Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubisoft's The Division Player-Base Shrinks by 81% Since Launch

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

So much for its claim of being a Destiny-killer

The presence of numerous bugs, glitches, exploits and lackluster end-game content is finally catching up to The Division. While Ubisoft Entertainment SA (EPA:UBSFY) touted the game to be a wrecking ball for Bungie’s Destiny, regular emergence of a series of technical issues have drastically hampered the experience of a post-apocalyptic New York City.

On Reddit, a user posted Steam stats to reveal that the total player-base of The Division has shrunk by a massive 81% since the game’s launch. Released on March 8, 2016, the online open-world third-person shooter recorded a peak player-base of 114,225. However, the numbers have since then dwindled to a measly 22,130 as of last week.

http://www.thecountrycaller.com/74387-ubisofts-the-division-player-base-shrinks-by-81-since-launch/

Comments

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    SMH

Jeebus...seriously? I don't know anyone playing Destiny right now. Is this what your post is really about?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited May 2016
    SMH

Jeebus...seriously? I don't know anyone playing Destiny right now. Is this what your post is really about?

Destiny is  at #18 on Twitch while The Division is at #25

And lets not forget that Destiny is not even available on PC and  The Division is.  O.o

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Activision vs Ubisoft? go figure
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    edited May 2016
    Didnt something similar happen to destiny (as far as player retention goes) though? Maybe theyre competing for most overrated game of the year.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Eh everyone I know doesn't own it through steam because well uPlay...it's not a great platform.

I get it. Steam . Steam. Steam!

But those numbers aren't exactly all of the gaming community. Really in that regard then rocket league is going to fail soon because it's numbers jump all over the place.

For the record. F the division in it's A.
    It's one of those games you actually feel warrants a C.A.L.S.
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Ah the old logic. If its on the internet it must be true. weird the author Ken Bock fails to link the redidt post. Also WTF is the country caller!?!?!? some obscure website. AND the redidt post only relates to the pc version alone AND of the pc version only the players playing through STEAM. It fails to account to ANY Xbox or PS4 users. Really pathetic attempt to raise some alarms. get gamespot or ign to comment then maybe you would have a leg to stand on.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    they should not have made it an MMO...ha!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Ah the old logic. If its on the internet it must be true. weird the author Ken Bock fails to link the redidt post. Also WTF is the country caller!?!?!? some obscure website. AND the redidt post only relates to the pc version alone AND of the pc version only the players playing through STEAM. It fails to account to ANY Xbox or PS4 users. Really pathetic attempt to raise some alarms. get gamespot or ign to comment then maybe you would have a leg to stand on.
    Totally agree! 

I seem to remember Destiny going this same route though. Anyway, I'm sure it's safe to assume that Steam represents less than 10% of the user base here. I was hoping to support that with facts, but I don't have any. The only thing I found was an article from the same Ken Bock toting how The Division had become #1 in sales just 3 weeks earlier. Now it's, obviously, dead in the water because the Internet said so. The articles are thick with irony and a healthy dose of nonsense and shenanigans. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

And here we see the major issue when you try to add persistent online features to what is primarily a single player game.
    I doubt very very very very seriously that has anything to do with the success or failure of this game.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    CrazKanuk said:
    Totally agree! 

I seem to remember Destiny going this same route though. Anyway, I'm sure it's safe to assume that Steam represents less than 10% of the user base here. I was hoping to support that with facts, but I don't have any. The only thing I found was an article from the same Ken Bock toting how The Division had become #1 in sales just 3 weeks earlier. Now it's, obviously, dead in the water because the Internet said so. The articles are thick with irony and a healthy dose of nonsense and shenanigans. 
    Proof? Well if you consider Watch Dogs a "near nieghbour" suitable for using as an estimate then, based on UbiSoft released data, console sales were c. 89% and PC sales c.11%. Add in the fact that Steam is unlikely to 100% of the PC user base and that would support your "less than 10%"

But so what? People buy new game; people play new game; people move to next game. DLC launches people come back to play DLC, people move on again. Not sure how you "kill" a b2p game either - there are no subs after all; impacting future DLC purchases maybe - but that is pretty thin ice imo. The business model is simply more in keeping with how people "appear" to play games: buy, play, move on. Hence the headlines like WoW loses 3M subs in a quarter etc.  
    edited May 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Totally agree! 

.. People buy new game; people play new game; people move to next game. ...
    well its more like:
     people fall for the hyper hype and pre-order the game
     then move on

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Totally agree! 

well its more like:
     then move on
    Lol, even on PC the average playtime on this (based on steamspy stats) is 75 hours. Any game selling north of 10 million copies and averaging 75 hours of gameplay among users is still significant and should still be considered a success. Sorry, that's not hype. Hype is a pump and dump game where you play it for an hour and never go back to it. This is just.... a game. Should be interesting to see the buy-in they'll get for expansions. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    And here we see the major issue when you try to add persistent online features to what is primarily a single player game.
    The major issue is.. 1) PC hacking

Same thing thats going on with BDO -- when you keep things client side with no real checks in place.. this is what you get.

2) Loot Structure.  -- They've changed this so many times to combat their poor handling of exploits.. it's way more treadmill than it should have been

3) Poor patches -- they just aren't getting the content right.  The Darkzone was a big mess.. then they changed it.. then again.. .then again.    

4) Upper end stats are capped --- this stops people from really putting focus on any other classes than DPS/TANK hybrids.. which is what everyone and their mom runs.

They've been scrambling to balance things...  the game will have a resurgence at the first xpac and hopefully it will be enough to push them through.  It's still a very popular game on consoles,  but I've gone from playing every other day.. to maybe once a week until they fix these issues.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Oh Ubioft!

Same thing thats going on with BDO -- when you keep things client side with no real checks in place.. this is what you get.

2) Loot Structure.  -- They've changed this so many times to combat their poor handling of exploits.. it's way more treadmill than it should have been

3) Poor patches -- they just aren't getting the content right.  The Darkzone was a big mess.. then they changed it.. then again.. .then again.    

4) Upper end stats are capped --- this stops people from really putting focus on any other classes than DPS/TANK hybrids.. which is what everyone and their mom runs.

They've been scrambling to balance things...  the game will have a resurgence at the first xpac and hopefully it will be enough to push them through.  It's still a very popular game on consoles,  but I've gone from playing every other day.. to maybe once a week until they fix these issues.
    riggggght and under no circumstances at all does it have anything to do with any of the items posted in this video:

I was wondering why I didnt buy the game now I know, thanks

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    SEANMCAD said:

riggggght and under no circumstances at all does it have anything to do with any of the items posted in this video:

Since you didn't play the game.. and neither did the person in that video.. that was a beta... I'll just go ahead and say you didn't play buy the game because you can't play shooters. Physically incapable.

umm what sean? how dirt old is this beta video? how long did you have to roll through videos to find one that bashed this game lol . I know you can do better

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:

well its more like:
     then move on
    Lol, even on PC the average playtime on this (based on steamspy stats) is 75 hours. Any game selling north of 10 million copies and averaging 75 hours of gameplay among users is still significant and should still be considered a success. Sorry, that's not hype. Hype is a pump and dump game where you play it for an hour and never go back to it. This is just.... a game. Should be interesting to see the buy-in they'll get for expansions. 
    Well .... some people do fall for hype; whethers its a game, a new gizmo or whatever.

An average of 75 hours though on PC - a platform supposedly "riddled with exploits" - does indeed suggest that the game has had a solid reception. Much more significant headline - but probably not worth clicking on the story ...
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    So... most people i know got it for the SP co-op part. 

And that should be done by now =P 

Cue next proper expansion. 

This have been a good conversation

umm what sean? how dirt old is this beta video? how long did you have to roll through videos to find one that bashed this game lol . I know you can do better

oh the release version is different then what the video says! 

AWESOME!

so no 3rd person view and autoducking and bullet sponges? wow

thanks

edited May 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Since you didn't play the game.. and neither did the person in that video.. that was a beta... I'll just go ahead and say you didn't play buy the game because you can't play shooters. Physically incapable.
    so you are suggesting I should buy it because the release version is very different from the beta on the points the video displays

well good I know I can buy the game and know that you are telling me it no longer has 3rd person view, autoducking and bullet sponges. 

Can I start adding quotes from you on my signature? I dont want to do it if you are offended by it though

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited May 2016

Exactly!

I played on PS4 and had a total blast playing....... until patch 1.1 launched that is.

That patch fundamentally changed the game in a worst imaginable way possible!

Gear score is completely broken and a total joke!  This mostly due to the insane RNG on litterly every stat / talent of each piece of gear and weapon!
    It's also exploited in stupid easy way in the Darkzone to be able to get in low rank instance with high rank gear and gank low rank players!

Crafting nerfed beyond reason!  It's a complete borefest now! Insane grind, especually due to the horrible RNG! Makes Korean grind games look good in comparison!  All to "Force" People into the darkzone!

Roaming respawnable named bosses on Open PVE map removed! So at Level 30, the entire PVE map is instantly obsolete!!  All to "Force" People into the darkzone!

Darkzone is a Complete out of wack gankfest, even on console due to all the exploits (especially the Incursion) that was left unchecked and unfixed for weeks!  No repurcusions whatsoever!
    All their ban threats are a joke and didn't notice any difference nor indication anyone was actually banned, except a handful on PC.

The game, when reaching Level 30, is just plain not fun anymore!

So it comes to no suprise really, that the majority has already left the game. I stopped playing two weeks ago myself. 

Massive/Ubisoft is just gross incompetent in handling an Competitive Online Multiplayer game and I don't see how they can turn around this Complete trainwreck of a game, as they keep breaking more and more with each patch!
    edited May 2016

*On bullet sponge topic: explain the difference when a sword hits a rat once and doesn't kill it. or a mage dropping a meteorite on a mob and there isn't a earth shattering killzone killing everyone near it. dumb argument.

*The released version is different from the video and if you watch the video itself the pre reviewer (which is a lauf) said the game was very fun to play

*go play a different game if you don't like third person??? 75 million people did

Try again Sean. your turning into weaksauce. I've seen better from you.

p.s. Why do you even goto a RPG website with a counter arugment of bullet sponge. most likely there is a fps website to get your jollies off on.

*On bullet sponge topic: explain the difference when a sword hits a rat once and doesn't kill it. or a mage dropping a meteorite on a mob and there isn't a earth shattering killzone killing everyone near it. dumb argument.

*The released version is different from the video and if you watch the video itself the pre reviewer (which is a lauf) said the game was very fun to play

*go play a different game if you don't like third person??? 75 million people did

Try again Sean. your turning into weaksauce. I've seen better from you.

Here is a few explict questions for you given you are saying that the released version is different

1. do they have a 1st person view option now? yes or no
    2. do they have jump now? yes or no
    3. do they still have autoduck? yes or no
    4. do they still have UI all over the enviroment, over enamies heads etc? yes or no
    5. can I see over something I am hiding behind? yes or no

bullet sponges is subjective and its not an item that was a deal breaker for me. the above absolutly was

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    SEANMCAD said:

Here is a few explict questions for you given you are saying that the released version is different

1. do they have a 1st person view option now? yes or no
    2. do they have jump now? yes or no
    3. do they still have autoduck? yes or no
    4. do they still have UI all over the enviroment, over enamies heads etc? yes or no
    5. can I see over something I am hiding behind? yes or no

bullet sponges is subjective and its not an item that was a deal breaker for me. the above absolutly was
    not like they ever intended to either.... Anyone getting the game and complaning about those things are just... well.. soft in the noggin. 

This have been a good conversation