Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A released Kickstarter MMO out there?

jeeshadowjeeshadow Member UncommonPosts: 123
My head is spinning with the number of crowdfunded MMO's that want you to pledge to keep the development going.  Seems like its been this way for a few years.

So my question is, can we list the crowdfunded MMO's that are actually released?  No longer in development, not in a beta, open or closed?  Just out there and released.  Which ones can you think of and how are they doing?

-Curious

Comments

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Elite Dangerous is the only one.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,735
    Elite:Dangerous is all I can think of, and that's not a "true" MMO, depending on who you ask.

It's also not a pure KS-funded project, as the crowdfunding was used to supplement the game dev budget.

And the studio that made the game was a well-established developer of single-player games, so not really indie...
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 551
    Pathfinder Online was released last year.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 514
    probably over 40++ kickstarter and i only can list elite dangerous too

and most of the features they have promise are not in the game yet lol....
    or they looked better in writing
  • WizardryWizardry Member EpicPosts: 14,947
    Never mind JUST kickstarters,i went through the entire Steam gaming list and could not see a single game i really felt an urge to play.I gave some consideration to FFIX being it is suppose to be a tad different than the original and same consideration to FVII but again i never really liked FVII that much so i ended up buying nothing and playing nothing.
    Only games on my radar in the entire game industry is the new DOOM,Dishonored 2 and a bit of the new Unreal Tournament.I would get into FFXV if the combat did not look so bad,the rest fo the game seems decent enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,412
    It shut down didnt it?
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 859
    edited May 2016
    It shut down didnt it?
    Yes it did.
    Post edited by fodell54 on
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Wizardry said:
    Never mind JUST kickstarters,i went through the entire Steam gaming list and could not see a single game i really felt an urge to play.I gave some consideration to FFIX being it is suppose to be a tad different than the original and same consideration to FVII but again i never really liked FVII that much so i ended up buying nothing and playing nothing.
    Only games on my radar in the entire game industry is the new DOOM,Dishonored 2 and a bit of the new Unreal Tournament.I would get into FFXV if the combat did not look so bad,the rest fo the game seems decent enough.
    If you are talking about FFXIV:ARR you should give it a try, there is a free trial.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,514
    Crowdfunding games only became a popular thing about 3 years ago. Considering the average development period of a fully funded MMO is 3-5 years, its probably going to be a while before most crowdfunded titles will be finished.

You can take a look at Crowfall, Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, Gloria Victis, Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar, Chronicles of Elyria to see just a few of the games that crowdfunding made possible.

• rage89rage89 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    edited May 2016
    path of exile im pretty sure was kickstarted crowd funded. its been released for awhile now and doing good. (they couldnt do kickstarter at first because it wasnt open for companies outside the US)
    Post edited by rage89 on
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,719
    Dullahan said:
    Crowdfunding games only became a popular thing about 3 years ago. Considering the average development period of a fully funded MMO is 3-5 years, its probably going to be a while before most crowdfunded titles will be finished.

You can take a look at Crowfall, Pantheon Rise of the Fallen, Gloria Victis, Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar, Chronicles of Elyria to see just a few of the games that crowdfunding made possible.
    Chronicles of Elyria hasn't funded yet...  I still think 900k for an unheard of company with no recognizable names is a big number given recent Kickstarters...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 1,865
    edited May 2016
    Wizardry said:
    This is your response in every single thread, the topic doesn't even matter. The content might differ slightly but you ALWAYS whine about lack of stuff to play, lack of MMOs, lack of fun and lack of quality. Just quit the genre completely, I have never met anyone disliking it as much as you do. 

OT: None. Project: Gorgon is being worked on as is SotA, those two seem to be closest to being finished. Star Citizen seems to be furthest away, they got a module and a massive, well developed cash shop  :p

Ps. This is not an attack, I am serious. Find something you enjoy. Judging from 99% of your posts it isn't here, so focus on the good, not the bad and get some positive energy flowing again.

Edit: Crowfall is coming along nicely as well. I am currently in the Alpha and they are progressing at an amazing rate, very impressed so far.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • Blurry.FaceBlurry.Face Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Dullahan said:

That and you sometimes have to consider the size of the developer teams and how much they have on hand. Artists tend to not work for free or the promise of future phat-lootz; cash is king. Programmers, writers, and designers might be a little more patient, but will also probably have day jobs if they aren't getting monies for their efforts (indy teams especially fall to this).
  • Prometheus2015Prometheus2015 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Dullahan said:

That and you sometimes have to consider the size of the developer teams and how much they have on hand. Artists tend to not work for free or the promise of future phat-lootz; cash is king. Programmers, writers, and designers might be a little more patient, but will also probably have day jobs if they aren't getting monies for their efforts (indy teams especially fall to this).
    People want MMO's to be released in a year or less.. Heck people want ALL games to be released in a year. Once you get into the development side of things you realise just how long it takes and the effort it takes to make a video game. Your appreciation of game companies goes way up after that.

Unless you are developing a simple app or a carbon copy of another game, it takes time, even with a big team and a budget. All the points you mention about Indy developers are good ones. It takes a lot of effort to make a cohesive team that will work for minimal pay, sometimes without pay and make that team last through to the end of development and release.
  • Blurry.FaceBlurry.Face Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Dangit, @Prometheus2015 are you stalking me? lol
  • Prometheus2015Prometheus2015 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Dangit, @Prometheus2015 are you stalking me? lol
    You i like.
  • madazzmadazz Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Lheiah said:
    Not an MMO in any way shape or form. You will never see more than 32 players on your screen. The game does not allow for any Massively Multiplayer gameplay. So no... not a kickstarter mmo.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,655
    Dullahan said:

....... and this is why the kickstarter model is ill suited to the development of MMORPGs. Kickstarter is a short term model one to two years, the long development time of games needs a different model of micro funding some sort of micro share model where you get equity in the final product or the opportunity to sell your shares back, with interest, after five years.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,514
    edited May 2016
    Dullahan said:

....... and this is why the kickstarter model is ill suited to the development of MMORPGs. Kickstarter is a short term model one to two years, the long development time of games needs a different model of micro funding some sort of micro share model where you get equity in the final product or the opportunity to sell your shares back, with interest, after five years.
    Crowdfunding is bad as the sole source of development income. Its not bad altogether though.

In most cases, it won't fund the entire game, but it should be enough to get up a working prototype which can then be used to garner further VC to complete the game. It can also serve as evidence to potential investors that there is a demand for the product. Its a win, win.

This is what you've seen with several titles such as Crowfall and Pantheon, but were it not for that initial financing provided by fans, they would like have struggled to get these projects off the ground.

I do agree though, a micro share model would be amazing. It would probably garner a lot more support as people would invest not only for the chance at a game they'd play, but for the potential monetary gains.
    Post edited by Dullahan on

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member RarePosts: 27,768
    madazz said:
    Lheiah said:
    Not an MMO in any way shape or form. You will never see more than 32 players on your screen. The game does not allow for any Massively Multiplayer gameplay. So no... not a kickstarter mmo.
    according to the game list on THIS site, it is a MMORPG. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,719
    madazz said:
    Lheiah said:
    As is Pillars of Eternity and many other single player games. They changed their listings a few months back to include all games.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,136
    Trove.

I bought a package during their crowdfunding campaign, and I'm very happy with how the released game turned out. 

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 426
    fodell54 said:
    It shut down didnt it?
    Yes it did.

It's still going and they're still charging people to play after an initial trial period.

I created this video about Pathfinder Online on April 15 and recorded the gameplay footage from the night before. The game is in pretty terrible shape. I would call it 'pre-alpha', but again... they are charging people to play it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member RarePosts: 27,768
    madazz said:
    Lheiah said:
    As is Pillars of Eternity and many other single player games. They changed their listings a few months back to include all games.
    You are not paying attention.

Next to Pillars of Eternity, it says "RPG".
    Bext to Elite Dangerous, it says "MMORPG".

So CLEARLY this website classifies Pillars of Eternity as a RPG, and Elite Dangerous as a MMORPG. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 1,865
    fodell54 said:
    It shut down didnt it?
    Yes it did.

It's still going and they're still charging people to play after an initial trial period.

I created this video about Pathfinder Online on April 15 and recorded the gameplay footage from the night before. The game is in pretty terrible shape. I would call it 'pre-alpha', but again... they are charging people to play it.

Completely off topic but thanks for that video. I was thinking about taking the plunge and buying Pathfinder Online. After this video, hmmm, not so much anymore.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...