Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are they ruining the lore?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited May 2016 in World of Warcraft
Warcraft;  Orcs vs Humans.  That is where it started.  Orcs were evil and they killed humans then ate the babies.  Trolls did the same thing.  Since the launch of WOW and the players themselves not wanting to be evil Orcs they have changed the lore so it is no longer Orcs vs Humans but Orcs and Humans vs something else.  Do you think they caved to the players instead of keeping the lore?
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    It's definitely a different direction, but I don't think it's a 'ruination'.  A war can't last forever, and there are plenty of better reasons for them to make a truce than to keep fighting.

When your world is being invaded by demon armies and all sorts of other things, how wise would it be to keep fighting each other rather than team up for survival?

I think it would have gotten old pretty fast if they didn't bring in outside forces; if it were just Orcs and Humans forever.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    It's a side story right?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    to be fair did that not start with WC3 and not WoW (maybe even some of WC2). So i guess my answer is: I prefer the nobel savage motif of the orc over the traditional brute with a club. Same with the humans, they are as bad if not worse than the orcs in Warcraft lore. 

This have been a good conversation

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    The Federation and Klingons eventually made peace, same thing here. (in fact some suspicious parallels in the story lines)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    filmoret said:
    Warcraft;  Orcs vs Humans.  That is where it started.  Orcs were evil and they killed humans then ate the babies.  Trolls did the same thing.  Since the launch of WOW and the players themselves not wanting to be evil Orcs they have changed the lore so it is no longer Orcs vs Humans but Orcs and Humans vs something else.  Do you think they caved to the players instead of keeping the lore?
    actually you got it wrong, humans enslaved orks, orks freed emselves and you kept hitting us!

we are the scotts, you are thr brittish. braveheart would have been on our side! :expressionless: 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Thane said:
    filmoret said:
    actually you got it wrong, humans enslaved orks, orks freed emselves and you kept hitting us!

we are the scotts, you are thr brittish. braveheart would have been on our side! :expressionless: 
    I was one that always thought lore was important for mmo's.  They have good,evil, neutral.  Lawful, neutral, chaotic.  It makes sense when you think about it.  Some races should be evil and some should be good.  Yes of course they can have differences but even SWTOR has messed up lore.  You got evil Jedi and good Sith.  Soon they will be working together to fight against something else.  They do it because sith don't want to be evil and orcs don't want to be evil either.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2016
    Part of what makes an MMO what  it is lies in the fact that it changes over time, rather a mirror on real life. Enemies become allies. Allies fracture into enemies. It is historical fact that this has happened all throughout our "real life" history, so why not in an MMO?

MMORPGs were never designed to remain static and unchanging. They were meant to evolve and shift. An MMO stuck in time is boring. I say good that orcs have evolved into, as @tawess put it, noble savages. Humans should perhaps be flattered that they have. Maybe that nausea inducing "light" of theirs has infecte....inspired orcs to see things differently.

FOR THE HORDE! ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Ashar1972Ashar1972 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    "Orcs were evil and they killed humans then ate the babies.  Trolls did the same thing." I think that might be a good start from a certain factor's perspective. However to hold it true for 10 years+ of story-telling would make for very poor 2-dimensional lore.
    I wen back and read the lore and found it very interesting.  So warcraft starts with orcs opening a portal and invading the human world by killing humans.  The second game there is a civil war amongst the orcs which gives humans/elves opportunity to strike.  The third game is a prequel and it tells us that the orcs were poisoned by demons and that is why they became evil and attacked the humans in the first place.
    Ashar1972 said:
    "Orcs were evil and they killed humans then ate the babies.  Trolls did the same thing." I think that might be a good start from a certain factor's perspective. However to hold it true for 10 years+ of story-telling would make for very poor 2-dimensional lore.
    To allow such drastic change as them becoming friends and going completely against their nature is just weak imo.  Allowing players to shape lore in a game will completely destroy everything.  Because lets face it every player has different views of how they should be when playing an orc.  We don't do that with animals in the real world.  If you are pretending to be a dog you do certain things to mimic actually being a dog.  Same should go for mmos.  If you want to be an orc then you should act like one and not like a gnome or fairy princess.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, it do go against the lore of the earlier games and I kinda feel that the old ways were more interesting but it is hardly the thing that "ruins" the lore. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    filmoret said:
    huh? do you know lore? Warcraft 1 horde isnt the same Horde. they are known as the Dark Horde, and the splintered the modern day faction Horde.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Kyleran said:
    The Federation and Klingons eventually made peace, same thing here. (in fact some suspicious parallels in the story lines)
    The Ferengis are not part of the Federation.

Greed is eternal.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Screw the lore

The only good Orc is a dead Orc

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    They keep coming up with the most lame and stupid "Plot twists" to prevent this.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    filmoret said:
    No orcs did not eat the babies or even humans, it was Trolls. It was the reason why Doomhammer broke alliance with Trolls and as a result fell to humans and most of them became enslaved, until of course green jesus freed them from slavery.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Robokapp said:
    Ashar1972 said:
    I don't know if that's exactly how it went...Most wow players accept the Alliance to be the eviller of the two.

Elf and Humans allied because of the Trolls killing both of the faction left and right and eating them alive. It was the 1st alliance, both humans and elves sent emissary to negotiate peace with trolls but as usual they ate the emissary and their guards. It was then both human and elves who were keeping a very thin line of peace among themselves decided to create a full alliance and eradicate the trolls. You can't really blame them for doing so.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.