Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

12346

Comments

  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    When we say WoW, expectations jump though the roof. I just don't think the movie will live up to the hype. That comes from someone part of the group of gamers who aren't movie goers. I will watch this one, because I like Warcraft, but generally I don't watch tv or movies. I won't be surprised to see it flop, surpass expectations, or just be average though. I really have no guage for movies.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited May 2016
    I'm one of the "lucky" ones that has already seen the movie, and honestly it didn't justify the ticket price (6.50€ here). I would have rather torrented it. At least I'll know what to do if sequel ever comes. The reception at my cinema was also very poor, nearly nobody was impressed by it, even though Warcraft brought the most people.

    I mean the movie really isn't that bad, I've seen worse, however it's still very disappointing. I'd rate it at about 4.5/10, and that's coming from a Warcraft Lore fan. As for the "non-gamers" or people who don't know anything about Warcraft, this movie is pure garbage. 

    Mix between CGI and Action is very painfull. In some cases CGI is beautiful, in others it looks like it couldn't be worse. For example high elves look like barbie dolls, 95% of the orcs are copy-pasted and generic etc. Overall half of the time it feels like a cartoon, and the other half it looks like a very very cheap ripoff of GoT and Lotr.

    But the biggest letdown is probably the story and the pacing. It's just so easily forgetable. I've watched it in Thursday and I literally forgot nearly everything. I know that Blizzard's storytelling is terrible, but come on surely movie could have gotten a better one.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    edited May 2016
    I honestly don't know what to think. There is a lot of Blizzard fans who are going to see it. I know a lot of people who have never played Warcraft and are not gamers at all who are going to see it because it looks "cool".

    However, to be financially successful this movie needs to rake in a lot of money. Probably needs about $500m to break even. It has a massive budget.

    When I looked at the trailer, it looked incredible. At no point did it look cheap. Visually I am sure it will be amazing but the question is whether the story will hold up. But then again there are so many Blizzard fans that even if they are the only ones who see it, it may do well.

    If there is a game that can lead to a successful movie, it's Warcraft. There is not a single other game universe I can think of that has the pull of Warcraft.

    Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    DMKano said:
    With more reviews the score has declined further on rotten tomatoes - it's down to 20%.

    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/#contentReviews
    Should mention that the average rating is nearer 4/10, but Rotten Tomatoes measures the percentage of people who rate it negatively i.e. 20% = only 2/10 critiques rated it positively.

    This is important because a film that gets 6 people rating it at 48% and 4 rating it at 99%, and a film that gets 6 people rating it at 1% and 4 people rating it at 51% both get a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 40%.   


  • aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I won't go along with the critics. I will go and see it tonight here in the UK, and even though I did read a few of the non spoiler critiques, I will spend my money to support the movie because it needs to be given a chance to work. 

    I have played WoW on and off for 9 years and always thought that a movie should be done about it, but the lore is so complex that I know that movie must be condensed a bit to cater for non-WoW players. 

    I think this girl hits the mark when reviewing (non-spoilery), the movie.
    https://youtu.be/i1Y1QKd5KT8

    I guess that only yourself can judge the movie after watching it (but take my comment with a grain of salt, as I loved to watch movies like Super Man vs Batman, Jurassic Park, jebus, I even loved Jupiter Ascending), but I go and watch these movies to be entertained and pass the time not thinking about real life, in my book, if a movie makes me forget about the outside world for 2hrs, then it's a good movie. :3

    01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

  • aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited May 2016
    DMKano said:
    aeoleon said:
    I won't go along with the critics. I will go and see it tonight here in the UK, and even though I did read a few of the non spoiler critiques, I will spend my money to support the movie because it needs to be given a chance to work. 

    I have played WoW on and off for 9 years and always thought that a movie should be done about it, but the lore is so complex that I know that movie must be condensed a bit to cater for non-WoW players. 

    I think this girl hits the mark when reviewing (non-spoilery), the movie.
    https://youtu.be/i1Y1QKd5KT8

    I guess that only yourself can judge the movie after watching it (but take my comment with a grain of salt, as I loved to watch movies like Super Man vs Batman, Jurassic Park, jebus, I even loved Jupiter Ascending), but I go and watch these movies to be entertained and pass the time not thinking about real life, in my book, if a movie makes me forget about the outside world for 2hrs, then it's a good movie. :3


    I think it's important to point out that the movie is Warcraft, based on Orcs vs Humans Warcraft story. 

    It is NOT based on World of Warcraft MMORPG. 

    I wonder how many WoW players know this. 

    I understand this. I think the expectations for the movie are through the roof and everyone is jumping the gun when reviewing the trailer :expressionless: without watching the movie. 

    In my point of view, it will be a movie about war and an introduction to the world that is Warcraft (not WoW the Game movie). 

    I am excited to go and watch it and I am sure I will have fun as I like fantasy movies (even my partner who is not a gamer and knows nothing about Warcraft is excited to go and watch it. It's going to be nice to know the perspective of a non-gamer like him). 

    01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think the first option on the poll is going to be closest.  Although the population of gamers has increased we are still a niche community.  Doesn't look like any non gamers are going to like this movie at all.  And it looks like only a portion of gamers are going to like the movie.  Right now it does look like this movie is going to flop hard.  We will definately have a solid answer by the end of next month.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,063
    edited May 2016
    well the trailer looked pretty much garbage, so what do you expect?

  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    filmoret said:
    This topic does have me curious on how many people will watch this movie.  With the Lord of Rings popularity it makes me wonder if this movie will be a huge hit or how it will turn out.  What do you think will happen?
    It's Warcraft.  So it will have a ton of box office sales.  Plus, Ragnar from the Vikings is in it, so almost anyone who watches that show will likely be interested.  I don't think it will break any records, but I think Blizzard will certainly make it's money.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    @exile01 better erase that before the moderators get you that is grounds for punishment  cant advertise torrents here.

    DMKano said:
    aeoleon said:
    DMKano said:
    aeoleon said:
    I won't go along with the critics. I will go and see it tonight here in the UK, and even though I did read a few of the non spoiler critiques, I will spend my money to support the movie because it needs to be given a chance to work. 

    I have played WoW on and off for 9 years and always thought that a movie should be done about it, but the lore is so complex that I know that movie must be condensed a bit to cater for non-WoW players. 

    I think this girl hits the mark when reviewing (non-spoilery), the movie.
    https://youtu.be/i1Y1QKd5KT8

    I guess that only yourself can judge the movie after watching it (but take my comment with a grain of salt, as I loved to watch movies like Super Man vs Batman, Jurassic Park, jebus, I even loved Jupiter Ascending), but I go and watch these movies to be entertained and pass the time not thinking about real life, in my book, if a movie makes me forget about the outside world for 2hrs, then it's a good movie. :3


    I think it's important to point out that the movie is Warcraft, based on Orcs vs Humans Warcraft story. 

    It is NOT based on World of Warcraft MMORPG. 

    I wonder how many WoW players know this. 

    I understand this. I think the expectations for the movie are through the roof and everyone is jumping the gun when reviewing the trailer :expressionless: without watching the movie. 

    In my point of view, it will be a movie about war and an introduction to the world that is Warcraft (not WoW the Game movie). 

    I am excited to go and watch it and I am sure I will have fun as I like fantasy movies (even my partner who is not a gamer and knows nothing about Warcraft is excited to go and watch it. It's going to be nice to know the perspective of a non-gamer like him). 

    I think you have the right perspective to get the most enjoyment out of the movie.

    But even looking at this thread title "WoW movie" - I get a feeling that many don't realize it's not a WoW movie at all which will lead to further disappointment. 


    I don't think it matters that much.  WOW fans will realize the movie if based on the mmo will be in one of the time periods or its own separate story.  Because WOW was the sequel to Warcraft 3 it will share the same world.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    According to the media the movie is breaking records in my country. If you ask the people, nobody liked it.

    I'm going to see it today, but only because i got a ticket for 6.50. No way i would pay 12+ for this.
    At my place, it's almost shown in 3D everywhere. Only a very small local theater has it in 2D.

    image
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited May 2016
    Who cares what other thinks....I liked it and I give 0 interest of some neckbeard opinion

    I'm so seek of this hipster culture of critiques of people who never ever made never ever created but they have opinion on every thing and they they are the one know knows it better ....
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Volgore said:
    According to the media the movie is breaking records in my country. If you ask the people, nobody liked it.

    I'm going to see it today, but only because i got a ticket for 6.50. No way i would pay 12+ for this.
    At my place, it's almost shown in 3D everywhere. Only a very small local theater has it in 2D.
    I don't understand that either. According to the media, Warcraft broke records in my country as well, yet on it's first day it was played at 17:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), 18:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), and at 20:00 (2/3 of seats used).

    That was very poor showing for the 1st day, yet it's somehow breaking records? Besides now it's mostly empty already, nobody is watching Warcraft anymore in the cinemas here.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,544
    No!

    "My Fantasy is having two men at once...

    One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

    ---------------------------

    "A good man can make you feel sexy,

    strong and able to take on the whole world...

    oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."





  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited May 2016
    josko9 said:
    Volgore said:
    According to the media the movie is breaking records in my country. If you ask the people, nobody liked it.

    I'm going to see it today, but only because i got a ticket for 6.50. No way i would pay 12+ for this.
    At my place, it's almost shown in 3D everywhere. Only a very small local theater has it in 2D.
    I don't understand that either. According to the media, Warcraft broke records in my country as well, yet on it's first day it was played at 17:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), 18:30 (less than 1/5 of seats used), and at 20:00 (2/3 of seats used).

    That was very poor showing for the 1st day, yet it's somehow breaking records? Besides now it's mostly empty already, nobody is watching Warcraft anymore in the cinemas here.
    I called the theater to preorder another ticket. When i said for Warcraft, the guy on the hotline told me to just come along and i could chose nearly any seat, no reservation needed.

    I guess i better watch it with the mindset that this is just another fantasy movie and don't expect Blizzard/Warcraft quality here.

    image
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    With more reviews the score has declined further on rotten tomatoes - it's down to 20%.

    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/#contentReviews
    Should mention that the average rating is nearer 4/10, but Rotten Tomatoes measures the percentage of people who rate it negatively i.e. 20% = only 2/10 critiques rated it positively.

    This is important because a film that gets 6 people rating it at 48% and 4 rating it at 99%, and a film that gets 6 people rating it at 1% and 4 people rating it at 51% both get a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 40%.   


    Nothing wrong with what they do actually. One persons "2" is another persons "4"; same with a "6" and a "9". The premise is that people who like the film will score it over 5 and those who don't at less than 5. The % is then simply number who "liked" it rather then "disliked". This prevents the score being skewed by lots of 0s or lots of 10s.

    So a score of 20% means that 20% rated the film "above average".
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,019
    edited June 2016
    josko9 said:
    I'm one of the "lucky" ones that has already seen the movie, and honestly it didn't justify the ticket price (6.50€ here). I would have rather torrented it. At least I'll know what to do if sequel ever comes. The reception at my cinema was also very poor, nearly nobody was impressed by it, even though Warcraft brought the most people.

    I mean the movie really isn't that bad, I've seen worse, however it's still very disappointing. I'd rate it at about 4.5/10, and that's coming from a Warcraft Lore fan. As for the "non-gamers" or people who don't know anything about Warcraft, this movie is pure garbage. 

    Mix between CGI and Action is very painfull. In some cases CGI is beautiful, in others it looks like it couldn't be worse. For example high elves look like barbie dolls, 95% of the orcs are copy-pasted and generic etc. Overall half of the time it feels like a cartoon, and the other half it looks like a very very cheap ripoff of GoT and Lotr.

    But the biggest letdown is probably the story and the pacing. It's just so easily forgetable. I've watched it in Thursday and I literally forgot nearly everything. I know that Blizzard's storytelling is terrible, but come on surely movie could have gotten a better one.
    Your complaints with the High elves and orcs can be directed at LOTR as well. So, i wonder if your complaints hold any water considering how popular and successful LOTR movies were.

    Also, you forgetting nearly everything about a movie you just saw Thursday might be a clear indicator of an Alzheimer's. You should get yourself checked.

    image
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Just my 2 cents about the movie

    - A must see for everyone that ever played WoW
    - A fun movie for people that like fantasy movies

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    It's going to do well. I hope it does well. There's really no benefit to anyone in wishing a movie to fail (except ghost busters).

    Movie has Duncan Jones directing and a fantastic cast. If it was any other story I'd still see it based on this fact alone.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,496
    I think the Warcraft movie will do good... not sure about this WoW movie.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I don't see it as being a hit movie or anything, i think even for fans of WoW its going to be a bit marmite. I'll probably catch it when it comes out on video in a year or so.
  • aeoleonaeoleon Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited June 2016
    I have watched it now and I really loved it. There are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon of "cgi sucks", "story sucks", etc. are are not giving the time of day to the finer details of the movie. 

    Without going into spoilers, the CGI is one of the best I have seen ever, yes, there is one portion of the movie where the CGI looks a bit shaky, and it lasts about 10 seconds...in a 2h30min movie -.-` 

    I didn't care much for some characters on the human side and I wished they developed others more. But the Orcs were perfect (and I only play alliance), I actually care more for the Orcs in this movie. 

    They were trying to cram a lot in a 2h30min movie, so I guess that kind of sucks for the die-hard Warcraft fans which want every single bit of lore explained to it's minute detail, to which you are simply not going to get.

    I think "WoW" fans, and I mean WoW, not Warcraft, are going into the movie with the mind set where everything must match to what there is in game, which they are certainly not going to get. 

    Remember, the movie is catered in a way for both Warcraft fans and people that are completely oblivious that such a world even exists. I guess compromises were done?

    Who am I to know what they were thinking, they have not come out with an explanation to why they did this or that, everything being posted to what the director was thinking is pure speculation at this point.

     I loved it, I liked the grit and the three way story plot, I loved the CGI and the actors (except for one, but you need to see the movie to get it), I loved the little easter eggs for gamers that were put in the movie, that by the way, are done subtly and have no weight on the story at all, which did not break the plot at all. 

    I have watched the movie twice, one time in 3D and one time in 2D (I preferred the 2D, the 3D was well done but the first 15 minutes are hard on the eyes).

    I think if I was a proper movie critic, I would have rated 7.5/10 due to some obvious changes done to lore and because I didn't like the rough 2 minutes of movie where you first see Lothar.

    It is a fantasy movie, and I was entertained watching it (just don't like the prices for the cinema here in Reading - UK, they charge for each ticket an absurd £13 for 3D and £10 for 2D) :pleased: 


    01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101111 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101111 00100001

  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2016
    There are no official numbers yet in the UK but checking the Odeon website (Biggest Cinema chain in UK) Warcraft is the number one movie with highest rating from cinema goers, on par with XMAN: Apocalypse, so far so good.
    Official numbers from the Box Office next week, but it looks very promising, people that actually watched it loved it.

    I think "professional" critics just missed the point.
    They expected a Lord of the Ring sort of movie, they don't get the cheesiness of the IP.
    Even the bright color palette is intentional to mirror the videogame atmosphere.

    My favorite characters are Durotan (the absolute star of the movie) and Khadgar (a surprise) the clumsy mage who learn to become a fighter.

    Kids and WOW fans are going to love it, and open minded grown ups will like it too.
    Yes there are some problems with the CGI blending with the live scenes and the screenplay is not exactly Oscar material, but it is something you can easily get over.
    It is not a masterpiece by any means, but it is quite enjoyable.
    Go and see it, don't listen to the critics, they just don't get it.

    By the way Warcraft already topped number 1 in all first 11 markets where it has been released.
    With still half EU (biggest markets UK-Italy-Spain) to go this week and China and the USA next week, it could be the surprise of 2016.

  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    aeoleon said:
    I have watched it now and I really loved it. There are a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon of "cgi sucks", "story sucks", etc. are are not giving the time of day to the finer details of the movie. 

    Without going into spoilers, the CGI is one of the best I have seen ever, yes, there is one portion of the movie where the CGI looks a bit shaky, and it lasts about 10 seconds...in a 2h30min movie -.-` 

    Keep in mind that most people who have not seen the movie judge the CGI on the trailers in which it was really bad at times.
    I did so, too.

    For the actual movie however the CGI got worked over and is incredibly good. I'd say even better than i've seen it in some huge blockbusters.

    image
  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,978
    The problem with the CGI, or at least the problem I have, isn't that it's not good, it's that it doesn't mesh well with the live actors. The CGI looks like Warcraft while the live actors look like live actors.

    Do any of you who've seen the movie think it would have been worse had they used CGI for the entire film?
Sign In or Register to comment.