Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You think the WOW movie will be successful?

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 4,624
    I think it will break even and not be well received critically.  I don't plan on seeing it in the theaters, at least based on what I've seen of it.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The movie looks like its focusing on the orc civil war that took place during warcraft 3.  I admit the girl doesn't have a good face for an orc.  But she could easily be considered a half-orc.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,232
    filmoret said:
    The movie looks like its focusing on the orc civil war that took place during warcraft 3.  I admit the girl doesn't have a good face for an orc.  But she could easily be considered a half-orc.
    I believe she is half-orc.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    If I enjoy it then its a success. MMO naysayers be damned.
  • cloudacvcloudacv Member UncommonPosts: 208
    A movie needs to make 3X the budget in ticket sales to break even. It's going to flop hard.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,232
    cloudacv said:
    A movie needs to make 3X the budget in ticket sales to break even. It's going to flop hard.
    Then Batman vs. Superman is the biggest flop since movies began.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    It looks pretty terrible to me, but then again - I tend to despise what Hollywood has become. The most popular movies are 90% spectacle and 10% blueprint scripts full of irrational characters and bad jokes.

This movie looks like just another superhero movie with bad special effects.

In my opinion, the only way to do a proper WoW movie would be 100% CGI - on or above the level of the best cutscene cinematics they've done for their games. Beyond that, it would be all about the script - and that's the tricky part. Most of WoW lore is a bit of a joke - and it's full of pop-culture nonsense. But if you take some of the best parts of WoW, like the Duskwood quest line, and write a quality script with quality characters around it - you might have something.

But that's not how you get asses in seats these days.

For that, you need marketing, spectacle and the elusive momentum of hype. If the special effects are better than what they look like in the trailer - and the script isn't quite as terrible as it seems - then maybe people will lap it up instead of laugh it out of town. It's quite uncertain, to me.
    I know its a little early but have the tickets been selling out anywhere?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,829
    Looking at most video games created based on a movie. The vast majority of them straight up suck with few notable exceptions. This one is the other way around, but I imagine the same dynamic is going to apply here.

You get a successful I.P. and someone else wants to make money off of that. Then the suits get involved. Things get changed. The finished product rarely ever lines up well with the original creator's concept for the IP. The exceptions to that where the IP Owner retains authority to say if the creation lines up with the IP. But in this case. Blizzard themselves cannot seem to keep the original IP straight anymore. How is a 3rd party movie producer going to make an epic story out of that?

Well, it's certainly possible that someone "Gets it right" but I think this is going to be more about cashing in on a big name and not about creating an epic story and it will show.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,829
    Sector13 said:
    Knowing Blizzard they will just take the storyline from another popular movie and rehash it to fit their lore and Bliizard fans will go on about how its the best movie ever. 
    They could use Pocahontas......everyone else did.

Pocahontas
    Daces with wolves
    Last Samurai

Sector13 said:
    Knowing Blizzard they will just take the storyline from another popular movie and rehash it to fit their lore and Bliizard fans will go on about how its the best movie ever. 
    They could use Pocahontas......everyone else did.

Pocahontas
    Daces with wolves
    Last Samurai

Its Romeo and Juliet but with a good ending.  Worn out and over 10000x.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited May 2016
    Judging solely by the trailer, it's going to blow.

Note this is not an option of choice in the poll.

"Sells a bunch of tickets, but nevertheless mightily sucks."
    -- Batman v Superman, anyone?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Horusra said:
    cloudacv said:

waterworld.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    Horusra said:
    cloudacv said:

waterworld.
    IDK lets take some other examples like Jurassic World and Gravity.  How many times can you let the dinosaurs out to eat people without it getting old?  I saw the first movie and I'm like Ok I saw that time to move on with my life.  And Gravity.....  Everyone that saw it said was great movie.  I'm like ok she float in space gets hole in suit in danger of dying.  Did I miss anything?  Examples of worn out movies with cliche plots and stories yet somehow people loved them anyways.
    Well, what do you know, I saw it - and it was quite good.

Not exactly fantastic - but quite good, and a pleasant surprise. I think it will do good business - especially on bluray/DVD.

I was wrong about the movie, what can I say.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,386
    DKLond said:

Not exactly fantastic - but quite good, and a pleasant surprise. I think it will do good business - especially on bluray/DVD.

A real life friend saw it this week end, and said that the scenario was average and could certainly be confusing for a non-warcraft lore aware person, but the visuals are absolutely breathtaking. He told me it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen though.

I'll go sometimes this week.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

DKLond said:

A real life friend saw it this week end, and said that the scenario was average and could certainly be confusing for a non-warcraft lore aware person, but the visuals are absolutely breathtaking. He told me it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen though.

I'll go sometimes this week.
    I highly recommend the 3D version. I don't care for 3D, usually, but this is pretty much the only 3D movie I've seen that justifies the added cost.

It's definitely a big-screen movie, if ever there was one.
  • CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 82
    edited May 2016
    DKLond said:
    I highly recommend the 3D version. I don't care for 3D, usually, but this is pretty much the only 3D movie I've seen that justifies the added cost.

It's definitely a big-screen movie, if ever there was one.
    I saw it last night and really enjoyed the movie, for what it was.  I'd also agre that it was good in 3D on the big screen.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 142
    edited May 2016
    I think it will break even and not be well received critically.  I don't plan on seeing it in the theaters, at least based on what I've seen of it.
    I agree with this, it'll probably make it's money back but the critics will shit on it and I'm sure they will be right. That being said, I'm seeing it.
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited May 2016
    It look like a huge CGI clusterfuck- but then I'm probably not its target audience. 

Having said that, I did like Moon. 
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited May 2016
    If it does well you will see Blizzard step up their movie making ambitions, Overatch, Starcraft and many others are all viable movies that could be made.

I just hope mmo players don't fall into the tribal mindset where they think liking anything wow related is disloyal to their mmo title.  You see this way too much.

If this movie tanks they will just go back to what they do best and call it a wash, which is sad because I'd love to see what they can do with an Overwatch movie.
    I forgot to mention, you don't have my option available: -

• I think it will be moderately successful at the box office, i.e. it will turn a small profit or break-even, 
    • I think it will be marginally above average-to-good with audiences (let's be honest the audiences for this sort of thing have few critical faculties, they lap up shit like Batman V Superman). 
    • I am not sure about the critics; I think there is a general positive feeling towards Duncan Jones, but I am not sure if that can save a huge messy, CGI, mindless, plotless, crap-fest from a critical mauling. It will probably come out middling. 
    But then again, maybe Duncan Jones will elevate the film above its thin material (no the WOW lore is not a good starting point for a movie), and create something watchable. And if he does, the hordes of idiots who like Transformers and Batman V Superman probably won't watch it cause it won't have enough computer generated explosions for them.  

• king_reuxking_reux Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited May 2016
    It's not a WoW (in reference to the mmo) movie though. It's specifically in reference to the Warcraft timeline.

• I think it will be moderately successful at the box office, i.e. it will turn a small profit or break-even, 
    • I think it will be marginally above average-to-good with audiences (let's be honest the audiences for this sort of thing have few critical faculties, they lap up shit like Batman V Superman). 
    • I am not sure about the critics; I think there is a general positive feeling towards Duncan Jones, but I am not sure if that can save a huge messy, CGI, mindless, plotless, crap-fest from a critical mauling. It will probably come out middling. 
    But then again, maybe Duncan Jones will elevate the film above its thin material (no the WOW lore is not a good starting point for a movie), and create something watchable. And if he does, the hordes of idiots who like Transformers and Batman V Superman probably won't watch it cause it won't have enough computer generated explosions for them.  

You haven't seen the movie, correct?
    DKLond said:

You haven't seen the movie, correct?
    Correct, pure speculation.