Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avast is flagging your ads as malicious

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
Several times yesterday and today, when I'd load a page on this site, Avast would block something or other.  The URLs that it blocks are:

http://sitestatistic.net/www/delivery/ajs.php... and then a bunch of stuff to make the URL really long.

After seeing it happen several times, I've turned on ad blocking for now, which I'd prefer not to, as I know that you need the revenue.

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    So, if you had ad blocking turned off and it wasn't considered malicious by Avast, how is the ad generating revenue for MMORPG.com if you don't click on it?

Pretty sure the #1 advice of any virus protection software is to NEVER click on any ads, regardless of how safe it may appear.

So unless you click on them, you're generating nothing monetarily for MMORPG.com.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    I will look into this asap.  Thanks for letting us know!

Pepeq - that is not true. We sell ads by CPM, which based on how many times its seen.  People pay for billboards and magazine ads and they are not clickable...

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Admin said:

Pepeq - that is not true. We sell ads by CPM, which based on how many times its seen.  People pay for billboards and magazine ads and they are not clickable...
    So basically you are saying that you get credit for every time a person switches pages on your site.  So for example, you got credit for me posting in this thread (because it switched pages) and you also will get credit for me switching back to the main page.  Short of actually clicking on an ad, there can be no other proof that it *may* have been seen.  In other words, even with ad blockers, which typically block the content on the users end, you're still getting credit because people can't navigate the site without switching pages and thereby generating a new set of ads.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    edited April 2016
    I take it when you talk ads you mean that mess in the background ususally depicting a set of oversized boobs on a nubile pre-teen cartoon?
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    They use CPM which is basically a view = impression.

The form you refer to CPA requires an "Action" like clicking.

Old site certs are common esp with trackers. Sometimes you want to keep the data as pristine as possible and that can require letting your cert go out of date. Advertisers want proof that ads are served after all.

If mmorpg did CPA they'd be screwed. Wrong market for CPA.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2016
    Pepeq said:
    Admin said:

So basically you are saying that you get credit for every time a person switches pages on your site.  So for example, you got credit for me posting in this thread (because it switched pages) and you also will get credit for me switching back to the main page.  Short of actually clicking on an ad, there can be no other proof that it *may* have been seen.  In other words, even with ad blockers, which typically block the content on the users end, you're still getting credit because people can't navigate the site without switching pages and thereby generating a new set of ads.
    Ad blockers block the IP address of the advertising servers. Therefore it blocks loading anything from that server. So no, the ads are never viewed because they are prevented from even being downloaded to your browser.

Ad blockers are little more than an automatic self updating hosts file.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Pepeq said:
    Admin said:

I'm not seeing a problem with this.  They have to make money somehow and most ppl don't click on ads.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Grunty said:
    Pepeq said:
    Admin said:

Ad blockers block the IP address of the advertising servers. Therefore it blocks loading anything from that server. So no, the ads are never viewed because they are prevented from even being downloaded to your browser.

Ad blockers are little more than an automatic self updating hosts file.
    Grunty is correct - the ad server knows if the ad has been delivered or not.  Ad blockers never allow the ad to load and therefore it is never called to the ad server so zero impressions are counted.  More advanced ad servers now are also not loading an ad unit until a user scrolls it into view.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.