Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 9 Races of Terminus

BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978
The team has assembled a really nice and diverse selection of races, to include those we are most familiar with. I've been impressed with the amount of backstory the races have and just the general lore of the game. In this outline I'm covering the highlights of the races and giving a little back story to each of them.

The 9 Races of Terminus

The Old Timers Guild
Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    In b4 Maquiame comes in with the fervor of an sjw and claims otherwise because humans are too white and don't have the diversity of humans on earth.

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Dullahan said:
    In b4 Maquiame comes in with the fervor of an sjw and claims otherwise because humans are too white and don't have the diversity of humans on earth.
    Be patient, erudites will be added later  >:) ...
  • BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978
    Dullahan said:
    Be patient, erudites will be added later  >:) ...
    I'm sure we'll see other races as the game progresses, but I'm pretty satisfied with what they're offering thus far.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    All the races concept art looks great. I love how the halflings look. I hope the 3D models do them justice. Soooo making one called Rufio. :D
    I was surprised to learn that there is a whole other continent that will be playable at release that hasn't been revealed yet.

It is Whitethaw, the frozen continent to the north.  Dwarves, Gnomes and Archai will have their starting cities there I believe. 

I went through the lore and compared it to the atlas and figured out what all of the playable races starting cities were yesterday.

I may end up playing an Archai.  The races do seem to be done really well.
  • BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978
    I was surprised to learn that there is a whole other continent that will be playable at release that hasn't been revealed yet.

It is Whitethaw, the frozen continent to the north.  Dwarves, Gnomes and Archai will have their starting cities there I believe. 

I went through the lore and compared it to the atlas and figured out what all of the playable races starting cities were yesterday.

It sounds like we're going to be in for a decent amount of content, which is really exciting. The gaming community has become a various consumer of content. It seems we don't always get that in the beginning which quickly leads people to burn out, but then again, it could be their game style to want to consume as much content as possible. I like my game a little more paced.

The Old Timers Guild
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Its a bit sad: no more jokes about how Gnomes are delicious.

Those have always been funny in Vanguard.

Why don't you think there will be gnome jokes?
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Archai – An entire race of Raiden from Mortal Kombat.  Looks interesting.  At least it’s not directly out of the Tolkien stable of races.

Dwaves – I take back what I just said.  Dwarves again.  Short, beardy, selfish, forged from the hands of a blacksmith god.  I was surprised to find out his name wasn’t Reorx.

Dark Myr – Tall, thin, almond shaped eyes.  Sooo, water elves that grow Mermaid tails, or myrmaid tails.  Not bad, at least it’s inventive and different.

Ogres – Orcs by another name.  Tusks protruding from lower jaw, militant, primitive society, easily angered.  Just go ahead and call them Orcs.

Humans – Pretty standard really.  Honestly I wouldn’t want a fantasy game without them, and it would be unwise to make a fantasy game without them.  Some people just want to be normal.

Halflings – Youthful exuberance, resolute spirit, make friends easily and loyal to a fault.  So basically Kender from Dragonlance.  Don’t really have a problem with that.  I love Kender.  Tasslehoff was super cool, completely unlike a certain acerbic individual I know by the same name.

Elves – But not just elves, because every game out there has to have two or more different types of elves.  This time we’re calling them Ashen and Ember Elves.  So wood and high elves, one defensive, the other offensive.  Beautiful, graceful, ageless, and worship a giant tree in a valley.  Not much here to differentiate them from the elves of all other games.

Gnomes – Creatures with no physical form inhabiting constructed bodies like some sort of thinking golem or avatar.  This is a complete departure from the typical gnome, at least until you get to the floating sky city.  I’m gonna be honest, I read their description three times and I’m still not sure what’s going on with them.

Skar – Blood for the Blood God!  Khorne gets an entire race of beings in this game.  I find the whole asexual, insect like, born of a single hive mother part of their race interesting.  This is finally another race that doesn’t ape some other standard game lore.

I guarantee there will still be gnome jokes.  They are still short.  Ogres are still fat and hungry.
    Because Gnomes are Golems in Pantheon ? Stone aint too tasty.

H0urg1ass said:

Ogres – Orcs by another name.  Tusks protruding from lower jaw, militant, primitive society, easily angered.  Just go ahead and call them Orcs.

Then lets also call all cats dogs, shall we not ? They are much the same, too.

Orcs are orcs and ogres are ogres. Just because you dont want to make the difference doesnt mean others would agree with you.

H0urg1ass said:

Skar – Blood for the Blood God!  Khorne gets an entire race of beings in this game.  I find the whole asexual, insect like, born of a single hive mother part of their race interesting.  This is finally another race that doesn’t ape some other standard game lore.

They are mostly trolls, really. Apart from the whole insectlike angle.

edited June 2016
    Because Gnomes are Golems in Pantheon ? Stone aint too tasty.

Just because they look different doesn't make them golems.  They aren't mindless beings controlled by a wizard.

The jokes will probably be about how they are extra crunchy.  I don't understand how you could think that changing their appearance would mean there wouldn't be gnome jokes?
    Post edited by TwoTubes on
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    BuzWeaver said:

It sounds like we're going to be in for a decent amount of content, which is really exciting. The gaming community has become a various consumer of content. It seems we don't always get that in the beginning which quickly leads people to burn out, but then again, it could be their game style to want to consume as much content as possible. I like my game a little more paced.
    A consumer of easily consumable solo content, which is the core of the problem.........
    Whatever.

Gnomes are not edible in PRotF, thats the whole point. Thus many standard jokes about them no longer work.