Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria - Still Wavering?

Comments

• lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    "when someone who is a fan, posts a link to a blog trying to sway people to join a Kickstarter, there are going to be counter points provided"

That's not unreasonable but when those counterpoints are little more than personal attacks, I think people have a right to take exception. I saw a comment describing the developers as 'kids' - and then that poster expects to be taken seriously?

I find your assertion that I'm able to 'sway people to join a kickstarter' as quite a positive comment. Thanks for that. Never really thought I was that persuasive to be honest. All I was trying to do was provide information in the hope that it would spark some interest in others who would then investigate the game for themselves and decide to back Soulbound Studios. If I had a magic 'join the kickstarter' wand I'd have waved it long before now...and then you'd have something concrete to moan about. Here's the kickstarter url by the way :)
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Because that's not what I said but he cut only he bit that was convenient for him to troll some more.

He missed out the rest of the post that said the forum here was for people to discover the game and unfortunately the trolls and idiots are hijacking every thread that's made
    And again I will simply point out that you are incorrect in your statement.  The forums are here for discussion about the game, both positive AND negative.  Not "for people to discover the game".

The OP can certainly write more blog posts about how great this game is going to be, but he also needs to expect that some people will post with a different response.  THAT is why these forums exist.

It is not a place for anyone to post the same repeated negative thoughts over and over again though, that is actually against the rules here. Which is all that most people do who like to chime in with their negative leanings. They also like to hide behind a diatribe that they're an actual backer, player, etc....
    Actually I have found the opposite.  I find that most people take a criticism of their game as a personal attack, and thus attempt to "attack at one's character" in response.   When one criticizes a game, the proper response is an effort to provide a counter point.  The weak response is to call those you disagree with trolls, morons, idiots and assholes.  All of those have been done by fans of this game on these forums.  Again, when someone who is a fan, posts a link to a blog trying to sway people to join a Kickstarter, there are going to be counter points provided.  That is the nature of the forums and what makes this a GREAT place for the community!

I see it different, as folks attacking the random guy who offers sensible critique isn't all that normal to see around here. Those types of things are usually aimed at the guy who sits around and says the same stuff over and over, as well as appoints themselves as some sort of ambassador of all who "feel wronged". It's this type of poster who typically does it just to rile folks up. IMO without that type of poster these forums would be a much more pleasant place to be.
    Sorry, don't see any excuse for calling people morons, idiots and assholes. Any attempt to excuse such behavior just invalidates any argument trying to be made.

Guess we have to agree to disagree.  Which is what makes this the best gaming site on the planet!

=)  =) =)
    Typical, accusations....

I didn't excuse anything, the types I was referring to often say the same types of things, almost always leading in with words like idiots, fanbois, morons, fools and their money, etc... There's enough mudslinging coming from both sides along those lines, pointing out one side in doing it is just telling half the story. I chose to ignore most of that, as it is worthless diatribe and not worth the effort of mentioning.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    lunawisp said:
    "when someone who is a fan, posts a link to a blog trying to sway people to join a Kickstarter, there are going to be counter points provided"

That's not unreasonable but when those counterpoints are little more than personal attacks, I think people have a right to take exception. I saw a comment describing the developers as 'kids' - and then that poster expects to be taken seriously?

I find your assertion that I'm able to 'sway people to join a kickstarter' as quite a positive comment. Thanks for that. Never really thought I was that persuasive to be honest. All I was trying to do was provide information in the hope that it would spark some interest in others who would then investigate the game for themselves and decide to back Soulbound Studios. If I had a magic 'join the kickstarter' wand I'd have waved it long before now...and then you'd have something concrete to moan about. Here's the kickstarter url by the way :)
    That poster wasn't me so I can't answer for them.  I honestly have no idea about the ages of the developers.   If you find ME making personal attacks, point them out and I will most likely apologize or at a minimum explain my reasoning (perhaps it's perceived as an attack but not meant as such).   Instead, I have been called a troll, an idiot, a moron and an asshole.  All by purported fans and not once did another "defender" step in and tell those posters they were out of line.  Nope, instead they cheered them on.  I'd say those are much more personal attacks then calling developers "kids"...

Let's all stick to discussing the GAME and I think we will all have fun!

B)  B) B)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Dakeru said:
    Whenever you post you declare yourself a winner in a contest or something.
    The word troll get's tossed around way too easily but constantly suggesting that someone backs out when you talk to them is pretty close to the actual definition.

People keep posting how wonderful all the promised features of CoE are.
    Slap and others keep posting how unlikely it is to ever get those features running.

It will stop once the advertising stops - happened before with other  incredible indie games ...
    That's what gets annoying about it... We all know whatever someone wants to interject with along these lines, no one more so than those who understand exactly what kickstarter or other avenues of CFing entail, which would be those donating to it...

Their whole purpose is to get the word out to ensure those plans have the best chance possible at attaining the reality of existing. That's what this grassroots avenue is all about. 

Why would people want to hamper that, theres nothing for anyone to gain from that aside from fulfilling some Negative Nancy fetish.

I'm not even the type who funds such things yet I can see how those negative types can seriously hurt such efforts by clouding the situation with fear and uncertainty. For who's benefit exactly?

• TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Distopia said:
    I see it different, as folks attacking the random guy who offers sensible critique isn't all that normal to see around here. Those types of things are usually aimed at the guy who sits around and says the same stuff over and over, as well as appoints themselves as some sort of ambassador of all who "feel wronged". It's this type of poster who typically does it just to rile folks up. IMO without that type of poster these forums would be a much more pleasant place to be.
    Also a very dead place to be.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Distopia said:
    clouding the situation with fear and uncertainty. For who's benefit exactly?

That image is epic, I give you that.
    Except for it has nothing to do with clouds or fog.

If there is fog then it consists of people claiming they can produce a game with features that far exceed those of AAA MMOs for  just 1-10% of the money that a 'real' gaming studio needs.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Distopia said:
    clouding the situation with fear and uncertainty. For who's benefit exactly?

That image is epic, I give you that.
    Except for it has nothing to do with clouds or fog.

If there is fog then it consists of people claiming they can produce a game with features that far exceed those of AAA MMOs for  just 1-10% of the money that a 'real' gaming studio needs.
    I could see your point in regard to certain projects, at least in regard to questioning the validity of their experience compared to plans... 

This studio does seem to have people that "know" what they're doing though (unless they're lying about their background). It's not just a bunch of people with no insight into such things...

"Soulbound Studios was created to bring together experienced game developers without the constraints of previous companies."

Forgive the giant image I just wanted to back up my point with where it came from. 

The same could be said about MJ and CU, Brad and Pantheon, etc...

It's these guys setting the budget after-all they know more than any of us exactly what they "need". 

They obviously also want to expand their team as well as funding options, I'd assume this is simply a first step. 

edited May 2016
    Distopia said:
    Also a very dead place to be.
    If you really want to see dead, look at SC, at this point everyone has abandoned that conversation aside from those with a truly vested interest in it both negative and positive. It's become a virtual no mans land for neutral discussion. Which will happen here as well if the negativity and defense toward it reaches that level. 

Oh I forgot, I'll just get a LOL from you... my bad in bothering...

• FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Distopia said:

This studio does seem to have people that "know" what they're doing though (unless they're lying about their background). It's not just a bunch of people with no insight into such things...

"Soulbound Studios was created to bring together experienced game developers without the constraints of previous companies."
    I suggest to check on LinkedIn for the previous experiences of the developers.

We may be surprised to learn how many of them has worked on a MMO project before.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    They already explained that in a video, they have worked on a lot of games I believe EQ,WOW,ESO and a few others were mentioned.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Wizardry said:
    I have no doubt at all that COE "deserves" hype and deserves gamer's attention.
    The only question i have has been the same one from day 1,HOW are each individual player going to be treated when comes to $$$$.
    We already know $$$ is the root of all evil ,so of course it is going to show it's ugly face in gaming.

I was hmmm maybe around a 9/10 that i was going to play this game,now it is not the game itself but $$$ ideas that have me thinking more like 3/10 and i will just wait and see what happens when the first gamer is allowed to enter the game.

It is sad really,i look for so long a game i want to play and find one and it is not the game itself that drives me further away.
    I clicked "agree" but with one exception. The "love of money" is the root of many evils. With the rest, I agree, and I was looking into this game until the $500+ brackets in the kickstarter, up to thousands of dollars. That is a bad practice and it needs to end.

Now, to find out the company is rewarding people to proselytize, how the hell am I supposed to reckon if someone really likes the idea, or is doing it impulsively to get rewarded? Because they say, "I really like it"? Hurrr, are they going to say, "I really don't like it", if they want the reward?
  • drakeordanskadrakeordanska Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Wizardry said:
    I have no doubt at all that COE "deserves" hype and deserves gamer's attention.
    The only question i have has been the same one from day 1,HOW are each individual player going to be treated when comes to $$$$.
    We already know $$$ is the root of all evil ,so of course it is going to show it's ugly face in gaming.

I was hmmm maybe around a 9/10 that i was going to play this game,now it is not the game itself but $$$ ideas that have me thinking more like 3/10 and i will just wait and see what happens when the first gamer is allowed to enter the game.

It is sad really,i look for so long a game i want to play and find one and it is not the game itself that drives me further away.
    I clicked "agree" but with one exception. The "love of money" is the root of many evils. With the rest, I agree, and I was looking into this game until the $500+ brackets in the kickstarter, up to thousands of dollars. That is a bad practice and it needs to end.

Now, to find out the company is rewarding people to proselytize, how the hell am I supposed to reckon if someone really likes the idea, or is doing it impulsively to get rewarded? Because they say, "I really like it"? Hurrr, are they going to say, "I really don't like it", if they want the reward?
    They are not paying people to proselytise they are rewarding people who help to improve the community.

The only person who got ip for advertising the game is someone that wrote an article on imgur (a well worded one at that) and put his referal code on it
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356
    They are not paying people to proselytise they are rewarding people who help to improve the community.

The only person who got ip for advertising the game is someone that wrote an article on imgur (a well worded one at that) and put his referal code on it
    "To that end, we award IP for various activities which we believe influences the success of the game. Some of these activities include:
    • Inviting other paying/contributing members to the community [...]
    • Creating new journalistic content via blogs, YouTube videos, etc..."
    "In addition to recruiting & backing us on Kickstarter, people receive Influence for: [...]
    • Creating external content such as blogs, YouTube videos, etc."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion/791-A-Note-on-Influence-Points-and-cheaters
  • JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Ozmodan said:
    All this game is, is a bunch of kids with huge imaginations with no idea how to implement such nor any idea if these ideas will work in a MMORPG.  It is great to imagine such a game, extremely hard to create it.  The hype is what it is, now let's wait and see what actually gets created from it.  I will bet that the game will look a lot different that all these whimsical stories they tell.
    It's not kids if you'd bothered to check it out... It's people who have extensive experience in the gaming industry and have worked on many other titles over the years. So yeah they have the experience and knowledge to make high quality games.
  • goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i think ill wait until release, after star citizen i'm a bit jaded about kickstarted projects that seem very ambitious.
    Rhoklaw said:
    Not to mention Soulbound Studios is rewarding it's community members for helping to promote the game by giving them influence points. So, you may think of lunawisp as being a shill. I just see someone who really enjoys the vision of CoE and his passion to inspire others by explaining what has to be one of the more complex MMO's to hit the market.
    Can you point to where you read this so that this statement you made can be validated because I've never once seen this anywhere in the Dev journals, the Q&A's with the Devs, or the website... 
    Joreel said:
    Ozmodan said:
    All this game is, is a bunch of kids with huge imaginations with no idea how to implement such nor any idea if these ideas will work in a MMORPG.  It is great to imagine such a game, extremely hard to create it.  The hype is what it is, now let's wait and see what actually gets created from it.  I will bet that the game will look a lot different that all these whimsical stories they tell.
    It's not kids if you'd bothered to check it out... It's people who have extensive experience in the gaming industry and have worked on many other titles over the years. So yeah they have the experience and knowledge to make high quality games.
    You can't have the "proof" beg itself. To say they "have extensive experience..." is to simply repeat their propaganda and that is a circular argument. How do we know they have extensive experience? Because they say so.

So yeah, they have experience working under people who have in the past shown the knowledge to make successful products. It doesn't mean, in any event, the devs to whom we refer will in the future produce a quality ice cream cone, let alone millions of lines of code to equal a "quality game".
    Joreel said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Not to mention Soulbound Studios is rewarding it's community members for helping to promote the game by giving them influence points. So, you may think of lunawisp as being a shill. I just see someone who really enjoys the vision of CoE and his passion to inspire others by explaining what has to be one of the more complex MMO's to hit the market.
    Can you point to where you read this so that this statement you made can be validated because I've never once seen this anywhere in the Dev journals, the Q&A's with the Devs, or the website... 

"To that end, we award IP for various activities which we believe influences the success of the game. Some of these activities include:
    "In addition to recruiting & backing us on Kickstarter, people receive Influence for: [...]

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/General-Discussion/791-A-Note-on-Influence-Points-and-cheaters

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    edited May 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Joreel said:
    Rhoklaw said:

This could mean anything, it seems most likely if you do something like back the kickstarter or get someone to back it as well using your referral code as the starting point, you get rewarded for it or start up a channel like DM21.  It would have to be clearly defined by what they mean significant contribution.  It's a bit of a stretch to assume posting on these forum gets you said IP.  I have 0 IP at the moment and i've been posting on a pretty regular basis.  Feel free to look under Dalvin (my forum board name).  That's my proof that posting on boards like these gets you nothing.

You'll see next to my name it says:

Influence Points:

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    forced pvp...not no, but hell no.
    and growing old and dying? i'll do that on my own )
  • xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199
    drakaena said:
    This is an idea mmo. Great in theory but it's never going to happen. I wish it would but it's not even believable. Feel kinda bad for people roped in by this one. 
    I think you are onto something. I initially backed because of the great ideas, but now I pulled my pledge. It's because I want to see more gameplay footage of what the combat is like. I saw the video from PAX but that is not enough to convince me to shell out money for this game yet. I want to see more gameplay footage of combat against mobs, and other videos of towns. All people have seen thus far is ideas on paper, and one PAX video. Is that really enough to get people to shell out $250 to $500 or more dollars. I would like to see more footage, otherwise you are right they are just taking people's money.

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

Adjuvant1 said:
    Joreel said:
    Ozmodan said:
    You can't have the "proof" beg itself. To say they "have extensive experience..." is to simply repeat their propaganda and that is a circular argument. How do we know they have extensive experience? Because they say so.

So yeah, they have experience working under people who have in the past shown the knowledge to make successful products. It doesn't mean, in any event, the devs to whom we refer will in the future produce a quality ice cream cone, let alone millions of lines of code to equal a "quality game".
    You can Google them, check the Q&As that Jeremy Walsh did when he talked about his team's experience, do a little research and amaze yourself at what you can discover.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Joreel said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Thanks for the info... This just gives more reason to keep spreading the word about the game. Maybe in 12-18 months when the do the exposition phase I'll have gotten enough IP to buy that backpack with the c!oak, map and 5 food rations... You know the "Big Payment" lunawisp and I will get for telling everyone about the game.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Nope no longer wavering, canceled my $175. Good luck hope this one defies all the odds and history of kickstarter, proves me wrong and delivers an amazing game in a timely manner. 
    Joreel said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Joreel said:
    Ozmodan said:

You can Google them, check the Q&As that Jeremy Walsh did when he talked about his team's experience, do a little research and amaze yourself at what you can discover.
    I'm amazed to discover you'll avidly step up to defend Jeromy Walsh, yet spell his name incorrectly. Let's give you the benefit of the doubt it was a typo. ( eyeroll )

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeromywalsh

This tells me he's a competent ( not necessarily talented ) programmer, the last time he worked on a video game was 2005 and none were mmorpgs or even mmos. He has no experience as a gaming project lead, but as a department head. He has no masters degree and little formal training in higher math beyond calculus, altho he has in the past taught algebra and pre-calc.

If you're asking me, which you probably aren't, prompting me to dig isn't supporting your case, much. From my perspective, he's a guy with big dreams and a little (outdated) experience under his belt, who formed an LLC under the premise "everyone else is doing it, so why can't we". I see his capacity to "deliver" as untested, with little to no substance behind any promises of future product quality.

This discussion has been closed.