Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Video) Open Letter to Blizzard Entertainment from Mark Kern

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    LOL, sounds like a "save our heritage" campaign.

Some good points for sure, but if it never happens not really a big deal, at least to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Isn't the problem with legacy servers that we know the game will eventually just turn into the current game again since it follows the same expansion progression? And if it stops before a certain expansion isn't the problem that we know eventually we will hit a wall and never be able to do anything new in the game?

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Deekins said:
    What is it with people wanting to go backwards. If we never made any strive to go forward, can you imagine where we would be?
    Whilst a valid point, it is also worth noting that "going forwards" does always mean "improving". Change is not always for the better. Sometimes it really is worth admitting that that new do-dad thingy didn't work out and roll it back.

I'm not saying that everything is worse now in WoW, just that "new" != "better".
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562

smells like 8 more years of O___a hehehe

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2016
    Funny how Blizzard hastened to post an official response on their forums just to get it in before this video was released.  They've been deleting any post or thread that so much as mentions legacy servers for two weeks now but they all the sudden had a change of heart?  Awwww ... how sweet of them to finally come around ... I'm sure the timing was purely coincidental.
    Seriously. You have to get over the conspiracy theory stuff. It hurts the legitimate conversation that can ensue and has been opened already. For Pete's sake. Stop looking for things that simply aren't there.

On a secondary note, I find it fascinating that Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street, as, if not more, influential as Mr. Kern had this to say on the issue, the emphasis italicized:

What is your opinion on the Nostalrius situation and legacy servers with world of warcraft as a whole? Would you be willing to voice your support for the petition alongside Mark Kern to create legacy servers that allow players to return to the game that they actually enjoyed?

I don't think it's appropriate for me to get involved here. I'm not just a normal player. I'm someone who worked on WoW for six years, so I feel like my voice would carry more weight than it should, more weight than someone who actually has skin in the game.

In terms of my thoughts on the topic, a lot of players keep asking, so I'll just quote myself on Twitter here:

• I've been asked this a lot. I'm not going to pick a side about who is right or wrong because it's probably not that simple

• I definitely feel for the players who lost something.

• But I'm sure Blizzard had good reasons. Maybe they had to protect their IP, because you can lose it if you do not. IDK.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NostalriusBegins/comments/4g5gpo/greg_ghostcrawler_streets_official_response/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    you can all say what you want about legacy, runescape did it and its almost as popular as the up to date client..... if not more popular, Infact if you go on to Twitch and look at what version people are streaming its old school runescape and not runescape 3. If you dont want to play legacy simply dont and keep playing the version you like playing.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    what people dont understand, you talk about what numbers, 10k here?
    now that's cute, but you won't compare those 10 somesish k to the actual ammount of playing users, or?

not sure how high it is, but i'd bet it still is around 4 million.

so maybe stop claiming that blizz ain't listening to it's community, this is was democracy was founded on, suppression of the minority. ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited April 2016

Why would you think it's a conspiracy theory?  What I said is true.  I participated in the forum discussions on legacy servers.  Every thread was deleted, every post was deleted.  Blizzard said absolutely nothing on the issue until hours before they knew Mark's video was going up.  Do you believe that's coincidence?  Come now ...  It's not a theory, it's what happened.  
    I think you give far more credence to Mr. Kern's ability to influence any decision Blizzard may or may not come to than is warranted. He's not employed there and hasn't been for over a decade. He's just another voice in the mix.

I am curious, however, about why other former Blizz devs, and I'm sure there are lots, haven't weighed in on the issue regardless of pro or con vanilla servers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Yep, their spies told them Mark was releasing a video.  So in just a few hours, they had a board meeting to make a rough draft to get it to their PR department to make a final draft that they could release to the public BEFORE Marks video went live.  It is on the internet, so it must be true.  FFS.  Some folks live in Lala Land.
    Haroo!
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I dont see where the problem with legacy servers is, running a few servers with vanilla wow wouldnt hurt blizz nor would it cost them anything, in fact, if they make it sub based, it would bring them more money.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    What it comes down to is that the entire situation with legacy servers coming up has now also rolled into the issues people are having with garrison and the mission tables.  

Ultimately, WoW today is differentiating itself by accessibility: There are very few MMORPGs someone can sit down and play for 10 minutes on an odd beaten morning to go run around ungoro or something and mine ore, or get a few good quests in without a diatribe of dialog getting in the way.  That being said, The game had this even in Vanilla.  What has changed is the leveling curve and too much emphasis on the individual instead of group endeavors, which is what makes an MMO an MMO.  Couple that with an extreme linearization of progression with few alternate paths to explore when leveling alternate characters, and we end up where we are today with Warlords of Draenor.

They have made many great systems that used to be external mods that current players will loath to be without, so getting something like legacy servers will be  difficult, but I think it would be worth it in the long run.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited April 2016
    And to think...

Last week it was that Blizzard wasn't even going to bother responding or commenting on the issue.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I think this whole cry sessions is there are people out there that cannot stand that World of Warcraft STILL exist and are trying everything in their powers from getting it to end so people will _(insert reason). I also think it is hypocritical that everyone wants vanilla wow because they're tired of Blizzard listening to them and improving the game for over ten years and now they want them to listen to them again and make it back the way it was... what?
  • AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    They had 200k signatures which was ignored until now you need half that for the government to look at a petition. lol

Even if  they did open them why would you want to give them the money when people have asked for it and they keep saying NO i know i wouldn't.
  • DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    I think eventually they will add those types of servers, but probably not until the game has far fewer subs then it does now.
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    I think this whole cry sessions is there are people out there that cannot stand that World of Warcraft STILL exist and are trying everything in their powers from getting it to end so people will _(insert reason). I also think it is hypocritical that everyone wants vanilla wow because they're tired of Blizzard listening to them and improving the game for over ten years and now they want them to listen to them again and make it back the way it was... what?
    It's confusing because the majority of people who appear to "want" vanilla WoW don't want pure vanilla wow.  They have visions of a more vanilla experience with a lot of the mod like systems that exist in the current game that weren't there originally.  There certainly are some die hard players that want to go back in time to the old days of vanilla without any of the modern trappings, but they are far fewer than the people just looking for a more immersive experience.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Torval hit the nail on the proverbial head, "Show them the money."

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited April 2016
    Some of you people like in your own little world.

Wow is the biggest mmo there is, certainly the biggest p2p mmo.  There is nothing that has even 1 million subs aside from wow.  The next biggest mmo down from wow is L1.

Wow at it's weakest point ever is still the biggest and most powerful mmo on the planet, I think they will be ok.  So what if legion does sell lower, it's still a monster.   For a small comparison, the private wow server had more players than XIV has worldwide (and that game cost an obscene amount of money to make...twice)

You guys are so caught up in yourself you don't see the bigger picture.  Saying legion will sell low is like saying a footballer will get 2 million less this year when they are pulling in 100 mill a year.  Wow is doing fine, Blizzard aren't worse for it doing less well because it's not even their most prized IP anymore (even though it's still the biggest MMO on the planet)

I played Wow for a year, I didn't even get to cap.  I don't even like Wow but even I can see ex players who have the "I wish my ex gf would get cancer mindset".   No amount of nay saying is going to stop wow being the most powerful mmo that exists.  Chances are you're still going to be complaining about how wow is dying in 20 years.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Colt47 said:
    It's confusing because the majority of people who appear to "want" vanilla WoW don't want pure vanilla wow.  They have visions of a more vanilla experience with a lot of the mod like systems that exist in the current game that weren't there originally.  There certainly are some die hard players that want to go back in time to the old days of vanilla without any of the modern trappings, but they are far fewer than the people just looking for a more immersive experience.
    The core things people who want Vanilla WOW and TBC want are the following.

No LFR or LFD
    Instances that require CC and to pull a pack at a time
    Dungeons where you can loose yourself in not a liner path through the Dungeon.
    No instance ports to the dungeons
    Raids that take longer than 3 to 4 weeks to do.  Think Kara, or ZQ, or MC, or any of these Raids
    Crafting that matters again.  I remember using crafted gear in Vanilla and TBC because it needed to be used. 

Some changes people will accept
    Today's LFG or FFXIVs Party Finder Tool
    The Raid Calendar
    A few more flight paths 
    Being able to Save any instance's progression so we can come back later with the same people
    EXP while gathering
    Less mobs in instances as long as you still need to CC\Kite\Off Tank some of the mobs and focus DPS in a kill order

None of these things which are consistently talked about break the community of WOW or hurt what the game was.  These tools also facilitate getting people together in a community which is what Vanilla WOW and TBC WOW was.  Today LFR\LFD killed off the community.  

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Torval said:
    laserit said:
    And to think...

Last week it was that Blizzard wasn't even going to bother responding or commenting on the issue.
    Oh what a difference a week makes, lol.

This is why I laugh when people say "Blizzard said 'No', they aren't going to make legacy servers, so give up and move on!".  Yeah, Blizzard also said Garrisons where "optional".  Blizzard says a lot of things. :)
    I don't remember Blizzard not going to comment on or respond to this. In fact why wouldn't they after they sent a takedown notice?

By the way, Blizzard still said no and said no for the foreseeable future. They said they have back and forth discussions on this internally at least annually. Obviously some people there like the idea and some don't, much like most company projects. They also said they have a line of communication open with the server pirates and are taking input from them.

We all say lots of things. It's what we do that matters. Show them the money.
    When they put up legacy servers, I'll be the first to subscribe! :)
    I am game too.  
  • MangledBLMangledBL Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Deekins said:
    I'm not going to watch that as my daughter is trying to fall asleep. But if that is about vanilla servers, well you know what. I happen to think Azeroth is perfectly fine the way it is now. I enjoy WoW at the present, and so do millions of others.

What is it with people wanting to go backwards. If we never made any strive to go forward, can you imagine where we would be? I love it how a vocal minority seems to think WoW right now is the worst ever. Well you know what, the millions still playing would like to disagree with them. And when the Expac drops, even more more will disagree. I enjoy all the little things added to WoW nowdays, it is great. I love the garrisons, I enjoy the pokemon fights to some extent, and I enjoy the other tiny things added for fun. I can't imagine going back to vanilla. It wasn't as great as everyone seems to think it was.

This is getting out of hand. WoW has released its statement, just because those that want a completely classic vanilla server don't like it doesn't like what Blizzard says, doesn't change the fact that Blizzard has spoken. At best from what Blizzard has said, all the exp boost and so forth turned off in the Azeroth of now.
    Please tell me how us Vets having wanting to take a trip down memory lane on our own server causes you problems?

You sound like a person that cries about this and that on TV.  I will tell you like I tell them, if you have such a problem with it, change the channel.. Or in your case, don't log in to the server.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I'm not even sure why current subscribers care if a Legacy/Progression server was created. It doesn't affect them. Continue to play Legion and onward. Let others, who want Legacy, to play it. It's odd to me how people are so god damn ignorant to their own selfishness.
  • MangledBLMangledBL Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Personally I really don't seem them coming out with Legacy servers anytime soon if they do have a change of heart.

I just don't think they want to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing new content so close to the launch of Overwatch...
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    LMFAO ... not gonna happen , and on another note ... Mr Kern i know you need a job , the local Dairy Queen needs someone to server up Vanilla shakes ... You would be perfect ...
    edited April 2016
    wormed said:
    I'm not even sure why current subscribers care if a Legacy/Progression server was created. It doesn't affect them. Continue to play Legion and onward. Let others, who want Legacy, to play it. It's odd to me how people are so god damn ignorant to their own selfishness.
    Ironic.

Is it not possible to turn that statement around with the same effect? 

World of Warcraft has moved on. If and until Blizzard shows proclivity to open classic servers, the continued salvo of insults launched by supporters of 'classic servers' to those who are perfectly content with the game as it is today could be construed, to use your own words, as "so ***** ignorant to their own selfishness". 

It is ill-suited for either "side" to demonize the other. In fact, we all represent two sides of the same coin as we all love WoW in any one of its many iterations.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯