Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch will be the game to push Esports into the mainstream

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    I think this is the game that will finally do it. It's highly watchable, commentating easy to follow, highly competitive, shooter with a big name behind it. This will be the game to push Esports into the mainstream.
    e-sports are already very much mainstream. 

Just not in the western counttries
    Can you be specific?
    not fully no.

but I do know that in Asia e-sports is crazy huge, as in more people watch the tournaments then people watch the superbowl. However to be fair in asia gaming itself is as mainstream as reality TV is here

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I think this is the game that will finally do it. It's highly watchable, commentating easy to follow, highly competitive, shooter with a big name behind it. This will be the game to push Esports into the mainstream.

Can you be specific?
    not fully no.

but I do know that in Asia e-sports is crazy huge, as in more people watch the tournaments then people watch the superbowl. However to be fair in asia gaming itself is as mainstream as reality TV is here
    Well, this is a 3 year old article but it is informative:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2036844/why-gamers-in-asia-are-the-worlds-best-esport-athletes.html
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Can you be specific?
    not fully no.

It's also normal for Asian MMOs to have over 10+ million active players, there are a dozen of them. Though their quality is arguably much worse than Western MMOs.

Everything seems more popular in Asia, because there is so many of them. 60% of the World's population is in Asia. North America + Europe have what, only 18%?
    josko9 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Can you be specific?
    not fully no.

It's also normal for Asian MMOs to have over 10+ million active players, there are a dozen of them. Though their quality is arguably much worse than Western MMOs.

Everything seems more popular in Asia, because there is so many of them. 60% of the World's population is in Asia. North America + Europe have what, only 18%?
    which is why I said 'esports is already mainstream just not in the western states'. not sure why everyone is asking and discussing that statement so much maybe they got confused

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

MMO's - Were young players first learn how acquiring epic loot increases their e-peen size.

E-Sports - Where those e-peen warriors go when they get older.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I thought Starcraft was.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    I thought Starcraft was.
    oh for the love of

Dota 2 tournaments gets more viewers than the super bowl. 

Now is that all tournaments combined? I think so. is that over time? i dont know, either way its a lot of pepoles

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tiller said:
    I thought Starcraft was.
    oh for the love of

Not even remotely close to true.  I think sometimes you pull figures out of your ass that sound good.

Super Bowl 50 had over 110 Million Viewers.

The 2014 Dota tournament had 20 Million Viewers. If you're telling me they picked up an additional 90 million viewers one year later, then holy shitballs.

The last LoL tournament had 36 Million Viewers.
    edited May 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tiller said:
    I thought Starcraft was.
    oh for the love of

Not even remotely close to true.  I think sometimes you pull figures out of your ass that sound good.

The 2014 Dota tournament had 20 Million Viewers. If you're telling me they picked up an additional 90 million viewers one year later, then holy shitballs.

maybe it was esport tournaments per year maybe I got the exact quote wrong but the quote came from gabe newel I will try to find it for you

cant find it in enough time for it to hold my attention i need to move on. I think it might have been more than the World Series. regardless 20 million and 36 million is a lot. if you like compare that to other things in pop culture like the most popular TV shows etc.

SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tiller said:
    I thought Starcraft was.
    oh for the love of

maybe it was esport tournaments per year maybe I got the exact quote wrong but the quote came from gabe newel I will try to find it for you
    Even if it's an aggregate figure of all the tournaments combined, then it's still the majority of the same people watching each tournament.  

111 million people in America sat down and watched a single sport that's only popular in America!  That's five times the viewership of a single eSport.  Not to mention the prize money is a goddamn joke.  A single Quarterback makes 3x what they earn, and that's on a shitty team like the Browns and they don't have to split it across half a dozen players and a manager who probably takes half up front.

I bet the Soccer viewership across the world makes eSports look silly in comparison.  Pat 'em on the head like "nice try kid" kinda silly.  Oh wait, yes, here are the figures.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Until I see a Gatorade commercial from an esports game I'm not convinced :p

Just kidding -_-
    I was watching a Starcraft tourney on Twitch in Korea a couple weeks ago.  There were lots of commercials for food and stuff.  Nothing western like Gaterade though.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Cecropia said:
    NorseGod said:
    The word "ESports" makes me laugh. Are there "EAthletes"? Are their body types "EAthletic"? LMAO
    It's up there with some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. 

Sorry gamers, your little video game will never be a sport. 
    I think the plan is to be relevant to normal people. As in, the billions of people living outside their basement.

Unless, they are planning to pick up eChicks at the eBar, they will be laughed at.  Bad news eAthletes, they can see you.

Chick at Bar: So, what do you do?

eAthlete: I play professional sports.

Chick at Bar: Wow, which sport do you play?

eAthelete: Enough about me, let's talk about you.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tiller said:
    I thought Starcraft was.
    oh for the love of

Even if it's an aggregate figure of all the tournaments combined, then it's still the majority of the same people watching each tournament.  

111 million people in America sat down and watched a single sport that's only popular in America!  That's five times the viewership of a single eSport.  Not to mention the prize money is a goddamn joke.  A single Quarterback makes 3x what they earn, and that's on a shitty team like the Browns and they don't have to split it across half a dozen players and a manager who probably takes half up front.

I bet the Soccer viewership across the world makes eSports look silly in comparison.  Pat 'em on the head like "nice try kid" kinda silly.  Oh wait, yes, here are the figures.
    oh for the love of god ok Gabe Newel is a liar, just take those numbers 20 million and 36 million and go look up your favorite shows on TV and compare.

please dont make me do it for you.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    NorseGod said:
    Cecropia said:
    NorseGod said:
    The word "ESports" makes me laugh. Are there "EAthletes"? Are their body types "EAthletic"? LMAO
    It's up there with some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. 

Sorry gamers, your little video game will never be a sport. 
    I think the plan is to be relevant to normal people. As in, the billions of people living outside their basement.

Unless, they are planning to pick up eChicks at the eBar, they will be laughed at.  Bad news eAthletes, they can see you.

Very funny, made me laugh a lot thanks.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Overwatch will push esports into the mainstream.... at least that is what Blizzard is dreaming of.

Seeing the outrageous success of LoL and Dota2, Overwatch is now supposed to end Kotick's nightmares of not getting a chunk from that cake. And to get revenge on Ghostcrawler for commiting high treason and joining Riot Games.

The many attempts to push WoW arenas into the esports sector failed hard. I guess changing the game in order to get all the soccermoms and 10yr olds playing and then expecting them to carry WoW-arenas into esports wasn't the smartest plan in first place.

So now it shall be Overwatch, but my bet is the mainstream will once again prove Blizzard otherwise.

Oh, and then there is also this:
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/19/valve-is-preparing-team-fortress-2-for-esports/

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Until I see a Gatorade commercial from an esports game I'm not convinced :p

Just kidding -_-
    I was watching a Starcraft tourney on Twitch in Korea a couple weeks ago.  There were lots of commercials for food and stuff.  Nothing western like Gaterade though.
    I was totally kidding but never know :)

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Tiller said:
    I thought Starcraft was.
    oh for the love of

oh for the love of god ok Gabe Newel is a liar, just take those numbers 20 million and 36 million and go look up your favorite shows on TV and compare.

please dont make me do it for you.
    First of all you made the claim and you didn't attribute it to Gabe Newell.  I countered your claim and you call someone else a liar for making it, but can't provide the evidence they said it.  That's pretty damn disingenuous if you ask me.

Also, I never make anyone do my research for me.  As a graduate student, I do all of my own research for all of my papers.  Including the one that I finished today for my International Business class on Secular and Theocratic Totalitarianism.  I love research.

But since you want me to research your claims for you, I'll be happy to.  Let's take a look at the viewership ratings for Television shows for last year in comparison.  As you can see here, Sunday Night Football pulls in an average of 20,812 million viewers every Sunday.  The Big Bang Theory pulls in 19,053 million viewers per episode. In fact, the top six shows on TV have a weekly viewership of either more than a single Dota tournament, or close to 90% of the viewers.

Granted, the last LoL tournament had 36 million viewers, which is only 16 million more than a single episode of The Big Bang Theory.  So lets think about that for a second.  A show in it's ninth season is pulling in 60% of the viewers on a weekly basis that a single tournament pulls in once a year.

eSports are about as mainstream as your precious VR headsets... they aren't.  More to the point, Overwatch isn't going to generate any larger numbers than Dota and LoL are currently generating.  If you want to know why, then refer to my first post in this thread.  It's a cultural issue.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

MMO's - Were young players first learn how acquiring epic loot increases their e-peen size.

E-Sports - Where those e-peen warriors go when they get older.

Forums - where they go when they are even older and grumpier? ;)
    Bah!

Kids....
    edited May 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    rant
    take 36 million and go look up your favorite shows and compare the viewership or do not respond to this message.

peroid

AMC's The Walking Dead, pulled in 19.9 million viewers.
    took like 3 mins
    http://www.tvinsider.com/article/1989/top-50-tv-shows-2014-2015-highest-rated-winners-and-losers/

SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    rant
    take 36 million and go look up your favorite shows and compare the viewership or do not respond to this message.

peroid

took like 3 mins
    http://www.tvinsider.com/article/1989/top-50-tv-shows-2014-2015-highest-rated-winners-and-losers/
    Yes, one episode of a weekly, routine TV show pulled in eighty percent(!) of the viewership of a single annual tournament.  Boy that's sure mainstream.
    edited May 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    rant

peroid

took like 3 mins
    Yes, one episode of a weekly, routine TV show pulled in eighty percent(!) of the viewership of a single annual tournament.  Boy that's sure mainstream.
    Here is a more sports specific exmaple:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/instantawesome-leagueoflegends-141201/league-legends-championships-watched-more-people-nba-finals-world-series-clinchers

people arouind here spend WAY to much time hyper focusing on small details and completely overlooks the whole point that the example was trying to illustrate. we dont need a 'super bowl example' we can just take the numbers and find other things similar, like world series games in the link

really gets old as ballz

20 million, like how many xbox ones there are, is mainstream, just not in the US

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The day I'm in my favorite "Sports Bar" and they turn just one of their 25 or so screens to an eSport match is the day I'll say such games are mainstream.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Game is easy to follow? I guess this is personal preference, but from my perspective, the game borders on causing epilepsy when I'm viewing it. Everything in this game is super twitchy, probably the most twitchy combat i've seen from an FPS game. That, combined with all the crap all over the sceen, the over dramatic skill animations and the constant jumping around of characters and I have no clue what you feel is "easy to watch" about Overwatch.

In regards to this being the game to push Esports into mainstream, I disagree in every way possible. Not counting what I said above, because that could just be me (Which doesn't seem to be the case from others). I feel Overwatch will produce mild interest. It will most likely see some Esport tournaments here and there (Fully supported by the fact that blizzard is throwing all kinds of advertising money at this game), but it will never even come close to the success that CS, LoL, Dota and SC have (had).

A game that is going to change the mind of the American public that video games aren't for prepubescent beta males who live in their basement isn't going to be a game that was designed specifically with these people in mind.
  • iGumballStariGumballStar Member UncommonPosts: 106
    edited May 2016
    Alot of people don't seem to realize how popular Dota 2 and LoL actually are. LoL players already get paid with contracts up to one million dollars with games played in some of the most prestigious arenas in the US. Just last week, Schalke 04 (a german football club), entered the League of Legends scene with its' own team and shared their interest of hosting games in their football arena. People like Shaq have invested in LoL teams and Rick Fox owns his own team.

I doubt you will see overwatch hosted in the Staples center anytime soon.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited May 2016
    NorseGod said:

eAthlete: Oh, it's pretty famous, and so am i, 8 figures famous :)

a pretty big chunk of chicks are gonna let let slide whatever the name of the sport is after they compute the dozen million you earn.

and after a few years when it gets around which eSport gives how many $ figures and which teams are top earners, suddenly by the power of social interaction magic, everyone's gonna know the teams and even ask you hey,hey do you play in that team maybe(you know the one that everyone earns 50 million at, ...)