the continent, like it's some trivial thing that's expected to take 5 minutes.
    "Oh hey yeah could you go fetch this stuff for me from my buddy Dave in that one city that's f*cking far away? thanks!"

It's like the concept of dangerous encounters while travelling is lost entirely. I think it could liven it up tremendously if you add some more tension and potential danger when you're on the road. Danger that can be avoided as long as you're observant. 
    Like @SpottyGekko mentioned. Once Node Wars and Control become a thing, there will probably also be a more exciting travelling atmosphere.

Now take a game like DayZ, it's a bit of a hardcore title compared to many things so it might be a risky comparison. But in it, you never know when or where you're going to run into a player. And if you do, whether or not they're even friendly. Knowing this, you're much more likely to be on your guard and travel cautiously, even though you're trying to get halfway across the map.
    i agree with u sir.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    DKLond said:
    Lack of fast travel isn't the problem. It's the fact that the journey on foot or on horseback isn't worth it.
    Why?  It's a bathroom break. It's getting another beer (or whatever).

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I was attacked on the road in BDO many times. PvP does happen. 

On a side note, I feel a world designed to be immersive should find ways to put players out there. With all the jump-in/jump-out games available today, why do mmorpg's have to follow suit?

Furthermore, what attracts people to games with huge open worlds in which a player does not want to actively be out in it, socializing, engaging with other players? Repetition is an issue? What game isn't repetitive at some point?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited May 2016
    DMKano said:
    I think it works well in Black Desert the way it is.

The continent of Black Desert would feel absolutely tiny if they put in fast travel, because you'd be able to to get from catfish/hexe to media to valencia in less than 30sec.

The game is specifically designed for players that have a lot of time to invest. Black Desert is not for short gameplay session crowd, which is what instant travel caters to.

Let the game be for what it was designed for - gamers that like to invest huge amounts of time into their game. 

It's good for the market to have games that cater to different players, Black Desert fills a niche quite nicely 

If Black Desert could load quickly/immediately, fast travel would have been an amazing addition to the game. Lineage 1 had blessed teleport scrolls and the /bookmark option. You could immediately load into an area to engage in pvp/pve, tele out, buy potions, tele in, keep a persisting battle going.

Black Desert makes it difficult for battles to persist. Once a zerg wins, the enemy is done. And if you want to continue fighting, you can't respawn at the nearest node or the enemy just gangbangs you upon respawn. How is that fun?
    You'll note NC specifically left BTELS out of L2, likely because they mucked up the PVP / siege mechanics in the first game.

The battle should come to an end and not continue endlessly.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    spikers14 said:
    I was attacked on the road in BDO many times. PvP does happen. 
    Sorry...didn't think of that.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Kyleran said:

You'll note NC specifically left BTELS out of L2, likely because they mucked up the PVP / siege mechanics in the first game.

L2 had a completely different combat system. BDO has a system more similar to L1. Also bteles had a limit of where you could bookmark and teleport.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited May 2016
    This trend of people becoming lazier and lazier is mind boggling. First you don't need to walk to dungeons you get instantly teleported now they want to teleport from town to town.

Might aswell play a lobby game. You won't have to waste time moving in the game's world.

Kyleran said:

L2 had a completely different combat system. BDO has a system more similar to L1. Also bteles had a limit of where you could bookmark and teleport.
    I played both for 6 months each. The combat systems were not that different. Soul shot/potion spamming, castle sieges, etc.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Bloodaxes said:
    This trend of people becoming lazier and lazier is mind boggling. First you don't need to walk to dungeons you get instantly teleported now they want to teleport from town to town.

Might aswell play a lobby game. You won't have to waste time moving the game world.
    Its been supported by developers.  
    Bloodaxes said:

Might aswell play a lobby game. You won't have to waste time moving the game world.
    Its been supported by developers.  
    I'm told there's a new 10th level in hell that has been created just for them. :p

• Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89
    The joy of travelling across a dangerous, misterious world in WoW is one of the things i miss the most in that game. Now everything's teleport, so lame.

By the way, the problem isn't that they're walking, the problem is that YOU'RE WATCHING SOMEONE PLAY INSTEAD OF DOING IT YOURSELF. I swear i feel old, what's wrong with people these days???
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited May 2016
    Bloodaxes said:

Might aswell play a lobby game. You won't have to waste time moving in the game's world.
    You answer your own boggling.

"have to wast time moving".

Some want to play a game, Others want to "waste time moving in the game's world" (can be called watching a "simulator").

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Bloodaxes said:

Some want to play a game, Others want to "waste time moving in the game's world" (can be called watching a "simulator").

I think it comes down to the world vs game argument again.

Some players want to be immersed in a world and some want to play a game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Bloodaxes said:

Play a lobby based game then.

MMORPG stands for Massively not let's teleport everywhere because I can't be arsed to spend 5 minutes to reach x.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    BDO is perfect without instant travel...

Instant travel shrinks the world, and doesn't contribute to PVP at all... same with all kinds of "flying mounts"
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited May 2016
    Watch Black desert online. Most streamers on twitch spend 70% of their time walking to the destination ingame.

Some even play hearthstone while their toon is riding horse. some not even on the computer.

No fast travel is a waste of time, anti insta fun and boring.

its fun when u want to explore the world for the 1st time. watching the the area. but its very boring when u repeat the same area 1000 times.

I think every mmorpg should have fast travel.

I absolutely disagree 100%

The ONLY type of fast travel that I wouldn't mind seeing again because it was done right is similar to that of Everquests Druid and Wizard portals.  Put the game back on the players and the community.  These MMO's have been moving further and further away from a community style game to an anti-social game and its killing the genre as a whole.

Allowing other forms of fast travel absolutely kills the sense that there's a game world you're in.  Oh, and while you're at it, remove flying mounts as well.  Ground mounts makes the world feel large