Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Rift is going to destroy families and relationships

Comments

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Forget relationships ending, people can t even start them nowadays with out websites. To say TV, cell phones and video games to name a few haven t made the world a little less social, is, IMO, just being blind. I remember actually talking to females and getting their numbers face to face , not some profile video and some program telling me who I am compatible with. I did the old fashioned way , and we re still married after 18 years.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    SEANMCAD said:
    lol. I thought about posting that article as well.

1. they said that about TV back in the day
    And they were right.  Many families sit around their TV's like mindless zombies just intaking garbage until they go to bed.

SEANMCAD said:

2. they said that about computer games just a few decades ago
    They were right again.  I know many families that don't a damn thing about their children, especially young boys who sit in front of their consoles from the time they get home from school until they go to bed.  

My 15 year old son whines and complains when we have mandatory family time because his friends never have to walk away from their games.  One day he'll realize the importance of what I'm doing, but not while he's 15.  I can't expect him to understand yet.  That's the miracle of growing up, the more you grow up and grow inside, the more you realize what a moron you were.  One day he'll appreciate it.

SEANMCAD said:

3. they assume any and all human realtionships are better to have then a digital life and for those who come from families of abuse I think its fair to say their realtionships with technology is better than with people so I dont accept that realtionships with people are by default better than realtionships with technology.
    This is an ridiculous straw man argument.  Being able to put on some VR headsets will not, in one tiny little bit, change the reality of the abuse.  Children of abusive parents have entirely different problems which need to be addressed.  It's not even the subject of this discussion.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

3. they assume any and all human realtionships are better to have then a digital life and for those who come from families of abuse I think its fair to say their realtionships with technology is better than with people so I dont accept that realtionships with people are by default better than realtionships with technology.

I saw it on Drudge report and thought I should forward this lol... Thought it was interesting topic for discussion..
    I forgot to add number 4

4. if a relationship are so fragile that they can be destroyed by TV...oh I mean by video games...oh I mean by VR then maybe a relationship is over rated

This cold callousness right here is the problem with society today.  Mocking addiction and pushing it off as "Wasn't mean to be anyways" is a depth of social depravity that I haven't come to grips with yet.

Yes, we are all "more connected" these days with social media.  But what people don't realize is that it's all superficial bullshit.  Taking a selfie of yourself eating dinner at an expensive restaurant and posting to facebook is not social interaction.  It's a form of narcissism.

People don't sit down and have in depth conversations anymore and if someone gets on facebook and attempts to put something real and heartfelt down, then you can literally count the seconds or minutes until someone posts a superficial and completely unhelpful meme.

The OR and other devices are only going exacerbate the already existing social void that other electronic devices have created, not help to resolve it in any way.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    H0urg1ass said:

This cold callousness right here is the problem with society today.  Mocking addiction and pushing it off as "Wasn't mean to be anyways" is a depth of social depravity that I haven't come to grips with yet.

Yes, we are all "more connected" these days with social media.  But what people don't realize is that it's all superficial bullshit.  Taking a selfie of yourself eating dinner at an expensive restaurant and posting to facebook is not social interaction.  It's a form of narcissism.

People don't sit down and have in depth conversations anymore and if someone gets on facebook and attempts to put something real and heartfelt down, then you can literally count the seconds or minutes until someone posts a superficial and completely unhelpful meme.

The OR and other devices are only going exacerbate the already existing social void that other electronic devices have created, not help to resolve it in any way.
    Sorry but I am going to have to disagree and to be frank those who think human to human realtionships are by default better than digital ones are the folks that are going to be impact the most by the change that is happening.

I have been in many social situations in which I was completely and totally bored out of my mind, I have been in social situations that was more like a combat zone then a social situation. I have been in digital experiences (in fact to be frank most) that are better than most social situations.

Oh and there is NOTHING 'pushing off' about being furious at the suggestion that a child who is abused should be spending more time with his parents then with digital games. Have you ever known someone in that situation? I have

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

DMKano said:
    Addiction is what destroys families, be it games, gambling, alcohol, etc... those are interchangeable. 

The root of the issue is always the person, Occulus Rift can't jump and attach itself to your face.

If something doesn't have a will of its own, chances are it's not the cause of your problems, might want to look in the mirror instead.

actually...

the root cause of addiction is almost always child abuse and the root cause is not the abused but the abuser

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Kyleran said:
    botrytis said:
    When growing up, I didn't have all these devices, I actually had to go outside and play. If I wanted to pretend, I didn't put on goggles, etc, I just did.

You are right, Mom just threw is out the door in the rain, snow, sleet, or shine and told us to come back at dinner.

Our days were full of fun activities such as smoking cigarettes, reading Penthouse, Hustler at the local bookstore, vandalism of private and public property, gang fighting, trying to get in a girl's pants, alcohol and illegal drug consumption.

But good thing we didn't waste any time on computer games. :p
    LOL That just tells me your parents failed at parenting.
    Albatroes said:
    And here I was uninformed that at least 60% of households dont even have the tech to run OR properly....yeah, the end times are upon us. Sadly, not many people are gonna drop 1k on a rig and like 400-600 on the OR?
    and they aint playing The Division, Quantum Break or Forza either on their computer that can run those games as recomended

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Sorry but I am going to have to disagree and to be frank those who think human to human realtionships are by default better than digital ones are the folks that are going to be impact the most by the change that is happening.

I have been in many social situations in which I was completely and totally bored out of my mind, I have been in social situations that was more like a combat zone then a social situation. I have been in digital experiences (in fact to be frank most) that are better than most social situations.

Oh and there is NOTHING 'pushing off' about being furious at the suggestion that a child who is abused should be spending more time with his parents then with digital games. Have you ever known someone in that situation? I have

Are you a parent?
    edited May 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:

And they were right.  Many families sit around their TV's like mindless zombies just intaking garbage until they go to bed.

my point in saying that was not to suggest TV hasnt. My point in saying it was that the article should have said:

'in a long line of many things that have already 'destroyed' human realtionships we would like to add another to the list rather than suggesting this specific one is the straw that broke the back'

• DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Lol, some of these comments are pure entertainment, in a sad way.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SEANMCAD said:
    DMKano said:
    Addiction is what destroys families, be it games, gambling, alcohol, etc... those are interchangeable. 

The root of the issue is always the person, Occulus Rift can't jump and attach itself to your face.

If something doesn't have a will of its own, chances are it's not the cause of your problems, might want to look in the mirror instead.
    actually...

the root cause of addiction is almost always child abuse and the root cause is not the abused but the abuser
    There are many reasons why someone wants to avoid reality, some people don't like where their life is heading, some are just bored or have an addictive personality, some have problem with money or athorities... Whatever Freud thought there is no simple explenation that fits everyone.

And not all people who got abused as children flee to different addictions either. 

As addictions go, VR isn't one of the really bad ones. Drug abuse, crimes, violence, alcoholism and a whole bunch of others are far worse. It is of course better to face reality and just game as entertainment without letting it become the meaning of your life but it could be worse. The difference between being hooked up and be stuck with your noose in fiction books all the time is rather small.
    edited May 2016
    Loke666 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    DMKano said:

actually...

There are many reasons why someone wants to avoid reality, some people don't like where their life is heading, some are just bored or have an addictive personality, some have problem with money or athorities... Whatever Freud thought there is no simple explenation that fits everyone.

And not all people who got abused as children flee to different addictions either. 

As addictions go, VR isn't one of the really bad ones. Drug abuse, crimes, violence, alcoholism and a whole bunch of others are far worse. It is of course better to face reality and just game as entertainment without letting it become the meaning of your life but it could be worse. The difference between being hooked up and be stuck with your noose in fiction books all the time is rather small.
    The vast majority of real addiction is related to child abuse and the abuser is to blame not the abused.

I am not just making this up flippinly out of my ass
    http://drgabormate.com/book/in-the-realm-of-hungry-ghosts/

also...the vast majority of what the general population calls 'addiction' isnt an addiction.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    People do discriminate against different hobbies. Why is okay to bury your head in a book for hours and not even acknowledge others but its not okay to bury yourself in a video game. Of course people will argue oh books impart more knowledge ......not if you're reading romance novels it does not.

edited May 2016
    kitarad said:
    People do discriminate against different hobbies. Why is okay to bury your head in a book for hours and not even acknowledge others but its not okay to bury yourself in a video game. Of course people will argue oh books impart more knowledge ......not if you're reading romance novels it does not.
    very well said

and to expand that a bit I find it insulting that some people think their time with you is so valuable that its of more value then the words some of the best minds in human history that could very well be in that book your are reading. I think such people are just loney and looking for someone to control. but that is my bias

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited May 2016
    And yet as soon as you fall in love with someone and enjoy their company none of the other shit matters. Games, books, movies all become secondary. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

They were right again.  I know many families that don't a damn thing about their children, especially young boys who sit in front of their consoles from the time they get home from school until they go to bed.  

My 15 year old son whines and complains when we have mandatory family time because his friends never have to walk away from their games.  One day he'll realize the importance of what I'm doing, but not while he's 15.  I can't expect him to understand yet.  That's the miracle of growing up, the more you grow up and grow inside, the more you realize what a moron you were.  One day he'll appreciate it.

SEANMCAD said:

This is an ridiculous straw man argument.  Being able to put on some VR headsets will not, in one tiny little bit, change the reality of the abuse.  Children of abusive parents have entirely different problems which need to be addressed.  It's not even the subject of this discussion.

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I saw it on Drudge report and thought I should forward this lol... Thought it was interesting topic for discussion..
    I forgot to add number 4

4. if a relationship are so fragile that they can be destroyed by TV...oh I mean by video games...oh I mean by VR then maybe a relationship is over rated

I agree, with the caveat that these kinds of problems have always existed in one form or another; the Oculus Rift is not to blame, as the article suggests.

This is not to minimize the struggles some people go through; they are absolutely critical things that need to be addressed.  However, pinning those types of problems on a piece of hardware is as much a minimization of what is really going on, to me.

I really don't think it's technology, at all; like in the prehistoric days some people just weren't fit fathers because they would go out and stare at stars all night, but some of those people became shamans and would contribute to society in their own special way.

Having a family is a calling; not everyone is suited for it, and not everyone has a choice.  If you are lucky enough to have one, it's definitely deserving of your attention above 99.99% of all the given qualia in existence, and it's something that takes gentleness, patience, and love.

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited May 2016

I agree, with the caveat that these kinds of problems have always existed in one form or another; the Oculus Rift is not to blame, as the article suggests.

This is not to minimize the struggles some people go through; they are absolutely critical things that need to be addressed.  However, pinning those types of problems on a piece of hardware is as much a minimization of what is really going on, to me.

I really don't think it's technology, at all; like in the prehistoric days some people just weren't fit fathers because they would go out and stare at stars all night, but some of those people became shamans and would contribute to society in their own special way.

Having a family is a calling; not everyone is suited for it, and not everyone has a choice.  If you are lucky enough to have one, it's definitely deserving of your attention above 99.99% of all the given qualia in existence, and it's something that takes gentleness, patience, and love.

/2c
    I just dont agree.

As a random example I dont believe that the words of Daddy are better than the words of plato or socrates as an example (aka books)

I dont think people really have yet fully grasped the fact that it is possible that machine can be (and in many cases ARE) better than human and those who havent come to terms with that are going to struggle a lot in this modern age 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    SEANMCAD said:

/2c
    I just dont agree.

As a random example I dont believe that the words of Daddy are better than the words of plato or socrates as an example (aka books)

I dont think people really have yet fully grasped the fact that it is possible that machine can be (and in many cases ARE) better than human and those who havent come to terms with that are going to struggle a lot in this modern age 
    Well, that's pretty philosophical, but it certainly isn't a new idea or one endemic to "this modern age".

Before we go down the rabbit hole of discussing p-zombies ad nauseam, let me suggest that anyone suggesting machines are better than humans in terms of relationships is indeed a cold, callous person, provided s/he has already witnessed the entrance of another life into this world.

The psychedelicateur Ott describes becoming a father as 'the most psychedelic experience ever':

Psychedelic, of course, meaning 'that which feeds the psyche'.

tl;dr if you're not a dad, you wouldn't understand

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Kyleran said:
    botrytis said:
    When growing up, I didn't have all these devices, I actually had to go outside and play. If I wanted to pretend, I didn't put on goggles, etc, I just did.

You are right, Mom just threw is out the door in the rain, snow, sleet, or shine and told us to come back at dinner.

Our days were full of fun activities such as smoking cigarettes, reading Penthouse, Hustler at the local bookstore, vandalism of private and public property, gang fighting, trying to get in a girl's pants, alcohol and illegal drug consumption.

But good thing we didn't waste any time on computer games. :p
    Thank you Kyleran for this. Thank you
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    SEANMCAD said:

/2c
    I just dont agree.

Well, that's pretty philosophical, but it certainly isn't a new idea or one endemic to "this modern age".

Before we go down the rabbit hole of discussing p-zombies ad nauseam, let me suggest that anyone suggesting machines are better than humans in terms of relationships is indeed a cold, callous person, provided s/he has already witnessed the entrance of another life into this world.

The psychedelicateur Ott describes becoming a father as 'the most psychedelic experience ever':

Psychedelic, of course, meaning 'that which feeds the psyche'.

tl;dr if you're not a dad, you wouldn't understand
    I guess then we have to disagree.

My very long running years of experience has been that on average people are WAY over rated.

family bonding was more important during the era when most people where farmers and having any book was a luxury

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Now! Just in time for Christmas.. It's the family saving device craved for by millions of neglected families everywhere! The Oculus Sledgehammer.. For just 3 easy payments of $99.99, you will receive not one, but TWO, Oculus Sledgehammers.. What a bargain!

But seriously.. Lost in a VR world? Learn self-control.. Neglected family member? Rip off the damn headset.. Case closed..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    This reminds me of the geniuses that said TV was going ruin everyone's minds.......
    We can all laugh, but....

Measured against the values and ethics of their day, those geniuses could successfully argue that they were right.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    This reminds me of the geniuses that said TV was going ruin everyone's minds.......
    We can all laugh, but....

Measured against the values and ethics of their day, those geniuses could successfully argue that they were right.
    is successfully arguing to be right the same thing as actually being right?

edited May 2016
    Maybe my family life really wasnt all that great because to be honest the idea of spending more time with siblings and parents over technology to me sounds like its unbearably boring and I likely wouldnt be playing video games much if at all

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Reality tv is based on cheap to produce and reproduce gimmicks. They don't and haven't cared what the audience has wanted in years. Well that is until A&E brought out breaking bad and suddenly every show is a ten foot deep 7 season arc. (Sweet god thank you A&E!).

So using "Tv already has made people stupid" just makes you assumptive.

Hell look at dumb ass Rick and Morty.. Dumb as hell yet ..YEAH! SCIENCE!.

VR is no different than my face crammed into the newest moba (Total moba addict here) via a TV or via a OR Desktop app found on steam.
    It's no different than my girl playing criminal case to level like 230 now or some absurd number for hours on end via her pc. If we want to chat we'll talk ffs.

There is no rift. It's just humans not needing humans as much in a relationship anymore due to outside distractions.

I'd say Tech has made via force to stay closer and thus the "I'm sick of you hun" syndrome kicks in. I'm sure as hell not out at night with the boys, in some workshop fixing a car or playing me some touch football with work league. No I'm playing paragon. She's def not out rocking it girls night ...she's playing bubble criminal crush case II: The mysterious jewel caper.

Of course most base relationships on a two year short term plan so yeah it can drive a wedge i guess...like anything can but as your relationship gets older.. Well anyone over the 3-4 year mark can understand.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited May 2016

You don't need OR to tune people out of your life.  If it isn't OR, it would be something else.  Back in the day, when there wasn't a TV, or a computer, or some other gadget, it was simply a newspaper or a magazine. Dad would sit in his chair with his newspaper, or Mom would sit on the couch with her magazine, and they would both be dead to the world around them.  

Blaming TV, computers, or what have you, because your partner isn't giving you the attention you desire is not the fault of the TV, computer, or what have you.  The fault lies in you.  If not because you're not interesting enough to keep his/her respect and attention, but because you picked that loser, or would allow that loser, to put that TV, computer, or what have you, ahead of you, your relationship, and the family, in the first place.