Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch will be the game to push Esports into the mainstream

Comments

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    filmoret said:
    "No building in overwatch and playstyles are very limited"

I think that is appealing; generally when you have a ton to choose from, it offers you many different builds and options. The problem may be in that very mechanic. I can't tell how many times I've seen players simply look up the build strategy of 'number crunchers', apply said strategy (completely bypassing the experimentation of building abilities) only to rely on their ability to react and strategize while in game and become very successful. 

I hear all the time "well this pro builds this way, so that's what I'm going to do".

I'm glad they took the build option out, now I can jump in, play, and let my instincts take over. The minute they put in build options, I'm out.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    E-sports doesn't have a chance until it drops the "e-sports" label.   I'm not sure what would be the best route, but as long as the industry chooses to stick with that label; it will be difficult to gain mass appeal.
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Here is where eSports are now:

Its going to take technological advancements, years of exciting players that make legends, and better games. Overwatch is merely one step in the right direction...We've got a long ways to go, but its ok, video games are young yet.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Mainstream to me means getting mentioned o nteh 6 o'clock news or in local newspapers.  I don't see Overwatch crossing that barrier.  Hell, even the UFC isn't quit there
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    spikers14 said:

Its going to take technological advancements, years of exciting players that make legends, and better games. Overwatch is merely one step in the right direction...We've got a long ways to go, but its ok, video games are young yet.

It isn't even close that picture.   If esports is to go mainstream, then it needs to lose the shackles of the internet, and spread more widely into local communities.  Even at the time of that picture cities and/or groups of people were coming together to form teams.   
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Also, eSports needs a sense of humor. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    spikers14 said:
    Also, eSports needs a sense of humor. 
    regular Sports did get that until the 90s me thinks

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    spikers14 said:

Yeah, these legends are exactly the same....

An eAthlete will never be an alpha, no matter how you try to manipulate the language.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think this is the game that will finally do it. It's highly watchable, commentating easy to follow, highly competitive, shooter with a big name behind it. This will be the game to push Esports into the mainstream.
    only thing overwatch will do is the heavy marketing blizzard is making, they are even making figurines of the champions already, I almost wish everything they do will be for nothing and blizzard will just get a huge loss on this all, but toomany fan boys around to let that happen.

and for the game himself, with the heavy marketing is the least showed, is weak and boring, plus you have the entrance price with others mobas don't.
    The adult store is selling life sized dolls of Widowmaker, D.va, and Pharah already....
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

An eAthlete will never be an alpha, no matter how you try to manipulate the language.

alpha? what the F are you even talking about?

regardless I would rather fly a plane built by the guys below then the guy above so there is that problem

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

regardless I would rather fly a plane built by the guys below then the guy above so there is that problem
    You know exactly what I'm talking about. There are hundreds of examples of legends and heroes in our history that we aspire to be. Not one of them uses an inhaler or fists hotpockets.

Excuse me, but eAthletes are not going to be the next gladiators of our time. There are 7 billion people in the world. The amount of people that buy into this, is a drop in the bucket.

But, I somewhat agree with the second part, to an extent. However, there are some pretty stupid people that play MMOs that are not as smart as they try to make everyone to believe. So, it's pretty misleading.

Further, some would prefer to design a plane in an office. Others, want to be the test pilot.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

You know exactly what I'm talking about. There are hundreds of examples of legends and heroes in our history that we aspire to be. Not one of them uses an inhaler or fists hotpockets.

Excuse me, but eAthletes are not going to be the next gladiators of our time. There are 7 billion people in the world. The amount of people that buy into this, is a drop in the bucket.

But, I somewhat agree with the second part, to an extent. However, there are some pretty stupid people that play MMOs that are not as smart as they try to make everyone to believe. So, it's pretty misleading.
    ok look before we get off into debating who and what is Alpha I want to make it clear that on average jocks often morons who can barely tie their shoe and would only be 'alphas' during the time when most people lived on farms. so how about we dont even start?

• mfruskomfrusko Member UncommonPosts: 20
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

But, I somewhat agree with the second part, to an ext
    ok look before we get off into debating who and what is Alpha I want to make it clear that on average jocks often morons who can barely tie their shoe and would only be 'alphas' during the time when most people lived on farms. so how about we dont even start?
    I'm hoping you're joking and not being serious with that jock comment but since you seem to be a pretty negative influence on these forums I'll go with serious. Most of the "jocks" I know are really nice intelligent people. We're Canadian so maybe your average jock is a bit different than ours.
    mfrusko said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

I'm hoping you're joking and not being serious with that jock comment but since you seem to be a pretty negative influence on these forums I'll go with serious. Most of the "jocks" I know are really nice intelligent people. We're Canadian so maybe your average jock is a bit different than ours.
    actually I am. The default assumption that Michael Jordon (as an example) is a good role model for children is complete horseshit. That is not to say esports is any better but come on 'role models in sports?' you have got to be on crack

SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

I don't find that offensive or off-topic at all, so have at it.

There's much to admire about people that provide our food, pioneer unexplored land, sea, and space. Those who fight wars throughout history and doing all the dangerous things, are why we are here today. Yes, the warrior mentality has been replaced, by sports. Wasn't that the point of the Olympics in Ancient Greece?

To compare gaming to those people, is a joke. There is literally no comparison. People have always admired big, dumb, alpha males doing dangerous and heroic things all throughout history. I don't ever see this changing.

Jamming your sausage fingers into the 1-2-3 keys faster than the other guy, is neither heroic nor dangerous. And Indiana Jonas would have made a terrible movie. See the difference of what people want?

I absolutely hate people that want something without working for it (titles, results, etc..). So, I have to laugh at this whole "eSport" agenda, along with "eAthletes". It just sounds like betas wanting the fame, but without any of the hard work. Wait a second, that sums up modern MMORPGs.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Kyleran said:
    The day I'm in my favorite "Sports Bar" and they turn just one of their 25 or so screens to an eSport match is the day I'll say such games are mainstream.
    This  ^
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Oh wow...once again we have an asshat discussion going on about nothing....

/SMH

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

I don't find that offensive or off-topic at all, so have at it.

There's much to admire about people that provide our food, pioneer unexplored land, sea, and space. Those who fight wars throughout history and doing all the dangerous things, are why we are here today. Yes, the warrior mentality has been replaced, by sports. Wasn't that the point of the Olympics in Ancient Greece?

To compare gaming to those people, is a joke. There is literally no comparison. People have always admired big, dumb, alpha males doing dangerous and heroic things all throughout history. I don't ever see this changing.

Jamming your sausage fingers into the 1-2-3 keys faster than the other guy, is neither heroic nor dangerous. And Indiana Jonas would have made a terrible movie. See the difference of what people want?

I absolutely hate people that want something without working for it (titles, results, etc..). So, I have to laugh at this whole "eSport" agenda, along with "eAthletes". It just sounds like betas wanting the fame, but without any of the hard work. Wait a second, that sums up modern MMORPGs.
    I have always found it deeply insulting to myself and to society as a whole to suggest sports figures are or even should be 'role models'. I understand others dont agree but I would perfer if people didnt assume that there are not people like myself that find it offensive.

should I have called them morons who cant tie shoes? likely not that was likely taking to far but I see that in our admiration in our culture as a very bad thing

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    When sports figures make more then, doctors, police, armed forces, theres a problem IMO.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Deltois said:
    When sports figures make more then, doctors, police, armed forces, theres a problem IMO.
    Definitely. 200% agreed.
    I agree they make too much money. I love sports especially the NBA but they are way overpaid.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    edited May 2016
    Rusque said:
    Mainstream meaning what here? Non-gamers who aren't interested in watching games will want to watch it?  DotA2 and LoL are pretty mainstream already, DotA2 International beat out the Superbowl, and yes that's US vs International level competition, it's a lot of viewers.

That's not to say Overwatch won't be popular, but there's a question of where the "mainstream" threshold lies.
    Non gamers or folks who have never played a video game in there life were captured by World of Warcraft. I know a handful of them in real life. Look at where they game is now.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • mfruskomfrusko Member UncommonPosts: 20
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    mfrusko said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

actually I am. The default assumption that Michael Jordon (as an example) is a good role model for children is complete horseshit. That is not to say esports is any better but come on 'role models in sports?' you have got to be on crack
    Niklas Lidstrom, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic... to name a few, I might be showing my Canadian a bit with  these names but they carried themselves with absolute class while playing and did tons for their respective communities through charity work etc etc. Yzerman was a personal role model for me. I do agree with your Jordan comment, but for every bad role model in sports there are quite a few good ones, it's just their actions receive less attention than the athletes with negative publicity. 
    Athletes do get paid way too much money though as some people are mentioning. 
    I'm fine with people who might not think athletes aren't role models, but when you think the average athlete is a moron who can't tie their shoelaces, well that seems a bit like you're on crack if you truly believe that.  Either way, I hope your day and your life gets a bit better for you.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited May 2016
    Deltois said:
    Definitely. 200% agreed.
    Morally, I definitely agree here.

Unfortunately, it's not a problem with the figures themselves, though they, many times, suffer insult for it (not speaking to you, personally, but in general).  They only make what they do due to the high demand the general world population places on watching them perform.

As an aside: I would say Aaron Rodgers is a great role model for kids: humble, hard-working, and successful.  Brett Favre is another (though I wouldn't want my kids to emulate his "I'm retiri- no one more year!" phase).  :p

However, when I see someone like Lebron "King" James displaying excessive hubris or Johnny Manziel wasting his physical talent for partying, I cringe for the rest of the world's athletes who are trying to be positive influences.

SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    NorseGod said:
    spikers14 said:

I have always found it deeply insulting to myself and to society as a whole to suggest sports figures are or even should be 'role models'. I understand others dont agree but I would perfer if people didnt assume that there are not people like myself that find it offensive.

should I have called them morons who cant tie shoes? likely not that was likely taking to far but I see that in our admiration in our culture as a very bad thing
    I agree to an extent. On an individual basis, I think some physical feats are pretty amazing and credit should be given.

I don't follow team sports. I'm that guy who gets to hear, "What?! You didn't see the game last night?!". I would rather play than watch other men run around in spandex.

There is a pretty evil motive as to why team sports are what they are today. It was pushed and written about in 1912.

However, the fact is, people admire  fighter pilots, cowboys, and jocks because of the physical feats, danger to life, bravery, honor, and glory. To name a few.

I think it's hypocritical to state that "jocks are morons", yet manipulate terms to "technically" be among them by pushing eSports in an attempt to join the alpha circle. Let's face it, that is what this whole eSport charade is all about. Nobody outside of gaming is going to buy into this fantasy. That is a fact and what makes your statement hypocritical.

My point has been, yes, there are some people that enjoy watching a chess tournament. More people watch football. People watch NASCAR, not just because it's fun watching cars drive in a circle really fast, but because people want to see wrecks and yeah, for people to die.

In contrast, eSports will never be mainstream. eAthletes won't be marrying supermodels and getting paid millions. Because the majority of 7 billion people will not want to watch betas tap on a keyboard. 

I believe the differences between alphas and betas and the natural attraction over the other are directly related to whether or not eSports will be mainstream. There is nothing wrong with being one or the other. Betas calculate things. Alphas go do it. Nothing will change that.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    NorseGod said:

I think it's hypocritical to state that "jocks are morons", yet manipulate terms to "technically" be among them by pushing eSports in an attempt to join the alpha circle. 

I agree with the hypocrisy mentioned.  To reach the level at which you are paid so many millions generally requires the intelligence to understand opposing team's strategies and schemes as well as your own.  In general, athletes will also memorize an individual opponent's strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, etc. in order to more effectively respond to that opponent.  I don't see anything moronical about that.

I'd be willing to bet that the average NFL quarterback could very successfully learn a much more technical profession if they wished to apply themselves to it.  Linemen, too.