Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Math scares me

124678

Comments

  • howstupidisthishowstupidisthis Member UncommonPosts: 147
    edited May 2016
    filmoret said:
    Drakmar said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.
    What difference does it make to you how anyone spends their money ?

    Your boy Derek claims to have made a million dollars designing games, yet all of his games are bug-ridden messes and no player base can be found in any of them.  That said.... Ask Derek where is "minimum viable product" is for all those who wasted their money on his game's, not one of them a viable product !

    You can say what you want but bottom line is that anything to do with the business end of the product is none of your business period. If you paid money for the game that's all you deserve to get. How they get there is none of yours or my business.

     
    After all the stuff Derek has said... I don't know anyone who takes that guy seriously any more.  But honestly anyone who wants to know the truth can realize that CIG has messed up royally.  That does not mean they won't deliver a product but they have caused a 6 million dollar game turn into something that costs more then 100 million and still not delivered.  Then they have spun everything to make it look like the 6 million dollar game has added scope and now it should cost over 65 million.  But when you look at what was promised in the original scope and what was added.  Well if you can see that much idk how anyone can take CIG seriously either.


    Nobody in their right mind expects SC to be released already, the scope has grown considerably.
    Naysayers should note, Wildstar took 9 years to make and millions of dollars and it's already going F2P.
    They lost millions, but the naysayers wont to talk about it.

    The reason is simple, Chris Roberts and CIG are not establishment and they don't have to cater to whiners and fools, which is really pissing off the current population of entitlement gamers.    :dizzy: 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited May 2016
    filmoret said:
    Drakmar said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.
    What difference does it make to you how anyone spends their money ?

    Your boy Derek claims to have made a million dollars designing games, yet all of his games are bug-ridden messes and no player base can be found in any of them.  That said.... Ask Derek where is "minimum viable product" is for all those who wasted their money on his game's, not one of them a viable product !

    You can say what you want but bottom line is that anything to do with the business end of the product is none of your business period. If you paid money for the game that's all you deserve to get. How they get there is none of yours or my business.

     
    After all the stuff Derek has said... I don't know anyone who takes that guy seriously any more.  But honestly anyone who wants to know the truth can realize that CIG has messed up royally.  That does not mean they won't deliver a product but they have caused a 6 million dollar game turn into something that costs more then 100 million and still not delivered.  Then they have spun everything to make it look like the 6 million dollar game has added scope and now it should cost over 65 million.  But when you look at what was promised in the original scope and what was added.  Well if you can see that much idk how anyone can take CIG seriously either.


    Nobody in their right mind expects SC to be released already, the scope has grown considerably.
    Naysayers should note, Wildstar took 9 years to make and millions of dollars and it's already going F2P.
    They lost millions, but the naysayers wont to talk about it.

    The reason is simple, Chris Roberts and CIG are not establishment and they don't have to cater to whiners and fools, which is really pissing off the current population of entitlement gamers.    :dizzy: 
    Really the scope has grown considerably?  What was added that costs over 40 million?  Publishing the game I understand could cost 10 mil but thats way back at the 20 million mark.  Don't list all the planets and ships because that really isnt adding to the scope.  Don't list alien languages or bobble heads thats kinda lame.  What exactly was added to the game that caused the scope to increase?  Something they actually raised money for and not something hidden like the 64 bit conversion.  Which would cost at least 20 million but it isn't listed as one of the stretch goals...

    And don't respond with a bunch of fluff give us something that makes sense.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    CrazKanuk said:

    Funny, do you give money to charity and then ask them where that money goes?
    Financially/Morally responsible people do.  I stopped donating to United Way due to a portion of my contributions funding a practice I am opposed to.   
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited May 2016
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Drakmar said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.
    What difference does it make to you how anyone spends their money ?

    Your boy Derek claims to have made a million dollars designing games, yet all of his games are bug-ridden messes and no player base can be found in any of them.  That said.... Ask Derek where is "minimum viable product" is for all those who wasted their money on his game's, not one of them a viable product !

    You can say what you want but bottom line is that anything to do with the business end of the product is none of your business period. If you paid money for the game that's all you deserve to get. How they get there is none of yours or my business.

     
    After all the stuff Derek has said... I don't know anyone who takes that guy seriously any more.  But honestly anyone who wants to know the truth can realize that CIG has messed up royally.  That does not mean they won't deliver a product but they have caused a 6 million dollar game turn into something that costs more then 100 million and still not delivered.  Then they have spun everything to make it look like the 6 million dollar game has added scope and now it should cost over 65 million.  But when you look at what was promised in the original scope and what was added.  Well if you can see that much idk how anyone can take CIG seriously either.


    Nobody in their right mind expects SC to be released already, the scope has grown considerably.
    Naysayers should note, Wildstar took 9 years to make and millions of dollars and it's already going F2P.
    They lost millions, but the naysayers wont to talk about it.

    The reason is simple, Chris Roberts and CIG are not establishment and they don't have to cater to whiners and fools, which is really pissing off the current population of entitlement gamers.    :dizzy: 
    Really the scope has grown considerably?  What was added that costs over 40 million?  Publishing the game I understand could cost 10 mil but thats way back at the 20 million mark.  Don't list all the planets and ships because that really isnt adding to the scope.  Don't list alien languages or bobble heads thats kinda lame.  What exactly was added to the game that caused the scope to increase?  Something they actually raised money for and not something hidden like the 64 bit conversion.  Which would cost at least 20 million but it isn't listed as one of the stretch goals...

    And don't respond with a bunch of fluff give us something that makes sense.
    Stop pretending ignorance. You're doing this all to often here, obviously in lack of any serious argument.

    The project shown on the KS has absolutely nothing to do with the project being developed now both in scope and complexity.

    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals 

  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Shodanas said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Drakmar said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.
    What difference does it make to you how anyone spends their money ?

    Your boy Derek claims to have made a million dollars designing games, yet all of his games are bug-ridden messes and no player base can be found in any of them.  That said.... Ask Derek where is "minimum viable product" is for all those who wasted their money on his game's, not one of them a viable product !

    You can say what you want but bottom line is that anything to do with the business end of the product is none of your business period. If you paid money for the game that's all you deserve to get. How they get there is none of yours or my business.

     
    After all the stuff Derek has said... I don't know anyone who takes that guy seriously any more.  But honestly anyone who wants to know the truth can realize that CIG has messed up royally.  That does not mean they won't deliver a product but they have caused a 6 million dollar game turn into something that costs more then 100 million and still not delivered.  Then they have spun everything to make it look like the 6 million dollar game has added scope and now it should cost over 65 million.  But when you look at what was promised in the original scope and what was added.  Well if you can see that much idk how anyone can take CIG seriously either.


    Nobody in their right mind expects SC to be released already, the scope has grown considerably.
    Naysayers should note, Wildstar took 9 years to make and millions of dollars and it's already going F2P.
    They lost millions, but the naysayers wont to talk about it.

    The reason is simple, Chris Roberts and CIG are not establishment and they don't have to cater to whiners and fools, which is really pissing off the current population of entitlement gamers.    :dizzy: 
    Really the scope has grown considerably?  What was added that costs over 40 million?  Publishing the game I understand could cost 10 mil but thats way back at the 20 million mark.  Don't list all the planets and ships because that really isnt adding to the scope.  Don't list alien languages or bobble heads thats kinda lame.  What exactly was added to the game that caused the scope to increase?  Something they actually raised money for and not something hidden like the 64 bit conversion.  Which would cost at least 20 million but it isn't listed as one of the stretch goals...

    And don't respond with a bunch of fluff give us something that makes sense.
    Stop pretending ignorance. You're doing this all to often here, obviously in lack of any serious argument.

    The project shown on the KS has absolutely nothing to do with the project being developed now both in scope and complexity.

    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals 

    The link is broken... Probably because they don't want you to know the kickstarter listed almost everything that is in the current scope.  Like I said  aside from ships and planets.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Talonsin said:

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    No need to throw mud at the man. He may not be Peter Molyneux but he does have a decent palmares.

    CR is the mind behind the Wing Commander series. It was his vision driving the production of said games. Then we have Starlancer a solid story driven space combat sim and Freelancer, an excellent game played by many up to present day with a number of high quality mods.

    Before Origin while studying in England he created Stryker's Run for the BBC micro and after forming Origin Systems he made Times of Lore. Both games pushed the boundaries in what was possible back then and received critical acclaim.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    filmoret said:
    Shodanas said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Drakmar said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.
    What difference does it make to you how anyone spends their money ?

    Your boy Derek claims to have made a million dollars designing games, yet all of his games are bug-ridden messes and no player base can be found in any of them.  That said.... Ask Derek where is "minimum viable product" is for all those who wasted their money on his game's, not one of them a viable product !

    You can say what you want but bottom line is that anything to do with the business end of the product is none of your business period. If you paid money for the game that's all you deserve to get. How they get there is none of yours or my business.

     
    After all the stuff Derek has said... I don't know anyone who takes that guy seriously any more.  But honestly anyone who wants to know the truth can realize that CIG has messed up royally.  That does not mean they won't deliver a product but they have caused a 6 million dollar game turn into something that costs more then 100 million and still not delivered.  Then they have spun everything to make it look like the 6 million dollar game has added scope and now it should cost over 65 million.  But when you look at what was promised in the original scope and what was added.  Well if you can see that much idk how anyone can take CIG seriously either.


    Nobody in their right mind expects SC to be released already, the scope has grown considerably.
    Naysayers should note, Wildstar took 9 years to make and millions of dollars and it's already going F2P.
    They lost millions, but the naysayers wont to talk about it.

    The reason is simple, Chris Roberts and CIG are not establishment and they don't have to cater to whiners and fools, which is really pissing off the current population of entitlement gamers.    :dizzy: 
    Really the scope has grown considerably?  What was added that costs over 40 million?  Publishing the game I understand could cost 10 mil but thats way back at the 20 million mark.  Don't list all the planets and ships because that really isnt adding to the scope.  Don't list alien languages or bobble heads thats kinda lame.  What exactly was added to the game that caused the scope to increase?  Something they actually raised money for and not something hidden like the 64 bit conversion.  Which would cost at least 20 million but it isn't listed as one of the stretch goals...

    And don't respond with a bunch of fluff give us something that makes sense.
    Stop pretending ignorance. You're doing this all to often here, obviously in lack of any serious argument.

    The project shown on the KS has absolutely nothing to do with the project being developed now both in scope and complexity.

    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals 

    The link is broken... Probably because they don't want you to know the kickstarter listed almost everything that is in the current scope.  Like I said  aside from ships and planets.
    The link works for me.

    Plus i know exactly what the KS showed since i am an early backer pledging before the transition to CiG's webpage. I also pledged for some of the 68 (you read correct, 68) stretch goals, many of them containing several features, added in said page.


    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals


  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Since the final stretch goal target they then almost doubled their money $65m to $113m.  There really are no excuses.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    edited May 2016
    Talonsin said:

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    Beat me to a response to this. Compare Freelancer development to this SC project.

    edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Since the final stretch goal target they then almost doubled their money $65m to $113m.  There really are no excuses.
    Except....profit perhaps....I know, stupid business model to make a profit but it might be worth throwing into the bowl.

    So they raise £65 million to make the game....and the rest is their profit. What is wrong with that?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Shodanas said:
    filmoret said:
    Shodanas said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Drakmar said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.
    What difference does it make to you how anyone spends their money ?

    Your boy Derek claims to have made a million dollars designing games, yet all of his games are bug-ridden messes and no player base can be found in any of them.  That said.... Ask Derek where is "minimum viable product" is for all those who wasted their money on his game's, not one of them a viable product !

    You can say what you want but bottom line is that anything to do with the business end of the product is none of your business period. If you paid money for the game that's all you deserve to get. How they get there is none of yours or my business.

     
    After all the stuff Derek has said... I don't know anyone who takes that guy seriously any more.  But honestly anyone who wants to know the truth can realize that CIG has messed up royally.  That does not mean they won't deliver a product but they have caused a 6 million dollar game turn into something that costs more then 100 million and still not delivered.  Then they have spun everything to make it look like the 6 million dollar game has added scope and now it should cost over 65 million.  But when you look at what was promised in the original scope and what was added.  Well if you can see that much idk how anyone can take CIG seriously either.


    Nobody in their right mind expects SC to be released already, the scope has grown considerably.
    Naysayers should note, Wildstar took 9 years to make and millions of dollars and it's already going F2P.
    They lost millions, but the naysayers wont to talk about it.

    The reason is simple, Chris Roberts and CIG are not establishment and they don't have to cater to whiners and fools, which is really pissing off the current population of entitlement gamers.    :dizzy: 
    Really the scope has grown considerably?  What was added that costs over 40 million?  Publishing the game I understand could cost 10 mil but thats way back at the 20 million mark.  Don't list all the planets and ships because that really isnt adding to the scope.  Don't list alien languages or bobble heads thats kinda lame.  What exactly was added to the game that caused the scope to increase?  Something they actually raised money for and not something hidden like the 64 bit conversion.  Which would cost at least 20 million but it isn't listed as one of the stretch goals...

    And don't respond with a bunch of fluff give us something that makes sense.
    Stop pretending ignorance. You're doing this all to often here, obviously in lack of any serious argument.

    The project shown on the KS has absolutely nothing to do with the project being developed now both in scope and complexity.

    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals 

    The link is broken... Probably because they don't want you to know the kickstarter listed almost everything that is in the current scope.  Like I said  aside from ships and planets.
    The link works for me.

    Plus i know exactly what the KS showed since i am an early backer pledging before the transition to CiG's webpage. I also pledged for some of the 68 (you read correct, 68) stretch goals, many of them containing several features, added in said page.


    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals


    Ok man I believe I have been simple in my questions and answers.  You have given us nothing.  A link that proves what I'm saying and disproves what you are saying.  Nothing has been added to the scope after 20 million mark.  I stop at this mark because it is the one that gave CIG the ability to publish the game.  I also understand that is very expensive.  However everything after 20 million ammounts to a bunch of words that mean absolutely nothing to the overall scope.  Just give examples of something significant added please and stop giving us links with 100 pages of bologna.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,254
    edited May 2016
    Talonsin said:

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    Ahhh, here it is again .... The "Car dealership". The nonsense found by the Goons and posted across the internet by TheSmarty. 
    Take the 3507 in the link above, replace it with another similar number. Suddenly .... THOUSANDS of Car dealers ;-) 

    Thats an online website for car sales  between Individuals. NOT owned by Chris Roberts. People privately offer their cars for sale, others can contact them. 

    Not even close.... And certainly no cigar....


    Have fun
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    Ahhh, here it is again .... The "Car dealership". The nonsense found by the Goons and posted across the internet by TheSmarty. 
    Take the 3507 in the link above, replace it with another similar number. Suddenly .... THOUSANDS of Car dealers ;-) 

    Thats an online website for car sales  between Individuals. NOT owned by Chris Roberts. People privately offer their cars for sale, others can contact them. 

    Not even close.... And certainly no cigar....


    Have fun
    Yea I don't think those links prove anything.  Except he handles a lot of business stuff.  Can't fault a man for living his life.  He probably has a business ebay account too but whats the big deal?  There is a difference between questioning things and trying to make someone look bad.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Shodanas said:
    Talonsin said:

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    No need to throw mud at the man. He may not be Peter Molyneux but he does have a decent palmares.

    CR is the mind behind the Wing Commander series. It was his vision driving the production of said games. Then we have Starlancer a solid story driven space combat sim and Freelancer, an excellent game played by many up to present day with a number of high quality mods.

    Before Origin while studying in England he created Stryker's Run for the BBC micro and after forming Origin Systems he made Times of Lore. Both games pushed the boundaries in what was possible back then and received critical acclaim.

    Really he helped found Origin Systems? That's odd because I don't see his name listed anywhere for founders of the company.

    If you want to talk in this discussion then please don't post crap like that.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Kefo said:
    Shodanas said:
    Talonsin said:

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    No need to throw mud at the man. He may not be Peter Molyneux but he does have a decent palmares.

    CR is the mind behind the Wing Commander series. It was his vision driving the production of said games. Then we have Starlancer a solid story driven space combat sim and Freelancer, an excellent game played by many up to present day with a number of high quality mods.

    Before Origin while studying in England he created Stryker's Run for the BBC micro and after forming Origin Systems he made Times of Lore. Both games pushed the boundaries in what was possible back then and received critical acclaim.

    Really he helped found Origin Systems? That's odd because I don't see his name listed anywhere for founders of the company.

    If you want to talk in this discussion then please don't post crap like that.
    If you want to talk in this discussion then a) stop acting as a juvenile who had his favorite toy taken away. b) stop being a provocateur by putting words in peoples mouths / writings. c) learn to read written English.

    Where in my post do i even remotely say that CR founded or helped founding or whatever Origin Systems?
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited May 2016
    filmoret said:
    Shodanas said:
    filmoret said:
    Shodanas said:
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Drakmar said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.
    What difference does it make to you how anyone spends their money ?

    Your boy Derek claims to have made a million dollars designing games, yet all of his games are bug-ridden messes and no player base can be found in any of them.  That said.... Ask Derek where is "minimum viable product" is for all those who wasted their money on his game's, not one of them a viable product !

    You can say what you want but bottom line is that anything to do with the business end of the product is none of your business period. If you paid money for the game that's all you deserve to get. How they get there is none of yours or my business.

     
    After all the stuff Derek has said... I don't know anyone who takes that guy seriously any more.  But honestly anyone who wants to know the truth can realize that CIG has messed up royally.  That does not mean they won't deliver a product but they have caused a 6 million dollar game turn into something that costs more then 100 million and still not delivered.  Then they have spun everything to make it look like the 6 million dollar game has added scope and now it should cost over 65 million.  But when you look at what was promised in the original scope and what was added.  Well if you can see that much idk how anyone can take CIG seriously either.


    Nobody in their right mind expects SC to be released already, the scope has grown considerably.
    Naysayers should note, Wildstar took 9 years to make and millions of dollars and it's already going F2P.
    They lost millions, but the naysayers wont to talk about it.

    The reason is simple, Chris Roberts and CIG are not establishment and they don't have to cater to whiners and fools, which is really pissing off the current population of entitlement gamers.    :dizzy: 
    Really the scope has grown considerably?  What was added that costs over 40 million?  Publishing the game I understand could cost 10 mil but thats way back at the 20 million mark.  Don't list all the planets and ships because that really isnt adding to the scope.  Don't list alien languages or bobble heads thats kinda lame.  What exactly was added to the game that caused the scope to increase?  Something they actually raised money for and not something hidden like the 64 bit conversion.  Which would cost at least 20 million but it isn't listed as one of the stretch goals...

    And don't respond with a bunch of fluff give us something that makes sense.
    Stop pretending ignorance. You're doing this all to often here, obviously in lack of any serious argument.

    The project shown on the KS has absolutely nothing to do with the project being developed now both in scope and complexity.

    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals 

    The link is broken... Probably because they don't want you to know the kickstarter listed almost everything that is in the current scope.  Like I said  aside from ships and planets.
    The link works for me.

    Plus i know exactly what the KS showed since i am an early backer pledging before the transition to CiG's webpage. I also pledged for some of the 68 (you read correct, 68) stretch goals, many of them containing several features, added in said page.


    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals


    Ok man I believe I have been simple in my questions and answers.  You have given us nothing.  A link that proves what I'm saying and disproves what you are saying.  Nothing has been added to the scope after 20 million mark.
    Read the stretch goals list past the 20 million mark. It is obviously that you have not done so. You just pulled this "20 million" out of.. you know from and you're trying to build up an argument around it.

    Read the list.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kefo said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Kefo said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    I find it hilarious that some people spend a lot of time trashing this game. What is your problem? Why do you care so much?
    Maybe read a little of the thread next time.  Not to mention it is equally hilarious people throw more money and never ask where it went or if it works.

    Funny, do you give money to charity and then ask them where that money goes? I think that the part that is hilarious about it is the level of accountability being requested. You pledged money, you didn't buy a seat on the board. Sorry, they have no responsibility to justify anything because you've entrusted them with your money. That is if you've entrusted them at all with anything, as it seems that plenty have given nothing yet ask for the most. 
    Well actually when I give to a charity I look into how much of the money is spent on administration, salaries, etc and what actually goes towards helping whatever the charity is supporting. 

    Not it sure if you are aware but Canadian charities are fully accountable to the government. If they have anything that looks funny then their charity status can be revoked and there goes their donations. 

    So yes I do ask them where they spend the money I give and most of them are quite happy to tell you how it's spent. 

    I thought you you as a fellow Canadian wouldn't have used that horrible example since it is extremely easy to poke holes in it.

    Lol, true enough. Actually, I donate to a hospital program and give directly to them opposed to using something like United Way. Damn you logic!!! 

    Either way, they don't have the same rules and regulations, so they really don't have to answer for themselves. Is it a problem? Probably less of a problem than what is being made of it. Also, it's people who have zero investment in it who are kicking up the biggest stink. Maybe people should start petitioning the government to place more regulations on these projects? I'm pretty sure it would be a more productive venture. No? I thought you as a fellow Canadian would have seen that by now. 

    Actually, I live pretty close to London (45 minutes), we should meet up and duke it out in person, lol. 
    CIG really should be answering to the backers though since they are the ones funding them. I know it's different rules then charities but if they want to say how it's the most open development ever then they should post some financials. I'm not asking for full disclosure here and I realize most of the people reading the reports would draw incorrect conclusions from them but it would be the easiest way to put the money issue to rest.

    lol I'm a scrawny science nerd so you could probably kick my ass. Maybe I could just bribe you with the ice cream we make here :)

    I have two views on it. First, if they were to open their books entirely it would be unprecedented. So do I really expect them to operate with full disclosure? No. On the other hand, they have raised over $100 million from fans, which is also unprecedented, so I'd love to see they books. BUT! And that's a big but. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that supports them NOT operating under full disclosure. There is plenty of evidence that shows that fans cannot handle truths about operating a company and spending money. If the fans, and by fans I mean people without any vested interest in the game who complain about it, were to have that sort of access, then every expenditure would need to be accompanied with a 3-page blog post explaining the reasoning behind it. Even that might not suffice. 

    That being said, we DO know that back in the fall of last year, someone requested information from the FTC regarding any sort of investigation into CIG under the Freedom of Information Act. The FTC had no related to any investigation. Therefore, there is obviously no wrong-doing that would even warrant an investigation, I suppose. Unless some US citizen requests a more recent update. See, THAT would be something productive. 

    That's ok, I'm just a computer nerd, and I'm a pacifist. Also, if you're a scientist, I don't want any of your genetically-engineered ice cream :P 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Shodanas said:
    Kefo said:
    Shodanas said:
    Talonsin said:

    Chris Roberts has a great track record and known for getting things done.

    Are you referring to his failed Digital Anvil Studios?  His failed movie company Ascendant Pictures or his car dealership?

    Car dealership: http://www.carsonlinefree.com/sites/inventory.cfm?dealerID=3507
     
    Same address used for his other businesses here: https://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/Austin/christopher-roberts/30216003.aspx?showall=true

    Besides working on the original Wing Commander games back in the early 90's with many other people helping, what are you referring to as this "great track record"?
    No need to throw mud at the man. He may not be Peter Molyneux but he does have a decent palmares.

    CR is the mind behind the Wing Commander series. It was his vision driving the production of said games. Then we have Starlancer a solid story driven space combat sim and Freelancer, an excellent game played by many up to present day with a number of high quality mods.

    Before Origin while studying in England he created Stryker's Run for the BBC micro and after forming Origin Systems he made Times of Lore. Both games pushed the boundaries in what was possible back then and received critical acclaim.

    Really he helped found Origin Systems? That's odd because I don't see his name listed anywhere for founders of the company.

    If you want to talk in this discussion then please don't post crap like that.
    If you want to talk in this discussion then a) stop acting as a juvenile who had his favorite toy taken away. b) stop being a provocateur by putting words in peoples mouths / writings. c) learn to read written English.

    Where in my post do i even remotely say that CR founded or helped founding or whatever Origin Systems?

    To be fair, you did say "...and after forming Origin Systems he made Times of Lore.", that defintiely sounds like he was a key member for the creation of the business.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220


    An interesting video of 32 vs 64 bit

  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,607


    An interesting video of 32 vs 64 bit

    been linked already and it still pure speculation. @  9:20  He says point blank he doesnt know what theyre doing at CiG just what they claim they were going to do. He does have a better grasp on what kerbal did because they have actually done (some) of it. Which he goes on for an extended period, so a 2 or 3 second passing comment on SC and a full 90-100 second explanation on Kerbal.

    His first statements basically blow most of the things the pro SC camp still tries to claim.

    HE basically over looks that they use ASPECTS of 64 bit not full blown 64 bit in every way they claim they were going to utilize it.

    Its the perfect semantics argument and why it gets made over and over again. Even he uses semantics. But he is basically trying to make the math easier for people to understand and how it will effect 'stuff' once it actually gets implemented.

    This video in no way shape or form proves anything about SC it actually reaffirms what many have said would happen with how SC explained their approach to it, by pointing out the negative issues it brings up.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,000
    Yeap it's 64 bit's alright and the procedural generation as come leaps and bounds since the last showcase.
    What they've managed to accomplish Is very impressive to say the least. https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=132888

  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited May 2016
    That only a prototype, it'll be impressive when they showcase it as multiplayer, transitional working tech, until then it's nothing more than just a bullshot. Lots of woo factor, not much else.

    Here's a post that addressed some of the reasons as to why it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

    "An atmospheric scattering effect isn't such a big deal nor the big challenge in doing PG planets. Pretty much every PG planet demo on youtube has it including all the small one man teams playing around with it from their "bedrooms". If anything atmospheric scattering can be used to hide and fade away terrain while being "shiny" and "earthlike" which seems to fool a lot of people into thinking "better". Same thing with the Inovae Engine.

    Case in point.

    With scattering in Outterra:


    With scattering turned off:


    Showing the planet "naked" and without that "shiny effect" is a much bigger challenge while also making it look good. Something that ED have accomplished. As soon as they start to add these kind of things on top of what they have peoples perception of the quality will go through the roof IMO. Hopefully this video from SC might actually speed up the process of getting there sooner in ED.

    The "fidelity" in the Star Citizen demo was actually nowhere near what can currently be seen in ED in regards to the PG terrain. Especially in terms of believable large scale features. What was shown was some rather generic noise algorithms applied pretty evenly across the entire surface of the planet as a heightmap. If they would remove the atmosphere layer and show that planet in full sunlight it would basically look like this currently...



    Now compare that to this in ED:


    Which is why we are only shown the nightside of the planet from afar at the moment.

    The fidelity in the custom made terrain around the base was higher of course, due to it being handmade, but all of the PG terrain around it was very simple compared to even many one man team efforts that have shown of videos on youtube. The terrain tech in SC will without question improve though and I look forward to seeing where it goes, but it's not like FD is gonna sit around on their hands doing nothing either. "


    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=203785&page=96&p=3274872&viewfull=1#post3274872

    Is there any other PG that they've showed off more recently?
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,607
    Babuinix said:
    Yeap it's 64 bit's alright and the procedural generation as come leaps and bounds since the last showcase.
    What they've managed to accomplish Is very impressive to say the least. https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=132888

    Bwahaahaaa

     the first video is IN ENGINE maybe even full blown CG so its garbage.

    The second video is a 'seamless' landing has a couple edited sections, the most obvious ones start right when theyre in the 'landing' phase. Not to mention theyre landing inside a hanger not on the planet surface.

    I could go all conspiracy theorist and say they made an instanced mod of the whole thing and that edited part and ending scene is just that something any game could do in an instance, to claim that as a 'seamless' planetary landing is beyond a joke and pretty much an outright lie. 

    And the third video is the same as the second, totally misrepresented as a 'livestream'. Them talking about it afterwards was live but the actual process was not and it was heavily edited just like the second one was.

    Now they did shoot a 'live' section at the end but that too was edited where he says 'park myself right above this thing here' @ 12:12 he was in 1st person and then suddenly he is in 3rd person. Then another similar edit at the same point the other two had right before they actually touch down. Then they pan the camera out and when he gets out of the seat he is suddenly facing the back of the ship? Why wouldnt he get out of the seat still facing the forward windows and then turn and walk out of the ship?

    I have commented on these videos before and I said the same things then. And while I am not using seamless the way they are trying to use it mine is definitely more relevant because these videos are most definitely not seamless.

    These videos were shot about 6 months ago if they had all that then why isnt it in the game now or even scheduled to be put in the game? Even a small mod of it. They have the dogfighting mod which is obviously only a small portion of what they want you to be able to do. Why not slap a planet in there and let you land on it?
  • DrakmarDrakmar Member UncommonPosts: 22
    rodarin said:
    But once again money raised DOES NOT correlate to anything, nor do I think it will cause anything. 


    Then how the hell are you so sure they don't have sufficient funds, or that the project will not get finished ?

    I swear people, speculate, contrive, fictionalize all kinds of crap but they NEVER have any proof to back it up !  
This discussion has been closed.