Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobile Gaming is King, and Consoles retake lead from PC

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
edited April 2016 in General Gaming
Per this article: http://www.businessinsider.com/mobile-gaming-will-surpass-legacy-gaming-in-2016-2016-4

"According to the report, mobile gaming will grow 21% YoY to almost $37 billion in 2016 from $30 billion in 2015. By 2019, that number will swell to $52.5 billion, or 45% of total worldwide gaming revenue.

China will account for about 25% of the market this year with $24 billion in gaming revenue. And gaming revenue from the Asia Pacific region as a whole will represent almost half (47%) of all revenue in 2016.

Console games, by contrast, will account for 26% of global gaming revenue in 2019, down from 30% in 2015. PCs will follow suit, with a drop from 28% in 2015 to 25% in 2019. But even with these declines, total revenue from these two segments will continue to rise."

PC gaming saw a huge surge to overtake consoles the last 3 years in revenue, but it looks like it's predicted to drop below consoles by 2019.

What we didn't see in the report... VR gaming.. which -- if it accounts for a piece of PC rather than mobile (it could possibly account for all 3 - PC, Console and Mobile)  it doesn't appear that it's drastically increasing or changing the revenue streams by 2019 based on these reports. 

What do you all think?  Is Mobile the future?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2016
    lol..

the endless debate and furious argument that PC game sells are better than consoles or ever have in this millennium are STILL going on today.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

It depends on what your standards are.

For me mobile gaming is a bit like virtual sex.

Not as good as the real thing and only for people that don't have access to the real thing. 

that is a question to be asked in 2005 to late for that question now

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Can't report on VR gaming because it hasn't officially launched yet.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Not as good as the real thing and only for people that don't have access to the real thing. 
    I agree personally,  I feel like mobile games are great for diversions.. but I see why they are popular, simply due to accessibility.   

But because of this will we eventually see a saturation of the mobile market and a decline,  or will we see large core gaming companies focus more on mobile platforms?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    filmoret said:
    But.. it has launched.  And these are projections over the next 3 years.  It's been out on mobile since the S6 for samsung.  If nothing else you'd think it would factor in for the PC and Mobile as those are the two platforms that have launched to date.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    What they don't take into account is that you can have more than 1 platform, and most people do...And almost everybody has a mobile platform these days...nice to see people still spin numbers to make things up lol.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

What does that question mean ?

What is implied by "the future" ?

Are you asking if there will be no more console and PC games, only mobile ?

Cars didn't mean the end of bicycles, trains, buses or walking. Sure, the mobile game industry has massive growth potential. Almost everyone has a mobile phone these days, some even have multiple different phones.

But I really can't see anyone playing CoD or CS:GO on their mobile phone, lol

What does that question mean ?

What is implied by "the future" ?

Are you asking if there will be no more console and PC games, only mobile ?

Cars didn't mean the end of bicycles, trains, buses or walking. Sure, the mobile game industry has massive growth potential. Almost everyone has a mobile phone these days, some even have multiple different phones.

But I really can't see anyone playing CoD or CS:GO on their mobile phone, lol

exactly.

and to be honest at least with the people I know, the most 'mobile use' people I know would otherwise not be much of a computer user other than work and very much would not be playing any AAA titles ever, even if they knew what the word means which I doubt they do

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Sitting at the PC to game or lay on the couch with a Phone,Tablet or Console to game. Most people will pick the couch.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Yeah, not true.

I've been playing computer games since age 4, and I have something on my phone right now that is way beyond anything we had back then, and just as entertaining to me as the gamut of current Steam offerings.

In fact, it's seamlessly cross-platform; If I were to so choose, I could continue on my PC right where I left off on mobile, and vice-versa.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Hariken said:
    Sitting at the PC to game or lay on the couch with a Phone,Tablet or Console to game. Most people will pick the couch.
    I suspect most people choose their games on the basis of how enjoyable the gameplay is, not on how comfortably they are seated while playing their games.

Maybe it's just me, but I really can't imagine playing Civilization, Skyrim or War Thunder on a 5" screen, lol

Yeah, not true.

I've been playing computer games since age 4, and I have something on my phone right now that is way beyond anything we had back then, and just as entertaining to me as the gamut of current Steam offerings.

In fact, it's seamlessly cross-platform; If I were to so choose, I could continue on my PC right where I left off on mobile, and vice-versa.
    Sorry but it is true....for me. 

And not true...for you. 

As I said...it depends on your standards. 

I could never play am MMORPG on a mobile device because I like to RP in RPG's and trying to type on my phone.....fuck that. 

I will continue to use my phone to make phone calls and my PC to play games. 
    Hariken said:
    I suspect most people choose their games on the basis of how enjoyable the gameplay is, not on how comfortably they are seated while playing their games.

Maybe it's just me, but I really can't imagine playing Civilization, Skyrim or War Thunder on a 5" screen, lol
    You suspect... based on what metrics?

I'll only write from personal experience, but ergonomics and comfortability is a pretty big factor for me.  Once I tried playing a game in bed while falling asleep, I realized that being hunched over a keyboard in front of a computer screen is about the worst possible position to enjoy a game; I do enough of that at work!

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Mobile gaming doesn't even hit the same market as PC gaming.  How can mobile gaming overtake PC gaming and render PC gaming mute if it can't even offer the experience one can get on a PC?
    edited April 2016
    Colt47 said:
    Mobile gaming doesn't even hit the same market as PC gaming.  How can mobile gaming overtake PC gaming and render PC gaming mute if it can't even offer the experience one can get on a PC?
    Again, you are making assumptions prior to investigation.  See my first post ITT.

tl;dr phones have been able to "offer the experience one can get on a PC" since around 2010.  Currently, one of the hot trends in mobile space is to make things 'device agnostic'.  Not only can you get a PC experience on a phone, you can play the same character without losing progress from either a phone or PC.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    95% of the world can do mobile gaming but that doesn't mean it's what I"ll be doing.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Yeah, not true.

Oh gawd!!! That's not even fair! What is it? Are you in marketing? :) 

I tend to agree. I have a game on mobile right now that I might play more than I do console or PC games. It's totally P2W but I have some friends who brought me into it and I like the strategery involved.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

tl;dr phones have been able to "offer the experience one can get on a PC" since around 2010.  Currently, one of the hot trends in mobile space is to make things 'device agnostic'.  Not only can you get a PC experience on a phone, you can play the same character without losing progress from either a phone or PC.
    What like having 2 28" screens on my lap?
    Having a mouse to move the pointer around the screen in FPS games?
    Like having a keyboard so I can touch type at 100 characters a minute?
    Like having access to all my documents I use for keeping notes without having to close the game down to open the notes?
    Like having 7.1 Dolby sound?

Yeah, you got me, totally the same experience.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    But.. it has launched.  And these are projections over the next 3 years.  It's been out on mobile since the S6 for samsung.  If nothing else you'd think it would factor in for the PC and Mobile as those are the two platforms that have launched to date.
    Cant buy any VR headsets right now.  Unless you want to count those silly iphone glasses.  Untill you can goto Bestbuy or Walmart and actually buy a vr headset.  It hasn't launched yet.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    CrazKanuk said:

Yeah, not true.

Oh gawd!!! That's not even fair! What is it? Are you in marketing? :) 

I tend to agree. I have a game on mobile right now that I might play more than I do console or PC games. It's totally P2W but I have some friends who brought me into it and I like the strategery involved.
    We're all in marketing, man, although not all of us understand it.  Ever watch The Jonses? Marketing is part of what I do for a living, but it has nothing to do with my posts here.  This is strictly a hobby, for me.

As far as what it is, I have a superstition about stating its name.

tl;dr phones have been able to "offer the experience one can get on a PC" since around 2010.  

LMAO !

I think what you meant is that "PC's have been able to offer the experience you can get on a phone since... well, forever".

The opposite is not even remotely true.

Angry Birds works equally well on tablet or PC. Skyrim not so much...
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Personally I can't really get into a mobile game like I do with PC games. Maybe I'm old and not hip, but that's how I feel.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

I call mobile gaming, poop gaming. Its games that can keep you busy while you poop. Thats why games like Clash of Clans, Clash Royal, Candy Crush are doing so well. When you have a few min to spare, there are tones of games willing to fill that need. As for playing for hours and hours on your phone. I will never see that being a thing for most people. 
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I got an ipod air and I now rather lay on the couch and play mobile apps games..I play clash of clan, boom beach, star wars commander and texas hold-em with zero complaints. When I am bored with that, maybe ill get up from couch and crawl over to the desktop and play MMOs. Its a great time to be alive!