Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Truth About Gaming

13»

Comments

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Eadan1 said:
    Eadan1 said:

Subscription doesn't necesserily buy you better quality, but cash shops guarantee non existing quality.
    All sub-only games have cash shops too .. they are not mutually exclusive. 
    Then all those games suck.
    They suck because you don't like them or the suck because they aren't good games?

You know opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Eadan1 said:
    Eadan1 said:

Subscription doesn't necesserily buy you better quality, but cash shops guarantee non existing quality.
    All sub-only games have cash shops too .. they are not mutually exclusive. 
    Then all those games suck.
    Then every single game sucks for you. Luckily for the devs, there are others who find those games fun.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    I just want to get a hold of the drugs that the Eve players are taking.....srsly

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    A better video to check out might be Malcolm Gladwell's "Choice, Happiness, and Spaghetti Sauce" which pretty much puts the entire thing into perspective.

You've been marketed and consulted about and now you are in the matrix of the results of that data.

https://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_on_spaghetti_sauce?language=en

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    filmoret said:
    I never understood why trailers rarely had anything to do with gameplay.  Oh WOW look at that trailer and for some reason I don't realize it isnt the actual game at all.

Neverwinter trailer

Warcraft Mists of Pandaria trailer

Warcraft Legion trailer

My personal favorite because my friend couldn't wait for the game.  Neverwinter Nights trailer which has absolutely nothing at all to do with the game itself.
    Games have non gameplay related trailers, because it's showing the story not the gameplay DUH. Games like World of Warcraft that has been out for as long as i can remember don't need to show me gameplay trailer. Back when WotLK was coming out the WotLK trailer was so FREAKING cool all i wanted was to get to the Icecrown with muh guildmates and fight the epic fight against Arthas as The Lich King and his followers and the resurected dragon Sindragosa which you can see him resurecting in the trailier.
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    This is also a good think to read.  It's the story about how a company that offered a damn near perfect product almost went out of business because of it.  I call it "Why we can't have nice things"

"In fact, by the late 1980's, Corning’s entire Consumer Products Division, consisting of Pyrex, Corning Ware, Corelle, and Visions, was in trouble. In 1994, Corning Ware began offering a rapid-fire succession of new Corning Ware patterns in an attempt to still make a profit from an aging product line. Over the next four years, 13 new patterns were introduced, compared to only five during the first 10 years of production. But sadly, Corning Ware’s outstanding versatility and durability (it rarely broke and therefore seldom had to be replaced) led to its own demise.  In 1998, Corning’s entire Consumer Products Division was spun off as World Kitchens, Inc. and acquired by Borden. As part of the sale agreement, the Corning name had to be shed within three years. The World Kitchens name was substituted in 2000, but World Kitchens filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and was reorganized in 2002. Since 2004, it has been privately held and is located in Reston, VA. (World Kitchens also owns a bunch of other brands, including Pyrex, Corelle, Revere, Baker’s Secret, Magnalite, Chicago Cutlery, and OLFA.)

The original pyroceramic version of Corning Ware was removed from the U.S. market in the 1990s, but World Kitchens reintroduced it in 2009. Their website says their StoveTop products, available in Cornflower Blue and 3-4 other patterns (apparently not including Spice of Life), are safe to use in the freezer, a broiler, a microwave, and on the stovetop. But a word of warning:

DON’T use ANY Corning Ware pieces on the stovetop unless you’re absolutely SURE they’re made of pyroceram and/or their bottoms say they can be used that way!
    "

http://www.santafetradingpost.com/corning_ware_history.html

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Quirhid said:
    Yup... Just look at all the suckers who think a subscription buys them better quality.

In the past a sub ALWAYS meant better quality, but thanks to impatient gamers who hop from game to game, we get copies of previous games with a few bells added.
    So devs went the F2P model, which lasted a few years but it's dead now too.

The PC and subscriptions are coming back  :)
    No they are not coming back. B2p with cash shop and premium subscription benefits is coming.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    This struck a chord, everything this guy says is completely true. Scarey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEhgqGlyjQ
    Yup, pretty much exactly correct.  I fall for the crap as well with all the shooters I play.  Sad but true.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited May 2016
    I watched that video and pretty much everything the guy says is true but what I believe is that many,many people are aware of the situation. It is not like we are so stupid we do not realise these things but wanting to play and be entertained is a real thing too. We accept the current situation because even though things are like that and they are cheating us we still find entertainment and I like to play games.

I have a corning ware  set from like 30 years ago and its completely intact not even a chip. It was true that the company made something that was simply too good and drove themselves out of business.

We are in the position we are in now because when we had good games with subscriptions we became too greedy and wanted free games with no subscriptions. Market gave us that but then they had to make money so they wound up making systems that are designed to make you spend more money. Pretty soon like the manufacturers of Corning ware found themselves without work the people that make good games find that people just do not want to pay monthly to support their games. So they also introduced those systems into their sub games too and who says no to free money?  So now we have the current situation we have only ourselves to thank for the current state of things.

With consoles I think the console manufacturer found their consoles were lasting too long so now they are coming up with upgrades to the consoles faster to make parents spend the money and pay for new ones for their neglected kids so they can plop them down in front of one and forget them. All these companies don't want to end up like the Corning ware company.

Where are you going to go what are you going to do? I am getting older each day and I do not want to boycott the things I like because I do not want to regret not playing and enjoying myself while I still can do that. So even though I know that the quality of the things I am getting are below par I am still paying and playing.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Welcome to the grown up world where we vote for crooks, buy new petrol cars every 5 years, take our orders from morons and understand our impotent circumstance perfectly well.
  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    exile01 said:
    Quirhid said:
    Yup... Just look at all the suckers who think a subscription buys them better quality.

In the past a sub ALWAYS meant better quality, but thanks to impatient gamers who hop from game to game, we get copies of previous games with a few bells added.
    So devs went the F2P model, which lasted a few years but it's dead now too.

The PC and subscriptions are coming back  :)
    No they are not coming back. B2p with cash shop and premium subscription benefits is coming.
    Already happening, look at the games coming out in the next 5 years, many are subscription while just a few years ago every new game was F2P.
    Cash shops are here to stay sadly, as long as it's cosmetic, I can get over it.
    Premium subscriptions will die like F2P did.  :)
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited May 2016
    F2p won't die. It's been around since before uo  and will be around long after the last p2p and  b2p are long forgotten. 

And premiums will increase in cost,  popularity and acceptance. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    F2p won't die. It's been around since before uo  and will be around long after the last p2p and  b2p are long forgotten. 

And premiums will increase in cost,  popularity and acceptance. 
    The only games that continue to have premiums are on facebook and free browser gaming websites....lol
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Subs are the premium on f2p games and almost all  of them have  them.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.