Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will people quit falling for cash grabs?

2»

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    kishe said:
    1) Ask for 900k and promise more than 20 million dollar AAA+ MMO's
    2)???
    3) PROFIT!

When small time indy firms basically promise the moon from the sky and promise to do it with one tenth of an AAA+ budget, you know you're set for an disappointment.
    I suppose this depends on individual expectations. Personally, I have 4 of 8 KS projects I backed sitting on my desktop right now and I've enjoyed every minute of them. On top of that, I have another 2 (Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin) which I missed out on at Kickstarter and have enjoyed immensely. In fact, I'd say that they've been some of the best experiences I've had in my past 5 years of gaming. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have had little or no disappointment with the games I've backed.

Personally, I feel like it's people who don't understand the process and feel like they will be making a game for $900k. I actually find that somewhat funny. That might do a dev team of 5-10 people for 1 year. There is more funding involved, but I think that's just a matter of educating the masses that needs to happen rather than your own fault. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    edited May 2016

You also have investors who will take on "risky, innovative" ideas, if, they believe in the product or person or the money to be made.

There is a lot of moving parts to all of this, but for some reason the Investors aren't interested in risky, innovative games that push the boundaries. Innovation will only ever come from indies or from bigger studios that have enough cash on hand that they can afford a flop. So, indies it is... Fallacy is the excuse most often used.

So where are the AAA sandboxes, where are the AAA games breaking away from the status quo of themepark treadmills, where are the new AAA MMORPGs at all?

I have not backed a single kickstarter, I opt to buy what I can play now. Still your point seems rather asinine to me as if what you say is true, we'd have evidence to show it to be true. On the other hand most of the actual provable innovation is coming from indie studios in this day and age. So... the ball is in your court, put the proof where your mouth is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• maple2maple2 Member UncommonPosts: 161
    kishe said:
    1) Ask for 900k and promise more than 20 million dollar AAA+ MMO's
    2)???
    3) PROFIT!

When small time indy firms basically promise the moon from the sky and promise to do it with one tenth of an AAA+ budget, you know you're set for an disappointment.

• MorwynnMorwynn Member UncommonPosts: 54
    So Kishe, I guess we can put you down as a maybe?
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 670
    edited May 2016
    Nibs said:
    st4t1ck said:
    Sadly this is the state of mmorpg gaming. Real money wont invest and it takes us to fund anything that might be fun, and the realistic chances it will be made are very slim.
    It will only take one.    If a crowd funded game thats really different comes out and is very successful then the real money will try to jump on board.
    Let's pray this will happen...
    The problem is they will exactly that: Jump on board with copy-cat games just like they did with WoW. These will fail just, just as all the WoW clones did. Then the investors will all stop investing again.

Investors aren't interested in risky, innovative games that push the boundaries. Innovation will only ever come from indies or from bigger studios that have enough cash on hand that they can afford a flop. So, indies it is...

Did anyone notice what happened a few weeks ago?

Star Citizen has been a major crowdfunding success. Activision created their next Call of Duty game with a resemblance to Star Citizen, including space ship combat and first-person shooter in space.

Their trailer of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare uploaded on May 2 is on its way to becoming the most disliked video in the history of Youtube. At the moment 337k likes and 2 million dislikes.

Edit: Grief for CoD fans and huge jubilation for Doom fans! B) Doom was launched today and is getting a lot of praise!
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,766
    More money doesn't necessarily mean a better game.  Big devs waste loads of money.

Nobody is expecting the game to be very graphically impressive.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,966
    Yanocchi said:
    Nibs said:
    st4t1ck said:
    Sadly this is the state of mmorpg gaming. Real money wont invest and it takes us to fund anything that might be fun, and the realistic chances it will be made are very slim.
    It will only take one.    If a crowd funded game thats really different comes out and is very successful then the real money will try to jump on board.
    Let's pray this will happen...
    The problem is they will exactly that: Jump on board with copy-cat games just like they did with WoW. These will fail just, just as all the WoW clones did. Then the investors will all stop investing again.

Investors aren't interested in risky, innovative games that push the boundaries. Innovation will only ever come from indies or from bigger studios that have enough cash on hand that they can afford a flop. So, indies it is...

Did anyone notice what happened a few weeks ago?

Star Citizen has been a major crowdfunding success. Activision created their next Call of Duty game with a resemblance to Star Citizen, including space ship combat and first-person shooter in space.

Their trailer of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare uploaded on May 2 is on its way to becoming the most disliked video in the history of Youtube. At the moment 337k likes and 2 million dislikes.

Edit: Grief for CoD fans and huge jubilation for Doom fans! B) Doom was launched today and is getting a lot of praise!
    Wow, nearly twenty million views. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

This discussion has been closed.