Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many Have not Backed the game with Kickstarter?

xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
I like the concept of the game and I think everything they have on paper looks great. The problems is I would have hoped to have seen more gameplay footage to shell out money for development. I would like to see a game like this succeed. But if makes you wonder whether the combat will be good or bland. All that any of us have seen thus far is the PAX east video, and that't it. I wish they would have came with more gameplay footage before coming to kickstarter to ask for money. I think a lot of people are going to put their money into this and be severely disappointed in the final product they receive. 

It's great that they posted new screenshots of images, but I want to see actual game combat against mobs, pvp etc. Until then, they are just taking people's money away on a dream. Does anyone else feel the same way and have not backed kickstarter because of the lack of gameplay footage? 

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

Comments

• JonrilusJonrilus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    xion12121 said:
    I like the concept of the game and I think everything they have on paper looks great. The problems is I would have hoped to have seen more gameplay footage to shell out money for development. I would like to see a game like this succeed. But if makes you wonder whether the combat will be good or bland. All that any of us have seen thus far is the PAX east video, and that't it. I wish they would have came with more gameplay footage before coming to kickstarter to ask for money. I think a lot of people are going to put their money into this and be severely disappointed in the final product they receive. 

It's great that they posted new screenshots of images, but I want to see actual game combat against mobs, pvp etc. Until then, they are just taking people's money away on a dream. Does anyone else feel the same way and have not backed kickstarter because of the lack of gameplay footage? 

So actually you want to see the game developed before you'd consider helping finance its development.  In other words, you're against the idea of Kickstarter in general.  That's a tenable position, just accept that others don't see things the same way.

J
  • MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Kickstarter is what has been fueling all these quick half baked games, once they get there cash most quit.
    I refuse to add to the masses of half arsed games.

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116
    edited May 2016
    I personally dont give money to someone to make a game.  Most of the best games ever made never required kickstarter to accomplish. Why all the sudden do so many games require being kickstarted?

Games should make money based on their merit of being a good game not on hopes that they may be a good game.

Its ridiculous and stupid IMO

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    If Kickstarter was an actual investment platform, where I could reap  returns other than the product itself, i'd put money into kickstarters. But it isn't, its basically a pre-order service where the game might not even ship. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Nothing against CoE in particular, but I don't pre-order, I don't contribute to Kickstarters, I don't buy season passes... I don't give anyone any money whatsoever unless they can prove the quality of their product first.

Overwatch, for instance, is the first game I've pre-ordered in years.  After playing the Beta I was legitimately, and completely impressed enough to want the pre-order trinkets and I felt that it was worth full box price.

Prove your product and I'll buy it.  If you have a product that you want me to believe in before you can fully prove it, then I'll consider legitimately investing with a return on profits, but I sure as shit ain't throwing money at people for promises.  Well, 'cept my wife, but she's got my full trust after 17 years of marriage.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I supported this on Kickstarter, and if I had more money I would increase my pledge here as well as pledge for other games. Kickstarter is a platform for small studios to get funding to make a game without the interference of a publishing company. Most publishers want to invest in games they think have a good chance at a quick return on their investment. The problem I see with this is that we get the same kinds of games over and over. How many MMOs released in the last 10 years have a strong resemblance to WoW? Its because WoW made buckets of cash, so publishers will back games that are similar because theres a good chance they will bring in a return on investment. Publishers dont usually take big risks, therefore games like CoE(and others) have a hard time finding a publisher to invest. Some of the little studio games do find publishers and then have core concepts and features changed and you end up with a finished game that doesnt look like the initial idea.

Is it a risk? Hell yeah. Will I be disappointed if it fails or never gets released? Oh most certainly. But, if no one is willing to take the risk then we, the gamers, will be stuck with the same games we get now.

Not supporting a Kickstarter is fine and I understand it just fine. What I dont understand is calling people or the idea of supporting Kickstarter stupid or ridiculous. Its a personal choice based on a persons values and ideas. Why try and discourage people from doing something you disagree with?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Looking at this game I am not even sure its one I'd play for free, more or less back with KS funds.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Deffcon_1 said:
    I supported this on Kickstarter, and if I had more money I would increase my pledge here as well as pledge for other games. Kickstarter is a platform for small studios to get funding to make a game without the interference of a publishing company. Most publishers want to invest in games they think have a good chance at a quick return on their investment. The problem I see with this is that we get the same kinds of games over and over. How many MMOs released in the last 10 years have a strong resemblance to WoW? Its because WoW made buckets of cash, so publishers will back games that are similar because theres a good chance they will bring in a return on investment. Publishers dont usually take big risks, therefore games like CoE(and others) have a hard time finding a publisher to invest. Some of the little studio games do find publishers and then have core concepts and features changed and you end up with a finished game that doesnt look like the initial idea.

Is it a risk? Hell yeah. Will I be disappointed if it fails or never gets released? Oh most certainly. But, if no one is willing to take the risk then we, the gamers, will be stuck with the same games we get now.

Not supporting a Kickstarter is fine and I understand it just fine. What I dont understand is calling people or the idea of supporting Kickstarter stupid or ridiculous. Its a personal choice based on a persons values and ideas. Why try and discourage people from doing something you disagree with?
    A good portion of big companies and investors do not have a issue investing in something that you can prove you can finish. It is when you approach them with nothing more then a interesting idea with no way of actually making it that the problems start.

If the CoE dev's had the experience and a cohesive design then they also would not have any issues finding a publisher, investor or anything in between. The problem is they have not shown at all that they can even pull off what they are pitching. At that stage of course no investor or publisher is going to sing money into an extremely high risk project.  It's more or less like buying a lottery ticket at this stage. Or trying to shoot a bird in the dark with no light.

I love the idea that CoE is pitching and I hope they can pull it off. But I won't partake in something that has such a huge risk with extremely little reward to it at this stage.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Deffcon_1 said:
    What I dont understand is calling people or the idea of supporting Kickstarter stupid or ridiculous.
    Because - no offense intended, it is.

Why would you fund some healthy, likely educated individual in productive age with no material need at all?
    Why would you take the burdens of someone's business venture instead?
    Why would you support a business without having any idea of their business plan and finance?
    Why would you support a business without having any clues to evaluate whether the team can actually pull off any of what they are promising?
    Why would you give out money to someone who makes a fool of you?

The list can go on and on...

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    xion12121 said:

PvP footage:

Environment and some moving around in it: 

and of course the Pax East footage you mention but i'm placing for reference: 

We don't currently have anything from mobs just yet.  This is an interesting thread, but i'm not sure I understand the reasoning. There could be a multitude of reasons someone doesn't back.  Lack of money, lack of interests in a product, lack of interest in kickstarters in general, lack of interest in the team/ideals.  However your thread seems to be more about (and this has been talked about several times in other threads) the idea that what they have can't be pulled off. The problem is you'll get the same general answer (as nothing has changed since then) that they did.

Some believe the product can't be done with the funds/time available. Some are starting to believe the team is just trying to run off with the money. Others (like me) think that the team will pull off the basics but not much more. While others believe that the team will pull off what they say they will and on time.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    whilan said:

Some believe the product can't be done with the funds/time available. Some are starting to believe the team is just trying to run off with the money. Others (like me) think that the team will pull off the basics but not much more. While others believe that the team will pull off what they say they will and on time.
    I'm in the first group, but the non-logical part of me is the one that makes me pledge not once but twice to the Kickstarter.  

Still two weeks to change my mind though.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited May 2016
     Changed my mind not posting here 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I will back it when it is finished. 
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    pantheron said:
    If Kickstarter was an actual investment platform, where I could reap  returns other than the product itself, i'd put money into kickstarters. But it isn't, its basically a pre-order service where the game might not even ship. 

Yeh, wish someone would come up with a mutual fund concept that interested people could buy into. To help someone build a gold mine, a copy of a game and some virtual plushies just isn't enough.

As far as CoE, I backed and then pulled out when they funded. The more I read, the more I realized the game is not for me and when they  funded decided they didn't need my money, especially for something I have my doubts about. Good luck to the devs and the backers, but yeh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    fig.jpg 196.9K

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Never backed a kickstarter project, never will. I'm a consumer, not an investor/charity. Show me a good, finished product and I'll buy if I'm interested.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

"Never backed a kickstarter project, never will. I'm a consumer, not an investor/charity. Show me a good, finished product and I'll buy if I'm interested. "

Mainstream developers and publishers are not making the games I am interested in. For the past 10 years games have been stuck in a rut and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

So I either don't play anything or I choose to spend MY money by  kickstarting Indie developers by investing in their projects.  

I would much rather spend my money on things I am passionate about then other 'stuff' and it baffles me why anyone thinks they have the right to comment on what I spend my money on.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Never backed a kickstarter campaign and never will.  I have donated money to smaller developers in the past, with the idea that it was a donation.  I have even preordered games from companies that have shown they can deliver what they say, but that only comes after I have already seen they can do it. 

Kickstarters are not investments as you get no monetary value from them, unless you are equating your free time with money.  Give me a playable demo and I may consider donating money to a developer.  But don't come to me and say I got this great idea, give me your money so I can do it.  Put some time into it, develop something I can see, then ask.

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    @blueturtle13 ; Thanks for that, bookmarked!
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    xion12121 said:

Gameplay footage from early access of the Black Death gives a good idea what CoE will look and feel like at least during alpha tests. The Black Death is one of the other Unreal Engine 4 games in development which aim to become MMOs in the future.

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I won't back anything until it's at a playable beta stage.  I understand developers need the money early on to help fund the project and the extra money buys extra developers which buys quicker turnaround time but too many people have gotten burned through Kickstarter for me to do this crap early on anymore.  I'm not sure where this game stands in terms of its playability right now but to give an example I'm on the verge of biting on Camelot Unchained in the coming months as it goes into beta.  Prior to, I was just watching the updates and being hopefully optimistic, but not forking out my money to be left in utter disappointment. 
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Yanocchi said:
    xion12121 said:

The Black Death is one of the other Unreal Engine 4 games in development which aim to become MMOs in the future.

All the time i run across kickstarter games that want to become mmos, but when you look at their demos they are always in some single-player middleware like unity, unreal or cry that have very limited to no multiplayer capacity and usually rely on the middlewares stock graphical fidelity to entice gamers.

it takes mere hours to build unity scenes, And thats apparently enough to get general gamers throwing money at projects. go figure. 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    edited May 2016
      To get the games you people are asking for with the level of development passion and quality your going to have to invest, or shut up and wait and let those who are investing show you that there are still passionate non wow clone developers out there. Its expensive and time consuming to implement new features and ideas that arent clones not everyone has the budget and pre games Blizzard had to piggy back off of financially. SB studios already has at least 10 years in background development on this game but its a complicated venture and they dont want investers getting in and making demands for change to speed things up and get their return.

Think about how much money they would require from an invester if they were to rush the game, your talking about having them give up probably over 30% control maybe more. And in my opinion that is when you should be worried about not receiving whats advertised. Or maybe you guys are just looking for an NA half cocked version of BDO LOL.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Rasiem said:
      Think about how much money they would require from an invester if they were to rush the game, your talking about having them give up probably over 30% control maybe more. And in my opinion that is when you should be worried about not receiving whats advertised.
    Maybe thats exactly what we need now publishers to tell developers that what they are asking is neither feasible through resources or time so we don't get these decade long projects like star citizen that may or may nor ship or be feature complete?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Yanocchi said:
    xion12121 said:

Gameplay footage from early access of the Black Death gives a good idea what CoE will look and feel like at least during alpha tests. The Black Death is one of the other Unreal Engine 4 games in development which aim to become MMOs in the future.

Ya it also has horrible reviews and already left a horrid taste in peoples mouths because its not ready for public view. First impressions are most important and that holds true here for sure.