Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's WOW Mod Talking About Changes to the Game

2»

Comments

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Kayo83 said:
    Sephiroso said:
    I love how people say WoW is dumbed down. Leveling was always faceroll easy outside of group quests. Heroic dungeons might not be what they used to, but thats because the heroic dungeons of old are now mythic dungeons. And even back in BC when you outgeared heroic dungeons, you could chain pull shit and didn't have to rely on CC. Same thing now, so long as you don't outgear mythic dungeons, you will need to rely on CC and can't chain pull recklessly.

Not to mention WoW's raids have only gotten more complex. Specially compared to Vanilla lol.
    That is not true at all. It wasnt HUGE on challenge but you couldnt pull more than 2-3 mobs while leveling without risking death. Some classes could do it, like Mages before the Blizzard nerf, and maybe Paladins if they played smart. Now you can mow down 2 or even 3 same level elites by randomly punching your keyboard.
    Short memory it seems (or lack of skill?). I was routinely doing that, on my Druid, Shaman and Hunter, back in Vanilla.
    Nothing has changed, some classes have always been stronger at solo than others.

And your elite story is nothing but bullshit, unless you totally overgear them with end game stuff, which doesn't happen during leveling (not even with heirlooms).
    yeah you're either full of shit or you where already a veteran when WoW was released.
    from what i can remember i encountered the following while leveling: 1 minute bleeds,debuffs that nerfed casting,melee etc. mobs hiding behind stuff only to jump you once you ran past it, and lots of other crap that was designed to make you fail basically. all of this was removed eventually.  

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    Sephiroso said:
    gervaise1 said:

What experience? Reading "Java for the Dummies" and typing the examples?

16 weeks is 4 months... quite a lot of time to make changes in software. Or you have the most inefficient team of developers on earth. Which I don't think is Blizzard's case.

The changes we are talking about here is not a complete graphic overhaul of the game or a total change of the rules, or similar drastic changes. It's fine tuning based on feedback.
    Coding sure.

Think of an appeal against an NFL decision. Should be really quick yes? And yet they are far from quick.

First what changes.  There are probably millions of comments to assess - and rank. And that is only the start.

So even minor tweaks will take time - not to code but to decide and assess: just to read the comments and decide which ones should be actioned is time consuming; then how to address the comments, do the proposed changes go against other comments, will they have other consequences and so on. Coding - easy. Dealing with huge volumes of data though takes time.

Even if there are "only" some tens of thousands and each comment gets a whole 1 minute to read, assess, assign to a category and comment on it will take a small team - doing the same thing again and again and again - weeks to work them. And that is just for the first pass. What medical staff call triage. Pick some numbers. Allocate yourself a team and allow a whole 1 minute for each feedback. Maybe 500 per person per day? Team of ten maybe 25k in a week. In 10 weeks - with no holidays - 250k? Assuming they still have their wits about them.

And then - depending on how good the 1 minute "read, assess, assign, comment on" has been a more detailed assessment will be needed. And then some decisions as to what might be done made. 

Before starting though all the possible changes will have to be weighed against the work that has been done during the year or maybe over two that Blizzard have spent designing the game. That will be ground zero against which any changes will be assessed. 

(And yes I have experience - on multiple continents - being good like - of managing some serious software projects. And I do not disagree in the slightest that you could code some changes - you obviously have the experience to know you can :) the whole process takes time. And there are techniques to manage how you assess feedback as well - which is the key to deciding what changes. Up to and including ignoring pretty much all of it. After all there is budget stuff involved - people going through feedback cost money - another consideration. 
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Problem with WOW is before anything GREED and they understand now better than ever that GREED is hurting them more than if they actually reinvested the funds required to keep and expand further into the market, but they wanted something else, they wanted to pursue different markets, different project with the $ that was coming from WOW, but luckily as with most sub based MMO's is they have to be on a certain standard, to show a certain quality to justify that sub vs the many many F2P alternative options consumers have today for entertainment, especially outside of gaming.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kopogero said:
    Problem with WOW is before anything GREED and they understand now better than ever that GREED is hurting them more than if they actually reinvested the funds required to keep and expand further into the market, but they wanted something else, they wanted to pursue different markets, different project with the $ that was coming from WOW, but luckily as with most sub based MMO's is they have to be on a certain standard, to show a certain quality to justify that sub vs the many many F2P alternative options consumers have today for entertainment, especially outside of gaming.

GREED is what makes businesses work.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Horusra said:
    Kopogero said:

GREED is what makes businesses work.
    Lol, thats pretty fucked up.

Greed has destroyed a lot more businesses than it ever created.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee