Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW Classic server additions discussion

danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
edited May 2016 in World of Warcraft
If you do not want classic servers at all this discussion is not for you.  Please do not post here flaming about people who want this.

If Blizzard has Official Classic WOW servers what are some of the new features that WOW has today that you would like to see in Classic WOW servers?  Or are there other things you would like to be added that might help you and your friends manage group events?

Features that are not acceptable for discussions are.

LFD 
LFR
Today's Dungeons which are AOE fest and that require no group coordination of CCs and roles of group members
Today's talent trees
No instance teleport to dungeons 

The point of Classic servers is the content and social environment that WOW does not have anymore.

Some of my ideas are as follows

• In Game Calendar\WOW Phone app to talk to guild mates 
  • Extending Raid Lockouts and Dungeon Lockouts so our Premade groups can go back and finish later
  • Tabards that give you faction when running dungeons and in PVP
  • having to hit accept before talents get set
EDIT

None of this should be done at launch.  These things I think should be looked at when the servers are up and running, stable and the player base is set.  So 3 to 6 months out.  

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I liked Vanilla WoW as it was.

- Druids were nerffed in Vanilla WoW, so maybe a little love their.

- Maybe a little more healing mana for the healing classes at lower levels.

That's it that's my list !

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Nothing. Just the way it was would be fine. Discussions like these are the reason why we'll never get a classic server. Because people are hand picking features of the new wow to put in the classic one and everyone has another list of features they'd want.
  • NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480
    edited May 2016
    I don't think it work work at this point. The people that played back in vanilla moved on long ago, I doubt many would come back. Plus even the vanilla game just wouldn't stand up to the modern competition without at least some updates.

WOW is doomed, it's only a matter of time now. Theres free to play MMOs which are so much better than the current wow offering.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I'd like to see UI from Burning Crusade instead of Vanilla if they can implement that. Many of the addons made for WoW Vanilla were able to automate too much.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    All Vanilla needs is a better UI - the one used in TBC should work just fine. I wouldn't touch anything else at launch really.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Classic WoW doesn't need any of these features we're suppose to discuss here.

However, there are two things i'd like to see in official legacy servers that are not implemented neither in Nostalrius or in Kronos:

1) LFG tool as it was in patch 2.0.1 for a short period of time. No queue, no automated group finding, no teleportation. Just a list of players willing to do certain group content for you to send tell and invite to your dungeon/raid group.

2) Summoning stones. In classic WoW we had meeting stones in front of dungeon entrances to indicate the location of a dungeon. Later they were converted to function as a summoning spell similar to warlocks' ritual of summoning.
  • AgeniAgeni Member UncommonPosts: 44
    If you want legacy server, why you want some additional changes ?? I don't understand it, legacy is legacy as it was, so stop asking these questions. It's really make me angry.

!!!!!!!!! Vanilla and TBC needs to be as it was, NO CHANGES AT ALL !!!!!!!!!

Now you can lock this topic.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Robokapp said:
    deniter said:

1) LFG tool as it was in patch 2.0.1 for a short period of time. No queue, no automated group finding, no teleportation. Just a list of players willing to do certain group content for you to send tell and invite to your dungeon/raid group.
    the eyeball "list your name" type of thing? It never really worked though...
    It did work, at least on server i was playing at that time.

People still spammed LFG channel for getting groups, but there was an additional interface to find the missing party members.

I remember thinking how awesome it could be if you had a check box in your quest log for all group quests as well, so that other players could see i needed a group for that quest and could send me a tell or even a group invite.
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    If you are going to do a classic server then it needs to be the way that it was or else it isn't a classic server.

No changes.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I would like to see them implement proper housing , with the Leagacy server and we could decorate like Willy Wonka , Ya know have the wallpaper that if you "Lick a Strawberry , It Taste like a Strawberry":). And my very own Ommpa-Loompa to look after the house ..  And that boat that Willy had so i could speed down a chocolate river to my Dungeon Instance ... 
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Ageni said:
    If you want legacy server, why you want some additional changes ?? I don't understand it, legacy is legacy as it was, so stop asking these questions. It's really make me angry.

!!!!!!!!! Vanilla and TBC needs to be as it was, NO CHANGES AT ALL !!!!!!!!!

Now you can lock this topic.
    It can make you angry all you want @Ageni.  There are people that want Legacy servers that want small additions added to Legacy because they help today's MMORPG gamer who have less time than we had 10 years ago play through very large and time consuming content.  

Take BlackRock Depths for example.  10 years ago I could spend 6+ hours doing that dungeon.  Today sorry no I cannot find 6+ hours to do anything other than work.  Am I asking to change the content to make it easier?  Hell no and nor do I want it to be easier.  Do I want less bosses and want it streamlined like it is today?  Hell no.  What do I want changed?  So I can save my progress through it with my group of friends who can cut up that 1 large dungeon over 3 nights.   

As Mark Kern said.  Everyone who ever wanted to play World Of Warcraft has now tried WOW.  But there are veterans who want to come back to the WOW they loved.

I am one of these vets, I am just asking to make some minor changes none of these changes I suggest is what made WOW what it is today.  So get as mad and as worked up as you want.  People like me signed the petition and have sent Blizzard messages about wanting Legacy servers.  So as much as you want Legacy servers you still will have people like us that will ask for minor changes no matter if you get angry like a little kid or not.  

The real message is people want Vanilla/TBC Like content where you don't run into a dungeon and pull pack after pack of mobs and AOE them down.  People want a return to CC.  People want dungeons where you can fail and not kill the last boss if you dont have teamwork.  People want Raids where you spend months learning and doing the content not raids you spend a month doing and cancel your sub.  People also want the social aspect in MMOs back where people need to become friends and need to rely on other people not play the game Solo like WOW is today.  It's not that Legacy servers were perfect as they were, yes the content was a lot better than today but the game did have warts.  
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Nothing should be changed.  If you're looking for something to be changed, you don't want a classic server.  

Blizzard would be the absolute last developer I would seek out to run a classic server.  They have proven time and again that they can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar.  You can't have a classic server if you're looking to "fix" things.  Remember, it was vanilla WoW with all it's blemishes that launched everything.  That perfect storm was a combination of things... one of which was an imperfect game.  You can't change anything without altering the very essence of what classic means.
    Robokapp said:
    deniter said:

the eyeball "list your name" type of thing? It never really worked though...
    It only partly worked.  If you were a Healer or Tank it worked well enough.  When you were a DPS with 40 other DPS it was useless.  

If you really want a LFG tool it should be two fold.  List players and their character information that are looking for groups and list groups looking for players as well as what they are looking for and player types.  That would make grouping without LFD a hell of a lot better.  If you are a first timer to a raid you dont join up to a raid that requires you to be raid geared and know all the bosses, you join that newb Raid group that is listed where people are just learning the bosses.  This is why Automated grouping tools fail.  It throws random people of different skill and raid experience into the raid who likely will not get along together just so they can all see the content instead of having players be responsible for their own enjoyment. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Vanilla could do with guards that actually did something. At least in lower level areas, have higher level guards protecting towns, otherwise you have the 60's that camp on top of the roof killing everything in the entire town over and over.
    Pepeq said:
    Nothing should be changed.  If you're looking for something to be changed, you don't want a classic server.  

Blizzard would be the absolute last developer I would seek out to run a classic server.  They have proven time and again that they can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar.  You can't have a classic server if you're looking to "fix" things.  Remember, it was vanilla WoW with all it's blemishes that launched everything.  That perfect storm was a combination of things... one of which was an imperfect game.  You can't change anything without altering the very essence of what classic means.
    This is where I disagree Pepeq.  Let's say we add the In Game Calendar.  what is the essence of Classic that we are changing?  Forcing people to sign up on websites?  

Ok lets go with that.  10 years ago even the most casual of raiding guild had signups for websites.  Yet the majority of their raiders didn't sign up for raids.  People ended up showing up for the raids which were cancelled because not enough people signed up.  This pissed off a lot of people because well people shown up to raid and raids didnt get kicked off.  The Most hardcore or even progression raiding guilds required sign ups.  The Hardcore raiding guilds forced sign ups or you didnt go.  Progression guilds for the most part required sign ups BUT they took people who didnt sign up; for example my raiding guild during Vanilla.  If we were on Rag and our 2 Dark Iron geared tanks didnt sign up we would cancel the raid at raid time.  Yet if either shown up and wanted to go at the last minute because they didnt know if they were coming we took them.  It was cut and dry, Without 250 Fire Resist tanks you couldnt down Rag period.  So it was a wasted night if they didnt show up.  

Also what other Essence of Classic WOW would having an In Game Calendar hurt?  O yea having a website.  Well back in Classic you had to log onto the website to even sign up.  You even got a lot of people posted on a daily bases.

Let's fast forward to today.  You have people who use to spend endless hours on websites for our guilds yet today do people rarely even use websites for anything revolving around their Guilds.  Partly because guilds are useless and partly because people would rather spend time playing the game they enjoy then being on the guild website chatting it up.  You dont need a website to have a social environment in a guild.  Example is my SWTOR guild.  I tried for 2 months to get people to sign up for raids and even talk on the website and had over 300 hours logged in time on the website.  The next person in line to my time logged onto the website?  45 Minutes.  How did my SWTOR Progressive raiding guild do?   Good raiding was easy outside the bugs, we ran a ton of flashpoints chatted daily on TS.  The website was at least 10 hours of wasted design time for no benefit.  This started when WOW added the In Game Calendar.

Partly I am glad for the WOW in game calendar because twice during vanilla did I have to rebuild the MYSQL database for my WOW Raiding guild which took me around 17 hours to rebuild adding record by record into the database.  Yes I can pay money for a company to do that now.  But why would I spend a dime on a Website when a few people will sign up for the website and then not use it?  I will give you a hint.  I wouldnt.  

So what Essence of Classic WOW am I asking to change?  Yep that's it a massive headache.  Hell I am in a large Multi Game guild right now and there is no desire to spend time building all the must have management tools into the guild that was required 10 years ago.  How it is that when a large guild like that the leadership core says we know people want to do it but we dont because its a headache to manage all that crap again?  

If you talk about Essence as in shit making all the Legacy mobs exactly like they are in live WOW today.  I would agree with you because that does change the Essence of the game.  Adding a calendar in game does not change that.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    the new character modells maybe?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    As was said in many other threads.  You do not want Classic you want a WoW reboot.  Not going to happen.  Juice is not worth the squeeze for Blizzard.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    What? Why? No! ... change nothing. The entire point of the server is the added revenue for Blizzard without needing to invest much aside from the usual maintenance/administration. If theyre going to start adding any of the convenience features they have added they may as well just do what they can with Legion.

Besides, im sure Blizzard is hard at work figuring out how they can shoehorn as many cash shop items into these classic servers as they can. I wouldnt be too surprised if they added flight just so they can sell all those mounts. That is, assuming they decide the juice is worth the squeeze and end up doing anything at all.
    edited May 2016
    I don't know if you are aware, but there is a survey being conducted by ex-WoW developer Mark Kern on issues concerning legacy servers. The information provided will be discussed in the Nostalrius team's meeting with Blizzard. If you haven't taken the survey, please take a moment and fill it in.

http://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44103#p307177

You will notice that somewhere in the survey, there is the question: "I would like Blizzard to add content (Land & Lore only) on their Blizzard legacy servers" (a) during the official timeline and, (b) after the official timeline.

So in my view I think that if Blizzard were to add an official legacy subscription-based server, additional content in the context described above wouldn't be entirely out of the question. And it would add to the longevity of the server.

Galadourn said:
    I don't know if you are aware, but there is a survey being conducted by ex-WoW developer Mark Kern on issues concerning legacy servers. The information provided will be discussed in the Nostalrius team's meeting with Blizzard. If you haven't taken the survey, please take a moment and fill it in.

You will notice that somewhere in the survey, there is the question: "I would like Blizzard to add content (Land & Lore only) on their Blizzard legacy servers" (a) during the official timeline and, (b) after the official timeline.

So in my view I think that if Blizzard were to add an official legacy subscription-based server, additional content in the context described above wouldn't be entirely out of the question. And it would add to the longevity of the server.

What survey has nothing to do with what Blizzard is thinking about only what Kern is thinking about.
    Horusra said:

What survey has nothing to do with what Blizzard is thinking about only what Kern is thinking about.
    Yes, but it will set the basis for discussion.
    Galadourn said:
    Horusra said:

It is better to say it will be discussed than "wouldn't be entirely out of the question."  That phrase makes it seem like you know Blizzard has possible interest.  Cause the first moment Kern brings it up Blizzard could just say no without letting him finish his statement.
    Horusra said:
    Galadourn said:
    Horusra said:

It is better to say it will be discussed than "wouldn't be entirely out of the question."  That phrase makes it seem like you know Blizzard has possible interest.  Cause the first moment Kern brings it up Blizzard could just say no without letting him finish his statement.
    We don't even know for sure Blizzard will agree to a legacy server, let alone an active development legacy server scheme.

Still, it doesn't hurt to dream.
    edited May 2016
    Galadourn said:

@Galadourn ;

Thank you man.  I sent this out to my friends.  All are calling for the Calendar in game Plus phone App and Extended lockouts for dungeons and raids.

We might want to send this link out to many others.  Do you know if Mark Kern has tweeted this out?
    danwest58 said:

Thank you man.  I sent this out to my friends.  All are calling for the Calendar in game Plus phone App and Extended lockouts for dungeons and raids.

We might want to send this link out to many others.  Do you know if Mark Kern has tweeted this out?
    No idea really.