Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

B&S vs Wildstar vs Archeage Population and Playability

Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
edited April 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Pros and Cons - (Only played Archeage so correct me if im wrong, rest of the info i got from the net)

Help me complete the info if you have played any, what do you think made you play it more ,or made you quit?

Blade&Soul:

Pros:

• Amasing Combat

• PvP Quality

• Action Combat

• Graphics&Animation

• Heaven for Pervs

• Not many F2P restrictions

• Very high server population

Cons:

• Grindy

• Bots/Hackers
  • Not much quality except for Skills

• Generic

• Repeatable quests and content

• Unoriginal

• Lack of inventory space

• Gold Spammers

• Unbalanced Pve

• All blade and no Soul -edit

Wildstar

Pros:

• Originality

• Action Combat

• PvPvE
  • Enviroment

• Custmisation

• Depth

• Housing

• Open World

• Can Swap roles

• Healthy Server Population after F2P

Cons:

• Gets Borring Fast

• Cartoonish graphics

• Ghosting in PvP

• Somewhat small zones with not so good transitions -edit
  • Simplified Combat -edit

Archeage

Pros:

• Game design itself

• Incredible Graphics

• Incredible Enviroment

• Originality

• Pirates

• Trading System

• Best Housing System on the market

• Complex Crafting System that requires less labour the higher lvl you are, and at the same time more resources

• Complex Farming

• Crimes and Bounties

• Completely Open World

• Exploration

• Factions

• Secrets

• Farming in the Wilds

• Diving

• Gliding - Best gliding system in the market

• Vehicles - Craftable

• Ships - Craftable

• Incredible Enviroment and Addiction

• Feedback got much better after the game failed, but too late

Cons:

• Very Low Server Population

• Trion

• Trion - Twice Just becouse its cause of Archeage's Downfall

• Catastrophic Limitations to Housing Space

• Harsh Labour Limitations

• Apex

• Apex unavailable via ingame currency

• Many items in Cash Shop unavailable via ingame currency

• Enchanting system stimulating P2W

• Regrading(Enchanting) Chances stimulating P2W

• Pure P2W game - Can buy Top gear with cash outright via Apex

• Feedback

• Heavy Forum Censorship by Trion

• Malversations

• Grind Heavy Game - You need to spend 2 weeks/Month to pay for Apex and resources needed that allow you to simply play

• Hackers - Many Hackers were Ignored by Trion becouse they were buying Apex as well

• Gold Spammers&Bots - These persisted up untill the end of 2015

• Many More - Publisher related Cons

Of course for Archeage i gave much more detailed description, and my personal oppinion is that i wont return to that game ever while it is being run by Trion, or untill they fix more than half of the cons mentioned.

What i am interested is how right and wrong i was about Blade&Soul and Wildstar and what i missed

So please ,shed some light on it if you have knowledge or played these games.This will help whomever is looking to decide which of these F2P games they ought to play.

Thank you in advance!

Post edited by Andel_Skaar on

Comments

• Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    This post has been originally posted on Reddit.
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited April 2016
    blade and soul does not have pvp quality over wildstars, what sort of crazy world are you living in with that head you wear. :dizzy:

Ghosting pvp in wildstar? odd as hell thing to say.

Blade and soul has no soul, archeage would be good but its just full of troubles from day one regarding money and plots etc etc the list for that one goes on but could of been great all the way through its playtime, its a big shame.

Looking at the pro's and cons of it all, wildstar seems to come out on top in that list you made, unless you feel that having more cons is a good thing, :confused:

Out of those three wildstar wins hands down from my viewpoint.

P.s why did you make a point that the post had been originally on reddit?
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I only played Wildstar after it went F2P but didn't last that long. For my personal preferences, two of the things you have as pros (action combat, open world) were actually it's biggest cons. 

The action combat - this was my biggest bugbear with the game. It sucked! The amount of brainpower required is minimal as you only have a small number of skills, so there are minimal choices to make. Combat was just really spammy - you're either spamming your easy rotation or spamming dodge. Wasn't engaging at all, but due to spammy nature it became a chore really quick. Classic case of instant gratification vs deep gameplay

Open World - Maybe I just didn't get far enough, but the world was far from open. Smallish zones with relatively linear questing paths. Constantly felt hemmed in by mountains at the edge of zones. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the world building within the zones, they just seemed very small, almost claustrophobic. 

Another big failure of Wildstar imo: User Interface. The default UI was just shockingly bad. It really felt that they'd just dumped all the info on the screen without any thought to structure of usability. I understand that you could mod the game to get better UIs, as well as rearrange stuff, but your default UI should be really good because most people are lazy. Combine the crap UI with flashy skill effects and endless telegraphs and you have a recipe for an epileptic fit. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    The major con for Blade and Soul right now is there are bots and hackers and NcWest has not said a word about what they're going to do about them.  They're banning some of them, but more needs to be done.

Most of the cons you listed aren't cons for me.  I've been at endgame now for 3 months and still play the game like 6-8 hours a day or more, so obviously it's kept me interested.

The PVE doesn't bring much new to the table, but it does it well.  The 1v1 PVP is the best PVP I've ever played in any video game in my life.

So good PVE and amazing PVP = a good MMORPG to me.  Plus the graphics and overall quality are very nice.  And since the game has been out for years in Korea, and they want to get us caught up so we can participate in the international PVP tourament at the end of the year, we get content updates at an incredibly fast pace, and will for the rest of this year.

I can't ask for much more.

As for the pros and cons of the other games, I disagree with most of them, but don't want to go through them all.  The reasons why I don't like Wildstar and Archeage:

Wildstar- graphics/atmosphere is childish.  Combat was terrible. 

Archeage- Hackers/exploiters ruined the game and Trion gave them slaps on the wrist for it.  Also Tab Target combat is pretty lame nowadays imo.
    edited April 2016
    wyldmagik said:
    blade and soul does not have pvp quality over wildstars, what sort of crazy world are you living in with that head you wear. :dizzy:

Ghosting pvp in wildstar? odd as hell thing to say.

Blade and soul has no soul, archeage would be good but its just full of troubles from day one regarding money and plots etc etc the list for that one goes on but could of been great all the way through its playtime, its a big shame.

Looking at the pro's and cons of it all, wildstar seems to come out on top in that list you made, unless you feel that having more cons is a good thing, :confused:

Out of those three wildstar wins hands down from my viewpoint.

P.s why did you make a point that the post had been originally on reddit?
    Im gonna add your remarks into the post, you seem to have played them and know.
    Becouse there is extra discussion and info there as well.

Still you cant simply compare those two in PvP ,Blade&Soul just has way more positive feedback on pvp than Wildstar, and Wildstar pvp servers have problem with population.

Ghosting is mentioned from several Wildstar PvP arena players on reddit.

B&S may be plain, dumbed down in some aspects but it very fun to play, thats what it comes down to ,fun.

Wildstar has its many perks as well but it had burden that even steam is having a hard time saving population wise.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    B&S combat is fun , but thats all it has going for it , i love the "traveling" too , but some zones have 0 dragon travel points and others have 10 ....at least has a story that is cliche at best with some twists, oh and boobs! lots of boobs !

AA - never liked the game , for lots of reasons....i loved flying around tho

Wildstar - dislike the combat and maybe is my pc but the fps is horrible >< , unable to enjoy it
    I like how one person described me B&S and im going to quote him:

"Well Blade and Soul has alot of content because it released 2012 I think in Asia and has good combat that is really good in 1 vs 1 PvP. It is even an esport in Asia.

Still, games in the East are different.. The grind is huge the Art style debatable and over all not that many people enjoy martial arts, flying around and walking on water stuff.

It is mainly popular at the moment because it is free, new, not horribly pay to win and is not full of bugs and has content, because it is actually quite old.. But thats about it."

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited April 2016
    I like how one person described me B&S and im going to quote him:

"Well Blade and Soul has alot of content because it released 2012 I think in Asia and has good combat that is really good in 1 vs 1 PvP. It is even an esport in Asia.

Still, games in the East are different.. The grind is huge the Art style debatable and over all not that many people enjoy martial arts, flying around and walking on water stuff.

It is mainly popular at the moment because it is free, new, not horribly pay to win and is not full of bugs and has content, because it is actually quite old.. But thats about it."

Eh, I wouldn't describe it that way, obviously because I'm a fan.

Compared to other MMOs, it's usually at least as good as them.  In some areas it excels wildly (1v1 PVP).

But for some reason, being as good or better than other MMOs isn't good enough.

Maybe I'm a simple gamer, but an action-combat MMO with good, solid PVE with tons to do and insanely good PVP is enough to make me happy.

Sure it doesn't usher in the next generation of MMORPGs, but a lot of new ideas and features come with their own set of problems.

BnS sticks to the tried and true formula of what works in MMOs and does it well.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I'm currently playing WildStar and it's really fun now that I don't follow my subjob objectives anymore that would always lead me to areas that would put at least 5+ more quests into my tracker... makes you want to ragequit.
    I do run into people from time to time but I had to queue for the first dungeon for over an hour.
    I'm not sure if the term "healthy population" really applies then.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Population means absolutely nothing to me....Could care less if 10 people or 1 million people are playing...I either like the game or I dont.
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    In my opinion, the way gear progression works in PvE in Blade and Soul is very unfriendly for new players / alts.

In most MMORPGs I played there was gear reset every time new level cap was introduced, you only need to run current max level content to catch up. The way it works in BnS, you have to run most of level 45 content in order to get weapon/accessories required to start level 50 upgrades. And without those upgrades you are cut off from most lucrative quests and dungeons which slows your progression even more.

Basically, if you are trying to catch up, unless you want to spend months doing it, the game design pushes you towards cash shop where you can buy NCoins and exchange them for game gold, as well as in-game currency that lets you skip running some of the level 45 content.

For the record, I am currently playing Blade and Soul ;)
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178
    Eh as a WS player I think that pro's and cons list is kinda bullshit.
    Why even add it at that point? AA is like the fleshed out list and it's by far the least complete of games of the entire lot.

As for you new players to WS. Almost everyone is at cap at some point.
    You don't get que pops very often at low levels. It's just a matter of everyone has done those lowbie dungeons to death teaching others. Only so many PGA you can do for folks.

At 50 I pop really fast for ques. Below and it can take some time.

Also remember that "zones" are more or less divided into "Lowbie" version and "Legit" version. It's a weird choice in design but that's Carbine for you.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Blade And Soul 
    Population means absolutely nothing to me....Could care less if 10 people or 1 million people are playing...I either like the game or I dont.
    :awesome: you must be great at parties

For real now, how do you expect to make a party for world boss, dungeon, pvp .. basically anything in mmo if there are not enough people to accomplish it in reasonable amount of time.
    Not even speaking of raids, takes 1h to make a raid in populated servers.

Its not only the general feeling ,well it is as well in my case,
                   but its common logic that certain amount of players are needed for servers to function properly.
  • Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I don't know why people seem so against cartoony graphics. They're way better than the graphics of most games, especially games that try for photorealism and fail miserably (Black Desert...).
    Zen00 said:
    I don't know why people seem so against cartoony graphics. They're way better than the graphics of most games, especially games that try for photorealism and fail miserably (Black Desert...).
    I've mentioned it as pros and cons alike becouse of that :) its very split oppinion but noticable trademark of Wildstar.

Also for example Archeage nailed photorealism, as many other things, too bad Trion said NOPE..
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    For archage, I would be surprised if the US server is more p2w than the korean server.
    AAAMEOW said:
    For archage, I would be surprised if the US server is more p2w than the korean server.
    I think i might play that game again, on some private server with no apex costs, and everything else the same.
    But it will take some time for that thing to come alive and become popular again.

For now, installing Blade&Soul, and i mean, now.