Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Griefers! Good Riddance.

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    whilan said:
    Kyleran said:

One scenario is 60 members of a griefing clan could target a player and significantly shorten their lifespan, perhaps driving them from the game repeatedly.
    This is actually very insightful and should be pondered.
    Anything is possible and SS will have to handle that on a case by case basis but they have made mention that there is a cool down timer between loss of spirit for being killed, so they would have to time that. Assuming they can find you again after your first death. They've also made mention that the world is pretty big so staying away from the clan should be somewhat easy.

Also no one has nameplates over their heads so if you changed clothes they could potentionally lose you in the sea of other people.  The only way they can see it is if they "know" you and that's a task in itself.
    It would appear they have this mitigated somewhat with this ". Additionally, you can only lose spirit every 2.5 hours, meaning that you cannot be Coup de Graced over and over."

It does mean that after your first Coup de Graced you have a two hour invulnerability window as it were.
    They can still kill you repeatedly.  This really solves nothing at all.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited May 2016
    There will be defiantly bandit raiders guilds and wars between kingdoms there will be plenty to kill I think If a legendary player become king he can make you an contract to become a solder  an he can enroll a huge army and go against other kingdoms .
    This game gives unlimited opportunities
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited May 2016
    Killing another player in a game that allows you to kill another player isn't griefing. 

Griefing is harassing another player in game beyond how the mechanics of the game were intended.

Putting bandit behavior behind a pay wall is pretty stupid. Just remove it from the game if it's that serious. WTF? XD
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    There will be defiantly bandit raiders guilds and wars between kingdoms there will be plenty to kill I think If a legendary player become king he can make you an contract to become a solder  an he can enroll a huge army and go against other kingdoms .
    This idea sounds good.  Just hope they are able to identify all the potential exploits that happen when you mix pvp/pve players together.  So I'm a griefer and i get my hp really low then walk into the aoe of a pve player and he kills me.  Now he's in trouble for killing another player.  Two kingdoms are fighting and some healer comes along and starts healing one of them even though he's pve.  So naturally you kill the healer but now you are tagged as a killer for killing a pve player.  Yes there's a ton of these things and they need to know them beforehand or it will be a disaster.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Why?

Aren't PvP'ers uber and skillful?

Or....just perhaps....Real PvP'ers will understand WHY griefing and being a dick is bad for PvP games and it is only the other type of PvP'er that would complain.

Perhaps this will persuade the wanna be PvP'ers who actually do not have any skill but instead pick their fights against people that will offer little to no PvP to curb their behavior and fight only those they are at war with or stand a chance and not some noob in the starter towns. 

My biggest grip about PvP in MMORPG's is the outcry when penalties are introduced to try and encourage good PvP and dissuade bad PvP but try telling that to the 'real' PvP'ers that are just there to Grief others and not to actually engage in fun PvP.

Good move if you ask me.

A fight against the hard kid in school was always worth the wait. A fight against the skinny short kid with glasses....that is just a bully being a bully. 
    It might work, yes. But the real problem is that the mechanics is made so there are fights with "little to no PvP" challenge.

The real way to stop griefers is to make each fight challenging, that is also a solution that makes the game more fun.

I get the feeling that Elyrias mechanics really are made to make PvE fun, not PvP and while this mechanic should help somewhat it is far from perfect. Combat should always be challenging in a PvP game, FPS games know this but MMOs have always had a problem to get progression and fun combat work together.

I kinda think they should have opted for something similar to GW2s way to lock your progression to the zone your in instead. But I guess this will earn more money at least.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    This reminds me a bit if Meridian.  In that game if you were a PKer you had to really watch your back and were pretty limited.  This mechanic might mean that a careful PK who is also really good might have a real challenge and enjoy themselves.  They will also gain some true notoriety.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
     This will limit the amount of dickhead pvpers I totally agree with this system. The problem with pvp a lot of times is the zergfests. And jsut the fact that you can steal peoples identities is F****** awsome. Theres many other ways to enjoy pvp in this game and im super stoked. Allmost at 200k and only 4 hrs in.
  • RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    filmoret said:
    This idea sounds good.  Just hope they are able to identify all the potential exploits that happen when you mix pvp/pve players together.  So I'm a griefer and i get my hp really low then walk into the aoe of a pve player and he kills me.  Now he's in trouble for killing another player.  Two kingdoms are fighting and some healer comes along and starts healing one of them even though he's pve.  So naturally you kill the healer but now you are tagged as a killer for killing a pve player.  Yes there's a ton of these things and they need to know them beforehand or it will be a disaster.
      Why would a pve player get flagged if he killed a red griefer?? Logic is not there son.
  • JonrilusJonrilus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Kyleran said:
    Yet another odd mechanic in a game full of them. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

One scenario is 60 members of a griefing clan could target a player and significantly shorten their lifespan, perhaps driving them from the game repeatedly.

A valid concern, Kyleran, but fortunately not applicable here.  There is a cap on how much spirit loss is possible within a set amount of time which is precisely to prevent the outcome you envision here.

And to the concerns that Avannah is addressing about griefers and what it might be worth to them to continue their griefing...

As long as there is a hint of PvP in any game there will be the psychopathic element feverishly looking to exploit it for the sole reason of ruining your gaming day - that is just the way it is.  But as a gaming hobbyist, I'll be horse whipped if I'm going to allow that to cause me to run and hide, and those expressing concern here shouldn't either.

The penalties for griefing in CoE are substantial in their design.  I encourage those interested to read the Developer Journals in that regard.  And when you do, look at the subject within context.  Shortening our lifespan is not a simple matter of finally falling over and getting back up a minute later to continue your nefarious ways.  There is continuity along the Soul continuum, but you begin at the beginning - it's a true life cycle.  You do bring advantages from your former life, so it's not a complete break.  And you do retain important elements such as the all-important family connections.  But that teen that you incarnate into is in no way in any condition to immediately resume life as some dark Robin Hood.  lol

Out of context, any system that has elements that evoke the worst fears in people is going to be seen in its most unappealing light.  And if there were validity to the fears, I would not have backed the effort.  I detest PK'ers, I always have.  But at the same time I never run from them.  And to the extent that we do take these things on faith, the developers have given enough assurance that they feel the same way and will make the negatives weighty enough so that such incidences are few and far between.

J
  • VucarVucar Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Kyleran said:
    whilan said:
    Kyleran said:

Anything is possible and SS will have to handle that on a case by case basis but they have made mention that there is a cool down timer between loss of spirit for being killed, so they would have to time that. Assuming they can find you again after your first death. They've also made mention that the world is pretty big so staying away from the clan should be somewhat easy.

Also no one has nameplates over their heads so if you changed clothes they could potentionally lose you in the sea of other people.  The only way they can see it is if they "know" you and that's a task in itself.
    It would appear they have this mitigated somewhat with this ". Additionally, you can only lose spirit every 2.5 hours, meaning that you cannot be Coup de Graced over and over."

It does mean that after your first Coup de Graced you have a two hour invulnerability window as it were.
    My interpretation is that you can continue to be coup de graced if you continue to be found and stay in the area for some reason, but you will lose no more game time after the first CDG for 2.5 hours.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    eastlink said:
    Avanah I think you may be reading it wrong. The aticle says 10-14 months per spark. So if your realy good you get 14 months life and 10 if your realy bad. Thats how im reading it anyway.
    Every time you are jailed it would lower your lifespan so it could shorten it to weeks instead of months if you were stupid enough to keep doing it.
    Rasiem said:
    filmoret said:
      Why would a pve player get flagged if he killed a red griefer?? Logic is not there son.
    You think that a player must be red in order to do this?  No the really bad part is if this is ignored then green players will be responsible for causing other green players to turn red simply because they walked into their aoe.  Sorry I been playing open world mmo pvp since 1996 so I've seen a lot of ways to exploit and grief.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    another sad game trying to change the rules to player vs player. Thats why games with realm vs realm do so well , it caters to both crowds. Ive played both styles over the years and all the open world pvp games the mentality of the average player is leagues different than that of a realm vs realm pvp player.  If you want a open world pvp game people expect to grief and people expect to hunt players , take bounties on players, and murder others...its the point of a brutal open world pvp system. This to me is just another sad attempt at a company to spin the game to people who hate being killed while killing 1000 wolves or goblins... Either you go for the open world pvp crowd or you go for the pve crowd you cant do both , unless you just change the game to a realm vs realm game.
  • MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    I  will just go ahead and say that the game is in the early, early stages of development. If it were a fetus, it could still be aborted. Everything the devs say they are going to do is all hogwash until it is actually in game. We can speculate until we are blue in the face. I will just say that this mechanic will stop 0 griefing. 

2 days off your "life" per death. A "life spark" lasts, at most, 14 months. You can die 210 times before you end your life in that manner. Even if you play for 7 months straight before a death you still get 105 deaths. That means that your 30$ "life spark" is going to last you an insanely long time regardless of how you play the game. If you played for two months (the general cost of an MMO sub is 15$/month) to get your money worth out of the "life spark" you could then go ahead and die 180 times before your time runs out.

Also take into account we do not know how combat works. We don't know how hard it is to kill someone, we know nothing but the concept of the game.
  • EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I think it is too early to say.  It sounds like PVP will mainly be through wars the player kingdoms and towns declare.  People who are used to "kill everyone I see, especially people twenty levels below me"  style PVP may be disappointed.  But as MMO after MMO has proved, that sort of kill everyone on sight PVP tends to drive away all the other playstyles and customers.  Why bother creating all these social and economic systems if pSyK0kill3r666 and his like are running around like this was a MOBA?  
    Ehliya said:
    I think it is too early to say.  It sounds like PVP will mainly be through wars the player kingdoms and towns declare.  People who are used to "kill everyone I see, especially people twenty levels below me"  style PVP may be disappointed.  But as MMO after MMO has proved, that sort of kill everyone on sight PVP tends to drive away all the other playstyles and customers.  Why bother creating all these social and economic systems if pSyK0kill3r666 and his like are running around like this was a MOBA?  
    That is easily fixed in any open world mmo.  Problem is none of the developers felt they needed to do it.  Which is quite sad really.  Everyone loves getting 1 shot by a lvl 90 in WOW pvp server and waiting 20 minutes before anyone shows up to stop him.  WOW never stopped to think ok lets put some rules on the pvp server.  No instead they made it crappy and don't worry but all the other mmo's did the same exact thing.  Suffer through 90 levels of horrible ganking.  No wonder MOBA's took over.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    filmoret said:
    whilan said:
    Kyleran said:

You as the victim lose out once.

The person killing you over and over again, can be punished for the 10 CDGs they committed. So when reported and caught/jailed/convicted etc. They'll lose spirit in 1 hit as if they had died once very 2.5 hours for 25 hours for those 10 kills. Equivalent to the level of crime.

IE: they go through a town and CDG a mayor, some other officials in a town and a few randoms.

The punishment handed down when caught and punished is equivalent to the level of fame you affected at the time. A Mayor won't be a level 1 pleeb on the list.

Say those 10 were spread over officials, that's say 5x officials at 1.5x penalty and 5x normal players at regular penalty. So for your 30minutes of rampage in that you succeeding in killing 10 people before you got stopped.

You've cost yourself 25 days of play-time compared to 20 days of play-time against the 10 pleebs.

Make one of those 10 killed a baron? That's 30 days lost.

Make that baron a count or sheriff? That's 38 days.

The more players you kill the quicker it adds up for yourself as you are punished at the relevant fame level of the person that you kill.

SURE! It requires capturing and convicting said players, but I imagine through play-testing the mechanic will be tuned and tweaked to make it easier/smoother to capture them.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    filmoret said:
    whilan said:
    Kyleran said:

That really depends on how they handle respawning. IF they put you in a bottleneck that's easily reached after killing a player, yes that will be a problem (SWG)... If not, it won't be an issue. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Distopia said:
    filmoret said:
    whilan said:
    Kyleran said:

That really depends on how they handle respawning. IF they put you in a bottleneck that's easily reached after killing a player, yes that will be a problem (SWG)... If not, than it won't be an issue. 
    Respawning will be similar to World of Warcraft (I never really dived too deep into other games so cannot recall their death/respawn mechanic) in that after spirit walking back to your body you will be a 'ghost' around it somewhere and choose to respawn then. It's a short distance but in doing so you can respawn behind a tree and make a bee-line away from your agressor.

They cannot stealth and be invisible like WOW allowed unless you stand on them in ghost form, and there's no UI names on-screen that stand-out because if you don't have LOS you won't see the player-tag. And you'll only see the player-tag if you know the player and/or they don't have their hood up when trying to run away from you if you happen to know them.

Those that respawn will come back with a 'death buff' which for a short duration is akin to a respawn rage mechanic we've been advised.

Actual play-through will see how it works obviously.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Avanah said:
    My favorite part of CoE:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/description

"• Sparks of Life | Chronicles of Elyria utilizes a new business model never before seen in MMOs. CoE hearkens back to the coin-op arcade model where, for $30, players buy a Spark of Life that grants a soul the opportunity to live for between 10 and 14 (Real Life) months, before establishing your Soul in a new character of your choosing. (Note: 1 Spark of Life comes with purchase of the game.)

The Spark of Life system also helps reduce griefing. If you kill another character in-game, your face goes up on a wanted poster and a bounty token is created for you. This not only keeps you out of cities, but also means you can be taken to 'jail' which significantly reduces your lifespan, adding real financial repercussions to your in-game decisions. "

Was nice knowing you guys. :lol: 

You are seriously delusional if you think that will deter griefers.  I think the term ROFL fits here nicely.  I watch it happen in Eve all the time, griefers running expensive ships that they know will get blown up.  They just buy some more plex.  

Hard to believe how naive people are that they think this will reduce griefing.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Gotta ask the obvious question: what happens if you just suck at this game lol just how frequently might one need to shell out 30 bucks for the right to keep playing? 

I mean, as they explained it, if you fail to get back to your body in time, the silver thread is cut and your soul moves on...does this mean I need to pay 30 bucks again? What if it was my first time and I could, for whatever reason, find my dead ass lol.

rhis also seems like a means of punishing unsuccessful and/or unlucky players.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    filmoret said:

This has nothing to do with encouraging healthy pvp.  You are being penalized for pvp not griefing.  So two people want to fight and well the one who wins get penalized.  Thats crappy design.  There are tons of better ways to stop griefing without hindering people who actually want to pvp.
     To PvP...do you HAVE to kill the person  you are fighting? Isn't a KO good enouph?  You beat your opponent to a pulp that they can no longer fight. They are out...how does the need to kill them prove any more that you beat them?
    filmoret said:

This has nothing to do with encouraging healthy pvp.  You are being penalized for pvp not griefing.  So two people want to fight and well the one who wins get penalized.  Thats crappy design.  There are tons of better ways to stop griefing without hindering people who actually want to pvp.
     To PvP...do you HAVE to kill the person  you are fighting? Isn't a KO good enouph?  You beat your opponent to a pulp that they can no longer fight. They are out...how does the need to kill them prove any more that you beat them?
    Guess this system is completely foreign.  You saying that attacking a random player that they can be knocked out and you can just walk away and do it to another player?  Now if this is true be cautious because they can heal you and do it again for lols.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited May 2016
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Guess this system is completely foreign.  You saying that attacking a random player that they can be knocked out and you can just walk away and do it to another player?  Now if this is true be cautious because they can heal you and do it again for lols.
    Sounds like SWG, which in that case most people were respectful in duels (they'd incap you and end duel, then heal you) faction enemies not so much (they couldn't heal you though, so there was no issue with healing simply to grief). They almost always opted for a death blow though. That said, SWG had a different system all together. As it wasn't a free for all fest unless you wanted to war a bunch of guilds, or run overt all the time being attackable to faction enemies.

In the end it depends on the community, and how communal they truly are. IF it's the FFA crowd you can bet it will turn out as you suggest. If it turns those players away, this could be a rather healthy experience on the PVP side of things, considering the RP nature of the game as a whole...

Post edited by Distopia on

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Kyleran said:
    Yet another odd mechanic in a game full of them. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

WOW