Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Intell is loosing / has lost the portable device cpu war, that much is clear.

However, i do not buy into this "pc market is collapsing" mantra. We've seen it before and it was fubar.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Shodanas said:

However, i do not buy into this "pc market is collapsing" mantra. We've seen it before and it was fubar.

I think the problem is that PC market has not really made a reason for business to upgrade their 2008 computers....
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Horusra said:
    Shodanas said:

I think the problem is that PC market has not really made a reason for business to upgrade their 2008 computers....
    Pretty much this.

The only computers I've purchased for business in the last 6 or 7 years has only been for expansion, not for performance.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    Shodanas said:

Pretty much this.

The only computers I've purchased for business in the last 6 or 7 years has only been for expansion, not for performance.

Gaming PC's are one thing...and that market is small compared to the business market.  Most businesses I know are trying to find way to use tablets and not PC's and the ones that need PC's really see no reason to upgrade hardware even though the comps at work suck.
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    Shodanas said:

Pretty much this.

Gaming PC's are one thing...and that market is small compared to the business market.  Most businesses I know are trying to find way to use tablets and not PC's and the ones that need PC's really see no reason to upgrade hardware even though the comps at work suck.
    Unfortunately tablets don't work too well for CAD as of yet. So I'm stuck using PC's  ;) 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Shodanas said:

there is at least 125 million PC gamers likely more

at the end of 2008 there was 1 billion actively used computers.

decline of the PC and PC gaming often get slapped together but they are two very different metrics.
    PC gaming is on the rise, new PC ownership is declining.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    edited April 2016

This is a little old, but only a year or so:

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/intel-reports-record-full-year-revenue-of-55-9-billion-generates-net-income-of-11-7-billion-up-22-percent-year-over-year/

Then we have this for comparison:

http://www.intc.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=950391

Client Computing Group revenue of $32.2 billion, down 8 percent from 2014.

Data Center Group revenue of $16.0 billion, up 11 percent from 2014.

Internet of Things Group revenue of $2.3 billion, up 7 percent from 2014.

Software and services operating segments revenue of $2.2 billion, down 2 percent from 2014.

Non-Volatile Memory Solution Group revenue up 21 percent from 2014.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    They are preparing to lose their crown to AMD. They have gotten aboard the AMD hype train and acted appropriately.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Intel is a hard company to work for around here and they have exhibited these knee jerk reactions before. Their culture is terrible by the way, definitely not a Sun Microsystems/Oracle culture. Most folks who come from Intel either have this battered wife look about them, or they come in ready to step on your face like they need to prove their worth. It's obviously not a  "Team" environment over there and I guess it's kinda like everyone for himself based on people I know who worked for Intel. They really do not value their employees and they project their whole need to keep people around quarter by quarter.

You could be hired on and promised 106k a year for a project that is supposed to last 4 years, then next quarter they downsize and lay people off. It's not really all just Intel though; it's the tech industry as whole. We have future proofed ourselves right out of a job.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
  • OfficerFriendlyEQ2OfficerFriendlyEQ2 Member UncommonPosts: 105

Years ago in sunny Arizona, Intel invested billions in a new fab, Fab 42. They even had Obama come out to showcase this large investment for jobs. They even had the worlds largest crane parked there jogging up the structure. this building was massive!

2 years or so ago they stopped worked. This large structure is nothing but a shell, empty of anything that can make chips.

Fast forward to today, 10k more layoffs

Intel relies on savvy technology in the semiconductor business. Machines that make the chips in a new way are in development and apparently cant bottom out yet to make the chips Intel needs to regain traction in the market. Can Intel out last the wait?

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    This is what happens when businesses only think about explosive growth instead of slow and steady.  Our entire economy has become too fixated on growth.  My Grandfather's business was able to weather any hardship as he put money aside for a rainy day instead of constantly investing in growth and expansion.  Eventually, we just can't afford to keep growing, it is unsustainable.

This is what happens when businesses only think about explosive growth instead of slow and steady.  Our entire economy has become too fixated on growth.  My Grandfather's business was able to weather any hardship as he put money aside for a rainy day instead of constantly investing in growth and expansion.  Eventually, we just can't afford to keep growing, it is unsustainable.
    It's a doubled edged sword. Especially when you have stockholder's holding it up next to your throat. 

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    This is sad news from the company that made the 8080 processor that ushered in the PC age in my opinion. We can argue about where computer's began and who was involved all day long. But this processor and the Altair 8800 was the modern PC's beginning.

And was Intel the company that invented the silicon wafer technology that made Integrated circuits so much easier to make?
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    laserit said:
    It's a doubled edged sword. Especially when you have stockholder's holding it up next to your throat. 
    I work for a company that is experiencing explosive growth with no end in sight for the demand growth for their products.  The growing pains are horrible for the lowest tiers of employees.  They haven't hired enough people and keep demanding more work out of us while the company is clearly reaping profits.  

There will be an end to that growth and there will be layoffs when that happens as they adjust to a normalized demand for their products.  I can only hope I get out before that happens and move on to the next high-growth company.

Intel will rebound eventually, when they discover some new tech that makes processors perform better.  The focus on the past ten years hasn't been an increase in speed, so they've had to rely on the data center market to keep their business going.  
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    laserit said:
    The problem is companies today spend the majority of their money in payouts to stockholders that Stockholders have become more important that the viability of the company past this quarter.  As long as the stockholders get their pay out today they dont care if tomorrow the company shuts down.  We have put ourselves in this spot because we all want to get rich fast yet that is unsustainable.  Slow growth is one thing and needing to grow over time, but today you might make 40% margins on your product, in 2 years CEOs and stockholders want a 90% margin.

I am not going to go all political on this site.  But its time people started getting their heads out of their asses and smell the coffee.  We are at the edge, if we dont educate ourselves about out government officials we will all fall on very hard times.  
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited April 2016
    Yah, thats whole other matter, stock exchange and stocks....just one crap (of many craps): CEO and higher ups will get rewarded if the please STOCKHOLDERS (who in most cases dont have anything to do with company whatsoever).

Just turn that around a bit. CEO and higherups get bonus if they please the WORKERS of the company :)
    danwest58 said:
    laserit said:
    The problem is companies today spend the majority of their money in payouts to stockholders that Stockholders have become more important that the viability of the company past this quarter.  As long as the stockholders get their pay out today they dont care if tomorrow the company shuts down.  We have put ourselves in this spot because we all want to get rich fast yet that is unsustainable.  Slow growth is one thing and needing to grow over time, but today you might make 40% margins on your product, in 2 years CEOs and stockholders want a 90% margin.

I am not going to go all political on this site.  But its time people started getting their heads out of their asses and smell the coffee.  We are at the edge, if we dont educate ourselves about out government officials we will all fall on very hard times.  
    We have to put in perspective, how much things have changed. The traditional way of doing certain things has been thrown on its head.

It used to be, that you saved for your retirement by buying bonds and putting your money in term deposits etc. With historic interest rates, this would be enough to comfortably fund your retirement. It was very secure.

That's gone.

Now to fund your retirement you have to risk your cash. You need returns of what those historical interest rates gave you. If things go south, you can in a matter of moments lose it all your gains. Things are very edgy. There is no security.

We are in a bad place.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Horusra said:
    Shodanas said:

Yup.  I don't see a need to upgrade unless something breaks or OS requires the new stuff.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Well, if they are a publicly traded stock, the current rules of the SEC are that you have to maximize for stock prices now or you could be cheating the shareholders.  Stocks were created to raise money for businesses not this money churning thing it has become.  The rules need to change to include short through long term. 

It is too easy to buy a company, reduce employees, raid retirement plans and sell off. It's crap.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:

Well, if they are a publicly traded stock, the current rules of the SEC are that you have to maximize for stock prices now or you could be cheating the shareholders.  Stocks were created to raise money for businesses not this money churning thing it has become.  The rules need to change to include short through long term. 

It is too easy to buy a company, reduce employees, raid retirement plans and sell off. It's crap.
    You can borrow the money to buy those companies for next to free.