Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The WoW Legacy Server wishlist

GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
Now that the debate over legacy WoW servers has attracted wider attention in the press, as a mind game (and highly unlikely to actually happen), list what would you want fixed/improved/added in the remote possibility of an official WoW server being released. Don't limit yourself to "logical" suggestions.

Let me start:
- I'd like Kharazan included, scaled down to a lvl60 cap. Modify the Kharazan access quest chain to fit in the existing vanilla dungeons/raids.
- I'd like the itemization introduced in BC, scaled down to the level cap.

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    All content, features, balance improvements, and bug fixes up through WoD.  Seems silly to want a rougher, shallower, gimped version of WOW when you could have a game that plays much deeper.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Original WoW as it was, blemishes and all, locked, and preferably NOT hosted by Blizzard because they can't help but muck with the code.

Bugs?  We found work arounds.

Class imbalances?  That was the way it was.  People lived with it.

Lag?  Disconnects?  Server queues?  All part of the ambience of the time.

What do I mean by locked?  Locked as in vanilla WoW server will ONLY ever run vanilla WoW.  You want Karazhan, you hop over to a TBC server.  

No server transfers, period (within vanilla servers, you can transfer off of a vanilla server to a tbc or later server).  You want on server X?  Reroll on it.  You're not going to show up decked out and faceroll on your new server.  You want to change servers, you get to start all over from square one.  Makes choosing your server important, now doesn't it?  That's the point.

Not that any of this is going to happen, but it's the way it should happen.
    Deeper in what way?  Simplified class specializations?  Garrison command tables?  Not sure what deeper you're talking about.  Vanilla WoW with none of the quality-of-life improvements from the present still blows Warlords of Draenor out of the water in terms of depth.
    The act of actually playing the game.

The vast majority of your time spent in WOW is in combat, and combat is vastly deeper now than it was at launch.

For example a fire mage might start the battle with Pyroblast and/or Polymorph, but after that their rotation was essentially "spam Fireball and use Fireblast on cooldown" (and Counterspell if the mob has something worth interrupting.)   Pretty damn shallow.

Whereas the modern fire mage rotation involves a much broader set of dynamic factors to master.

Basically decisions you make incredibly infrequently (you might go months without changing your spec) are almost meaningless to a game's depth, while decisions you make every single session (combat) are what really determines how deep a game is.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Galadourn said:
    Now that the debate over legacy WoW servers has attracted wider attention in the press, as a mind game (and highly unlikely to actually happen), list what would you want fixed/improved/added in the remote possibility of an official WoW server being released. Don't limit yourself to "logical" suggestions.

Let me start:
    - I'd like Kharazan included, scaled down to a lvl60 cap. Modify the Kharazan access quest chain to fit in the existing vanilla dungeons/raids.
    But, what is vanilla?

100 percent pure vanilla or nothing imo.
    Are you talking about PvP situations?  Or Raids perhaps?  Because when I last played Warlords of Draenor, almost every monster I encountered with my Hunter was a straight faceroll that required nothing but a simple 2 or 3 button rotation whereas in vanilla you often found yourself in situations where you had to trade aggro between yourself and your pet to stay alive, which required thinking on your feet.  You also had to keep your pet happy.  That meant having food on hand, and it had to be the right kind of food as well.  When enemies got too close to you, you put your bow or gun away and pulled out your ax.
    I'm talking about the game's strongest challenges. In WoD's toughest PVE content, things are very deep.  In Vanilla's toughest PVE content, things weren't as deep.  Why bother discussing the less interesting challenges in either era?

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Pepeq said:
    Original WoW as it was, blemishes and all, locked, and preferably NOT hosted by Blizzard because they can't help but muck with the code.

Bugs?  We found work arounds.

Class imbalances?  That was the way it was.  People lived with it.

Lag?  Disconnects?  Server queues?  All part of the ambience of the time.

What do I mean by locked?  Locked as in vanilla WoW server will ONLY ever run vanilla WoW.  You want Karazhan, you hop over to a TBC server.  

No server transfers, period (within vanilla servers, you can transfer off of a vanilla server to a tbc or later server).  You want on server X?  Reroll on it.  You're not going to show up decked out and faceroll on your new server.  You want to change servers, you get to start all over from square one.  Makes choosing your server important, now doesn't it?  That's the point.

Not that any of this is going to happen, but it's the way it should happen.
    I agree completely!
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    edited May 2016
    Old AV is a must for me. No TBC AV when it got nerfed to the ground and changed to make Arena more popular. I want Old 24hours AV!!! Old AV with NPC that can one shot you. those days were great.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited May 2016
    Mavolence said:
    Galadourn said:

Let me start:
    But, what is vanilla?

100 percent pure vanilla or nothing imo.
    yes, it is sort of an oxymoron to ask for a "vanilla" version with changes, but I was pondering on ways to add content without disturbing the core design of the game, i.e. the level cap and the classes/skills (im)balance that existed in WoW v. 1.12.1,
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I just want to be able to log in after i come back from work and not wait in que for 2 hours.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited May 2016
    Keep it simple start with vanilla wow, as it was, and slowly add patches until they've reached naxxramus.  The only big issue is that pally's were alliance only and provided a distinct  advantage in at least one raid.

If that's successful add a Vanilla+BC server and allow for paid transfers from the vanilla server or no transfers at all.