Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haven't played since launch, worth getting into?

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
I'm interested in what you guys think. Would the game be worth learning, leveling, playing right now? Or should I focus my time on something like BDO.
When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    "I think BDO has far more depth"

That is just bloody laughable, right there. Lets see BDO do much with their characters regarding how they play it. Hmmmm left left right back, repeat... At least ESO has a WIDE variety in how you make your toon for killing stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    ESO has a lot to deliver in terms of story and setting. It definitely feels like an Elder Scrolls game, with slightly more linear content. To fully enjoy it, I think you need to enjoy reading dialogues and following the story of a game.

The game is also fairly well polished by now. The whole experience blends together nicely. Crafting is not bad, thought it's not super deep. World PvP was quite cool when I first tried it.

The game is definitely a very solo centric experience for the most part. So if the setting of the Elder Scrolls franchise appeals to you, you might enjoy this - I did.

BDO is a polar opposite. The story seems sub-par in my opinion, from the content to the way it is delivered. Questing is straight up "kill 10 rats" - in most cases there are no excuses for a story either, you simply go to a point on the map and kill stuff.

It is a more sandboxy experience though. The beauty of BDO is learning all of the game's peculiar systems. So if complex design and a broad range of gameplay systems is what you enjoy, BDO is something you could like.

Longevity wise, I personally (subjective obviously) don't think either game has it. ESO has a finite amount of content, so once you experience the story, it's kind of it. BDO is similar, except you will exhaust learning the systems and either have to PvP or leave. Both games will give you months of fun before that happens, if you enjoy what they offer.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Yeah, my problem with BDO was how shallow the combat is. Sure you can do a lot of "combo's", but most of the  time doing a combo doesn't really do that much more than just spamming a button or two. I left BDO before I got into anything else. I just went back to ESO. I only played to lvl12 or so at launch, but had to leave due to RL reasons. I'm enjoying it for what it is. I'm just playing casually. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     To me BDO is the game ESO should have been. BDO feels more like an Elder Scrolls style game than ESO ever could at this point.

In the end focus your time on the game you enjoy the most, I'd say. Personally I'm playing BDO because I've already moved on from most of these other titles. If Camelot Unchained turns out good, I'll be playing that since I already have money in it. Other than CU though, nothing else really looks better to me.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    If you love questing ESO is your game.  If you don't like questing and value freedom of choice, play something else.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I'd play 1-50 if you haven't already. If you like Elder Scrolls you will enjoy it, it's a nice themepark ride in the ES universe. Questing is done very well for an MMO, i'd say the best actually.  ESO fails as an ES game though, no open world, not much freedom in where you go, who you side with, and what you do. Some choice in Combat style, but it still gets repetitive eventually. PvP is terribly unbalanced and clunky. Combat is fun, and some of the mechanics are cool "blocking" , "dodging" and "interrupting" mainly.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I'd say play GW2 if you haven't already. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    OhhPaigey said:
    I'm interested in what you guys think. Would the game be worth learning, leveling, playing right now? Or should I focus my time on something like BDO.
    Well BDO and ESO are the two I currently play lol. They're very different. 

ESO has a very good story line and quests with stories that make sense. That isn't BDO's strong suit in any way shape or form. Another area where I would give the edge to ESO is character/class development options. You can mix and match class, weapon, guild, world and PVP abilities any way you want to create many unique builds. BDO is more traditional with locked classes with their own set weapon and only class abilities to use... BDO is also gender locked and ESO is not. That doesn't bother me about BDO but it bothers some.

The PVP in ESO is also more structured, in its own separate (huge) zone and 100% optional. BDO is Open World free for all PVP after level 45. I give the nod to ESO there too.

What BDO has over ESO is more sand and less theme and a more high res world that seems very authentic fantasy medieval... btter trees, better rocks, better water, better villages and cities, etx. It also has  one of the better weather and seasons systems I've ever seen. It's a more immersive world than ESO by far.

There is also more non-fighting stuff to do than in ESO and most of it is very well done.

I like them both for different reasons and if I could take the best parts of each and meld them, that would be one hell of an MMORPG.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited April 2016
    While it's far, far from perfect - it's probably the best MMO on the market that's not called WoW.

Strengths:

Exploration.
    Story/quests.
    Character system.
    Combat is decent.
    It's very big.
    Crafting is 100% viable in terms of gear power.
    Lore is fantastic.
    Immersion.
    Good dungeons.
    Solid content/DLC updates.
    Seems to have a bright future.

Weaknesses:

Character animation is awkward.
    Character models are not as attractive as they should be.
    While solo/small group PvP is possible - it's really more of a group/zerg thing.
    Not enough to do in PvE outside of questing - though latest DLC added a bit to it.
    I'm probably in the minority - but I think there's a lack of visual variety in many of the zones.
    Heavy story focus means group questing suffers, as there's a lot of waiting involved - and there are too many solo-only quests. Big negative if you're into grouping.
    Quests feel very derivative - as they seem to revolve around many of the same themes.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Did they fix the level grind?  Because I remember it was so bad I refused to do it more then once.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Iselin said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Well BDO and ESO are the two I currently play lol. They're very different. 

ESO has a very good story line and quests with stories that make sense. That isn't BDO's strong suit in any way shape or form. Another area where I would give the edge to ESO is character/class development options. You can mix and match class, weapon, guild, world and PVP abilities any way you want to create many unique builds. BDO is more traditional with locked classes with their own set weapon and only class abilities to use... BDO is also gender locked and ESO is not. That doesn't bother me about BDO but it bothers some.

The PVP in ESO is also more structured, in its own separate (huge) zone and 100% optional. BDO is Open World free for all PVP after level 45. I give the nod to ESO there too.

What BDO has over ESO is more sand and less theme and a more high res world that seems very authentic fantasy medieval... btter trees, better rocks, better water, better villages and cities, etx. It also has  one of the better weather and seasons systems I've ever seen. It's a more immersive world than ESO by far.

There is also more non-fighting stuff to do than in ESO and most of it is very well done.

I like them both for different reasons and if I could take the best parts of each and meld them, that would be one hell of an MMORPG.
    If PVP and crafting weren't really your thing, would you still play BDO? :-)

There Is Always Hope!

keithian said:

If PVP and crafting weren't really your thing, would you still play BDO? :-)
    Yeah but no clue for how long. I've played ESO on and off (mostly on) for 2 years and still enjoy it. It has only been a month and half for BDO.

But however long it lasts, no regrets. It's so different than what I'm used to that it's worth playing just for that. And the world building really is outstanding.

I usually look down on Korean MMOs and don't last long at all in them. This one is helping overcome my prejudice :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    ESO keeps resetting my skills....  :D

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

ESO keeps resetting my skills....  :D
    It's called a free re-spec... enjoy! :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KeyxikKeyxik Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I drop in occasionally when not playing other mmorpgs. I love the series so it is just like a welcome world I can go back to and feel (sort of) at home.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2016
    filmoret said:
    Did they fix the level grind?  Because I remember it was so bad I refused to do it more then once.
    If your issue was Veteran Ranks - having to take your character through the other two factions which "didn't seem right" with, essentially, beefed up mobs - then that is being removed when the next DLC comes out.

In essence in the "new" system (i.e. CS which already exists in part) you can level a faction 1 character through faction 1, a faction 2 character through faction 2, a faction 3 character through faction 3. So you seem involved in all the stories rather than "ghost walking" two of them. KEY POINT: because champion points earned on one character can be used on another character this means you can "level" character 1 by playing characters 2 and 3.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on