Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online has No Problem Getting New Players, but Retaining them is an Issue

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
edited May 2016 in EVE Online
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    The actually depressing is that "thing" that is supposed to be a tutorial...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2016
    Quite a statistic, and I definitely agree while EVE isn't for everyone likely it would appeal to more with a better starting experience.

Not everyone is willing to take my approach of downloading, printing and thoroughly reading about 10 game guides before even signing up for the tutorial. (pre video era)  :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Knowing you can set your skills for many months ahead without having to pay a subscription may be whats going on, therefore I am not convinced new folks or vets too, are leaving permanently.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    With the tutorial that EVE has.... Or the lack of a tutorial...  This isnt really hard to figure out.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Darkfall was the same way, tons of people tried it MOST all of them quit.  But they decided to listen to the people that stayed and not talk to the people that left and find out why.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    "EVE Online has No Problem Getting New Players"

BS....

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

BS....
    1.5M new players tried EVE last year.

Period.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Kyleran said:

BS....

Period.
    lol...yeah..."New players"

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited May 2016
    Kyleran said:

BS....

Period.
    lol...yeah..."New players"
    There is no point in arguing with Kyleran about Eve. It's like arguing with a brick wall. You're either with him or against him. To each their own though. I for one can't stand the game but we all have a game that we stand up for.

Fight the good fight Kyleran!
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    This is both a problem and a non-problem.

It's a problem because some of the players who we'd want to keep around are leaving before they "get it" or understand the game to a competent level.

It's a non-problem because EVE tends to scrape off the low-effort pond scum and shovel them to games where their whining and crying will be tolerated.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• 0vergil00vergil0 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Knowing you can set your skills for many months ahead without having to pay a subscription may be whats going on, therefore I am not convinced new folks or vets too, are leaving permanently.
    you can set up all you want beforehand ( to a max of 365 days of training )  but as soon you sub run out  training pause so you still need to either feed plex or stay subed
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2016

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited May 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

0vergil0 said:
    you can set up all you want beforehand ( to a max of 365 days of training )  but as soon you sub run out  training pause so you still need to either feed plex or stay subed
    It goes much higher than 365, one of my alts has 538 days queued.

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Haw I recently made a new account to stealth around on and let me tell you this..

If I were a new player I'd get the hell out of the game asap.

It's just not fun when you look around and realize..no matter what you do. No matter how much time you have invested.

Some asshole like me on my main account is one day going to make you question why you even bothered to learn what SP was. Because year near a decade and you get retarded.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    H0urg1ass said:

It's a non-problem because EVE tends to scrape off the low-effort pond scum and shovel them to games where their whining and crying will be tolerated.
    I always felt this type of attitude was a big part in SWG's issues to keep new players around, especially at the height of the PRe-cu era. I saw quite a bit of this type of chest thumping aimed at new players in that game when folks would ask questions/seek help or just not get it. This isn't an issue with players, it's an issue with game design, complex game design is important to many. Yet it's all for naught if you don't offer fun ways to learn the mechanics of a game. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SandyRavageSandyRavage Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I remember trying the game twice, the first time I got blown up in some corporation war so i quit because i didnt have much money to replace what i lost. The second time I was in low sec trying to figure out the exploration mechanics and someone blew me up, again, not much isk so i gave up.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I love the depth of eve and the varity of things it offers you to do. But I also hate the ship movement, control scheme of the game. It feels litterly like you are playing a spreadsheet and not playing a game. I honestly think that is the largest problem with the game. You play the interface and not the visuals of the game. Where if you log into other space games you feel you are controling the ship and playing the ship as opposed to watching a interface all the time.

If they could somehow capture the ship combat and movement of say Dreadnought then they would have zero issues getting new players into and sticking with the game. 

The reworking on the new player tutorial over and over is not going to get people to stay around. A drastic change to how the game plays would get people to stay around. I have played with 50+ people over the years trying eve out and almost all of them say the exact same thing. They hate the ship controls and how movement is handled. It feels like you play more with the interface then enjoying the beauty of the game.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited May 2016
    Weird.  I never felt it was Eve's tutorial that was the issue for player retention.  I made it through through two or three of their iterations of the "tutorial" just fine.  If they feel fixing that will fix the underlying issue then more power to them.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Distopia said:
    H0urg1ass said:

I always felt this type of attitude was a big part in SWG's issues to keep new players around, especially at the height of the PRe-cu era. I saw quite a bit of this type of chest thumping aimed at new players in that game when folks would ask questions/seek help or just not get it. This isn't an issue with players, it's an issue with game design, complex game design is important to many. Yet it's all for naught if you don't offer fun ways to learn the mechanics of a game. 
    EVE is one of the friendliest games I've ever seen when it comes to legitimately helping new players who don't come in the front door bitching about the difficulty.  Come in with a good attitude and willingness to learn and you'll get scooped up by a helpful corporation faster than you can blink.  There's several groups of people who have made teaching new players their entire profession, such as EVE University and the now-defunct Red vs. Blue.

Distopia said:

This isn't an issue with players, it's an issue with game design, complex game design is important to many. Yet it's all for naught if you don't offer fun ways to learn the mechanics of a game. 
    This part is true enough.  EVE is an extremely difficult game with a lot of concepts to memorize early on and the tutorial is absolutely terrible at imparting any of this knowledge.  There is currently a think-tank group within CCP who are working on this very situation as we speak.  They know that it sucks, we know that it sucks and we've been providing a lot of help and ideas on Reddit which is heavily trafficked by the CCP dev team.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I haven't played EVE for a while. It was fun while I played it several years ago. But, I did not play at the beginning and I did not join a "clan". I played with friends and we all enjoyed to the game together. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of things to do as a small group. None of use could seem to find any clan (corp) that wanted us. So over time we just drifted away from EVE to other games. EVE's problem (to us) was that it was not very welcoming to new players/groups.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I had few problems with Eve but I did a lot of home work.  Reading the general forums that offered advice and even the pirate web site forums to know how they operated, and down loading the software that setup your training builds and timed them for you.

The problem is, after the tutorial people want to explore so they head out into the wild wild west and die rather quickly, then they get laughed at.  I've seen it a lot in chat.  That's not much of an incentive to stay with the game and most players don't care that CCP is losing a potential income source everytime that happens.

The best thing I saw in Eve were training corps that actively prepared players for Eve before they went off on there own.  Problem is few players look for these corps or even know they exist.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    edited May 2016

It's extremely simple.  Getting blown up and losing all your shit is not player friendly.  This is the main reason why FFA PVP games have such small playerbases.  Eve's playerbase looks high but the reality is it's a ton of people with multiple accounts.  That's not to downplay it's success, it is definitely a good model for it's style of game, but it's never going to achieve mainstream success while it is that punishing.

BTW I say this as a player with around 25mil sp, I though I quit several years ago (shortly after the wormhole expansion, can't remember which one).

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche