Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlocking Races Through Content

EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
edited April 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
How do you feel about unlocking certain races through content? What I mean is you will have a certain amount of races to select from at the start of the game. This would pertain to any other non common races in the world. A good example would be the animal humanoid races. Perhaps you can unlock a race by simply progressing? Or you can unlock a Race by earning high favor with certain factions to unlock a race through reputation? This might be another interesting thing a player could work towards. Vote and let me know how you feel. Good or Bad idea and why? 

Comments

• HeronnHeronn Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited April 2016
    This is kind of a meaningless question because as long as you are just talking about just the race and not the class, if the race itself is needed to be locked because of monetization reasons than there really nothing to be done or if its a race that fits with the main theme of the game(like playing a robot in a game about robots), than I would dislike such a race to be locked.
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    I wish people would actually read the context of the poll before commenting. I did specify that this would only pertain to non common races in the world. Of course it would just be unlocking a race that can be certain classes whatever they may be. I never mentioned monetization. I simply mentioned through content of the game. ...Please read again
    And to be clear I am not saying which is better or not. Both aspects are perfectly fine. It may be interesting to unlock non common races through lore and content. 
  • HeronnHeronn Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I understand that, but I am saying that this can never be put under the light of the argument 'less is more' sort. Obviously players want to be unique and what better way of putting it than by giving them you know.. options. The only time I could ever see a useful employment of achievement unlocks is when there is no direct involvement with what is being seen on screen. Truth.. but it hurts to some I suppose...
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    No.

Just like classes. If I'm going to be forced to play a race/class I don't enjoy until I can play the class I want to play (Skyforge for example) it's going to be annoying.

If on the other hand, you unlock advanced classes, that is something else.

Your opinion does not constitute truth lol. I think you're assuming you only get 1 or 2 races at character selection and then you have to earn to unlock the rest. That is not what I am implying. Again, and last time I am going to repeat my self. This only pertains to races that are not common in the game world. This does not negate options. Perhaps there are only 2-3 races that you can unlock but at character selection you have a choice of 10 races. It's truly not difficult to comprehend this sir.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited April 2016
    Something (races)like werewolf , vampire or undead ?

I don't like to level up an character just to create another character with new race/classes , but a chose to become something else in middle of game always good to have .
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited April 2016
    It's still forcing people to play as something they might not want to play.

Not many people enjoy restarting from fresh once they have spent a lot of time on a character (I know I don't). So unless you can race change once you unlock these new races, my answer remains the same.

No.

(Also for someone who is "not" trying to imply his way, you're trying way to hard to justify)

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    It would open new possibilities for the genre.  You could also make certain classes unlock as well.  WOW did it with death knights.  Or whatever they are called in that game.  It would be cool if only certain people were able to unlock classes/races  or you have a limited number of players who could play them.  I always thought of making ESO wvw the ability to play a Giant but only allow 3 per faction and make it so you would wait in queue in order to play yours once one died.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    The implications of unlocking races through progression - at least to me indicates the requirement or potential to need to reroll and replay the game - A fundamental process I am completely against.

This cheapens the investment you have in your current character and serves really no purpose other than a barrier to entry. If they were to approach it as a magical transmutation from your current race to another within the context of the game - then sure!

But otherwise, fuck no. That idea deserves to be strangled in its crib with its own intestines.

Then set on fire.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Only if the races being unlocked had definite advantages and disadvantages much like ESO does with Vamps and WWs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If it's a game I really like it won't make a difference because I'll get access just by playing the game a lot.  If it's a game I don't like then I won't care about the extra races.  Very seldom is just access to a certain race a game changer.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Kyleran said:
    Only if the races being unlocked had definite advantages and disadvantages much like ESO does with Vamps and WWs.
    I would say that is a fair assessment. 
  • DarkalloyDarkalloy Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Didn't Tabula Rasa have playable "races" and classes locked behind the story content... I do miss that game.
  • refo18refo18 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I think it could work, giving new breath to "end game" by making you re-roll with another race & class.  
    Of course these new races would have to have different starting points and a different vibe than the original experience.  

Ex: typical races (human, dwarfs, elfs) but endgame depending on your actions and loyalties and what not you could play a dragonoid or other humanoid and experience a new side to the game, either by changing alliances (cant go in certain towns, or certain enemies become allied NPCs to you and vice versa)  

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I simply would not want to make a second character. Some games are alt friendly but many are not.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    My MMO design doesn't have races, but the single-player design of mine that I'm the most proud of is a newgame+/time loop game where you can earn transformation into an alternate race, then you have the option to start a new game as any race you've unlocked.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    I generally create the characters I want to create early on.  Unlocking new races later after I'm done creating characters and not going to make any more doesn't do me any good.  Any races not available when I start the game effectively don't exist and never will, unless I can freely change the race of an existing character upon unlocking a new race.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Realm of the Mad God was a fun game.   You should take a look at it.

Though instead of races it's for classes, and with perma death(that is part of the games advancement).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    A big yes for me, including classes if at all possible, with a few caveats:

• The unlock should be super rare
    • Whatever is unlocked should not be advertised at all - it should be a surprise
    • Whatever is unlocked needs to be very unique
    • Whatever is unlocked needs to be balanced
    I'll use some theoretical examples. Lets say that LotRO wouldn't let you play a hobbit from the start. However, if a player completed 100% of quests in the shire, unlocked all achievements, smoked every type of tobacco, ate every type of food and drank all types of ale, then they would unlock the hobbit race. 

The unlock wouldn't be advertised anywhere, so there would be no forced grind to unlock. Once unlocked, should be no way to tell how you did it so you can't inform others and turn it into a grind. 

What I wouldn't like to see is forced grind beforehand - I don't want to have to grind out one class to open up another. I also don't want to see alpha classes make a return, such as Jedi from SWG pre-cu. Whilst alpha classes were fine when they were super rare, once the unlock strategy was known and they became more common, it really upset the balance. 
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    NO if you half of the races locked and many of them with essential and desirable traits

YES if you have only 10% of the total races locked and they are completely non-essential
  • johndoepjohndoep Member UncommonPosts: 71
    As long as the player has the choice to choose whether or not to unlock these races.
    Nobody should be forced to unlock a race/class that will give the player a large advantage
    over other players simply because any other of the sort is not as good.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Unlocking Races.. no.  
    Unlocking advanced classes.. yes.

I don't mind if some of the advanced classes in the game require a bit of work in order to obtain, sort of like SWG was early on with Jedi.  It means that rather than a billion glow sticks running around, only the people who really push to be a Jedi get to be one.

Some other classes that are find with acquiring after character creation are Lich, Vampire, Shapeshifter or becoming a member of a super sekret guild like working for a few months to get into the thieves guild and then you get access to thieves guild equipment and abilities.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Such a vague question is impossible to answer, really.  There are so many different ways it could work(or not work) that it's really hard to say without knowing specifics of a particular game and its content, etc.

Generally, I like discovering/unlocking things, but if it's some sort of grind to unlock something followed by another grind because you have to restart to use it -- well, that's just awful.
    If re-rolling isn't required and "unlocking" them is more of a random discovery through general play(i.e., it's not something people have to focus on or slog through), I think it can be a nice feature.

So, again, it really depends on the game and how it fits in.  As some others have mentioned, turning into a Lich or something would be pretty cool, but I think unlocks should be rare and somewhat random so that people aren't just all obligated to pursue said races/classes.  There shouldn't be just some Who faction people need to grind for 3 weeks to become a Grinch or something.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Eronakis said:
    How do you feel about unlocking certain races through content? What I mean is you will have a certain amount of races to select from at the start of the game. This would pertain to any other non common races in the world. A good example would be the animal humanoid races. Perhaps you can unlock a race by simply progressing? Or you can unlock a Race by earning high favor with certain factions to unlock a race through reputation? This might be another interesting thing a player could work towards. Vote and let me know how you feel. Good or Bad idea and why? 

I wish you would just put yes/no without the comment afterward.  Because if I choose yes, does than mean yes or the stupid comment afterwards.  

In any case, unlocking is great.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"